Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2020, 18:22   #4621
BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikrantshete View Post
After my recent tyre bulge I had the same issue. I put the spare tyre on the alloy wheel and got the alignment and balancing done from a nearby tyre shop. My car is still vibrating as triple digit speeds. Not sure if anything other than wheels could have something to do with this..
The issue was wheel balance. The car hat got stuck in slush and lot of clay was tuck on wheels and probably caused imbalance. After pressure wash drive was with no issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
I am really surprised that the coolant level went down on its own without any leakage. I do normally check the coolant and the engine oil levels once a month on my Jan. 20 purchased Octavia.... but I must admit this is something I never faced in my 10 year ownership of Honda Civic & Honda City. So I am actually perplexed as to how the coolant level went down on its own.
@Timothy, can you please update how did you resolve your coolant leak issue?
I am still having the issue and its quite unpredictable. Parking does not cause leak but when you run the car there and again it has nothing to do with distance. I am yet to figure out what causes it to decrease extensively in comparison.
Old 14th October 2020, 20:18   #4622
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abacusv View Post
I am yet to figure out what causes it to decrease extensively in comparison.
Losing coolant without any visible leaks or without any overheating engine usually points to a faulty/bad radiator cap which isn’t sealing correctly anymore.

Try getting the radiator cap replaced & check if the problem still persists. If it goes away, great! If it persists, something sinister (expensive to fix) is awaiting you.
Old 17th October 2020, 00:24   #4623
BHPian

Quote:
Coolant leak seem to be common issue in Octavia. I am also facing the issue since few months now. It suddenly started after long parking during lockdown.

Also, I am from Bengaluru and had a good advisor at vinayak cars at Whitefield ASC,
but now that is permanently closed and for me Tafe at Hosur road seems closest option. It will be helpful if someone can recommend a good Service advisor at this Service station.

Thanks in advance.
My Octavia too suffered coolant leak. massive one and they changed some part I guess it could be the pump.

One good service advisor that I recollect was Shambu. He moved to Sundaram motors of Mercedes. He used to be good but no point now.
Leave Service advisors. Talk to the floor support - Prashant. He is good
Old 17th October 2020, 10:27   #4624
Senior - BHPian

It could very well be a thermostat leak, it will not show any trails of coolant leak unless it is opened for inspection.
Old 17th October 2020, 14:14   #4625
BHPian

Got Michelin Pilot sport 4 installed from Tyre Trax Pune. Didn't get chance to ride much after that. The vibrations were due to a couple of dents on the alloy wheel which they got repaired for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img20201015110358.jpg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img20201015111322.jpg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img20201015112330.jpg  

vikrantshete is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 13:50   #4626

A Quick update on my 23K driven 2018 2.0 TDI

Did a Delhi-Bhimtal-Delhi Road trip a couple of weeks back. This was the first time I got to take my Octavia out on a proper long highay trip
Have been too busy with work last couple of years and then the lockdown did not help.

Certain things I finally got to notice:
1. The car took minor bumps and road undulations like a charm at Triple digit speeds.
2. Still don't really love the low speed suspension behaviour.
3. Had a very very steep entry to my accomodation (4 hairpins included in a tight tight spot) There was a Seltos with us as well (GTX+ DCT) and let me tell you, there was absolutely no comparison between the two. It was very difficult to get the seltos climb up the 100m stretch with a lot of wheel spin and loads of pauses in between to allow time for rethinking your next move. But the Octavia just took it like a piece of cake and climbed non stop in 1st gear at contant speed without any issues.
4. I discovered a new warning in the MID: 'Close window, Excessive Aerodynamic drag'
This happened when the rear passenger opened the window while cruising at 125kmph.

A week before this trip, I got my annual service done at Jai Skoda Gurgaon.
Here are some observations:
1. They have started charging INR 800 for basic car wash (generally is free with servicing)
2. Labour charges have gone up by 50% compared to last year.
3. Cost of fuel filter has gone up by 40% (rest all components were same)
4. I have been getting a slight clunky noise from my right suspension only while going over certain stiff breakers or potholes. SA took a test drive, heard the sound as well but told me its ok and just let it be. Though I appreciate that they did not take the opportunity to upsell and change componenets, I still dont like that sound. Any ideas what that might be?

Overall, service experience was ok without any issue but i feel the cost of parts and labour have increased a lot.
Automagical is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2020, 12:12   #4627
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automagical View Post
Certain things I finally got to notice:

4. I have been getting a slight clunky noise from my right suspension only while going over certain stiff breakers or potholes. ... Any ideas what that might be?
I have a maintenance package. Since I have already paid for the service they did not change the fuel filter for my TSI. Akoya Skoda, Pune told me only whatever is required will be changed. They didn't change the wiper blades either. My wiper blades are leaving a haze on the windshield now.

Also I wanted to see the oil change myself. Stayed at the service center whole day for that. They asked me to sit in the waiting area and assured me they will call me for oil change. They told me it will take a while and asked me to go for lunch. When I came back from lunch they had already changed the oil. Though they showed me the video of oil change, I am unhappy because they didn't even call me before oil change as they had assured. Effectively my day was wasted.

I don't really feel comfortable giving my car at the service center after hearing so many issues with skoda service from people.

About the suspension noise... Mee to been getting that from the front suspension/s.
Old 22nd October 2020, 00:51   #4628
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automagical View Post
A Quick update on my 23K driven 2018 2.0 TDI

I got my annual service done at Jai Skoda Gurgaon.
Here are some observations:
1. They have started charging INR 800 for basic car wash (generally is free with servicing)
2. Labour charges have gone up by 50% compared to last year.
4. I have been getting a slight clunky noise from my right suspension only while going over certain stiff breakers or potholes. SA took a test drive, heard the sound as well but told me its ok and just let it be. Though I appreciate that they did not take the opportunity to upsell and change componenets, I still dont like that sound. Any ideas what that might be?

Overall, service experience was ok without any issue but i feel the cost of parts and labour have increased a lot.

Good to know that you enjoyed the drive.

On the service part, the price increase looks steep. As it is 2018 purchase, vehicle will be in warranty. Why not address the sound in the suspension and get it corrected foc under warranty.

Been servicing at Jai Skoda for the last three years. I do stay with the car and do keep checking the activity, by the side. Took about 3 hrs on both the last two visits. Kind of okay the way service is done.
Old 22nd October 2020, 12:34   #4629

Here is the comparison between service costs.
Labour charges have doubled.
Fuel filter cost is 3 times now.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-screenshot-20201022-12.29.04-pm.png  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-screenshot-20201022-12.29.19-pm.png  

Automagical is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2020, 05:23   #4630
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
It could very well be a thermostat leak, it will not show any trails of coolant leak unless it is opened for inspection.
Drove it to PPS Service and this time the leak was evident with color all over the parts below. From inspection we could see leak from thermostat.
Very expensive part with labor he said 43K.

I think the part looks like this.

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-whatsapp-image-20201020-5.25.27-pm.jpeg

I'm just wishing I get some discount on this.
abacusv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2020, 05:42   #4631
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoosetoCruze View Post
If it persists, something sinister (expensive to fix) is awaiting you.
Quote:
From inspection we could see leak from thermostat.
Very expensive part with labor he said 43K.

I think the part looks like this.
That is one MASSIVE thermostat! I think what you are referring to, is in fact the water pump assembly..

On a related note, no damn wonder they are notorious for going out so regularly on VAG vehicles. Just look at all that plastic!! Why can’t they use metal water pumps, like most mainstream manufacturers?!

Last edited by ChoosetoCruze : 23rd October 2020 at 06:00.
Old 23rd October 2020, 06:48   #4632
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoosetoCruze View Post
That is one MASSIVE thermostat! I think what you are referring to, is in fact the water pump assembly.
A Google search on the part number indicated on it - 06L121111H says thermostat and water pump housing.

eBay Germany has the part for 186 Euros inclusive of international shipping.

https://www.ebay.de/itm/06L121111-Fu...e/333675346092

Maybe with a bit more searching you can find one cheaper elsewhere?
Gannu_1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2020, 09:37   #4633
Distinguished - BHPian

Perennial recurring issue every 30/40K km in the EA888 engine family. I had my 1.8's unit changed under extended warranty too. Needed some cajoling but I paid only for consumables if I remember correctly.
Old 24th October 2020, 10:00   #4634
BHPian

Ceramic Coating on my Octavia

Though my Octy is around 15 months old, I hadn’t got Ceramic coating done. I was a bit apprehensive about the results and the costs. Finally gathered moolah and courage to get it done.

I hunted few locations in Gurgaon for Ceramic coating. Prices quoted were around 30-35 k for 3M and 9H coating was offered. At one of these places, Batra Car Care, in Sec -14, he offered me great discount on it. I had already used his services for accessories for several of my earlier cars. Naturally, I was confident of getting Ceramic coating done here.

After the final result, The shine and gloss was awesome. It was totally worth every penny spent here. I am sharing some of the pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-c30a28f25f2d4da7bbe29596de0d9c1b.jpeg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-1706524fef2047978548a13c7bd87272.jpeg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-1f08af2fd441419b9e259db9a9832cb9.jpeg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-31d0df00bf914684acef58d8f4fdb626.jpeg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-7e19bd2bb7334442ab3008d201404246.jpeg  

K.grg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2020, 13:36   #4635
BHPian

4th Service Update : 43,000 KM (car is 3 years old now) - Skoda Octavia AT Style Plus 1.8 TSI

Basic Service Done, had issues with ABS sensor & start/ stop button. The ABS sensor of the front right wheel was malfunctioning, Skoda replaced it under warranty and lubricated the start/ stop button. Both issues got resolved but a new issue popped-up of the seat memory function button not working. Waiting for updates from Skoda on this new issue.*

Skoda also advised on clearing sunroof drainage (costing 6,000) which I denied for now but will definitely consider it for next service.
shahbaz63 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks