Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2020, 10:10   #4516
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMReddy666 View Post
I own a Skoda Octavia l&K 1.8 TSI. The car was purchased in December 2019 from Vinayak skoda and i have clocked about 7200 kms on the odo.

This morning i got an error on the MID stating low coolant level.
My concern is that its a new car and i have clocked only 7200 kms and this happens. Is this a common issue? Anyone who can help me regarding this?
Relax and let Skoda handle it. It's a brand new car within standard warranty. Having it towed to the Workshop may be overkill but don't take a chance. I expect them to fully cover all expenses.

Let us know what happens.
Old 7th July 2020, 15:04   #4517
BHPian

Quote:
Hey guys, I am a new member to the forum, but have been following TEAM-BHP for more than 5 years.

I own a Skoda Octavia l&K 1.8 TSI. The car was purchased in December 2019 from Vinayak skoda and i have clocked about 7200 kms on the odo.

This morning i got an error on the MID stating low coolant level.
My concern is that its a new car and i have clocked only 7200 kms and this happens. Is this a common issue? Anyone who can help me regarding this?

Regards
Gagan
Did you get a under body hit by any chance?
I saw this error once & had my Laura towed to Vinayak only to be told the radiator had a leak!
Had to to got it replaced.

Last edited by raihan : 7th July 2020 at 15:05.
Old 7th July 2020, 16:29   #4518
BHPian

So made a small video showing the 3 display options of the Skoda Connect app. It is a bit laggy on the older systems but i expect it to be super smooth on the screen of the facelifted Octavia 3.

Cheers
Rohan
RohanDheman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2020, 20:39   #4519
BHPian

Prithiwi is a very popular figure among car enthusiasts in India, especially among VAG fans. He has recently bought an Octavia RS245 and has explored unlocking several features that are not enabled in stock cars. All you need is a VCDS cable. Features that can be activated include displaying refuel quantity (liters to full tank), Lap timer in the instrument cluster, off-road gauges (elevation, steering angle, oil temperature, and more).

The interesting fact is that these features could be activated on all Gen 3 Octavia onwards. Can be activated in a jiffy using Skoda Connect or VW Go app. Works in Superb too!
Attaching a few videos from his account for reference.

All credits to Prithiwi- https://www.instagram.com/prithwi/?hl=ta.

Last edited by Tojo_GotBhp : 8th July 2020 at 20:40. Reason: Spelling error
Tojo_GotBhp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2020, 22:09   #4520

Quote:
Originally Posted by raihan View Post
Did you get a under body hit by any chance?
I saw this error once & had my Laura towed to Vinayak only to be told the radiator had a leak!
Had to to got it replaced.
Hey Raihan,
No under body hit has happened till date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Relax and let Skoda handle it. It's a brand new car within standard warranty. Having it towed to the Workshop may be overkill but don't take a chance. I expect them to fully cover all expenses.

Let us know what happens.
Hey,
Finally collected the car from the service center yesterday the the SA told me this happens at times and when he checked the car, there was no leakage of coolant anywhere. I just bought a bottle of coolant just in case something like this happens again, I can top it up by myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharktale View Post
This is a fairly common issue. Check my historical posts on this thread for my exact same experience.
The thermostat housing , O Rings needs to be changed. You can ask Skoda for replacing under goodwill warranty (if warranty has expired) to get max. concession.
A couple of friends who own the Octavia had mentioned this was a common issue and there is no need to worry. I just bought a bottle of coolant just in case something like this happens again in the future.

Regards
Gagan
Old 9th July 2020, 07:23   #4521
BHPian

The new MySkoda app is showing the battery voltage. Good stuff. Hope it is correct.

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-file_001.png
Deep Blue is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2020, 13:35   #4522
BHPian

Quote:
Finally collected the car from the service center yesterday the the SA told me this happens at times and when he checked the car, there was no leakage of coolant anywhere. I just bought a bottle of coolant just in case something like this happens again, I can top it up by myself.
I am really surprised that the coolant level went down on its own without any leakage. I do normally check the coolant and the engine oil levels once a month on my Jan. 20 purchased Octavia.... but I must admit this is something I never faced in my 10 year ownership of Honda Civic & Honda City. So I am actually perplexed as to how the coolant level went down on its own.
Old 10th July 2020, 20:42   #4523
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue View Post
The new MySkoda app is showing the battery voltage. Good stuff. Hope it is correct.
Usually, if you connect a multimeter to the terminals of battery, it would read 12.xx (healthy) before starting car, and after starting it would read 14.xx (healthy) - not specific to VAG, generally all cars.
Hence, this 13.6 is either something to do with app or the actual value after starting the car is a bit less (there will be voltage drop as the voltage reaches instrumentation, but 14.xx to 13.6 is a big drop) than ideal.
Confirm with a multimeter at the battery terminals, and compare it with the reading on the app - that way you will know whether to trust what the app shows.
venkyhere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2020, 20:34   #4524
BHPian

My car is due for its 4th annual service next month.

Apart from a LHS DRL Failure ( which is pretty common and hopefully will get replaced under Extended/Goodwill warranty), I suddenly got a "Low Engine Oil" level warning last night.
Checked the car today morning in cold condition, and the engine oil was actually really low. The car has ran only around 5K in city conditions during the past year. The SA upon contacting tried to shrug it off owing it to some vague reason but I have categorically instructed him to check the fluid lines.

As of now, I do not think there is any leakage of any sort cause there would surely have been signs in the garage space.

Anyone else face a similar issue or have a plausible reason for this?

Last edited by sharktale : 14th July 2020 at 20:37.
Old 14th July 2020, 20:53   #4525
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Apart from a LHS DRL Failure ( which is pretty common and hopefully will get replaced under Extended/Goodwill warranty), I suddenly got a "Low Engine Oil" level warning last night.
Checked the car today morning in cold condition, and the engine oil was actually really low. The car has ran only around 5K in city conditions during the past year. The SA upon contacting tried to shrug it off owing it to some vague reason but I have categorically instructed him to check the fluid lines.

As of now, I do not think there is any leakage of any sort cause there would surely have been signs in the garage space.

Anyone else face a similar issue or have a plausible reason for this?
I think this is normal for the 1.8 TSI. VAG specifies upto 1L oil consumption is normal for every 1000km. And yes, I do think stop and go traffic along with excess idling is the reason for oil consumption.

Don't worry, just check thoroughly for any leaks and let it slide.
vishy76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2020, 12:48   #4526
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

You say the car was last serviced about a year ago? Even though your mileage is less, oil thickens with time. If you run more in city and barely on highways, this is the wrong car for you. Cars that run only in city should be serviced every 6 months or 9-10K kms. That's my opinion and i stick to 10-12K kms even when my running is totally on highways. Even so, every 10-12K I get the oil changed and I see the black LDO like substance coming out, i regret not changing it earlier. If it isn't becoming thin to the standard the engine needs in running condition, it can not reach optimum levels of efficiency and performance. It can cause unnecessary strain on oil pressure sensors too. But as you said the dipstick is the right and perfect tool for inspecting the oil level as well as quality. I'd suggest please advance your oil change service to 'pronto' and while at it pls ask the technicians to check for leakages in the oil sump, normally a gasket fails after a few years. If not that, check the color of your coolant, if it's pink and normal, don't worry. If there's any odd color of coolant and coolant is becoming foamy, you'll notice it under the coolant tank cap, it could be an oil cooler leak. There's nothing else that could be wrong at this point. If you get the spark plugs replaced, do check for oil deposit on the end of the ignition coil and plugs itself. Next we need your updates once all the above are checked.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th July 2020, 17:16   #4527
BHPian

Quote:
Great pictures Nishith! Here are some from my side after 4.5 years & 58K km:

A few more including my second Dr. Jekyll :-), as well as the massive loading area with seats folded and my paddle shift extenders.
Thank You!
It’s great to see Rio Red (quite a rare colour) under the bright sun! Great pictures from your end especially with the one displaying the boot space. Octavia is a versatile car and just how some individuals have an Innova at home no matter what, I’d Probably get a new Octavia at home irrespective of the car we upgrade to in the near future
Old 19th July 2020, 02:38   #4528
BHPian

Thanks to the Team-BHP admins for approving my registration.

Dear members and Octavia owners, I am planning to buy a pre-owned Skoda Octavia and have shortlisted this car. Can you tell me if the deal is good enough to go ahead with it?

Skoda Octavia L&K (grey)
Manufacturing year - June 2018
Odometer reading - 42k KM
Asking Price - 17.5Lakh (insurance lapsed)
City - Bangalore

I am also in a dilemma as I don't know when the lockdown situation will improve in Bangalore. Is it worth buying a pre-owned Octavia now or wait for 2-3 more months for the situation to improve?
Old 19th July 2020, 09:31   #4529
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by how_you_doing View Post
Skoda Octavia L&K (grey)
Manufacturing year - June 2018
Odometer reading - 42k KM
Asking Price - 17.5Lakh (insurance lapsed)
City - Bangalore
Hi, 2 crucial bits left out. Petrol or diesel & manual or automatic? Both these make or break the Skoda ownership experience
Old 19th July 2020, 09:48   #4530
BHPian

Quote:
Hi, 2 crucial bits left out. Petrol or diesel & manual or automatic? Both these make or break the Skoda ownership experience
Hi, it is Petrol Automatic.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks