Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2020, 22:13   #4171

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
Hi Folks, What should be the right equipment for cleaning the new Octavia ? I read in one of the posts that the Jopasu car duster & the 3M car care Micofibre cloth should work well. Is there anything else that I should get for cleaning the car ? Is a spray gun bottle also needed ? Look forward to your recommendations.
Congratulations Timothy. The beast looks beautiful. Wish you a very happy owning/driving experience.

The Jopasu duster does its job for me every day. Over the weekend I have started to give my car a water less wash using Pro Klear Extreme and two 3M microfiber clothes - one wet and the other dry. The results are good. Have resolved not to outsource washing/reduce water usage. Have got Jopasu drywash too, but am scared to experiment.
pnvsagar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2020, 22:39   #4172
BHPian

After a lot of Negotiations with various dealers I finally booked my Octavia 1.8 TSI L&K in my preferred color which happens to be Maple Brown. In the end I had to pit two different outlets of the same dealership against each other. I'm having to get the car from the Trichy outlet with delivery promised in Chennai which is where I live. I negotiated long and hard with the Chennai outlet who gave me their best offer which was better by the one in Trichy by 20k. So I decided to go with them. Apparently the vehicle is available for delivery whenever I may the full payment. I've paid 50k as the booking amount. I would like to thank Timothy, Krey ,Vicky,Gaurav and many others who replied promptly and helped me in making my decision. I'm 29 now and I'm about to finally buy the Octavia which I had set my eyes on as a school kid.
1ManShow is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th January 2020, 09:28   #4173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickyP View Post
Though I do agree the interiors of the new gen is definitely better & probably the rear exteriors too, but I can live (or would now anyways have to ) with that fact!
Along with it, I am among those very few who simply love the current gen front headlights as it gives the car a very very unique character & aggression.
Yes I do agree the interiors of the next gen Octavia are a bit more plush and the rear end design sportier and more contemporary but what really grabs my attention to any new model are the mechanical & technological upgrades. In that respect I found the shift by wire gearbox technology and the convenience of an electric parking brake, more cutting edge.

Totally in sync with you on the front looks of the current model. I just love the headlamp & the grill set up which make it stand apart from the clutter. The existing design of the current model is truly elegant and like a good bottle of wine should mature well with age

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
Same as mine! Colour, version, showroom, ready to go position

Congratulations on the new car.

If you are able to use the MySkoda app and receive the OTP, do confirm here. I've been trying to get a OTP for the last 3 months, but I get none :(
Yup, they gave the best offer and the showroom head Siddarth and the SA Ajay (whom I was dealing with) are good folks
Will try out the Skoda App in the next few days and will post an update Cheers !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kray View Post

On the Next Gen Octavia, I love the exterior looks where it definitely feels more premium and modern. However, I have serious concern over the engine options that will come to our shore. Based on discussions on this forum, I could see the next gen being "downgraded" to a 1.5 TSI, which is a major downer for me as performance of the 1.8 TSI is the main selling point for Octavia in this segment in my opinion. Also, I don't really like the floating dashboard design (maybe it will look good in person).

I have now taken the plunge and booked Octavia 1.8 TSI L&K in Quartz Grey. Discounts have been the same as it was in December (though my SA said discounts have been reduced by around 15k in January for this model), so do not want to wait further and miss out on color options. Now the countdown starts for me on delivery which is another 10-12 days.
Cheers
My personal gut feel is that both the 1.5 & 2.0 litre TFSI will make it to the next gen octavia. The 2 litre with 190 ps would be doing duty on the refreshed Superb and the real appeal of the Octavia in India has been its powerful 1.8Tsi engine, so they will/should not downgrade it.
But then a Top of the line Octavia with a 2.0 litre TFSI ( with only 10 extra horses) will also mean a much higher sticker price and possibly no discounts plus you will allow for its teething period....
Old 7th January 2020, 09:30   #4174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickyP View Post
Though I do agree the interiors of the new gen is definitely better & probably the rear exteriors too, but I can live (or would now anyways have to ) with that fact!
Along with it, I am among those very few who simply love the current gen front headlights as it gives the car a very very unique character & aggression.
Yes I do agree the interiors of the next gen Octavia are a bit more plush and the rear end design sportier and more contemporary but what really grabs my attention to any new model are the mechanical & technological upgrades. In that respect I found the shift by wire gearbox technology and the convenience of an electric parking brake, more cutting edge.

Totally in sync with you on the front looks of the current model. I just love the headlamp & the grill set up which make it stand apart from the clutter. The existing design of the current model is truly elegant and like a good bottle of wine should mature well with age

Quote:
Same as mine! Colour, version, showroom, ready to go position

Congratulations on the new car.

If you are able to use the MySkoda app and receive the OTP, do confirm here. I've been trying to get a OTP for the last 3 months, but I get none :(
Yup, they gave the best offer and the showroom head Siddarth and the SA Ajay (whom I was dealing with) are good folks
Will try out the Skoda App in the next few days and will post an update. Cheers!

Last edited by Timothy : 7th January 2020 at 09:41.
Old 7th January 2020, 11:27   #4175

Hello folks! I've booked my Skoda Octavia Onyx 1.8 TSI last week and I'm expecting delivery later this week. Had almost booked the Jeep Compass, but ended up plumping for the Octavia, as Jeep didn't have the colors I wanted plus the test drive with the DSG just blew me away. The whole process (including 2 TDs) took almost 15 days leading to the booking of the car. Loved the L&K Maple Brown and beige interiors plus virtual cockpit, but I couldn't convince myself (and the wife!) the additional 3 lakhs or so for L&K. Got Insurance from HDFC Ergo, also opting for the 4 year service pack and EW for 5th and 6th years.

Couple of questions here,
- I've been following various threads around ceramic coating vs PPF, I would like to get views from owners who have done either on do's and don'ts. Would also love recommedations on where to get this done from in Bangalore. The dealer (TAFE Access) is offering to do PPF for about 1.2 lakhs, which I think is on the higher side and I'm not sure about the quality of work.
- Would the dealer be providing IND (HSRP) number plates? If not, recommendations on where I could source them.
- Replacing the stock tyres with Michelin P4STs. Suggestions on where I could get the new tyres and get them replaced. Madhu's?
- Anything else that I should be getting done on the new Octy from a basic hygiene perspective??

Cheers!
Skris11 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2020, 13:07   #4176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skris11 View Post
Couple of questions here,
- I've been following various threads around ceramic coating vs PPF, I would like to get views from owners who have done either on do's and don'ts. Would also love recommedations on where to get this done from in Bangalore. The dealer (TAFE Access) is offering to do PPF for about 1.2 lakhs, which I think is on the higher side and I'm not sure about the quality of work.
- Would the dealer be providing IND (HSRP) number plates? If not, recommendations on where I could source them.
- Replacing the stock tyres with Michelin P4STs. Suggestions on where I could get the new tyres and get them replaced. Madhu's?
- Anything else that I should be getting done on the new Octy from a basic hygiene perspective??

Cheers!
Congratulations on your booking.

Tafe did not give me an IND number plate. They just give the normal plastic plates.
I hope you have read about the run in period. In short, vary your rpms while driving till 2 - 2.5k kms. That means, it's better not to engage cruise control.
Lambydude is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2020, 13:59   #4177

Quote:
Please check the phone number associated with your VIN. The number itself or one/more digits may be the problem.

I just registered and it did not take me even 3 seconds to get an OTP.
pnvsagar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2020, 17:28   #4178
BHPian

Guys, How do things work once you make a booking with Skoda ? My dealer said I'll get a call from a Mumbai number verifying my booking and after that my booking will be confirmed . I've not got any mails or calls yet from Skoda. I just have the receipt of the booking amount. I made my booking yesterday. How does the booking process go on usually ?
1ManShow is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2020, 18:24   #4179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ManShow View Post
Guys, How do things work once you make a booking with Skoda ? My dealer said I'll get a call from a Mumbai number verifying my booking and after that my booking will be confirmed . I've not got any mails or calls yet from Skoda. I just have the receipt of the booking amount. I made my booking yesterday. How does the booking process go on usually ?
I made my booking over the weekend and got a call from Skoda confirming the booking details on Monday. They verified model details as well as the name, ph no, email ID etc. I guess the next step would be allocation of the car and VIN no., which the SA should be able to provide.
Kray is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2020, 18:30   #4180

Quote:
Yes, so I got a call the day after (or a maybe within 2 days) after I had paid the booking amount, this call was from Skoda India to verify the model / variant details.
Skris11 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2020, 18:31   #4181
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, You will get a call from Skoda Motors confirming your booking and repeating all details of the car i.e. model, colour etc. It is a simple straightforward process. Don't worry everything will just go fine...Cheers !
Timothy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2020, 19:31   #4182
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My personal gut feel is that both the 1.5 & 2.0 litre TFSI will make it to the next gen octavia.
Octavia IV in India will come only with the new VAG 1.5 TSI Evo 'national engine' of 148 bhp / 250 Nm, which will also do duty on the Audi A3, A4 and the CBU Skoda Karoq.

Only the Superb & Passat will get the 190 bhp 2.0 TSI. As and when the Octavia IV RS reaches India in 2021, it will be a 1.4 TSI + Electric hybrid of ~250 bhp.

Last edited by itwasntme : 7th January 2020 at 19:33.
itwasntme is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 7th January 2020, 21:02   #4183
BHPian

Quote:
It was not an easy decision to put 25+ Lacs on an outgoing model but seeing how much more of a car one was getting within this price and the excitement it brings to our life, however temporary it may be:-), was worth it.
Congratulations on the delivery. Seeing the pictures I'm getting impatient to get my hands on my Onyx ASAP.

Quote:
After a lot of Negotiations with various dealers I finally booked my Octavia 1.8 TSI L&K in my preferred color which happens to be Maple Brown. I'm 29 now and I'm about to finally buy the Octavia which I had set my eyes on as a school kid.
Congratulations on the purchase and very happy for you
GauravTaneja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2020, 21:52   #4184
BHPian

Could somebody suggest a good shop in western suburbs in Mumbai where I could exchange stock tires with Michelin PS4 when I get delivery of my car in the next few days.
Old 7th January 2020, 22:00   #4185
BHPian

Quote:
Have you tried checking your spam ? I tried multiple times to generate the OTP and found that the OTP mail had gone to Spam.

Most Viewed