Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2021, 13:16   #4861
BHPian

Re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Vikas View Post
UPDATE:

The replacement of Scroller Wheel in my Octavia under Warranty has been awaited as the ASC in Kolhapur was closed.

Accordingly the appointment is fixed for Friday and let's hope, everything goes smooth then.

Update:
Unfortunately, with Skoda, we can't always expect a prompt service from the ASCs. However, their approach seems to be changing towards betterment these days, thanks to the proactive leadership of Zac Hollis.

Negotiations regarding my warranty claim are still going on with the ASC at Kolhapur through exchange of mails and also with the phone calls. I presented few screen shots of similar claims of Skoda owners being granted previously by their respective ASCs. I can't understand, why these Skoda ASCs behave reluctantly like the Govt offices while extending support to their own customers.

Then the Service Manager today has asked me to give him 2-3 days time to work on the claim. He also suggested me to confirm my decision on the 2 yr EW soon as the offer would be expiring in Sept '21 (i.e. 2 months before the expiry of the primary warranty of 4 yrs).
I replied that it'd be considered only with my experience regarding the current pending claim.

Thus, no any firm conclusion has been achieved by now. But it seems, things would be sorted out soon. Waiting !

Thanks,
Old 22nd June 2021, 16:23   #4862
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Then the Service Manager today has asked me to give him 2-3 days time to work on the claim. He also suggested me to confirm my decision on the 2 yr EW soon as the offer would be expiring in Sept '21 (i.e. 2 months before the expiry of the primary warranty of 4 yrs).
I replied that it'd be considered only with my experience regarding the current pending claim.
In the past as I also had to wait for a part to be claimed under extended warranty, dealer was kind enough to guarantee me that I could get the part changed right away by paying the amount as they had it in stock, and they will credit the amount once the claim has been accepted. And they did do it! If your car is just sitting there waiting for approval, this might be an option for you. Eventually the higher ups will come around and offer you goodwill support. Dont wait for the decision on extended warranty. If you plan to keep the car even a year longer after your standard warranty expires, it'll be totally worth it.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2021, 20:04   #4863
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
If your car is just sitting there waiting for approval, this might be an option for you.

Dont wait for the decision on extended warranty. If you plan to keep the car even a year longer after your standard warranty expires, it'll be totally worth it.
Thanks for your concern, adi_petrolhead.

In fact, the car isn't there at the workshop as the damage is minor & isn't involved in its driveability. It's well with me serving my daily commutes.

And my decision on purchase of EW is awaited only in view of my low mileage and also I am not very sure about keeping the car for 3-4 yrs more or beyond.
I am still in ownership of my 2010 Fabia 1.2 TDI, but not convinced with the reliability of DQ200 DSG of Octavia.

Still at least 2 months time for the decision to be taken. Let's see then.
Old 25th June 2021, 16:01   #4864
BHPian

Tyres for my 1.8 TSI

My car has just run 20 K kms, in slightly short of 2 years. I had sent it for second service yesterday, the SA advised me for Tyre rotation for which I agreed. He warned me that there might be an increase in road noise, as the front Tyre (which eventually got changed to the rear), as they had worn out.

He informed me that either I can change them back as before, when the noise would be slightly lesser. But if I need zero noise, I should change the entire set. Given my low mileage, I really wonder about the change so soon. If I have to change from the stock ones, is Michelin 4 pS good?

Please advise.
Old 25th June 2021, 21:41   #4865
BHPian

Re: Tyres for my 1.8 TSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.grg View Post
But if I need zero noise, I should change the entire set. Given my low mileage, I really wonder about the change so soon. If I have to change from the stock ones, is Michelin 4 pS good?
If the stock tyres of your Octavia are of Good Year make, then they are likely to become hard soon.
Even I'm also facing the same issue in my 3.5 yrs old Octavia with the stock GYs.
The tyre noise and roughness observed especially while driving at slow speeds, irritate a lot to me.
Though the mileage of my car is just 23k kms, still I'm also thinking to change all the 4 tyres preferably to Michelin PS4 soon.
Any other suggestions ?

Update on Warranty Issue:

Today once again I received a call from the Service Manager of Skoda ASC. He suggested me to bare 50% of the bill amount (i.e. 11k ₹ approx.) and the remaining 50% amount would be borne by the ASC.
As per him in view of the recent warranty policy change, my claim couldn't be allowed by Skoda however the ASC has decided to extend me this special offer of their own considering my 11 yrs relationship with them.
I plainly refused this offer and further insisted for full settlement only of the replacement under warranty cover.
I also told him that he may speak to his higher ups and then revert back to me with his final decision. Anyhow, in case if required I would be escalating this issue with Skoda Customer care.
Finally, he assured me about reverting back on this issue on Monday.

So hopefully, on Monday the issue could be disposed off and then only the part would be ordered.
Dr.Vikas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2021, 22:41   #4866
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tyres for my 1.8 TSI

Quote:
Though the mileage of my car is just 23k kms, still I'm also thinking to change all the 4 tyres preferably to Michelin PS4 soon.
Any other suggestions ?
Depends on your driving style and requirement for comfort vs sporty tyre experience:

For comfort-oriented drivers, I would recommend the Michelin Primacy 4 ST or P4ST which also offers a higher life of the tyre + a cheaper price.

For the more sporty minded who doesn't mind a lower tyre life and spending some more: the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 ST or PS4ST.

You cannot go wrong with either to be honest.

Last edited by itwasntme : 25th June 2021 at 22:44.
itwasntme is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th June 2021, 13:43   #4867
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
Hi everyone,
An update on the strange case of the auto-theft alarm going off. Took it took Skoda last week and it was with them for 2 days and as one would have expected, the alarm never went off while the car was there. They kept it under the hot sun, in shade.... but the car stayed completely silent:-)

To cut a long story short, basically the problem was that I was keeping both the keys together and this was causing the alarm to go off and the problem was accentuated since the battery of the main key was replaced in Jan. during its first servicing & the replacement key had a weak battery. This was creating a problem with the car's auto theft alarm software. They replaced the battery of the spare key and asked me to keep in a cupboard, away from the main key and Lo & Behold the problem was solved !! At least for the last 5 days, haven't faced the issue and keeping my fingers crossed not to invoke Murphy's law ! Cheers !!
This problem of the auto theft alarm going off, kept coming back, so I had to take the car back to the service centre, where they kept it for some 4-5 days so that they could record the incident first hand . It turned out that an internal sensor : part No. 5Q0951171 was faulty, which they said they would replace under warranty. They did not have it in stock and said that it would have to come in from Germany and the time taken would be about 2 weeks. I said that's perfectly fine and asked them to disable the existing sensor installed in the car so as to avoid it gong off at odd hours.

In about 17 days I received a call that the said part has arrived, but soon the lockdown happened (towards 2nd half of April) and finally I got the part replaced last week. Also just out of curiosity, I asked them what the price for the part was and they checked and mentioned that it costs Rs. 10k

After changing the part, they gave the car a customary wash and cleaned it up before handing it back. But since then I notice that the ORVM's have started making a squeaking noise whilst opening and closing. I thought I would lubricate it myself but the OVRM mechanism is sealed / covered with no access for lubrication. Can anyone advise , if I can do this at home or do I have to take it to the service centre ? look forward to your views
Old 28th June 2021, 14:37   #4868
Senior - BHPian

Glad your issue for the anti theft system is solved! It is doable if you have some prying tool and balls of steel otherwise taking it to the service centre will be easier. Doing it ourself there is a chance we might end up breaking the mirror part, which is very expensive to replace. So my suggestion is not to risk it. They will do it in a jiffy and charge a nominal sum if not free. This is a common issue, but i remember it getting fixed in 2016, they replaced my mirrors assemblies with new ones under warranty back then, never had this creaking noise since. Earlier on the older units it was pretty annoying.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2021, 18:18   #4869
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
After changing the part, they gave the car a customary wash and cleaned it up before handing it back. But since then I notice that the ORVM's have started making a squeaking noise whilst opening and closing. I thought I would lubricate it myself but the OVRM mechanism is sealed / covered with no access for lubrication. Can anyone advise , if I can do this at home or do I have to take it to the service centre ? look forward to your views
Good to know that now random theft alarm does not happen.

On OVRM, if the sound is coming during opening and closing, use some silicon lubricant or any general purpose liquid lubricant on the folding / opening gaps. It should sort out the issue. No need to open the OVRM mechanism.
Karvel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2021, 19:44   #4870
BHPian

I am in Bangalore and looking to buy a

2018 Skoda Octavia
Trim - 1.8 TSI L&K
Mileage - 36000 KM

The car is in really good condition. The owner is asking for 19.5L and is not willing to come down below it.

May I know what should I quote? I believe 19.5L is on the higher side.
Old 4th July 2021, 23:07   #4871
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by how_you_doing View Post
I am in Bangalore and looking to buy a

2018 Skoda Octavia
Trim - 1.8 TSI L&K
Mileage - 36000 KM

The car is in really good condition. The owner is asking for 19.5L and is not willing to come down below it.

May I know what should I quote? I believe 19.5L is on the higher side.
This was expected mainly considering how the new Octavia is priced. Though 19.5 sounds a lot for an used Octavia, considering the used car prices in Bangalore it is still not bad. So if you are happy with the car try to get it down to 18.5 to 19 at least.
Else if you have the patience look out for other deals, but getting a low run 2018 L&K for lesser than 19 might not be easy.
Old 7th July 2021, 12:58   #4872
BHPian

Tyre Replacement

I was searching for Tyre replacement for my 1.8 TSI, and as read in this forum, I was keen on Michelin Primacy 4ST. However, bigger dealers are saying that Michelin products aren't available, due to some license issues, whereas couple of comparatively smaller shops are offering for 9.5K each. Intrigued, I had also checked for Pirelli and I was told that it is not available any more due to same issue.

One of the dealers said there are only two brands, which can be termed silent Tyre: Michelin and Continental. The price difference isn't much, as Continental is available for 8.5K each, so naturally cost isn't a deal breaker. The only issue which concerns me is whether Michelin is truly original, and if it is to, I will blindly go in for Michelin.

My confusion is whether to go in for Michenil P4ST or Continental. Driving comfort and reduced road noise is quite important for me, as it is for everyone.

Any pointers would be of immense help.
Old 8th July 2021, 11:04   #4873
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.grg View Post

My confusion is whether to go in for Michenil P4ST or Continental. Driving comfort and reduced road noise is quite important for me, as it is for everyone.

Any pointers would be of immense help.
Before I upsized to 225 17 45 (Conti CSC5) I was using Pirelli P6 and it was good at comfort and less road noise, though not great for handling. I see Pirelli is available in Tyremarket.com in the price range of Conti MaxContact. So it should ideally be available with dealers too.
But my pick would still be Michelin Primacy 4 ST in stock size if not looking for performance tyres.
Old 8th July 2021, 12:40   #4874
tud
BHPian

Looking for some advice from the auto experts:

I'm looking for an upgrade from my 9 years old hatch back and was considering a crossover (Creta/Harrier) or a C segment sedan (City/Verna).

An acquaintance is selling his 2019 Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSi. The car has done a little above 10000 kms. The used Octavia will be pretty much in the price range of the new cars I've mentioned (+ 2 - 3 lakhs). Is this a good option? Car will mostly be used by one adult during the week and the family using it in the weekends.

The DSG gearbox could be a hit or a miss. How much should I keep aside in case there is an issue with gearbox/mechatronics outside the warranty period.

What will be a right price for this car?
Old 8th July 2021, 13:54   #4875
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tud View Post
Looking for some advice from the auto experts:

I'm looking for an upgrade from my 9 years old hatch back and was considering a crossover (Creta/Harrier) or a C segment sedan (City/Verna).

An acquaintance is selling his 2019 Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSi. The car has done a little above 10000 kms. The used Octavia will be pretty much in the price range of the new cars I've mentioned (+ 2 - 3 lakhs). Is this a good option? Car will mostly be used by one adult during the week and the family using it in the weekends.

The DSG gearbox could be a hit or a miss. How much should I keep aside in case there is an issue with gearbox/mechatronics outside the warranty period.

What will be a right price for this car?
A 2019 well maintained Octavia 1.8 TSI should cost around 19-20 Lacs in Bangalore. Again, used car market prices in Bangalore are a bit higher compared to other cities.

However, you haven't told the variant ( L&K or Style Plus) and whether the car has Extended warranty or not. Depending upon that the prices may changes +- 1 lac.

DSG gear box change outside the warranty period may cost you around 1.5 L. However, there has been instances where goodwill warranty has been provided by Skoda.
Lambydude is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed