Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2020, 17:05   #4156
BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kray View Post
Looking forward to an update from you on this.

To put into it in context, I was negotiating with Dealer throughout December for 1.8 TSI, but the whole thing fell through due to color choices not being available (Black, Grey). Was disappointed and already moved to viewing Youtube videos of Next Gen Octavia

Things changed yesterday when I got a message from my SA mentioning there are limited stocks for my color still available based on New year update from their Pune office. So now I am planning to go to showroom this weekend to finalize a deal and hopefully book my car. Hence, would be keen to know what kind of new year offer you are getting considering the year has changed now (and March deadline approaching).

I will let you know by tomorrow regarding the offers I'm getting from 2 other dealerships. A dealer in Chennai has given me a quote for 26,24,000 exclusive of insurance and essentials kit. I've decided to go for insurance by myself. I'm still waiting on two more dealers who told me that this month' offers would be revealed by tomorrow or today evening and that they'll send me a quote after that as they are anticipating further increase in discounts. The dealership here in Chennai already have white, black and maple brown in stock. Maple brown is my actual color of choice. They told me that Quartz grey is available in the plant and would be available if I want it, provided I can wait for a few days. They've promised me delivery of Maple brown or White or black in 3 or 4 days of making payment if I'm picking one of those.
1ManShow is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2020, 17:49   #4157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ManShow View Post
Hey bro ! I was asking for a proforma invoice for the 1.8 L&K from 2 dealers and both of them told me that they'll send me one but kept giving various reasons throughout the day and didn't send me one yet. Rather they were saying please make a booking and that the color is readily available. They also told me that the same 1.25L discount which was there in December continues for this month too. I'm starting to already feel let down by these guys at Skoda even before I've got their car ! How is your booking process going on ?
Take a leap of faith and go for it would be my advise , based on my overall experience. I took delivery of my L&K TSI this afternoon and the whole process right from asking for the first test drive (I took 2) to taking delivery of the car has been smooth with the SA & the branch manager being courteous and professional. I was clear that I wanted a the car from the plant and not the showroom piece which they organised. The only thing was that the car was September manufactured which the SA said was not in his hands and up to what gets shipped from the plant. I was fine with it and no issues. I went to see the car at the dealers stockyard prior to paying the full amount and was by and large OK with it as the 4 other pieces which were were there, had their manufacturing/assembly between Aug. & Oct. On fellow Bhpians advise I went for the 6 year extended warranty and took the insurance from the Skoda dealer only which they gave for 1.28L instead of the listed price of 1.61L It just gives you a piece of mind thats all. Hopefully you will get a deal which will be appealing. If you need to know anything else from my end, feel free to ask. All the best. Cheers !

Last edited by Timothy : 3rd January 2020 at 18:05. Reason: added some additional info
Timothy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2020, 17:53   #4158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ManShow View Post
I will let you know by tomorrow regarding the offers I'm getting from 2 other dealerships.
Thanks!

Based on the inventory scenario I got to see (my guess it is for entire country), seems plenty of stock left for Diesel version with almost all color options.

Onyx TSI 1.8 seems to be completely out of stock except few Blue ones. L&K TSI 1.8 have decent amount of stocks (close to 100) but no Black color option there (local dealers in different states may still have few more depending on your luck).

There were also few 1.4 TSI MTs available, mostly in white. Now based on this, I could see Skoda offering big discounts on Diesel TDI, and maybe slightly more discount on 1.8 TSI.
Kray is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2020, 18:01   #4159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
Take a leap of faith and go for it would be my advise , based on my overall experience. I took delivery of my L&K TSI this afternoon and the whole process right from asking for the first test drive (I took 2) to taking delivery of the car has been smooth with the SA & the branch manager being courteous and professional. I was clear that I wanted a the car from the plant and not the showroom piece which they organised. The only thing was that the car was September manufactured which the SA said was not in his hands and up to what gets shipped from the plant. I was fine with it and no issues. On fellow Bhpians advise I went for the 6 year extended warranty and took the insurance from the Skoda dealer only. It just gives you a piece of mind thats all. Hopefully you will get a deal which will be appealing. All the best. Cheers !
Thank you Sir . Congratulations on your new acquisition ! Please do post pictures .
1ManShow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2020, 19:34   #4160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kray View Post
Thanks!

Based on the inventory scenario I got to see (my guess it is for entire country), seems plenty of stock left for Diesel version with almost all color options.

Onyx TSI 1.8 seems to be completely out of stock except few Blue ones. L&K TSI 1.8 have decent amount of stocks (close to 100) but no Black color option there (local dealers in different states may still have few more depending on your luck).

There were also few 1.4 TSI MTs available, mostly in white. Now based on this, I could see Skoda offering big discounts on Diesel TDI, and maybe slightly more discount on 1.8 TSI.
100 is a small number for L&K Tsi and could easily get sold out in January itself considering that they are selling an average combined total of 200 units every month. I wouldn't be surprised if the December figures are even higher ! Based on the info you have shared, you should not delay the purchase beyond mid January at the latest. The top end new model will easily breach the 30 lac mark.
Timothy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2020, 12:53   #4161
Senior - BHPian

I am currently @ Mahavir motors, Jubilee hills, Hyderabad to fix my car number plate. According to the SA following is the status of Octavia stock at factory.

1.4 TSI Style - 4
1.8 TSI Onyx - 0
Onyx Diesel - 8
L&K 1.8 TSI - 50
L&K Diesel - 80
satish_appasani is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2020, 16:03   #4162
BHPian

Skoda cars posts big sales gain in Dec. 2019 !
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-dec.-car-sales.jpeg  

Timothy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2020, 17:08   #4163
BHPian

Hi Folks, What should be the right equipment for cleaning the new Octavia ? I read in one of the posts that the Jopasu car duster & the 3M car care Micofibre cloth should work well. Is there anything else that I should get for cleaning the car ? Is a spray gun bottle also needed ? Look forward to your recommendations.
Timothy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2020, 16:34   #4164
Distinguished - BHPian

Rightly so, Skoda Octavia is the best seller in the Premium Executive segment.

Name:  E.PNG
Views: 1763
Size:  43.7 KB

Source: Auto punditz
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th January 2020, 19:12   #4165
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Rightly so, Skoda Octavia is the best seller in the Premium Executive segment.

Source: Auto punditz
That is when the model is being replaced in a few months' time and the new ones is clearly improved. Once the new one comes, it will sell even more.

This is for VW-Skoda to read, that India doesn't need a less engineered car from them, they can sell if they offer their best. Price is not the only game here.

Quote:
Hi Folks, What should be the right equipment for cleaning the new Octavia ? I read in one of the posts that the Jopasu car duster & the 3M car care Micofibre cloth should work well. Is there anything else that I should get for cleaning the car ? Is a spray gun bottle also needed ? Look forward to your recommendations.
With the dust level in the city, I've been keeping my car covered at nights/ holidays. A Jopasu duster helps wipe off the dust (every two days) before I cover it. I try to wash it every month or so unless birds/ or some type of trees have their way.

Last edited by SLK : 5th January 2020 at 19:17.
SLK is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2020, 07:26   #4166
BHPian

Attaching some pics of our new L&K 1.8Tsi. It was a journey of over 2 months from the time I took the first test drive to finally taking the delivery. Initially I was set on the Onyx as it fitted well in to my budget but frankly the deal breaker for me was the black ceiling which I was definitely not expecting, it just gave too much of a claustrophobic feeling especially from the back seat . (I am simply just sharing my personal perception so please don't take it otherwise). The airiness of the sunroof, virtual cockpit, 2 extra airbags and few other goodies made a tempting case to upgrade to the L&K.
I also thoroughly checked out the new upcoming (towards the end of the year) Skoda Octavia in every aspect and didn't think it offered too much of an upgrade over the L&K. The only features I liked in the new car was the shift by wire gearbox technology and the electric parking brake. Considering the the discount on the current model and the expected increase in the cost of the new one, I figured that for top of the line model the OTR cost difference could easily be an extra 6-8 Lacs. It was not an easy decision to put 25+ Lacs on an outgoing model but seeing how much more of a car one was getting within this price and the excitement it brings to our life, however temporary it may be:-), was worth it. A special thanks to everyone on this forum for their valuable inputs. Here is wishing everyone the very best in 2020 ! Cheers !!

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_6963.jpg

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_6964.jpg

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_6965.jpg

Last edited by Timothy : 6th January 2020 at 07:49. Reason: better allignment
Timothy is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 6th January 2020, 08:59   #4167
BHPian

Does anyone on the forum actually own an Ambition 1.4 TSI (The current facelift one)?
Old 6th January 2020, 11:40   #4168
BHPian

Quote:
Attaching some pics of our new L&K 1.8Tsi.
Congrats on your purchase and thanks for sharing pics! I can drool over these pics for days

My ongoing car purchase is following somewhat similar journey of yours, where I started with Onyx but now settling on L&K due to similar reasons. In addition, the Onyx is not available anymore it seems in 1.8 TSI version.

On the Next Gen Octavia, I love the exterior looks where it definitely feels more premium and modern. However, I have serious concern over the engine options that will come to our shore. Based on discussions on this forum, I could see the next gen being "downgraded" to a 1.5 TSI, which is a major downer for me as performance of the 1.8 TSI is the main selling point for Octavia in this segment in my opinion. Also, I don't really like the floating dashboard design (maybe it will look good in person).

I have now taken the plunge and booked Octavia 1.8 TSI L&K in Quartz Grey. Discounts have been the same as it was in December (though my SA said discounts have been reduced by around 15k in January for this model), so do not want to wait further and miss out on color options. Now the countdown starts for me on delivery which is another 10-12 days.

Cheers
Kray is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2020, 19:15   #4169
BHPian

Quote:
Initially I was set on the Onyx as it fitted well in to my budget but frankly the deal breaker for me was the black ceiling which I was definitely not expecting, it just gave too much of a claustrophobic feeling especially from the back seat . (I am simply just sharing my personal perception so please don't take it otherwise). The airiness of the sunroof, virtual cockpit, 2 extra airbags and few other goodies made a tempting case to upgrade to the L&K.

Considering the the discount on the current model and the expected increase in the cost of the new one, I figured that for top of the line model the OTR cost difference could easily be an extra 6-8 Lacs.
Many Congratulations Timothy! Wishing you many miles with your Octavia!
The pointers you have put in for the stretch to L&K and the rationale for not waiting for the new generation Octavia seems like a complete deja-vu for me. Along with it, my then current (now ex) car's resale would have kept getting lower with each passing day. Though I do agree the interiors of the new gen is definitely better & probably the rear exteriors too, but I can live (or would now anyways have to ) with that fact!

I happened to extend and got my 1.8 TSI L&K recently for the very same reasons! Along with it, I am among those very few who simply love the current gen front headlights as it gives the car a very very unique character & aggression. I do love black interiors in cars - but the Onyx did seem a little more claustrophobic due to the complete black roof. Also, then additional few features and a better deal on the L&K sealed the day.

I was confused between the white or the black L&K - but finally have got a black one and shall soon try to post some initial batch of pictures! Honestly speaking, I still believe the Red Onyx is strikingly gorgeous and was my pick (even on the day of delivery)
vickyP is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th January 2020, 21:44   #4170
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Attaching some pics of our new L&K 1.8Tsi.
Same as mine! Colour, version, showroom, ready to go position

Congratulations on the new car.

If you are able to use the MySkoda app and receive the OTP, do confirm here. I've been trying to get a OTP for the last 3 months, but I get none :(

Most Viewed