Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2019, 15:43   #3931
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Can feel the panic :-) I think you're fine though!

Your facelifted Octavia has a single mirror image of a 'C' similar to the Rapid.

I have the pre-facelift Octavia (MY2016) with LED twin 'C'.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-1.jpg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-3.jpg  

Last edited by itwasntme : 21st November 2019 at 15:45.
itwasntme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2019, 16:16   #3932
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Can feel the panic :-) I think you're fine though!

Your facelifted Octavia has a single mirror image of a 'C' similar to the Rapid.

I have the pre-facelift Octavia (MY2016) with LED twin 'C'.
Thank you for the help.
What I understand is that the first image you have sent is of the single C LED tail lamp which comes only in L&K variant. The style and ambition variants are having normal LED tail lamps. I am not sure whether they made any change in the Onyx.

Sumesh
Sumesh_Jazz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2019, 17:09   #3933
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumesh_Jazz View Post
Thank you for the help.
What I understand is that the first image you have sent is of the single C LED tail lamp which comes only in L&K variant. The style and ambition variants are having normal LED tail lamps. I am not sure whether they made any change in the Onyx.

Sumesh
I think the other 'C' is reserved for the brake lights. Try and ask someone to depress the brakes with the lights switched on and then check. Both the inner and outer Cs should be lit up.

The onyx is based on the style so it gets the prefacelift Octavia's LED taillamps. I don't think Skoda would change such minute detailing.

Last edited by vishy76 : 21st November 2019 at 17:11.
vishy76 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2019, 17:24   #3934
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
I think the other 'C' is reserved for the brake lights. Try and ask someone to depress the brakes with the lights switched on and then check. Both the inner and outer Cs should be lit up.

The onyx is based on the style so it gets the prefacelift Octavia's LED taillamps. I don't think Skoda would change such minute detailing.
Thank you for the suggestion. I would be checking the same today and will update.

Regards
Sumesh
Sumesh_Jazz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2019, 18:37   #3935
BHPian

A screenshot from the Autocar review of 2017 facelift:
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-screenshot_20191121181303__01.jpg
This particular car seems to be the Style Plus variant.
BigBrad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2019, 21:15   #3936
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumesh_Jazz View Post
When I switch on the head lamps of my Octavia Onyx, only the inner C of the tail LED gets lit. The outer C of the LED is not getting lit up. I am attaching a photo. Is this normal in current model of Octavia? I use to see both the inner and outer C of the tail LED lit up in other Octavia cars.
I think this is how it is on the non L&K/Style Plus face-lift cars. I remember seeing a post by a fellow BHPian on the same in his face-lift Ambition 1.4 TSI. I am assuming these are the same lights as in the Style variant. Attaching a link to the same post below.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4270628 (A close look: The 2017 Skoda Octavia Facelift with hands-free parking)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
As far as I know the brake lights are a set of Separate LED's arranged horizontally in the Style variant just like the pre-facelift cars. Would be great if any of the Style variant owners could chime in.
Abhinav_2502 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2019, 09:21   #3937
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhinav_2502 View Post
I think this is how it is on the non L&K/Style Plus face-lift cars. I remember seeing a post by a fellow BHPian on the same in his face-lift Ambition 1.4 TSI. I am assuming these are the same lights as in the Style variant.
I think your guess is right. Yesterday I have rechecked the tail lamp and found that only the inner C has filament inside. May be they modified the tail lamps in style and ambition variants also in the face-lifting made in 2017.

Thank you all for the help and clearing the doubts.

Sumesh
Sumesh_Jazz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th November 2019, 08:51   #3938

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygojer View Post
I'm having some strange problems and any help in this regard would be appreciated:
1. Had my mechatronics replaced a few months back. After I received it I noticed a peculiar behaviour almost every evening when i start the car and leave for home. The first time the car shifts from 2nd to 3rd there is a jerk. Doesn't repeat again and does not usually happen at any other time other than late evening. Could it be because my car is parked on a slope? Rather strange...

2. Last week my headlights refused to turn on either in auto or manual mode. Funnily after about 4 hours it started working normally again!
3. Today while I was driving to work the EPC warning light turned on, the AC stopped cooling and the safety mode engaged which means The power was severely reduced and I had to cruse at 30-40km. Within 5 minutes the engine started overheating and there's a loud whirring of the fan!!!
Towing the car to Tafe tomorrow.Can anyone help me with what I need to look out for. I feel like my car is possessed

Sorry forgot to mention that my car is a 1.8tsi and driven in Bangalore

I finally got my car back yesterday. Vishy76 was spot on in his diagnosis- thank you @Vishy76.
It was a thermostat failure and I had to have the unit replaced. As recommended I asked them to do a DSG reset and check for errors- no errors.
With regard to the headlight - seems like a faulty new battery that I had. They've given me the report for the replacement. Had a new battery replaced with TAFE and will have this swapped for another battery that I need. I had the headlight unit replaced since the LED was busted.

I have to acknowledge TAFE - they handled me very well and to top it all got the spares replaced under goodwill warranty.

Had no issues on my drive back home and in fact I believe the car seems smoother and the gear shifts like how it did before the mechatronics replacement. Happy as of now and hope this fixes all issues.

Thanks once again to all those who pitched in with their inputs and advice. It does help and is very reassuring to have a supportive community like this.
Jaygojer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th November 2019, 11:12   #3939
Distinguished - BHPian

Glad to know!

Will you kindly hide identifying details and post both your mechatronics bill and the latest one here? Will be useful to others facing the same issues in terms of part numbers etc.
Old 25th November 2019, 09:51   #3940
sud
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sud View Post
~97.5K kms - Michelin Primacy 4ST
- This time since the extended warranty period just got over, I was very tempted to try out 225/50/R16. Not much options available with 225/50/R16. So initial contestants were Michelin P4ST (205/55/R16) and Conti MC5 (225/50/R16). The only reason I was considering Conti was because of no other options in 225 size. But with suggestions from @graaja and @Nikhilb2008, ruled out the Conti 225 option and finalised on Michelin P4ST. But then suddenly thrown into the mix was Michelin Pilot Sport 3 (225/50/R16) with 1.5 yrs old manufacturing date. Now mind says stick with Michelin P4ST while heart says Pilot Sport 3. Again back to confusion. Quick call with @Nikhilb2008 sorted out the confusion and decided to go with Michelin P4ST. Went to Madhu's @ Langford road to get the replacements done. The ride is definitely more plush and quiet. Great note of thanks to @Nikhilb2008 & @graaja for helping out in clearing the dilemma.
Attachment 1936149
Had a ~1000 kms trip over the weekend in both highways and twisty hill roads. I can now confidently say that the tyres are excellent. It is super quiet and comfortable. Grip and braking levels are super good.
Old 28th November 2019, 08:36   #3941
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Will anyway get the squeaky sunroof + door beadings lubricated, as well as the ORVMs & stabilizer link rods.
4 year + 60K km service done on my MY16 Octavia 1.8 TSI with a net outflow of ₹13.8K (after 10% discount on selected labour & spare parts from service camp offer).

Random notes:
1. Usual paid service carried out with change in engine oil (Castrol Edge Professional OEM), fuel filter, air filter, pollen filter etc.
2. Spark plugs were fine since last change at 30K km so not touched
3. Brake fluid replaced as per schedule. Next change at 90K km
4. Squeaky ORVMs lubricated, noise gone
5. Creaking noise from front suspension (stabilizer link rods etc.) present but only on cold start. Whole they have been lubricated, it seems they are slowly wearing out and will need changing at next service
6. Sunroof creaking has not been corrected at my express request as it needs complete removal and refitting over 3 days, and I needed the car back ASAP. Will figure this out later - usually creaks in colder (sunless) weather.
7. Brake pads are fine (rears changed at 45K km) and no action taken. Discs are not scoured.
8. Car not washed due to NGT restrictions and came back dirtier than it went due to the unusual rain yesterday. I will personally wash it over the weekend.
9. Skoda is offering 2 & 3-year RSA renewal at ₹3K & ₹4K respectively which I believe is well discounted from their MRP rates. Considering taking up the 2-year offer.
10. No service bulletins noted for my VIN, and no scan errors came up on any control module.

Overall satisfied especially at the piddly cost involved. My 4 years have cost a grand total of ₹60K:

2016 (13K km) - ₹9,900 ('free' interior enrichment)
2017 (27K km) - ₹14,400 (includes paid ~2.2K set of spark plugs)
2018 (41K km) - ₹21,200 (includes paid ~7K front brake pads & free interior, 10% discount offer on select)
2019 (56K km) - ₹13,800 (as per service schedule, 10% discount offer on select parts & labour)

For those who plan to buy the new Octavia, I would strongly suggest taking up the 4-year AMC offer as you will definitely be better off. Even if I leave out the ~₹10K (spark plugs + brake pads), my costs stand at ₹50K.

Skoda RSA leaflet with offer valid till 30 November:
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-rsa-leaflet.jpeg  

Last edited by BlackPearl : 28th November 2019 at 17:02. Reason: Merging posts on request and fixing broken quote
itwasntme is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 28th November 2019, 12:28   #3942
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

2016 (13K km) - ₹9,900 ('free' interior enrichment)
2017 (27K km) - ₹14,400 (includes paid ~2.2K set of spark plugs)
2018 (41K km) - ₹21,200 (includes paid ~7K front brake pads & free interior, 10% discount offer on select)
2019 (56K km) - ₹13,800 (as per service schedule, 10% discount offer on select parts & labour)

Wow, pretty reasonable prices these. Good to see your Octy going strong after 4 years. How is the DSG doing?
Old 28th November 2019, 13:12   #3943
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Wow, pretty reasonable prices these. Good to see your Octy going strong after 4 years. How is the DSG doing?
Thanks! DSG going well as of now:

1. There is an occasional mechanical 'cough' during 4-5 & 5-6 upshifts only during sustained hard driving.
2. Little clatter during 3-2 downshifts in slow traffic but that is a known evil
3. No 'slippage effect' at all as far as I can feel
4. No error codes, no need to top-up any tranny oil/lubricant.

Frankly, I am happy to spend ₹30-50K on new clutch kit/packs etc if required, but the worry with the DQ200 is the zero notice before it gives up the ghost on some godforsaken highway . Somewhat like the battery as well. Just collapses without any warning.
Old 29th November 2019, 12:47   #3944
BHPian

Hi,
I had a doubt if someone could answer. I bought Octavia 1.8 TSI Style in May 2019. The dealer gave me an invoice which had mentioned the price of the car 70K higher than what he qouted to the RTO in the RTO invoice. This makes me feel that I've been overcharged.

I bought the car from Akoya Skoda Pune. Anyway 24.45 Lakhs on road with extended warranty and maintenance package seems very high to me now.

Apart from this I have not been having a good time with them for anything. I have to chase them for anything I want. They did not give me the warranty and maintenance package papers for a long time and were trying to avoid it saying that it's already in the app. I still prefer stamped papers just in case I need it legally. They said that the warranty terms are mentioned in the booklet given with the car. Im not convinced. Terms should be attached to warranty papers.

More than six months Akoya skoda has still not given me the Fastag. Chasing them since two days now but still no word of where the Fastag is.

Chuna on dashboard after registration. Car was not cleaned before giving back after registration. Lots of small marks on body which were removed by dealer after treatment. Okay let me not get too much into that.

Before going to a long road trip to Pondicherry I had taken the car to service center because the coolant level was visibly declining. The service associate assured that coolant levels can drop due to use and I can use the car without any fear. I'm still doubtful because the coolant level declined few mm further after the trip.

And lately a rat cut the parking sensor wire of my car in a hotel in Bangalore. Service center said they will order and get the wire in a day or two. Its been two weeks and no word of the wire. They topped up the coolant though. Skoda Service is not niggle free afterall. As good as the car is, service simply does not match up to it.
Old 29th November 2019, 14:12   #3945
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
9. Skoda is offering 2 & 3-year RSA renewal at ₹3K & ₹4K respectively which I believe is well discounted from their MRP rates. Considering taking up the 2-year offer.
Skoda RSA leaflet with offer valid till 30 November:
UPDATE: Very impressed with the RSA issue process entirely remotely via WhatsApp and email.

The actual execution of RSA, let us say I would prefer not to experience.

1030: Messaged my Service Advisor to connect me with the RSA in-charge
1044: RSA in-charge messages back for choice of tenure / mode of payment
1048: Shares the bank details
1110: I add to my bank and IMPS them the 2 year amount (₹2,999)
1157: Receive SMS from Skoda confirming cert. no and start and end dates
1215: Receive PDF attachments of the RSA certificate & T&C on email.

All details absolutely correct and same will be duly updated in my MySkoda app in some time.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks