Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2022, 17:42   #5086
BHPian

Re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Took this video yesterday in the evening.
Old 26th February 2022, 16:18   #5087
BHPian

Hey fellow owners, the ASC diagnosed it to be a leak from the cooling coil. But they didn't sound too convincing. Upon asking for an estimate, I was told it's going to cost ~25k and the parts need to be ordered. Does this sound proper? 25k is a significant amount of money. Moreover, a casual search on GoMechanic lists the part at 3800 INR and it's 2915INR on Boodmo. Is there any competent independent mechanic I can get a second opinion from in Navi Mumbai? This sounds very fishy.
Old 3rd March 2022, 17:07   #5088
BHPian

Hi friends,

I had been in Goa for 2 days for the #DriveWithSLAVIA event arranged by SkodaAutoIndia for the 15 'Founding Members' of the #FansOfSKODA group formed recently..

It was a great opportunity for me to meet some excellent Skoda fans across India and the best part being brief interaction with none other than Zac Hollis himself. Driving the all new Skoda Slavia, of course was the star attraction of the event.

The event was well organized by Skoda India with wonderful hospitality, superb planning and greatly executed at Taj Exotica Resort & Spa, Goa. May be rated as a once in a Lifetime opportunity !
By the way, I have suggested to arrange an exclusive Plant Visit some day for the Skoda lovers pan India. Will sure let you people know about any development in this regard !

My Octavia returned a wonderful FE of 18 kmpl on my way to Pune during late night drive ! Thanks to the speed violation challan received recently & then followed by some sedate driving by me also.

While returning back from Pune yesterday, I discovered Skoda's one more 'Simply Clever' feature regarding Drivers Fatigue Alert

On my way back it was just after the dawn, I wished to give my 'Better half' a demo about the Alert message in the MID for a 'Tea Break' ☕ by deliberately pretending to doze while driving, expecting that the system will recognise it and would shoot the Alert smartly.

I tried for a long time but alas, to my surprise, nothing had happened.

I guess, that's more than just 'Simply Clever' by Skoda, as the System might have had recognised that I was pretending and was deliberately playing a mischief so as to fleece her.

Cheers, have a fun !!
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_20220227_234033.jpg  

Dr.Vikas is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2022, 20:04   #5089
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Vikas View Post
While returning back from Pune yesterday, I discovered Skoda's one more 'Simply Clever' feature regarding Drivers Fatigue Alert

On my way back it was just after the dawn, I wished to give my 'Better half' a demo about the Alert message in the MID for a 'Tea Break' ☕ by deliberately pretending to doze while driving, expecting that the system will recognise it and would shoot the Alert smartly.
The system takes in to account erratic throttle and braking, erratic steering input. It doesn't have a sensor to judge your eyes are open or closed. Just hope that the feature never triggers as it could be really dangerous to doze off, and what if the alert doesn't make you alert, wouldn't it?
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2022, 21:34   #5090
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
The system takes in to account erratic throttle and braking, erratic steering input.
Just hope that the feature never triggers as it could be really dangerous to doze off, and what if the alert doesn't make you alert, wouldn't it?
Hi Adi & thanks for your concern & apt reply.

In fact, I was just making fun out of the boring highway crowd early morning. You just missed the sarcasm intended.

I've travelled a lot during nights/ in fact did few overnight trips too but never have observed the Drivers Fatigue Alert in my Car as I always tend to pull the car aside especially at toll plazas whenever I feel sleepy and have a nice power nap irrespective of whatever hurry I may be in.

In fact, after the Skoda event at Goa, I just thought to share this twisted sarcastic story. Anyway, everyone needs to enjoy driving Skoda sensibly with buckles up!
Finally, Safety first should be our motto on roads.
Sharing a random click of my car !
Thanks again,
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_20220303_183316__01.jpg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-screenshot_20210903064622.jpg  

Last edited by Dr.Vikas : 3rd March 2022 at 21:40.
Dr.Vikas is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2022, 02:56   #5091
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revsperminute View Post
Hey fellow owners, the ASC diagnosed it to be a leak from the cooling coil. But they didn't sound too convincing. Upon asking for an estimate, I was told it's going to cost ~25k and the parts need to be ordered. Does this sound proper? 25k is a significant amount of money. Moreover, a casual search on GoMechanic lists the part at 3800 INR and it's 2915INR on Boodmo. Is there any competent independent mechanic I can get a second opinion from in Navi Mumbai? This sounds very fishy.
What evidence do they have to support the fact that it is the cooling coil? Did they do a leak test on the system by evacuating it completely and seeing if it holds vaccum for an hour or more? If yes and if it did indeed fail, did they check all other suspect areas such as the schradder valves, the high pressure switch and the condenser to ensure none of those are leaking? If both these things are done and no leaks are found in the condenser and the plumbing within the engine bay, then yes it has to be the cooling coil that is the culprit. Unfortunately, it's nestled behind the dash in the HVAC console so you can never do a conclusive test unless it's opened up and checked.

The OE VAG cooling coil according to boodmo is around 17-18K. A labour of around 6-7K for dismantling the entire dashboard and evacuating and recharging the system takes it to 25K. I would say it sounds about right.

You can take a second opinion for sure from a trusted AC mechanic. The only thing I would want you to be aware of is that ac systems in general are very finicky and need to be worked on carefully. Whenever you recharge the system (which has to be done in your case), the job needs to be done with precision and using good quality equipment and refrigerant. Any moisture or contaminants introduced here will harm the compressor in the longer run. If it is indeed the cooling coil, I would advise you cough up the 25K and get it done through Skoda. The entire dash also needs to come off for this job, so it's better to have the ASC deal with this if you don't know a trusted FNG or AC mechanic.
Old 6th March 2022, 08:07   #5092
BHPian

At last took the plunge
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-608b9fe04cd14de0bb5e691deccc3e30.jpeg
Upgraded alloys to 17 inch Momo Rush and tyres to 225 50 R17 Michelin Pilot sport 4. Drove on 34psi.
Differences noted
- Steering is 25% tighter
- Ride has become a bit more “crashy”
- Grip is vastly improved
- Tyre noise has increased a bit compared to Goodyear eagles
- Body roll has reduced though I am riding a bit higher now
- Will have to see the real world FE drop. Felt it has dropped by 1kmpl. I will have to wait and see the results.
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-91b6b0824d494155ade364eb5d4a2bea.jpeg
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-2a30a3c09ec9408fadb8d2a6af86ed4b.jpeg
sandygordon is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th March 2022, 23:09   #5093
BHPian

Tyre upsize trouble

For past 2 days, ie 4 days after tyre upgrade I am getting all sorts of errors, errors of ABS, TCS, Power assist for steering, TPMS, Park pilot and manoeuvre braking. All these disappear after engaging in park mode with engine on for 20 -30 seconds. Should I be worried? What is the fix?
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-4ddd4c50f12f4e919c543a39f823e83b.jpeg
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-4ddd4c50f12f4e919c543a39f823e83b.jpeg  

Old 10th March 2022, 00:02   #5094
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tyre upsize trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post

For past 2 days, ie 4 days after tyre upgrade I am getting all sorts of errors, errors of ABS, TCS, Power assist for steering, TPMS, Park pilot and manoeuvre braking. All these disappear after engaging in park mode with engine on for 20 -30 seconds. Should I be worried? What is the fix?
Attachment 2282682
Mostly the ABS sensor would have gone kaput. Or some dirt in the sensor.
If your vehicle is not under warranty, get it done from a FNG. Else take it to the service center, but they might ask to change wheel bearing too.

Last edited by sunikkat : 10th March 2022 at 00:05.
sunikkat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th March 2022, 08:41   #5095
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
Mostly the ABS sensor would have gone kaput.
In addition to the above advice, how old is the battery? VAG cars are notorious for flashing multiple error messages if the battery is weak (i.e. > 2 years). Further, did you by any chance disconnect/reconnect the battery or water wash the engine bay?

Do get the battery voltage checked and ensure a tight fitting of the terminals. Don't stress - do the above few checks and all will be fine.
itwasntme is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2022, 18:51   #5096
BHPian

Hi guys. I'm looking at two used facelift octavia 3rd gen 2.0 TDI DSG, 2018/2019 models. Is there any great difference between the 2018 and 2019 models ? Both are L&K and i see that the 2019 model has got the virtual cockpit compared to analog dials in 2018 model. Any other major difference i should be aware of ? Thanks.
Old 28th March 2022, 20:42   #5097
BHPian

Hello All,
This is about the Skoda One app that was available until few months ago in IOS (and hopefully) in Android store which was available to plug in and use. This Skoda proprietary app was kind of fun and snag free to follow technical performance with some fancier widgets too. This app is now withdrawn from App stores.
Have not got any suitable reply from Skoda Support. Retracting a functional value addition isn’t pleasing.
Has anyone here felt the void and found a suitable alternate for it. I wish to tweet Mr Zac about it if we don’t have a solution.
Old 1st April 2022, 09:51   #5098
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
All looks good to me. But I don’t see any mention of radiator flush. That needs to be done when you have oil in coolant. And I’d recommend getting a new radiator as that was the next thing that failed for me, and finally the radiator cooling fan. I wouldn’t go as far as the fan replacement with your car but try to get the radiator replaced, then all your coolant system is new. Do note, water pump is also a wear and tear item, do get it checked during next visit.
Sorry for late reply. The radiator was also flushed. Its been 2 months since the work and the car has really upped itself with very smooth drive. I should say the SA did a real good job. No issues so far.
Old 3rd April 2022, 00:56   #5099
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post

For past 2 days, ie 4 days after tyre upgrade I am getting all sorts of errors, errors of ABS, TCS, Power assist for steering, TPMS, Park pilot and manoeuvre braking.
Were you able to resolve these issues? I would blame it partly on the tire / wheel upsize. The correct upsize should have been 225/45/17. You have increased the wheel diameter by quite a lot. It could be one of the reasons why these errors are popping up. If its not too late get a set of 225/45/17 tyres. Your tyre shop might take the current tyres as buy back for almost the same price as you bought them, assuming here that you wouldn’t have clocked a lot of kms on them yet.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2022, 10:27   #5100
BHPian

Hello All, to the experts - what is the correct tyre pressure for the Octavia TSi with stock Goodyear Eagle tyres. We are 90% of the time two people in the car driving urban and semi urban roads on Tamilnadu, Kerala.

Until Last Annual Service in December 21, we had no complaints with 32 psi. The ride was smooth, good fuel economy of 10KMPL in City and 15/16 KMPL on highways.

Post the service, I found the ride was tougher than ever on the same roads. Fuel economy has dropped considerably. The servicing was was done without Wheel alignment or balancing.

In March 2022, the battery was changed to an OEM Varta Battery.

As a double check, car was taken last week to SGA Coimbatore to understand/investigate this issue. They kindly used VAG, checked Air Filter and battery.

They advised to me conduct a 100KM ride and give them a feedback.

By our calculations; as well the onboard computer indicates a 20% reduced fuel economy. We are looking for solutions to improve the ride quality and to restore fuel economy.

My suspicion is on the spark plugs or on the Coimbatore traffic which is congested than Chennai.

May I ask for inputs that could help us, Briefly the car has clocked 21000 Kms in 2 years and 2 months.

Thank you all

Last edited by itssmano : 3rd April 2022 at 10:37. Reason: Auto corrections by the IoS

Most Viewed