Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2020, 23:13   #4711
BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoosetoCruze View Post
You didn’t mention the mileage & year of your car, but something in your front end is worn & needs attention. Do not change your tyres before fixing the underlying problem or else the new tyres with suffer from the scalloping/cupping just like the previous set.

For your reference -
Thank you for these illustrations. I think my issue is similar to the scalloped wear in the first attachment. I have already rotated tbe tires and will wait till March for my annual service.

My car is March 2019 regn and mileage is 25K kms.
Lambydude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2021, 21:03   #4712
BHPian

New Year, New Challenges

Today morning when i slid my hand in the door with the key in the pocket, nothing happened.
I took out the key and realized the red indictor light wasn't glowing.
Thankfully the spare key was working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Vikas View Post
Finally, the saga ended with a big surprise for me. When I took the already 'failed' remote key fob near the door handle to unlock the car manually, the LED glowed red, the ORVMs started to unfold and all the door locks opened as usual.
I remembered reading about your experience here and earlier today, i tried swapping the battery with the spare key. The battery from the primary key is working in the spare key so its not a battery issue.

I tried unlocking the car manually to do the synchronization. The car sounded an alarm which stopped after i unlocked and quickly started the ignition but the red light still doesn't glow.

Still a gamble if the red light starts glowing itself in a couple of days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nma83 View Post
Thanks! But your solution from #4554 did not work for me. The instrument cluster said 'Cannot detect key' while the car alarm screamed at me because it was unlocked with the physical key and ignition did not turn on soon after.
So looks like the key is really dead and I would have to get it replaced.
Hope it is not a harbinger of the car battery giving up next .
Eager to know if you found a solution to this issue.

The car is detecting the key and throws a "Replace key battery" message which sounds deceptive as I've already tried swapping batteries.

The cars age is also almost 1.5 years just like in your case.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 2nd January 2021 at 15:57. Reason: Spacing for improved readability
theMandarin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2021, 01:46   #4713
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMandarin View Post
My car never gave any error but at 1yr service, they replaced the battery on my almost unused spare key. I was skeptical, because my polo is its 6th year! but 2 months later I.e. 2 weeks back, my other key just died, same as yours, no red light.

I ordered new duracell batteries and all was back to normal.

I think these remotes don't work when battery is very low, just get a new one and it should work!
SLK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2021, 11:57   #4714
BHPian

Quote:
New Year, New Challenges

Today morning when i slid my hand in the door with the key in the pocket, nothing happened.
I took out the key and realized the red indictor light wasn't glowing.
Thankfully the spare key was working.
Eager to know if you found a solution to this issue.
The car is detecting the key and throws a "Replace key battery" message which sounds deceptive as I've already tried swapping batteries.
Oh so this seems to be a trait of 2019 cars then! I checked with TAFE service and they asked to setup a service appointment. Yet to take it to service center though. I replaced the cell with a panasonic but of no use. Probably have to try duracell once before going to the service center.

With me not travelling anywhere at all recently, I have kept postponing the service center visit .

Last edited by suhaas307 : 2nd January 2021 at 15:56. Reason: Spacing for improved readability
Old 2nd January 2021, 13:08   #4715
Distinguished - BHPian

Common issue with the Octavia key battery. Try swapping with more batteries bought from reputed places. Unfortunately, most CR cell batteries in India are counterfeit.

When you find a reputed source, buy a couple extra and keep in the glovebox.
itwasntme is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2021, 20:57   #4716
BHPian

Quote:

I tried unlocking the car manually to do the synchronization. The car sounded an alarm which stopped after i unlocked and quickly started the ignition but the red light still doesn't glow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
I think these remotes don't work when battery is very low, just get a new one and it should work!
Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Common issue with the Octavia key battery. Try swapping with more batteries bought from reputed places.
Got a new battery today and the key is functional again. Didn't have to do the synchronization either.
Its a bit surprising that the battery from the spare key didn't work but maybe its a sign that it may also be almost exhausted.
Old 4th January 2021, 17:31   #4717
BHPian

Quote:
Got a new battery today and the key is functional again. Didn't have to do the synchronization either.
Its a bit surprising that the battery from the spare key didn't work but maybe its a sign that it may also be almost exhausted.
Interesting, can you tell me the brand of the battery and where you got it from?
Old 5th January 2021, 09:37   #4718
Senior - BHPian

In case anyone is wondering about the boot capacity of the Octavia with the seats down. It gulped up my full sized Montra. I removed the rear parcel tray and pushed down the seats flat. Quite a useful boot eh?
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-whatsapp-image-20210105-9.33.28-am.jpeg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-whatsapp-image-20210105-9.33.28-am-1.jpeg  

Pancham is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 19:26   #4719
BHPian

An update on the first service of my Octavia 1.8 TSI L&K. Due to the lockdown & work from home the car had barely run 1700 kms in the first year. Took it to Bright Skoda in Noida, one of the New dealers in Delhi NCR.

Very impressive facilities, wherein they have the showroom & the washing area on the ground floor and 2 massive elevators to take the cars on to the 3 floors that are dedicated for repairs and service. They allowed me on the shop floor to see my car getting serviced. This was on the first floor and they mainly had Octavia's on this floor and a couple of superbs.

The person assigned to my car first checked the battery and said that it needs a charge & put it on a quick charger while starting with the servicing part. The oil was changed, although he said that the old oil was in a pretty good condition due to the less mileage on the car, but it has to be changed as per company rules. The oil they use is 5W-40 which is supplied by Skoda. I had read in some of the earlier reviews that the car tends to gulp oil in the first year, especially if the running is low. But no such issues here and the oil was at normal levels in the car. The air filter was changed which was in a pretty decent condition again, but surprisingly the a/c filter was quite dirty. Blame it on Delhi's polluted air !!! Air pressure was checked on all the 4 tyres & shampoo top-up done on the windscreen washer fluid.

While scanning the car, I was informed that the battery on the key is showing as weak and if I would like to have it changed, I said please go ahead. the cost for this was Rs.330/- + GST. then a customary test drive was done followed by a final vacuuming of the interiors, lubrication of Sunroof beading and a customary polish on the interior dasboard plastics etc.

Total time taken was about 5 hours which included the car washing and the bill was Rs.9800/-
Overall a decent experience and surprisingly the fellow assigned to service my car was really very efficient and energetic, which you hardly see anywhere. I wasn't sure they would allow me on the shop floor, so I was pleasantly surprised when they agreed to it quite happily.

While conversing with the SA, he mentioned that all the Karoqs were sold out at an OTR of 29 lacs and even the demo car which had clocked 7K kms went for 26L . In the showroom they had 2 Octavia VRS in red and green colour, a superb and a Rapid.

Overall the service experience was a quite good and I really liked the cleanliness and the layout of the service facilities at Bright Skoda. Hope they keep up the good work and maintain their standards.

Cheers and a happy Weekend, folks !

Last edited by suhaas307 : 26th January 2021 at 10:28. Reason: Spacing for improved readability
Timothy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2021, 00:25   #4720
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
Overall the service experience was a quite good and I really liked the cleanliness and the layout of the service facilities at Bright Skoda. Hope they keep up the good work and maintain their standards. Cheers and a happy Weekend, folks !
I had a good experience too! (same observation with remote battery! its just too soon though). And they have plenty of sanitizers everywhere, which I liked.

The only issue I see with their workshop is the approach to the lifts which take the cars down to the shop floor. The building pillars are all over the place and often the way most of these guys drive, swiping a pillar isn't very difficult.

They also stuck a Brite Skoda sticker at my car's rear, which they couldn't take off because it was badly stuck. Will have to use a heat gun to get rid of it someday. (so if one is going there, tell them not to stick it, beforehand).
SLK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2021, 16:45   #4721
BHPian

Gave my '18 Octavia Tsi for its 3rd service. Had taken maintenance package when i got the car. The SA said gear/transmission oil needs to be changed and it does not comes under the package. Is this true?
Old 10th January 2021, 07:22   #4722
BHPian

Hello Anand,
Oil replacement is included as part of the service package.
itssmano is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2021, 10:37   #4723
BHPian

I said the same. They said engine oil is included but not transmission oil so have to pay for it.
Old 10th January 2021, 12:38   #4724
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnandB View Post
I said the same. They said engine oil is included but not transmission oil so have to pay for it.
Do you have the detailed coverage details? Best to refer to the same. It will either be clearly excluded. If not it's upto Skoda to explain why.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2021, 13:01   #4725
BHPian

Quote:
Gave my '18 Octavia Tsi for its 3rd service. Had taken maintenance package when i got the car. The SA said gear/transmission oil needs to be changed and it does not comes under the package. Is this true?
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by itssmano View Post
Hello Anand,
Oil replacement is included as part of the service package.
A quick glance on the Skoda India website shows what all are covered in the service package.

Standard Package:

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-screenshot_20210110125055949_com.android.chrome.jpg

Enhanced Package (Standard + Additionals):

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-screenshot_20210110125136778_com.android.chrome.jpg

Comprehensive Package (Standard + Enhanced +Additionals:

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-screenshot_20210110125139529_com.android.chrome.jpg

Transmission oil is not included in either of the three packages.

EDIT: Missed the last one. Isn't ATF, Automatic Transmission Fluid? If so, it would be included in the service package.

Link: https://www.skoda-auto.co.in/aid/supercare-campaign

Last edited by Tojo_GotBhp : 10th January 2021 at 13:05. Reason: Correction

Most Viewed