Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2021, 11:52   #5026
BHPian

Re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Hello All,
I have found interest in Driving my 1.8 TSI on M mode (Hard M) in city traffic conditions. The recent rains, flooded roads, battered roads made me shift temporarily. But I found this useful even in dense traffic as I control the gear shift to avoid frequent UP & Down Shift.
My doubt is, does this prolonged usage on M mode affect the wear and tear of DSG faster than letting it work in D mode. I also have observed, the fuel efficiency is marginally improved though primarily not aimed at it.

I shall truly Appreciate technical advise. Cheers
itssmano is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2021, 17:22   #5027
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itssmano View Post
Hello All,
I have found interest in Driving my 1.8 TSI on M mode (Hard M) in city traffic conditions. The recent rains, flooded roads, battered roads made me shift temporarily. But I found this useful even in dense traffic as I control the gear shift to avoid frequent UP & Down Shift.
My doubt is, does this prolonged usage on M mode affect the wear and tear of DSG faster than letting it work in D mode. I also have observed, the fuel efficiency is marginally improved though primarily not aimed at it.

I shall truly Appreciate technical advise. Cheers
Welcome to the club . I have a GT TSI that I've driven 80-90% of the 70k kms in manual mode. The DSG hasn't shown any signs of any issue so far.

For the Octavia - I drive it in D most of the time, but when in hurry, it is always M. I find the D in Octavia more fuel efficient even when trying to drive easy in M.

I see problems with using M in slow moving traffic because while in M, the 2nd gear doesn't engage below a certain speed (and then jumps to 1st frequently) and dragging in 1st isn't fun. Same with rumble type speed-breakers in M, it goes to 1st gear and then you can sometimes hear scary mechanical sounds from the gearbox.

So the rule I follow, engage M above crawling speeds.
SLK is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2021, 09:16   #5028
BHPian

Hello Again,
This condensation was during the recent rains. This has eventually disappeared in a week after the rains stopped.
Should this even occur inside a sealed housing. In the upcoming service during, I shall check about it.

Is this similar to the wrist watches which disappears once the weather changes or this is a flaw to be addressed effectively.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-5641addc9f03407d9b5c10aaff3e93ed.jpeg  

Old 12th December 2021, 10:55   #5029
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Again,
This condensation was during the recent rains. This has eventually disappeared in a week after the rains stopped.
Should this even occur inside a sealed housing.
itssmano, no sealed beam is truly sealed as there are vents for releasing heat. In my Bi-Xenon Octavia, there are rubber caps which serve the same purpose by releasing heat without allowing too much external air in.

You can carefully check your dust caps behind each bulb area once. But overall not to worry I feel.

On another note, used my Octavia as a Tata Ace van:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post5213331
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2021, 12:25   #5030
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Again,
Thanks
It's a common bane for many VWAG car owners. It's there on our Tiguan, was there on our Laura L&K earlier.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2021, 13:13   #5031
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
It's a common bane for many VWAG car owners. It's there on our Tiguan, was there on our Laura L&K earlier.
Religiously record it on every job card in both manual and formal electronic format. That is the Plan B which will not be needed hopefully!
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2021, 21:05   #5032
BHPian

A question to all owners, how do you find the availability and waiting period of spare parts? I have been waiting for over a week (after being promised they would arrive in 4-5 days) for headlights, a couple of window switches and a suspension bushing. The Service Advisor at DR Auto Turbhe keeps pushing the deadline by a couple of days every time it comes up.
Old 18th December 2021, 09:37   #5033
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revsperminute View Post
A question to all owners, how do you find the availability and waiting period of spare parts? I have been waiting for over a week (after being promised they would arrive in 4-5 days) for headlights, a couple of window switches and a suspension bushing. The Service Advisor at DR Auto Turbhe keeps pushing the deadline by a couple of days every time it comes up.
If you are outside warranty suggest getting it done from a good independent garages. The VAG spares are easily available if you are not going with OEM parts, and in some cases the after market ones are premium than OEM. Just to give an example for ABS sensor once the dealer quoted 3 days while I got another good brand from a FNG the next day of placing the order.
If you are still in warranty not much of an option as waiting period even for small parts are higher. But then I believe it’s more or less same with all D segment + cars irrespective of the brands, with VAG being slightly on higher side
sunikkat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2021, 10:01   #5034
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
If you are outside warranty suggest getting it done from a good independent garages. The VAG spares are easily available if you are not going with OEM parts, and in some cases the after market ones are premium than OEM. Just to give an example for ABS sensor once the dealer quoted 3 days while I got another good brand from a FNG the next day of placing the order.
If you are still in warranty not much of an option as waiting period even for small parts are higher. But then I believe it’s more or less same with all D segment + cars irrespective of the brands, with VAG being slightly on higher side
Thank you Sir, any recommended FNG in Mumbai where I can get work done in the future?
Old 18th December 2021, 11:02   #5035
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revsperminute View Post
Thank you Sir, any recommended FNG in Mumbai where I can get work done in the future?
Unfortunately don’t know much in Mumbai. But I am sure folks in Mumbai can help.
Old 19th December 2021, 12:55   #5036
BHPian

Hi,
I had serviced the car at Gurudev, Chennai after this discussion. They opened it up for me and explained the vent for heat dissipation though LED used here does not heat up compared to earlier lighting bulbs. Also because lower temperature by LED evaporation is slower making it persistent for few days. 3-4 days after rain stop if it persists, they advise a check.
It was good a awareness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
itssmano, no sealed beam is truly sealed as there are vents for releasing heat. In my Bi-Xenon Octavia, there are rubber caps which serve the same purpose by releasing heat without allowing too much external air in.

You can carefully check your dust caps behind each bulb area once. But overall not to worry I feel.

On another note, used my Octavia as a Tata Ace van:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post5213331
Good Day to all,
Does anyones holds a digital document covering the scope of Service Package for Octavia 3rd Generation. 55555 for 4 years until 2020.
I am aware they came up newer maintenance package for all models sold.

My specific query is - 2 days after my Scheduled Servicing I had a ! Amber Caution on the IC. Took it AS which diagnosed side mirror indicator LED faultier.

I was billed for the part and labour. I was explained the labour charges for such replacements are not covered under Servicing Packaging even if it was done part of scheduled servicing.
I didn’t/don’t have a copy of the document to refer. Clarification for the self is needed. If some one can help please. Thanks

Last edited by Aditya : 19th December 2021 at 19:29. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Old 19th December 2021, 15:04   #5037
BANNED

Quote:
Good Day to all,
Does anyones holds a digital document covering the scope of Service Package for Octavia 3rd Generation. 55555 for 4 years until 2020.
I am aware they came up newer maintenance package for all models sold.

My specific query is - 2 days after my Scheduled Servicing I had a ! Amber Caution on the IC. Took it AS which diagnosed side mirror indicator LED faultier.

I was billed for the part and labour. I was explained the labour charges for such replacements are not covered under Servicing Packaging even if it was done part of scheduled servicing.
I didn’t/don’t have a copy of the document to refer. Clarification for the self is needed. If some one can help please. Thanks
Yes, clearly it is not a scheduled maintenance item and won't be covered in any service package.

But It may be covered in warranty if you have it active.
agambhandari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2021, 16:38   #5038
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

This should ideally be covered in warranty. Please write a mail to ŠKODA.
Old 24th December 2021, 15:03   #5039
BHPian

Hi BHPians!

Posting after a long gap... need your advise on what to do with my March 2017 registered, Nov 2016 manufactured Octavia 2.0 TDI AT. The oddo reads 61,000 KMs+ and the car has served me well so far, barring three battery replacements I have had a fairly stable ride. The car has been driven 70% by our driver (not so gently!) and 30% by me, it has done long distances occasionally as well as city commutes.

While, it has reasonable amount of cosmetic (superficial) damage - bumps, scratches and scrapes. No major dents. It has started to make the car look lesser than what it is, I am in two minds on how to get these fixed ie go to Skoda bodyshop or visit a bodyshop outside?

Now the dilemma on to retain the car longer say 10-15k KMs/1 year more... till such time there are more options in the EV space...(keep to have 1 EV in the garage along with 2 other ICE vehicles

Now, the reliability factor is giving me fair amount of uneasiness... I have had a C class, a 7 series, a Camry all which started to mount bills once they were beyond 60-70k KMs or 4-5 years old, this lead to me having disposed them for much lesser than they were worth, maintaining them further was no longer feasible, I fear the same with this Octavia.

With Skoda being infamous for reliability and the warranty has been over for almost a year now... I am a worried owner. In terms of issues I am noticing - the vibrations in the car are getting stronger by the week and a reliable mechanic told me the engine mount(s) need a change, they've been used beyond their life.

Furthermore, the stock Goodyears have now totally served past their life and need replacing.

I am seeking your help in making this decision... heart says, spends some moolah and get the new rubbers, get the mounting changed and get the scratches and scrapes touched up, but the mind says by spending this (my estimate is Rs. 40-100k?) I will be investing money in something which is a ticking time bomb and will eventually start giving me issues which could cost me more and more, as well as with the 10 year lifespan of Diesel vehicles in Delhi, the resale will plunge further with each month and cosmetic repair.

If I replace the Octavia, I would only stretch my spendings to say about Rs. 15-17 lacs OTR and that won't get me a car which is as fun and comfortable as an Octavia and I will have to settle with another ICE vehicle and potential regret when promising EVs launch in the coming months.

What to do? It's heart versus mind.
Old 25th December 2021, 20:22   #5040
BHPian

Fellow Octavia owners, may I know which dash cam you are using?

I talked to Skoda ASS in Bangalore and they are saying they have Blaupunkt front dash cam which they can fit.

Do you think it is a good option? I can see more option in the dash cam thread but I want the Skoda ASS to do the setup and installation. I do want cloud storage too instead of memory card storage for convenience.

Most Viewed