Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2020, 16:49   #4546
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick145 View Post
I am facing issues with the wipers on my Octavia 1.8 TSI Petrol Automatic L&K purchased in January 2020. The wipers keep making the loud sound when rubbing against the glass and especially the left one while going down. I got them replaced and had to persist for the job to be done in warranty as wipers and other wear and tear items are supposedly covered for six months. However, the problem still persists and I am unhappy with the sound. The Service Advisor tells me that it is normal.

Can other owners comment?
I had the same issue when the wiper is on continuous mode during light/medium rains, which was more like extra clean and dry wiper moving on glass, as Adi_petrolhead has mentioned. One option is to use couple of drops of baby shampoo or car wash shampoo when filling up the water reservoir. This will add some lubricantion. And whenever this sound comes in I do a spray push and then it's okay.
Old 23rd July 2020, 17:31   #4547
BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
I am facing issues with the wipers on my Octavia 1.8 TSI Petrol Automatic L&K purchased in January 2020. The wipers keep making the loud sound when rubbing against the glass and especially the left one while going down. The Service Advisor tells me that it is normal.

This is a very common problem with Wiper blades but not so much in just a 6 month year old car. Normally it is caused by the hardening of rubber on the wiper blades and use of relatively hard water in the wiper fluid tank This is a fairly common feature over a period of time when cars are left out uncovered, I mean those parked overnight on the streets.

One of the things to be followed in order to avoid the squeaking noise and to enhance the life of the wiper rubber blades is to fill up the wiper fluid tank with water from a domestic RO machine and in case this is not possible you can use Bisleri or even better, distilled water. Avoid the use of shampoos and soap solutions in the wiper fluid tank as sometimes they can leave a whitish film over the windscreen, as the wiper rubber blades start to wear out. This can be very troublesome with night driving, plus the left over soapy water tends to hasten the process of rubber hardening over a period of time. Also make it a habit to just clean under the wiper rubber blades every morning so as to remove fine particles and dust which will scratch the windscreen glass and also cause the squeaky noise. Hope this helps ! Cheers !

Last edited by Timothy : 23rd July 2020 at 17:34.
Timothy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2020, 18:13   #4548

Friends, I have a Skoda Octavia 18 TSI , 2014 model, done about 36000 km, used sparingly and maintained well. I have been praising this car for years, extolled its virtues to anyone who would listen, and perhaps this tempted fate, because a couple of weeks ago, the infamous DSG demon struck the car. As I accelerated from the traffic signal and reached about 60, a warning came up that said "Press Brake", at the same time the car was coasting in neutral with no power, despite being on drive mode.
After the car stopped, fortunately avoiding any collisions, I put the car in park, and back to Drive.But instead of D1, it just said "D" and the car did not move. I shut off the engine and tried again, and eventually it worked.
Gave the car to Skoda TAfe and they first told me it was a battery issue, but the problem repeated again and I sent it back to TAFE

Now they tell me it's a mechatronic issue and since it is out of warranty, they will pay only 20 % of the costs out of goodwill. My bill is coming to Rs 60,000

Prior to this, I was planning to buy the next Skoda Octavia, but now, I am not so sure.

The after market service team at TAFE has been responsive and they do a great job, but the car is not reliable and expensive if only after 36k km the DSG fails. Also the Skoa higher up don't seem to be supporting goodwill warranty.

Wanted to share this experience with you my fellow Team BHPians if you ar considering buying the octavia.
Old 23rd July 2020, 19:13   #4549
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamkb View Post
Friends, I have a Skoda Octavia 18 TSI , 2014 model, done about 36000 km, used sparingly and maintained well.
Wanted to share this experience with you my fellow Team BHPians if you ar considering buying the octavia.
Look at it as a clutch & flywheel replacement which would have cost the same in an equivalent D1 segment manual transmission sedan.

Your car is 6 years old now, mileage aside. I'd recommend taking up their offer but try and push for 40% if possible.
itwasntme is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 24th July 2020, 22:27   #4550
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamkb View Post
Prior to this, I was planning to buy the next Skoda Octavia, but now, I am not so sure.

The after market service team at TAFE has been responsive and they do a great job, but the car is not reliable and expensive if only after 36k km the DSG fails. Also the Skoa higher up don't seem to be supporting goodwill warranty.
Thanks for sharing your experience, which I am sure most of us do appreciate.
My only advise would be to not give up on the new Skoda, just because of the issue with the Mechatronics after 6 years of ownership. Actually a lot depends on the conditions that the car is being driven in, especially if it is a lot of stop and go kind of situation which is very prevalent in Bangalore's heavy traffic. Although I live in Delhi but have travelled a lot to Bangalore on work

The new Skoda will feature a more powerful engine and their new heavy duty wet Gearbox DQ381 which is a lot more reliable, and should be able to handle our conditions very well. The DQ200 found in the 3rd Gen. Octavia is basically a dry gearbox. It is difficult to get such a well built car, with cutting edge technology, design & Power and top notch features & luxury quotient, within its price range. Ofcourse you have the option of the true German luxury brands, JLR & Volvo but then be prepared to shell out well north of 50L.

Hope you get your car back soon after the repairs and continue to enjoy your motoring experience. Cheers & Happy weekend !!
Timothy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2020, 22:56   #4551
BHPian

Quote:
I am facing issues with the wipers on my Octavia 1.8 TSI Petrol Automatic L&K purchased in January 2020. The wipers keep making the loud sound when rubbing against the glass and especially the left one while going down. I got them replaced and had to persist for the job to be done in warranty as wipers and other wear and tear items are supposedly covered for six months. However, the problem still persists and I am unhappy with the sound. The Service Advisor tells me that it is normal.

Although this is a common issue with blades that are older than 1.5 years or so, I have a gut feeling that the replacement given was an old part sitting in stock for a while or they just say they did replace it (possibility)

Although I don't own an octavia, this is what I do with my frameless blades that have been on the car for a little more than 3 years and have zero issues with them.

Step 1: Clean your wiper blades with IPA on a microfiber towel (multiple wipes) or just some 3M shampoo water as substitute.
Step 2: Once clean, take Vaseline on your index finger and thumb. Run it across both sides of the blade ensuring full coverage and let it sit a while; this will soften up the rubber
Step 3: repeat step 2 about 3 times or so depending on how hard the blade has gotten

you should be streak free and shudder free on return.

step 4: repeat step 1 and 2 every 6 months or so depending on usage and parking

I also add about 2ml to 5 ml of 3M or meguiars car shampoo to the wash reservoir and only use drinking water NOT TAP WATER . This combination ensures no waterspots on the glass and the shampoo cleans out all the oil and grime that can stick to the windshield on highway runs.

If push comes the shove, just clay the entire front windshield, it makes a world of a difference to the way the water beads off.

P.S: If you put the wipers into service mode, the wipers "present" themselves and make them easier to work on

Last edited by One:1 : 24th July 2020 at 23:00.
One:1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th July 2020, 06:03   #4552
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay_b View Post
I think I've met with this seller in RT Nagar who had a Style Octavia 1.8TSI a few months ago. I can tell from the background in the pictures
You are right I am still in doubts over this Octavia. Is this a good deal considering I will barely be driving it for the next 2-3 months due to COVID-19 and it will be parked at the apartment basement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post

The new Octavia will no doubt be the car to have with its contemporary styling, a more powerful engine, DQ-381 gearbox and technological upgrades. But seeing the current L&K Superb's price, the new Octy will not be less than 34-35L OTR. That's double what he is getting the current one for......
Yes, 35L+ is out of budget considering my monthly driving is 600KM at max. In fact, will you suggest me to explore 2015-16 BMW 3 series petrol in 21-22L range in Bangalore? as the consensus here at Team-BHP is that they are far more reliable than Octavia. Though the Octavia I am considering is 2018 one so it is under warranty till 2022 with an option to extend to 2024.
Old 26th July 2020, 15:24   #4553
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by how_you_doing View Post
You are right I am still in doubts over this Octavia. Is this a good deal considering I will barely be driving it for the next 2-3 months due to COVID-19 and it will be parked at the apartment basement.

Yes, 35L+ is out of budget considering my monthly driving is 600KM at max. In fact, will you suggest me to explore 2015-16 BMW 3 series petrol in 21-22L range in Bangalore? as the consensus here at Team-BHP is that they are far more reliable than Octavia. Though the Octavia I am considering is 2018 one so it is under warranty till 2022 with an option to extend to 2024.
This RT Nagar Quartz Grey Octavia has been on sale since Febraury this year. I did have a look at the car and also schecked for the service history (Verbally) from Skoda. Came to know that there has been major accident plus engine work carried out hence did not go ahead with the deal.
I am still in look out for nicely maintained Octavia 1.8 TSI AT in KA as well as in TN but very hard to find one.
Happy hunting.
Sree_hari82 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2020, 00:30   #4554
BHPian

Hi Friends,
Last week, I encountered an unexpected but strange incident with the remote control key of my Octavia 1.8 tsi L&K.
And I think it's worth sharing here.

So, one fine morning, the remote control Key Fob of my car failed to operate all of a sudden. In fact, the red LED also didn't glow on pressing any of the Lock/ Unlock buttons on the key fob, further resulting into NO any response from the car.
I had to take the spare remote key fob to unlock and thus to start the car further.

Then considering a simple guesswork about probable failure of the remote Lithium cell, I changed it with a new but a 'cheap' type CR2025 coin Cell available at the local store. However, it didn't work and eventually failed to operate.
And I sensed something might have gone serious.

Then another guesswork came to my mind about presence of some moisture inside the electronic circuit inside. So, once again I opened the Key Fob cover and tried to dry it out with the help of a hair dryer. However, this theory also didn't work.

By the time, I had gone through the User's manual for some instructions on the topic and a new theory of 'Synchronization of Key Fob' emerged up. Needless to say, I decided to follow the steps therein so as to get the key fob synchronized.

Until then I didn't know that the car could be started with the remote key fob with the failed/ dead remote cell or even without any cell inside it also.

So in order to get the remote fob synchronized, I took the 'failed' remote Key Fob and used the physical 'Key' to open the Car manually.
For that, I first removed the plastic cover near door handle as the Lock cylinder lies just below it. We need to insert the folded out Key bit with the buttons facing downwards to emergency unlock the car.
Thus, I opened the door and pressed the Start/ Stop push button, only to see the 'Key not detected' message in the display of instrument cluster.
Then I pressed the Start/ Stop push button with the Key Fob itself to start the Car. Remember, it needs to be pressed with the metallic end of the remote fob from where the key bit unfolds out otherwise it won't work.
Ultimately, the car detected the Key and the 'Accessory mode' was ON along with 'Change Remote Battery' message in the display of instrument cluster.
Then I could start the Car simply further by pressing the Start/ Stop push button once again in the regular manner.

Though the car started successfully by then but unfortunately, the Red LED on the remote key Fob was still not glowing on pressing any of the buttons.

Guessing the problem was not yet resolved, I kept on using the other remote key fob for the next 2-3 days. Meanwhile, I got both the Batteries checked with the help of a multimeter and surprisingly found both of them having full charge of 3 volts.

I thought it might need some exclusive type better 'Quality' cell and so purchased another 'Panasonic' branded new coin cell, just to give a final try before going for the inevitable SC assistance.

Finally, the saga ended with a big surprise for me. When I took the already 'failed' remote key fob near the door handle to unlock the car manually, the LED glowed red, the ORVMs started to unfold and all the door locks opened as usual.

Moral of the story,
1. You don't need to worry even when the remote battery fails or the remote key fob doesn't operate.

2. The synchronization of the key fob may take some time to accomplish finally.

3. If remote key fob fails to operate due to moisture, it can be dried out using a hair dryer.

Now, both the remote key fobs are operating fine just as usual with their original/ stock remote cells, leaving 2 spare CR2025 Lithium cells with me- one cheap type and another branded one !!

However, I still couldn't figure out what exactly had gone wrong in the entire episode.

Thanks,
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_20200716_083513__01__01.jpg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_20200716_110942__01.jpg  

Dr.Vikas is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th July 2020, 02:02   #4555
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Vikas View Post
Hi Friends,
Last week, I encountered an unexpected but strange incident with the remote control key of my Octavia 1.8 tsi L&K.
And I think it's worth sharing here.
I didn't know this kind of an option is available with the key. Good to know. Thanks for sharing. I wonder if this key synchronization thing is only with VAG cars or across all manufacturers.
Old 27th July 2020, 03:16   #4556
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sree_hari82 View Post
This RT Nagar Quartz Grey Octavia has been on sale since February this year. I did have a look at the car and also schecked for the service history (Verbally) from Skoda. Came to know that there has been major accident plus engine work carried out hence did not go ahead with the deal.
Wow, this is new information. I am glad I signed up at Team-BHP and posted the pics at the right time!

Just wondering, how safe it is to buy an accidental car assuming it is under company warranty?
Old 27th July 2020, 13:07   #4557
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sree_hari82 View Post
This RT Nagar Quartz Grey Octavia has been on sale since Febraury this year. I did have a look at the car and also schecked for the service history (Verbally) from Skoda. Came to know that there has been major accident plus engine work carried out hence did not go ahead with the deal.
I think the other Quartz Grey Octavia that you're referring to is the Style variant that was on sale in Feb. When I met the dealer in February, his response was not very assuring when I asked if I can take the car to a Skoda A.S.S for a through check up

Quote:
Originally Posted by how_you_doing View Post
Wow, this is new information. I am glad I signed up at Team-BHP and posted the pics at the right time!

Just wondering, how safe it is to buy an accidental car assuming it is under company warranty?
IMO it's not worth spending around Rs.18L for a car that has met with a major accident. If I were you, I'd look elsewhere.
akshay_b is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2020, 14:59   #4558
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay_b View Post
I think the other Quartz Grey Octavia that you're referring to is the Style variant that was on sale in Feb. When I met the dealer in February, his response was not very assuring when I asked if I can take the car to a Skoda A.S.S for a through check up
Yes it is a Style Plus model as per RC and Insurance copy but had L&K badging . I grew suspecious with this mismatch hence wanted to check service history. In my case also the dealer was not keen in giving the car to be taken to Skoda ASS for history check but since i had a trusted soul at higher levels i was able to get the service history over a call.
If i remember the car registration number was KA 05 MY 2345 (German Font Style).

Even if the car is in Company warranty it is not a wise decision to buy a car met with major accident and had a engine work done. Suggestion would be to look else where.

Regards

Mods, kindly delete the post if you feel inapproriate to mention the registration number of the vehicle.

Last edited by Sree_hari82 : 27th July 2020 at 15:17.
Sree_hari82 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th August 2020, 19:23   #4559
BHPian

Picked up a 2015 1.8 TSI (Elegance) an hour ago
Has anyone upgraded the HU? Something with a better resolution and bigger display size
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-octavia1.jpg  

Astonite is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th August 2020, 20:28   #4560
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astonite View Post
Picked up a 2015 1.8 TSI (Elegance) an hour ago

Has anyone upgraded the HU? Something with a better resolution and bigger display size

Hi! Congratulations. Can you share some more details like how much you paid? ODO reading? And more pictures please ?
Pancham is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks