Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2022, 06:11   #5221
BHPian

Re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Definitely should get primacy 4, i had the primacy, then put pilot sports 4.
Can’t tell the difference in grip in usual driving, but the ride has become harder and it’s much noisier. Also, the tyre life is lesser and mileage is lower ( though this could be also due to upsizing a bit 225 instead of 205).
Old 29th September 2022, 06:59   #5222
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_nan View Post
... ( though this could be also due to upsizing a bit 225 instead of 205).
What size did you put in 225s? 16 or 17? Profile?
Old 29th September 2022, 08:15   #5223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
What size did you put in 225s? 16 or 17? Profile?
I put 225/50/r16. Managed to bend my 16” rims, so had to change them. Didn’t have the guts to go to 17” with the state of Karnataka roads.
Have no issues at all, except for the slight spray on the sides during rains because of the wider tyres and rims.
a_nan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2022, 09:45   #5224
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_nan View Post
I put 225/50/r16. Managed to bend my 16” rims, so had to change them. Didn’t have the guts to go to 17” with the state of Karnataka roads.
Have no issues at all, except for the slight spray on the sides during rains because of the wider tyres and rims.
Didn't know PS4 was available in 225/50/16. Michelin India's site shows only the PS3, but glad to hear you managed to get them. This is the much desired correct upsize for both the Jetta and the Octavia, but was impossible to get for the last few years.

If you don't mind me asking, what are the manufacturing dates, price and where from in BLR?

Your perception of increased noise and lower mileage is definitely correct (as compared to the more benign Primacy), and is very much due to the wider contact patch.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2022, 12:51   #5225
BHPian

Quote:
Didn't know PS4 was available in 225/50/16. Michelin India's site shows only the PS3, but glad to hear you managed to get them. This is the much desired correct upsize for both the Jetta and the Octavia, but was impossible to get for the last few years.

If you don't mind me asking, what are the manufacturing dates, price and where from in BLR?

Your perception of increased noise and lower mileage is definitely correct (as compared to the more benign Primacy), and is very much due to the wider contact patch.
I probably got the last set they had, it was 2020 november, (manufactured mid 2018) got it from sai iyengar, indiranagar. I think it was Rs 12,000 each and you are correct, it was PS3 not PS4..
Now, need the same size tyre which is more like the primacy series, but not easily available.
a_nan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2022, 19:58   #5226

Hey everyone! Need some input on buying a used Octy. I’m being offered a 2019 TDI Onyx variant with 40,000 kms on it and it’s in really clean physical condition. However, I felt that the sound from the engine was a bit high but owner said that it’s typical for the Octy diesels to sound a bit loud.

Now in an ideal world I’d love to go for the petrol Onyx because it’s more powerful and it has a better suspension. But the cost of petrol and the relatively unreliable gearbox are deterrents for me. So for all practical reasons I’m thinking of picking up the diesel.

Here’s the question I want to ask, how loud is the diesel version supposed to be? And if it is loud what are the possible reasons and is it possible to fix under warranty?

Also for reference they’ve quoted 21 L after negotiations. And yes this is the average price in Chennai for that model
Old 2nd October 2022, 02:10   #5227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by surya.drives View Post
Here’s the question I want to ask, how loud is the diesel version supposed to be? And if it is loud what are the possible reasons and is it possible to fix under warranty?
Is there any unusual sound? A 2 litre diesel mill is bound to be a bit noisy. Same is the case with BMW 20d engines when heard from the outside. Our 5 puts a tractor to shame on a cold start. Is there any kind of warning light on the dash? Furthermore, if the car is under warranty, you don’t have to break a sweat.
Old 2nd October 2022, 09:46   #5228
BHPian

Quote:

For reference, my phone measures 64db noise and 5.1 mm vibration when measured by smart tools app when phone is placed on the centre arm rest on my 2016 2.0 TDI DSG which has run 1.29Lakh KMs.
Old 2nd October 2022, 10:05   #5229
BHPian

Quote:
Hey everyone! Need some input on buying a used Octy. I’m being offered a 2019 TDI Onyx variant with 40,000 kms on it and it’s in really clean physical condition. Now in an ideal world I’d love to go for the petrol Onyx because it’s more powerful and it has a better suspension. But the cost of petrol and the relatively unreliable gearbox are deterrents for me.
Hey, if I was in your position, which I was almost a 3 years back, I closed my eyes and chose the TDI L&K, instead of the TSI L&K, which was a whole 2 lacs cheaper. Yes, the 1.8TSI has more power on paper, but do remember the torque in 2.0TDI is much more. The way 2.0TDI pulls forward with aggression is something the TSI just can’t deliver. And about the suspension, yes the Multi-link is indeed superior but wouldn’t call it a deal breaker. And yes the engine is quite noisy, but that’s the case with all the Octy 2.0TDIs, it isn’t well insulated like the Jetta for that matter. And once you remap the 2.0TDI, you’ll forget about the petrol. It’s much more economical and robust too. DQ250 > DQ200 anyday, the gearbox in the diesel is much more reliable. My suggestion would be to go ahead with it, especially that race blue (onyx) colour looks amazing. Just my humble opinion

Last edited by dieselhead01 : 2nd October 2022 at 10:08.
Old 4th October 2022, 14:26   #5230
JSB

Quote:

Oh, PS4 are noisier and less fuel efficient, is it? Then i might prefer Primacy - Looks like they are quieter, more fuel efficient and last longer than PS4.. what may be the downsides to Primacy vs PS4?
Old 5th October 2022, 00:27   #5231
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Now in an ideal world I’d love to go for the petrol Onyx because it’s more powerful and it has a better suspension. But the cost of petrol and the relatively unreliable gearbox are deterrents for me. So for all practical reasons I’m thinking of picking up the diesel.

Go for it, it’s one heck of a car. Close to 7 years and 72k+ kms, I still can’t get over it. Honestly the most reliable car I owned till now (touchwood). A simple stage 1 remap will give you 190bhp and 400nm torque.
The engine is noisy in general, but very difficult to determine whether the car in question has the normal engine noise or any issues. Suggest taking it to a service center and check.
Old 6th October 2022, 00:30   #5232
BHPian

Hi friends,

After quite a long gap, on 30th September, I'd an opportunity to take my Octavia for a much awaited long drive.
This time, it was indeed my pleasure along with few other FansOfSkoda members to meet Zac Hollis, Brand Director, Skoda Auto India at his residence in Mumbai just before he left India finally for his relocation at Skoda HO in Prague.

I started up at about 10.30 am with my better half and reached Pune at 2 pm for first break. Wifey was supposed to stay behind at the residence of her brother. And I then headed alone to Mumbai at 3.30 pm so as to reach Zac's residence in Bandra. We already had confirmed appointment of 8.30 pm and accordingly we all reached there well within time.

Needless to say, we had some great time and also good conversation during those 2 hrs spent with Zac before we bed good bye to him finally. Interestingly, Zac himself acknowledged our formal meeting on his FB timeline.
Please find the screenshot attached just for reference. FB Link
BHPian Sawnilrules then led us to a nice restaurant in Bandra East where we enjoyed the dinner and at the late midnight hrs, I headed back for Pune.

Update:
My Octavia returned FE of about 14.4 kmpl with full A/C 'ON' all the time during the 820 kms of travel that included hrs of 'stop & go' crawling in Pune/Mumbai and also heavy traffic in the 2 ghats en-route.

More surprisingly, NO any challan for Speed Violations was generated for the first time.
Mainly because I deliberately engaged the Cruise control at 99 kmph while driving on the expressway considering the speed limit of 100 kmph. And then for rest of the journey, my Control was very much ACTIVE in the passenger seat.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-screenshot_20221002173940.jpg  

Last edited by Dr.Vikas : 6th October 2022 at 00:50.
Dr.Vikas is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th October 2022, 09:05   #5233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Vikas View Post
Hi friends,

After quite a long gap, on 30th September, I'd an opportunity to take my Octavia for a much awaited long drive.
This time, it was indeed my pleasure along with few other FansOfSkoda members to meet Zac Hollis, Brand Director, Skoda Auto India at his residence in Mumbai just before he left India finally for his relocation at Skoda HO in Prague.
More surprisingly, NO any challan for Speed Violations was generated for the first time.

Cheers
Am I the only one who feels Zac was a major reason we trusted the Skoda brand’s support? One of the greatest personalities in the Indian Auto Industry.

Radarbot on your phone will also be a nice thing to have when the passenger seat is unoccupied. Do check it out.
revsperminute is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2022, 10:05   #5234

Quote:
Originally Posted by revsperminute View Post
Is there any unusual sound? A 2 litre diesel mill is bound to be a bit noisy. Same is the case with BMW 20d engines when heard from the outside. Our 5 puts a tractor to shame on a cold start. Is there any kind of warning light on the dash? Furthermore, if the car is under warranty, you don’t have to break a sweat.
Fair point, I actually tested another Jetta TDI and the sound was comparable. And no warning lights on the dash but then the steering wheel was vibrating a bit too much for my comfort. So I took it to a Skoda service centre and they said that's standard for a diesel which I don't really buy because we have a Corolla Altis and that doesn't vibrate quite so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaibhavyagnik View Post
For reference, my phone measures 64db noise and 5.1 mm vibration when measured by smart tools app when phone is placed on the centre arm rest on my 2016 2.0 TDI DSG which has run 1.29Lakh KMs.
This is why I love TeamBHP. I say the engine is too noisy and I'm given an exact reading for how loud it should be. Thank you this was helpful. I measured the ambient sound level on the car in question and it was 65db which I guess is standard fare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselhead01 View Post
Hey, if I was in your position, which I was almost a 3 years back, I closed my eyes and chose the TDI L&K, instead of the TSI L&K, which was a whole 2 lacs cheaper. Yes, the 1.8TSI has more power on paper, but do remember the torque in 2.0TDI is much more. The way 2.0TDI pulls forward with aggression is something the TSI just can’t deliver. And about the suspension, yes the Multi-link is indeed superior but wouldn’t call it a deal breaker. And yes the engine is quite noisy, but that’s the case with all the Octy 2.0TDIs, it isn’t well insulated like the Jetta for that matter. And once you remap the 2.0TDI, you’ll forget about the petrol. It’s much more economical and robust too. DQ250 > DQ200 anyday, the gearbox in the diesel is much more reliable. My suggestion would be to go ahead with it, especially that race blue (onyx) colour looks amazing. Just my humble opinion
Honestly, I'm leaning more towards to petrol (or VRS ) now after driving two diesels and steering wheels vibrated a fair bit in both. Don't know if it's an issue specific to these cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
Go for it, it’s one heck of a car. Close to 7 years and 72k+ kms, I still can’t get over it. Honestly the most reliable car I owned till now (touchwood). A simple stage 1 remap will give you 190bhp and 400nm torque.
The engine is noisy in general, but very difficult to determine whether the car in question has the normal engine noise or any issues. Suggest taking it to a service center and check.
Still looking for a good example without the steering wheel vibrations.

Off topic, I was offered a white 2018 stock RS230 with 65k kms on it, for 26 L. I can negotiate a little bit more but I'm worried whether the higher kms on it is an issue. I am also offered a nardo grey 2017 RS230 with 40k kms on it for 28.5L (not negotiable). I'm a little tempted with these because the VRS is such a special car to drive and I don't know if there will ever be a car as good as the RS in this price range. What do you guys think about these options?
Old 6th October 2022, 11:43   #5235
Senior - BHPian

Anyday a VRS, that’s very special. And I always feel bad for not waiting for few months for VRS 230 launch and went for TDI in 2016.
But now with few mods in my TDI, I have no regrets. How much ever hard I drive on highways (means some serious speeds) the efficiency never drops below 14. And now with VAG pulling diesel from India, it is exclusive too
sunikkat is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks