Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2021, 23:17   #4846
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Vikas View Post
My question to fellow members here, has anybody got it replaced under warranty ? And if not, please share leads to the aftermarket availability if any along with the approximate price of the unit, either single or both sides.
If you search this very thread, you will have your answer
Old 29th May 2021, 00:48   #4847
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Indeed, a little search in this thread itself displayed many such cases of Scroller Wheel damage. However, the response from ASC people to this so common issue, has surprisingly been gone either way..

It's pity that such a poor quality spare part is used in otherwise a good quality luxury car by Skoda and still they dare to reject the warranty claims. Simply unbelievable and disgusting too!

Anyways, will update my experience soon.
Old 29th May 2021, 08:01   #4848
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
My car is (now in the 4th yr) still running on stock battery which is an Exide make.
This is a bit of a surprise to me, I thought all stock batteries in VAG (VW/Skoda) cars were of Varta make. Never knew exide is also supplied as OEM. What's the Ah rating ? Same 72Ah ?

Last edited by Sheel : 29th May 2021 at 08:38. Reason: You have been asked to capitalize your starting word, how difficult is that?
Old 29th May 2021, 11:31   #4849
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
Never knew exide is also supplied as OEM. What's the Ah rating ? Same 72Ah ?
It's 60 Ah 280A model and the car is in 4th yr of ownership.

You may please refer to the pic shared along with my post #4826 on page no 322.
Old 29th May 2021, 13:19   #4850
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
It's 60 Ah 280A model and the car is in 4th yr of ownership.

You may please refer to the pic shared along with my post #4826 on page no 322.
Thanks for correcting me, I was under the wrong impression. I always thought VW/Skoda A.S.S made such a huge fuss about "aftermarket batteries" because the Ah was an unusual number which only VARTA batteries provided (even if a certain degree of Ah mismatch of stock vs aftermarket (for example 60 v/s 55) is not really such a big deal from an electrical perspective).

If it is 60Ah indeed (freely available aftermarket), what is the big fuss with "oh this is aftermarket battery, warranty denied" nonsense ?
venkyhere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2021, 23:55   #4851
BHPian

Quote:
The thread has grown quite a lot (even though relatively small compared to other threads.) and some things could be missed out while reading. I do a google search with team bhp included in the search query. Works most of the time but still, sometimes you don't get the answer you are looking for.

Did not try long queries in team bhp's own search.

Coming to DSGs, I did a bit of Google search and came across few mechanics that claim to repair/replace mechatronic, multi clutch and flywheel and the cost for that would be about 85K (for multicluth and mechatronic). Wondering if anyone on this form has tried a mechanic outside for DSG repairs, or knows anyone who has done so. I also came across a writeup which says that even though mechanics claim to repair the DSG, they may not be aware of all that needs repair and the issue might not get completely resolved. Just trying to assess if there is an economical way to maintain the DSG post the warranty period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
If it is 60Ah indeed (freely available aftermarket), what is the big fuss with "oh this is aftermarket battery, warranty denied" nonsense ?
Honestly it is not the Battery that is causing the DQ200 gearbox to fail. It will fail no matter what you do. Don't know why they want to 72 Ah battery so religiously. They told me that even if I get a 72Ah battery in the market, using that battery can void warranty.

Rather than peace of mind, the 6 year warranty seems like business strategy to keep customers coming to service centres. For several years VW/Skoda is aware of failing DSG gearboxes but they did nothing to eliminate the issue. (They only did hacks like changing the oil used so that eventuality can be delayed.)

The car is not designed for Indian traffic I guess. I have started feeling like I bought a car from a manufacturer that does not give a damn about the customers here and its just a side business for them to sell cars here and be present in the market somehow. I doubt if VW 2.0 will have any impact on luxury segment like Octavia/Superb/Kodiaq as localisation of parts will most probably be limited to their mass market (relatively) models only i.e Kushaq and the Rapid replacement.

Last edited by Aditya : 30th May 2021 at 05:55. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Old 7th June 2021, 16:58   #4852
Senior - BHPian

Malayalam auto journalist Baiju drives the old Octavia VRS in this latest video.

My most favourite car to have ever been on Indian soil. I own a Laura TDI since 2011 but this Octavia is the one that gives me goose bumps every time I see one on the roads. Even after fifteen years, this car is still a looker. Right styling proportions, build quality and it's driving dynamics are the hallmark of VRS'. Still dreaming to own one some day !

Old 7th June 2021, 18:06   #4853
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

2016 (13K km) - ₹9,900 ('free' interior enrichment)
2017 (27K km) - ₹14,400 (includes paid ~2.2K set of spark plugs)
2018 (41K km) - ₹21,200 (includes paid ~7K front brake pads & free interior, 10% discount offer on select)
2019 (56K km) - ₹13,800 (as per service schedule, 10% discount offer on select parts & labour)
Updated service costs for my MY16 Octavia 1.8TSI Style Plus:

2016 - December (13K km): ₹9,900
Included 'free' interior enrichment
Battery changed under warranty

2017 - December (27K km): ₹14,400
Includes paid ~2.2K set of spark plugs

2018 - November (41K km): ₹21,200
Includes paid ~7K front brake pads & free interior, 10% discount offer on select

2019 - December (56K km): ₹13,800
(as per service schedule, 10% discount offer on select parts & labour)

2020 - November (61K):₹28,545
As per service schedule even though seriously limited running
'Extras' include:
Spark plugs (could have avoided due to limited running)
Pandemic sanitization charges
Wiper blade change (juddering, could have bought cheaper outside)
Wheel alignment and balancing (could have done outside for much cheaper) Door panel removal for lubrication of moving parts
3M cleaning (could have done outside)

Apart from these scheduled services (and this is where Skoda owners look up to the heavens):
Battery - ₹10K paid replacement (died without warning within 2 years while parked at home)
Water pump & V belt - warranty replacement
Both headlight assemblies (DRL yellowed) - warranty replacement
DQ200 DSG (!) - warranty replacement

Last edited by itwasntme : 7th June 2021 at 18:20.
itwasntme is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 8th June 2021, 20:33   #4854
BHPian

Quote:

Now yesterday, it's the Scroller/ Roller Button on the Steering wheel controls assembly, that has been broken. In fact, it's so delicate/ fragile in nature that many Octavia owners might have faced this issue some or the other time.

My question to fellow members here, has anybody got it replaced under warranty ? And if not, please share leads to the aftermarket availability if any along with the approximate price of the unit, either single or both sides.

Thanks
I got this replaced under warranty. While the s roller was not broken like this, the entire pad was loose. Was replaced without much fuss, though I had to remind few times to my SA.

Quote:

My car is (now in the 4th yr) still running on stock battery which is an Exide make. And I doubt receiving any co-operation from ASC on the Battery issue in my case.
Only because, it's been working fine without any problem since then and I think, it would hardly reveal any problem on checking.
Wow. That's a record, I think. The first one I am hearing about the oem battery lasting for 4 years. Actually you have to pay them double then.
Karvel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2021, 07:38   #4855
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karvel View Post
I got this replaced under warranty..

Wow. That's a record, I think. The first one I am hearing about the oem battery lasting for 4 years. Actually you have to pay them double then.
Thanks, Karvel for your compliment on my Battery. Wasn't much aware of the issue of Dead batteries in Skoda cars.

Happy to read about your warranty experience, it really has encouraged me to push my claim now.

UPDATE:

The replacement of Scroller Wheel in my Octavia under Warranty has been awaited as the ASC in Kolhapur was closed.

Now, the ASC has been opened but still with some restrictions. And by the time, I had 2/3 calls with the SA in this regards.
It seems the Scroller wheel replacement under warranty would take some time as it's not readily available with them.

Further I'll have to take my car to ASC for initial check up and registration for Warranty claim. I have already been asked to spare at least 4-5 hrs then to complete the formalities with Warranty 'dept' and further to get the final approval.

Then only, order for the 'part' could be placed and finally it would be replaced, on arrival from the company. Thus anyhow the entire process world probably need a month or 2, if not more, I guess.

Accordingly the appointment is fixed for Friday and let's hope, everything goes smooth then.
Old 9th June 2021, 10:39   #4856
BHPian

Quote:
Thus anyhow the entire process world probably need a month or 2, if not more, I guess.
This seems unreasonably long. The approval in my case was done in a matter of hours and since the part was in stock, changed in a couple of hours and car handed back. Should not be months in any case. Just write to Zac and tweet if necessary.

Even in case of my headlight replacement, the entire process did not take more than a week so month(s) seem a bit unreasonable. Just hound them because this is a known issue and many of us have had the part replaced in warranty.
RohanDheman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2021, 15:34   #4857
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RohanDheman View Post
This seems unreasonably long. The approval in my case was done in a matter of hours

Just hound them because this is a known issue and many of us have had the part replaced in warranty.
Thanks RohanDheman for the input.

Just received an SMS from ASC regarding confirmation of Service on 11.06.2021.
Btw, I am not worried about the Warranty approval, it'll be processed within hrs. (Touchwood)
But in view of Covid Pandemic, Lockdown and possible issues with delayed Logistics, I don't see any relief in availability of the part soon.
Anyways, it'll be cleared only on 11th itself.
Old 11th June 2021, 17:00   #4858
BHPian

Re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

So finally, visited the ASC today. Anxious moments with Skoda continue as usual..

Due to lack of adequate staff there and also the particular SA appointed for my vehicle being absent (working on A/Days), no any firm decision on Warranty claim could be possible. Additionally, the PP who looks into warranty issues had been quarantined for Covid infection.

Still few snaps of the car and the damaged part were taken by the only SA available.
He then asked me whether I would be getting the job done there only, in case if the warranty claim is rejected.
I straightway told, "No, not at all. In that case I would rather prefer the 'Feviquick'wala Jugad, in stead of going for a Paid replacement."

Jokes apart, now the entire matter is supposed to be discussed with the concerned person and then whatever decision arises, would be intimated to me on phone. Hope, this won't turn out to be a beginning of another infamous Skoda ASC horror story !

Thankfully, the Skoda ASC is just about 30 kms away from my residence, so I could reach my home back within 2 hrs.
Anyways, to put the things officially on record, I just summarised my thoughts and mailed it back to the ASC.

Now let's wait for their response !!
Dr.Vikas is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2021, 21:41   #4859
BHPian

Quote:
Just received an SMS from ASC regarding confirmation of Service on 11.06.2021.
Btw, I am not worried about the Warranty approval, it'll be processed within hrs.
Friends,
Visited the ASC on 11th June and it is 15th June today.
Meanwhile, NO any reply to my mail or any call has been received from ASC during these 4 days.
However, I called 2-3 times just to keep tracking the issue. Nothing substantial is being assured by the dealership, to report here.
Today when I called again, the SA told me that as it's a moving part and it's damaged due to mishandling, the replacement can't be coverd under warranty.

That's the age-old story at most of the Skoda ASCs. Some really great products getting hindered by such a poor Service.

Finally, placed a concern with the Customer care through My Skoda App once again.
Waiting for the response now.
Old 16th June 2021, 13:21   #4860
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Updated service costs for my MY16 Octavia 1.8TSI Style Plus:

Apart from these scheduled services (and this is where Skoda owners look up to the heavens):

(1) Water pump & V belt - warranty replacement
(2) Both headlight assemblies (DRL yellowed) - warranty replacement
(3) DQ200 DSG (!) - warranty replacement
How much those three would have costed if not replaced at free of cost under warranty?? Would be interesting to know these figures as it looks the max failure parts are covered (probably expect the 2nd line item)

Most Viewed