Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2022, 07:34   #5251
BHPian

Re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by surya.drives View Post
Hey everyone! Need some input on buying a used Octy. I’m being offered a 2019 TDI Onyx variant with 40,000 kms on it and it’s in really clean physical condition. However, I felt that the sound from the engine was a bit high but owner said that it’s typical for the Octy diesels to sound a bit loud.

Also for reference they’ve quoted 21 L after negotiations. And yes this is the average price in Chennai for that model
Wow ! So in 3 years the car has hardly depreciated. I remember when I picked up my 1.8TSI L&K around that time, the Onyx petrol was around 22L & diesel maybe a lac or 2 more....
Timothy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2022, 12:36   #5252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
Hi everyone,
the right hand side multi functional roller on the steering wheel of my 2019 model 1.8 tsi has broken, but the company is not replacing it under warranty saying that broken parts are not replaced under warranty. They say that the part costs Rs. 26,500/- as the entire assembly including the roller on the left hand side (for audio volume control) will also be changed along with it.
Any advise on this would be highly appreciated. Definitely I wouldn't want to spend 26K on this. Is there a possibility for sourcing just the roller from outside...
I remember reading a few months back on a post from Dr. Vikas that it costs 4-5 k to replace it, so I was shocked to hear the price of 26K. Look forward to getting a practical & more pocket friendly solution to this. Thanks
That scroller is of pathetic quality. When I got my pre worshipped 1.8 Tsi last year, the volume scroller was already broken and to date, it stays. Previous owner also was quoted some handsome sum by Skoda to get it replaced. I have tried a lot but unable to find just the scroller.

This is the case globally as well where the broken scroller issue continues to plague owners.

Since its a volume scroller, functionally it aint a huge problem however I would definitely want the right side to be working.

If you are able to find a replacement, please do let me know.

Cheers,
Raj
Desmosedici is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2022, 22:49   #5253
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi everyone,
the right hand side multi functional roller on the steering wheel of my 2019 model 1.8 tsi has broken, but the company is not replacing it under warranty saying that broken parts are not replaced under warranty. They say that the part costs Rs. 26,500/- as the entire assembly including the roller on the left hand side (for audio volume control) will also be changed along with it
Even when my Octavia’s scroller broke, I enquired with Skoda and they quoted around 20k. Later I fixed it with feviquick and worked like a wonder. Damage to pocket Rs.5 and working fine since 3 years.
sunikkat is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2022, 23:45   #5254
BHPian

Quote:
Look forward to getting a practical & more pocket friendly solution to this. Thanks
Mine also broke at about 3 and half years into ownership. I ordered it through Vagtunes, Kochi. If I remember correctly, it costed me around 10k. I got the whole assembly not just scrollers. I received it via courier and got it replaced at local garage for Rs. 500. I hope this lead will help you.
rutvij is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th October 2022, 19:48   #5255
BHPian

So it happened, the famous DSG throwing tantrum.

I remember I was coming down from the flyover, car MID flashed, "Depress the brake pedal", after that it refused to move forward; MID was showing a "D" gear position (no D1, D2 etc.) but the car was not picking up speed. As the car was already crawling, I parked it safely on the side of the road & restarted the vehicle; the error was gone, and the car was back to normal. This continued for a month, but a restart would solve the problem.

Last month, I took my car to Skoda ASC at Worli, and they kept it with them for two days before giving me an estimate of approx. INR 4 Lakh, no Skoda goodwill warranty and a lead time of a minimum of 20 days.

I decided to show it to one of a known guy's workshops in Pune; he diagnosed it to be an issue with the "Gearbox Hydraulic Accumulator" within the mechatronics and ordered the necessary DSG repair kit, which arrived after a week time. The process took 16 days, and the cost incurred by me is less than 15% of what Skoda quoted. Moreover, the car has been running well for the past week, and I have already done close to 500 KMs post repair.

When I faced the DSG issue, Car ODO was 63000 KM, my Octavia is five years old.

Last edited by shahbaz63 : 24th October 2022 at 19:53.
shahbaz63 is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 26th October 2022, 10:55   #5256
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I need some help with the pricing of an Octavia. There is a 2015, Diesel automatic, Elegance variant for sale near me. It has 40,000Kms on the odometer and is in very good shape.

What would be a fare price for this cars?

Also, are there any major issues with the DSG box in this car and how much does it cost to fix?

Thanks,
Abhishek
Abhishek3001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2022, 19:52   #5257

Hi Rohan, could you tell me the name of the FNG and its location where you got the suspension work done and rate your experience with them as my friend too requires some works to be done on his Octavia.
Old 28th October 2022, 21:41   #5258
BHPian

My Octavia just ticked over 50k kilometers. Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-7e0d262bf8f64b70ac5ca5a0a2f590f3.jpeg

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-858cc97f635842eda2c8e1199d63a89f.jpeg

At 7 years old, she still brings a smile to my face every time I take her out. Celebrated with a trip to Lonavala.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhishek3001 View Post

Also, are there any major issues with the DSG box in this car and how much does it cost to fix?
A mint condition 40k kilometres car should fetch somewhere around 10L rupees in a good deal.

The DQ250 wet clutch gearbox is not very prone to failures but no DSG is bulletproof.

Do keep in mind the car is getting to an age where impromptu trips to the service centre are very possible. I own a 2015 TSI, it’s an awesome car but lately it has started demanding a lot of love.
revsperminute is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th October 2022, 16:53   #5259
BHPian

Quote:
Hi everyone,
the right hand side multi functional roller on the steering wheel of my 2019 model 1.8 tsi has broken

I remember reading a few months back on a post from Dr. Vikas that it costs 4-5 k to replace it, so I was shocked to hear the price of 26K. Look forward to getting a practical & more pocket friendly solution to this. Thanks
Hi Timothy,
Sorry to hear about it & also for being late on this.
One thing is loud and clear that this problem is quite common in MK-3/ 3.5 Octavia.
And unfortunately the response from the Skoda ASSC is almost stereotype in most of the cases.

In my case, the dealership was ready to extend 50% relief on Spare charges (along with '0' labor charges) as goodwill warranty.

As a practical & also pocket friendly solution to fix this issue is to spend just ₹5 on purchasing a 'Fevikwick' instant adhesive & to apply it carefully.
I agree it's a bit risky way to go for, but still it may work 100%. Now, the choice is yours !
Dr.Vikas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th October 2022, 18:02   #5260
adv
BHPian

Hello Octavia MK 3/3.5 TDI owners,
What are the major service/replacement costs that are expected on a 5 year 55,000 km run car?
Just trying to get a sense of additional costs over the purchase price that I should anticipate in the near future for a pre-owned Octy TDI of that vintage. Thanks!
Old 29th October 2022, 19:07   #5261

What would be a fair price for 2018/2019 Octavias (1.8 TSI L&K) in NCR that have about 20k on the odo?

It would also help if someone could highlight the major issues to check with these Octavia before buying and possible cost for DSG failures.
Old 29th October 2022, 19:17   #5262
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adv View Post
What are the major service/replacement costs that are expected on a 5 year 55,000 km run car?
Just trying to get a sense of additional costs over the purchase price that I should anticipate in the near future for a pre-owned Octy TDI of that vintage. Thanks!
You need to mention whether manual or DSG. If manual, then nothing major at 55k, but check the quality of clutch if it has not been replaced yet.
I wouldn’t expect much for DSG too, other than the regular checks.
sunikkat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2022, 22:03   #5263
adv
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
You need to mention whether manual or DSG.
Ah yes, I meant the 2.0 TDI DSG Automatic. Thanks!
Old 31st October 2022, 12:19   #5264
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhishek3001 View Post
Hi Guys,

I need some help with the pricing of an Octavia. There is a 2015, Diesel automatic, Elegance variant for sale near me. It has 40,000Kms on the odometer and is in very good shape.

Thanks,
Abhishek
I would say 8-9 Lakhs. DQ250 found on diesel variants is believed to be much more reliable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adv View Post
DSG oil replacement, Water pump, tensioner, timing belt replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahbaz63 View Post
So it happened, the famous DSG throwing tantrum.

I decided to show it to one of a known guy's workshops in Pune; he diagnosed it to be an issue with the "Gearbox Hydraulic Accumulator" within the mechatronics and ordered the necessary DSG repair kit, which arrived after a week time. The process took 16 days, and the cost incurred by me is less than 15% of what Skoda quoted. Moreover, the car has been running well for the past week, and I have already done close to 500 KMs post repair.

When I faced the DSG issue, Car ODO was 63000 KM, my Octavia is five years old.
May I know if your car is petrol or diesel? I would appreciate if you could share details of the garage. Might be helpful in the future. Thanks.
vaibhavyagnik is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st October 2022, 16:54   #5265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaibhavyagnik View Post
May I know if your car is petrol or diesel? I would appreciate if you could share details of the garage. Might be helpful in the future. Thanks.

It's the petrol TSI 1.8, but the bad news is the cluster is showing the new error. "Error: gearbox. You can drive on"

The Mechanix Automotive is the place in Pune, visiting them again on Wednesday.
shahbaz63 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed