Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2020, 01:21   #4561
BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Hi! Congratulations. Can you share some more details like how much you paid? ODO reading? And more pictures please ?
Hi, thanks. Apologies for the late response. It's a 2nd owner (company to individual), 42K kms run car. Will take more pics when possible. Due to this lockdown here in Chennai, couldn't take much.
Astonite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2020, 13:19   #4562
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astonite View Post
Hi, thanks. Apologies for the late response. It's a 2nd owner (company to individual), 42K kms run car. Will take more pics when possible. Due to this lockdown here in Chennai, couldn't take much.
Actually people on this thread would be most interested to know how much did you pay for it !! You left out this most interesting detail !
Old 10th August 2020, 11:56   #4563
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Is Octavia still on sale? i.e. is there a BS VI version?

Some sales numbers seem to be appearing here . . https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...-analysis.html (July 2020 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis)

Or is this only the old BS IV inventory, some of which was allowed to be sold by court.
Old 10th August 2020, 12:45   #4564
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
Is Octavia still on sale? i.e. is there a BS VI version?

Some sales numbers seem to be appearing here . . https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...-analysis.html (July 2020 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis)

Or is this only the old BS IV inventory, some of which was allowed to be sold by court.
Hi there,
The Octavia Nos. that you may see being sold/delivered in July is for the 2.0 Litre Octavia RS 245 which retails at an ex-showroom price of 36 L. The 3rd Gen. BS 4 model got sold out by Feb. 2020 as Skoda had good offers going to finish off the stock.
Timothy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2020, 21:21   #4565
BHPian

Hi all,
Today I happened to visit Shrine Auto, Kolhapur just to get my car checked under the ongoing '40 point Monsoon Check up' campaign.

Though there wasn't any other issue, but I think, it's always useful to have our Skoda duly checked at authorized workshop, whenever possible.

I came to know about a Dash Cam priced at ₹2000 only (MRP- ₹3000) as an accessory approved by dealer.
Please refer to the pic attached.
Apparently, it looked ok but still I would like to know about its quality/ first hand info if any body is using this brand.

Thanks in anticipation,
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_20200814_134234__01.jpg  

Old 17th August 2020, 12:15   #4566
BHPian

Hi all! I have Jan 2020 bought Octavia 1.8 TSI which has run very less all thanks to the lockdown. I have been starting the car once a week and idling for 10-15 minutes. I have recently resumed office on a daily basis and have noticed a weird issue which persists only in the mornings:

When i touch the door handle sensor for activating the unlock, there are clicking noises but nothing happens. When i use the button on the key to unlock, it works. After driving for a while and later on in the day, this issue is not there. Could this be related to the car battery or some other issue?

Last edited by praveen789 : 17th August 2020 at 12:19.
Old 23rd August 2020, 19:34   #4567
BHPian

As a testament to Murphy's Law, it rained heavily last night and with the road drains blocked, this is how i found my car at 3 AM.

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-car_image.jpg

The picture indicates the maximum water level and the water receded soon after. The road slopes down on the left so the left side of the car had a slightly higher water level, probably 2 to 3 inches more. The flow of water was in the direction of the rear wheels.

I went out and the exhaust seemed to be submerged for a short while before the water receded completely. In the morning, I opened the engine bay and could see traces of the muddy water and debris accumulated on the lower engine cover. If i look at the radiator, a little bit of debris can be seen at the very lower part of the fins. I checked the dip-stick and the oil seems normal. The carpets are all dry so water didn't enter the cabin.

All said and done, i haven't turned on the ignition so far and am a bit skeptical.

The muffler has a curved design so i cannot check if there is still any water accumulated there although when checked with a finger, the insides do have some debris.
I've already requested the RSA team to have a look but i'm guessing the first thing they'll want to try is to see if the car cranks. Don't really trust their judgement so i turn over to you with the following questions:
  • When we crank the engine, can any water/debris be sucked from the exhaust? Car is the 1.8 petrol if that matters here.
  • I'm not sure to what degree were the components that are above the engine cover, exposed to water. Any risks to the oil sump or gearbox?
  • Anything that i should do before i turn on the ignition and start the car?

Thank you for reading it till the end !

Last edited by theMandarin : 23rd August 2020 at 19:49.
Old 23rd August 2020, 20:35   #4568
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMandarin View Post
As a testament to Murphy's Law, it rained heavily last night and with the road drains blocked, this is how i found my car at 3 AM.

Attachment 2046636

The picture indicates the maximum water level and the water receded soon after. The road slopes down on the left so the left side of the car had a slightly higher water level, probably 2 to 3 inches more. The flow of water was in the direction of the rear wheels.

I went out and the exhaust seemed to be submerged for a short while before the water receded completely. In the morning, I opened the engine bay and could see traces of the muddy water and debris accumulated on the lower engine cover. If i look at the radiator, a little bit of debris can be seen at the very lower part of the fins. I checked the dip-stick and the oil seems normal. The carpets are all dry so water didn't enter the cabin.

All said and done, i haven't turned on the ignition so far and am a bit skeptical.

The muffler has a curved design so i cannot check if there is still any water accumulated there although when checked with a finger, the insides do have some debris.
I've already requested the RSA team to have a look but i'm guessing the first thing they'll want to try is to see if the car cranks. Don't really trust their judgement so i turn over to you with the following questions:
  • When we crank the engine, can any water/debris be sucked from the exhaust? Car is the 1.8 petrol if that matters here.
  • I'm not sure to what degree were the components that are above the engine cover, exposed to water. Any risks to the oil sump or gearbox?
  • Anything that i should do before i turn on the ignition and start the car?

Thank you for reading it till the end !
Looking at the water level it shouldn't have caused any damage on the intake side. The air intake is placed fairly high up on the Octavia. Still to be on the safer side:

- Screw open the air filter cover and check the air filter. If it's flooded or has traces of dampness, best to get the car towed and have the engine opened and check for water in the combustion chamber.

- Water shouldn't be sucked in ideally through the exhaust. You should be able to crank the car without any issues if the water level shown in the pic was the max.

Turn the ignition on first and check whether you are getting any warning lights which might indicate an issue with any of the electricals or the gearbox.

Last edited by vishy76 : 23rd August 2020 at 20:37.
vishy76 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2020, 11:04   #4569
BHPian

70,000km Service Update

So my Octavia completed a year since the last service in 2019 and i got the car serviced at the new dealer in Noida- Brite Skoda. Usually i have been taking about 9-10 months to do 15,000 km, however, due to the lockdown, could only do 10,000 km between the services.

Checked the cost on the app and it showed the estimated bill to be in the range of Rs. 15,000 with change of usual filters & oil, brake fluid and fuel filter. It was spot on!

The final bill came to be Rs. 18,000 as I opted to get the interiors dry cleaned and the 3M AC disinfection done from them rather than taking the car to the 3M store. Would have paid the same amount in the store too so did not make much sense to take it to the 3M store later.

Had requested for an inspection of the discs all around since they are stock (all sets of pads have been changed once) and the workshop said that they are good for another 5-7000 km. Will change all discs and pads around the 75,000km mark from the dealership itself. The stock brake set up is good enough for my needs and use of this car.

The only issue i had reported was that the left side DRL had stopped worked and the right one was fading away. They have put in the warranty claim and the headlights should be here in a week's time. It is fairly well known and documented issue and Skoda promptly changes the headlights under warranty so did not make any fuss about anytime.

The car is back to driving like new and i did not have any mechanical issues to report in any case. Will update the thread once the headlights are changed.

Cheers!
Rohan
RohanDheman is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th August 2020, 11:27   #4570
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RohanDheman View Post
70,000km Service Update

So my Octavia completed a year since the last service in 2019 and i got the car serviced at the new dealer in Noida- Brite Skoda.
Rohan
Hey,

How was the experience with Brite Skoda? I usually get our Octavia Serviced from Jai Auto Mathura road and the experience has been so-so. Mine is a 2014 TDI AT and even I faced that yellowing issue for the Left headlight but got it changed under warranty. Now the Right side also turned yellow last year but Jai auto guys said it's due to some headlight lock that broke and not the usual manufacturing defect that these Octavias are prone to.
I was still thinking of trying my luck with goodwill warranty and also try the new service center at Noida.
Old 24th August 2020, 11:39   #4571
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyak_ss View Post
Hey,

How was the experience with Brite Skoda?
I was still thinking of trying my luck with goodwill warranty and also try the new service center at Noida.
It was a good experience and i play to stick with them as they are only 3km from home. I had been going to Jai in Gurgaon (close to office) since Noida did not have a dealer for the last 2 years. Another member and friend here (lapis_lazuli) also got his Superb serviced from them and was very happy. His review here:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...review-31.html (Skoda Superb : Official Review)

Do try for the goodwill warranty. even if they wont change the entire headlight, you should be able to get a good discount on it.
RohanDheman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2020, 11:50   #4572
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RohanDheman View Post
70,000km Service Update

Checked the cost on the app and it showed the estimated bill to be in the range of Rs. 15,000 with change of usual filters & oil, brake fluid and fuel filter. It was spot on!

It is fairly well known and documented issue and Skoda promptly changes the headlights under warranty so did not make any fuss about anytime.
Glad to hear this. ₹15K is a pittance for a 70K km service, and the no-quibble replacement is excellent.

Skoda's VFM quotient for the Octavia just keeps getting better and better.
itwasntme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2020, 13:46   #4573
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMandarin View Post
Buddy, there is absolutely nothing to be worried about. My Polo has seen deeper water and is equipped with the same gearbox but smaller engine. Since the car was not turned on during the deep water, intake will have not taken any water at all. The exhaust on the other hand only expels gasses and does not take anything in. Once you start the car and drive it a little, the exhaust gases should clear out any remaining water and debris from inside the exhaust.
Old 1st September 2020, 14:33   #4574
BHPian

Hello friends,

Due to the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic, we are forced to have a lot of spare time. Yesterday, I utilized the entire evening to give some extra shine to my TSI.

Almost 2 yrs back our Skoda SS had given me a CarCare kit as a complimentary gift during the regular annual servicing of my Fabia. The kit includes, in all 6 bottles of Skoda specific products- viz. Car Shampoo, Car Polish, Tyre Polish, Glass Cleaner, Interior Cleaner, Windshield Washer fluid & a Microfiber cloth also.

The kit was lying in a corner all these days, mostly unused somehow. However, the Car shampoo was tried only once and only the Windshield Washer fluid was used regularly. But the Polishing material was just intact, which I decided to give an extensive trial yesterday.
It took almost 2 hrs to complete the job.

And finally, the results as you can see in the pics, are simply awesome, in fact exorbitantly shining I would rather say.

Needless to mention here, I am very much pleased with the quality and the end result of the products. Now I have decided to repeat the treatment once in every 2/3 months henceforth.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_20200831_200158.jpg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_20200901_104210__01__01.jpg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_20200901_111055.jpg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_20200901_105515__01.jpg  

Dr.Vikas is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2020, 18:02   #4575
BHPian

Hi folks,
Can anyone please advise on where I can get body cover for the Octavia in Delhi or by mail order. The one I bought from the Skoda dealer during delivery of the car in Jan. this year was of not great quality and lasted just 2 months. Then I bought one from Elegant Auto accessories, but that is beginning to tear up after 5 months of usage. I paid over 4k for the latter so it is kind of disappointing to see that it barely eked out 5 months.
So based on your experience, any advise on where to source the body cover from would be much appreciated ! Cheers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks