Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2021, 18:36   #4831
BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Vikas View Post
Unfortunately, it's very true that NO ASC is much reliable. In case if you want/ need to escalate any such matter to Skoda hierarchy, you may send a mail it to Zac Hollis, Director- Skoda India.

If you refer to the pic in my previous post, you can notice that the stock battery supplied with my Octavia is a 60Ah Exide make only and it's been serving me till date. After topping up Battery water it's working fine. Will update soon if any issue arises.
So I believe they can't deny any warranty claim on the basis of Battery make provided it's to be with the same specs.
Will check with Zac and Skoda India if I can deviate from 72Ah. Either the Skoda dealerships are misinformed or Skoda is putting unreasonable restrictions in the name of warranty. I guess hardly anything would draw customers to ASC as much as the compulsion to be honoured for the sake DSG warranty. The transmission is just too fragile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
Suggest you write a mail to ŠKODA and escalate, no way the dealer can push their product due to non availability of Exide at their end.

On the contrary, my experience with ŠKODA and the dealer (Tafe Bangalore) is excellent in last 5 years. Mine is a manual diesel and car has been very reliable (touchwood). Infact I found the service to be better than Ford and Maruti that I owned / own. Hope it stays that way
Good to hear that. You are among the rare customers who are satisfied. You do have the most reliable variant of the Octavia. Recently saw the pics of a Yeti on FB group, that has done 310K Km with reasonable maintenance. It has 2.0 TDI with manual transmission. I would have taken the same variant as you if only it had independent rear suspension. I wasn't foreseeing the 27000 Km I did in a year at that time.
Old 20th May 2021, 00:56   #4832
BHPian

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-screenshot_20210520004908.jpg

This is the price quoted in the app for the battery. Even with tax on labor it will be below 9000.
According to ASC the battery itself costs 11500 plus 3000 for the cover which is mandatorily sold with the battery. If the prices keep changing they should update in the app. What is the point of the app if the dealership is going to confirm the price. While buying the car I was told that service centres can't take you for a ride as all the prices are set by Skoda centrally.
Old 23rd May 2021, 22:19   #4833

Hello folks, Hope everyone is doing good.

I would like to seek inputs on buying a pre-owned 1.8 TSI L&K Octavia, ODO at 19k, purchased Feb 2020(Manufacture date: Aug 2019). The owner has got full body PPF done and opted for 4-yr comprehensive service. Asking price is 21.5 Lakhs.

I got the vehicle inspected at Skoda service center and there were no major concerns, except for a couple of minor scratches and 1 fully(and 1 partially) broken AC vent. The owner has agreed to cover for the fully broken one.
While test driving, along with SA, I noticed some noise on uneven roads and thought it to be coming from items bouncing in the boot. The SA confirmed it to be the sunroof rattle.

Need help with the below queries:
1) Is it possible to completely get rid of this rattle with lubes/ service(as mentioned in the previous posts). Or is this something that I will have to live with?
2) Should I proceed with this deal? If not this, my options would be Kushaq/ Taigun when released.

Thanks in advance.
Old 24th May 2021, 15:18   #4834
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbr88 View Post

I would like to seek inputs on buying a pre-owned 1.8 TSI L&K Octavia, ODO at 19k, purchased Feb 2020(Manufacture date: Aug 2019). The owner has got full body PPF done and opted for 4-yr comprehensive service. Asking price is 21.5 Lakhs.
Price seems fair, but may be 20 Lakh would be more ideal. To answer your questions:
1) Sunroof rattle - learn to live with it. Whatever fix you do, it will return every few months. opening and closing the sunroof once in a while helps with that, and lubricating the beading with gummi pflege https://www.amazon.in/nextzett-91480615-Gummi-Pflege-Rubber/dp/B004B8GTQG

2) Octavia can't and shouldn't be compared to Kushaq / Taigun. A deserving comparison could be the Karoq / T-Roc. Having said that, Octavia is still in a league of its own for the power, space and practicality use case of this car. Kushaq / Taigun is much smaller in comparison, not so premium build and features compared to Octavia L&K. T-Roc is still on sale, where as Karoq won't be coming back for 2021 as Skoda focuses on Kushaq, New Octavia and Kodiaq facelift.

The air vents are sometimes covered under warranty too, they are known to break off easily in later batch cars. Extended warranty to protect yourself from unforeseen expenses is must with the Octavia. As there are plenty things that could go wrong in this car. Right from Mechatronic, Water Pump, Thermostat, Oil cooler, Radiator, AC Cooling Coil, DRLs turning yellow over time, etc. Best to be safe with extended warranty. All said and done, if the car drives like butter, your heart will tell you to go for it. Start negotiating!
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2021, 16:31   #4835
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not a bad deal, but as mentioned in previous post try to bargain for 20 lakhs. Considering the car is registered in Feb 2020, the chances of those 19k kms run in heavy traffic is less (due to covid breakdown) and hence wear and tear might be slightly less (just an assumption). End of it if you liked the drive you should go for it. Also Octavia cannot be compared to Kushaq and Taigun - be it engine, practicality, space etc.

However if you are flexible on budget you should wait for the new Octavia too, though might be above 30 lakhs OTR

Last edited by suhaas307 : 24th May 2021 at 18:00. Reason: spacing for improved readability
sunikkat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2021, 14:57   #4836

Thank you for your replies, adi_petrolhead and sunikkat!

The owner is firm on the 21.5L price, having come down from initial asking price of 23L.

I do realize that Octavia is in a different league altogether. Those options I mentioned have more to do with my budget, around 20L, than drawing any comparisons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
All said and done, if the car drives like butter, your heart will tell you to go for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
End of it if you liked the drive you should go for it.
I absolutely loved the test drive although it was limited due to local lockdown timings. It does seem like a major upgrade for me, coming from an 8-yr old Hyundai i20. But what concerns me is the length of the vehicle causing issues while parking in tight spaces. That is the only thing holding me back currently.

Let's see how it goes in the next few days.
Old 25th May 2021, 17:24   #4837
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for your replies, adi_petrolhead and sunikkat!

I absolutely loved the test drive although it was limited due to local lockdown timings. It does seem like a major upgrade for me, coming from an 8-yr old Hyundai i20. But what concerns me is the length of the vehicle causing issues while parking in tight spaces. That is the only thing holding me back currently.
Parking space, Yes - it does take space but car doesnt feel the size while on the move and you will be able to drive easily in the city. And in the highways, its all together a different story
sunikkat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2021, 22:50   #4838
BHPian

How does one know how much life is left in the brake pads by looking at their thickness? Octavia brake pads can be visually inspected by looking between the alloy wheel spokes (or whatever they are called) at least for the Style variant. Rear brake pads were changed for my car at about 40000Km. Pics attached. Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_20210522_161337.jpg

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_20210522_161400.jpg
Old 26th May 2021, 08:36   #4839
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikrantshete View Post
How does one know how much life is left in the brake pads by looking at their thickness? Octavia brake pads can be visually inspected by looking between the alloy wheel spokes (or whatever they are called) at least for the Style variant. Rear brake pads were changed for my car at about 40000Km. Pics attached. Attachment 2160608

Attachment 2160609
You can search within this thread itself. For example, my experience: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post4701474

Visual inspection is good but do change as per the service interval, especially if they are cracked or even slightly damaged. Any delay will damage the brake discs leading to far bigger issues.

The 1.8 TSI demands excellent brakes, and ~7K/set is a pittance in my opinion.
Old 28th May 2021, 15:47   #4840
BHPian

Hi all,
My Octavia ('17 make) is approaching towards the end of its initial warranty and slowly the problems have started creeping in, I guess.

Few days back, it was the Battery that suddenly refused to respond. However, with jumping start the car and adding some battery water to it, it seems to have got rejuvenated at least for the time-being. And thankfully, till date it hasn't shown any sign of its 'one off' problem.

Now yesterday, it's the Scroller/ Roller Button on the Steering wheel controls assembly, that has been broken. In fact, it's so delicate/ fragile in nature that many Octavia owners might have faced this issue some or the other time.

Then today morning, I called the SA at Skoda ASC and he asked me to visit the service centre on 1st June, as it's currently shut down under Covid pandemic restrictions. And then only he'd be able to check whether the claim could be settled under warranty or not.

My question to fellow members here, has anybody got it replaced under warranty ? And if not, please share leads to the aftermarket availability if any along with the approximate price of the unit, either single or both sides.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-broken-roller__01.jpg  

Dr.Vikas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2021, 16:13   #4841

Quote:
Now yesterday, it's the Scroller/ Roller Button on the Steering wheel controls assembly, that has been broken. In fact, it's so delicate/ fragile in nature that many Octavia owners might have faced this issue some or the other time.

My question to fellow members here, has anybody got it replaced under warranty ? And if not, please share leads to the aftermarket availability if any along with the approximate price of the unit, either single or both sides.
I had the same problem (right side scroll wheel) with my Octavia (MY2015). The SA had told me that the whole assembly had to be replaced (not in warranty). I do not remember the exact amount quoted but it was a decent one. I just used fevikwick to stick it and it has held well together for more than 3 years now
rodmart is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th May 2021, 16:53   #4842
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodmart View Post
I had the same problem (right side scroll wheel) with my Octavia (MY2015). The SA had told me that the whole assembly had to be replaced (not in warranty). I do not remember the exact amount quoted but it was a decent one. I just used fevikwick to stick it and it has held well together for more than 3 years now
Same with me too, they asked to replace the whole thing and it was quoted around 20k (atleast that's what i remember) for the full set. Fevikwick did the the magic and working perfectly fine since 2 years.
sunikkat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th May 2021, 16:58   #4843
BHPian

Quote:
I just used fevikwick to stick it and it has held well together for more than 3 years now
Thanks rodmart and sunikkat,

I also had the Fevikwick jugaad in my mind at the first place, but still decided first to check with the Skoda ASC to have an official response on the Warranty claim and then take the call accordingly.

Anyways, I'm sure, Fevikwick will take care of the damage more efficiently and effectively, in any case.

Last edited by Dr.Vikas : 28th May 2021 at 17:00. Reason: Addition
Dr.Vikas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th May 2021, 17:21   #4844

Quote:

Few days back, it was the Battery that suddenly refused to respond. However, with jumping start the car and adding some battery water to it, it seems to have got rejuvenated at least for the time-being. And thankfully, till date it hasn't shown any sign of its 'one off' problem.
My first two batteries of the Octavia lasted for around 18 months each. The first one (Varta) was replaced pro-actively by Skoda, the second one (Exide, if my memory serves right) conked off suddenly one day and refused to start without jump-starts. SA refused to replace without cost since the warranty for the earlier replaced battery was one year only. The third one (Amaron which I brought from outside) has been running fine for more than 2.5 years now.

I would suggest you bring up the battery issue with the SA and get it replaced (if possible within warranty)
Old 28th May 2021, 20:28   #4845
BHPian

Quote:
I would suggest you bring up the battery issue with the SA and get it replaced (if possible within warranty)
Thanks for the suggestion.

My car is (now in the 4th yr) still running on stock battery which is an Exide make. And I doubt receiving any co-operation from ASC on the Battery issue in my case.
Only because, it's been working fine without any problem since then and I think, it would hardly reveal any problem on checking.

Still I would raise the issue now during my next visit. In fact I guess, they should have checked the battery during the 3rd Annual Servicing in Nov.20 and then the battery water should have been topped up.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks