Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2022, 17:05   #5311
Senior - BHPian

Re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

The car seems to be maintained really well. Btw, are those Mercedes OEM wheels?
Any plans for remap? I have a 2016 MT with stage 1 remap, and it’s a different beast after that.
sunikkat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2023, 00:00   #5312
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
The car seems to be maintained really well. Btw, are those Mercedes OEM wheels?
Any plans for remap? I have a 2016 MT with stage 1 remap, and it’s a different beast after that.
Thank you! The car has been maintained well, apart from minor rattles inside and the seat leather lost it's firmness. Yes. those are Mercedes A-Class OEM wheels, got them for a good rate and i already had hub rings for them. Remap is on the mind, many have told me that it pulls like there's no tomorrow.
RevJ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2023, 19:23   #5313
BHPian

Exams through November, December and a holiday away from home meant that my car had done only 200kms over 2 months.

To say I was itching for a drive is an understatement. Checked my calendar and found out I had family events to attend on almost all weekend in January. So, much to my parents’ concern, I woke up, ditched college for a day, got some xp95 and headed out to Pune to visit a friend.

I forgot how much I love this car. Travelling on a weekday at noon meant that the roads were pretty much deserted. I got to charge down the straights and absolutely attack the ghat sections. (Proper spirited driving, didn’t bite off more than I could chew). The drive back was epic too with another corner carving session thrown in. Drives like these still make me fly the sedan flag while the whole world is moving towards SUVs.

The star performer of this drive were the Michelin PS4 tyres. Leech like grip and zero drama. They just inspire so much confidence when you’re pushing the car.

Every coin has two sides and this drive was no exception. I feel like I have personally exploited everything this car has to offer dynamically. I can drive this car to its absolute limits without scaring myself or being intimidated. Although I am still very much in love with my car and have no desire to part ways with it, I would love to develop my driving skills further. Food for thought.

Signing off with a picture:
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-6efaf78d94c64f7994647dbb0f0ac845.jpeg

PS: I sometimes feel the on-board computer is lying to me. 16.3Km/L with an average speed of 74Km/Hr and a lead right foot!?
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-961851ae36b64728bfb0b27921f35a1f.jpeg
revsperminute is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 5th January 2023, 01:07   #5314
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Got the annual service done at a trusted FNG as car is out of warranty and I do not trust any of the ASSs.

Mobil1 Synthetic Engine Oil
Air Filter, Cabin Filter and Air Filter replaced.
Interior Vacuum and Exterior Foam Wash

Charges have been similar to what others have paid at Skoda ASS but everything was done in my presence.

The right DRL Led Module had gone kaput during monsoon. Not getting it. Need it purely from an aesthetic perspective. If anyone can help with a purchase link.

Brake Pedal issue was diagnosed with a brake booster leak. Can someone help me with the part number to be ordered?

Cheers,
Raj
Attachment 2395110
Can anyone help me with this part number for the brake booster please and for the drl module?

Meanwhile got the car detailed. Its clean but the gloss aint to my expectations. Its 7 years old though.

Cheers,
Raj
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-09d54ad104ca470585ed6f6471af29be.jpeg  

Desmosedici is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2023, 12:42   #5315
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevJ View Post
The Skoda has ran about 1,00,000KM when I bought it from my friend (oh you read the kilometer reading right!) a very high mileage vehicle, owned and maintained pristinely by my friend, with all the service records.
First of all, congrats on the new acquisition! Personally, I wouldn't touch a European car with that kind of clicks on the odo, but I suppose if you know the previous life of the car then it's alright.

Quote:
has now clocked 1,23,000 KM bought in late August 2022
A 2018 car that had touched 100000 km means it's been doing 25000 km on average every year. And now, after you acquired it in August you already put 23000 km on it ? It's great to know that these cars are being thoroughly used, the way it's meant to be.

From what I understand, this particular specimen has been rather reliable; do mention maintenance costs as time progresses.

Also, I find it fascinating that the Crysta in the background (which I understand is yours) and the Octavia that belonged to your friend have very similar registration numbers! It's like they always belonged to the same garage!
voldemort is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th January 2023, 13:42   #5316

Quote:
Originally Posted by voldemort View Post
First of all, congrats on the new acquisition! Personally, I wouldn't touch .....

A 2018 car that had touched 100000 km means it's been doing 25000 km on average every year. And now, after you acquired it in August you already put 23000 km on it ? It's great to know that these cars are being thoroughly used, the way it's meant to be.

From what I understand, this particular specimen has been rather reliable; do mention maintenance costs as time progresses.
As a matter of fact these cars can easily last almost 5 Lakh KM if properly maintained.
Safety and driving pleasure are the defining qualities of these cars so I don't think they are really suitable for the general public. These cars are best appreciated by driving enthusiasts.
Ya, I'm a VAG fanboy
YK85 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th January 2023, 16:09   #5317
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by voldemort View Post
First of all, congrats on the new acquisition! Personally, I wouldn't touch a European car with that kind of clicks on the odo, but I suppose if you know the previous life of the car then it's alright.

Also, I find it fascinating that the Crysta in the background (which I understand is yours) and the Octavia that belonged to your friend have very similar registration numbers! It's like they always belonged to the same garage!
Thank you! Touchwood let it be like, that. With my experience if a vehicle has been maintained bare minimum adhering to OEM service schedules (I am only taking the general public assuming everyone visits the service center and gets the repair/maintenance from there) , it should last it's original lifetime.

The car has the high mileage because my friend had regular drives from Trivandrum- Thrissur its about 250+ km one way. His job needed him to travel very often. And I put the kilometers in for business travels and city daily runs.

The maintenance costs are - till 1,00,000 KM company service, the Skoda app doesn't show a bill above 25,000 INR for services.

Parts replaced till now by pervious owner -

2 set of tyres - standard 16 inch ones
Timing chain and water pump. that's about it. In between few wheel speed sensors, (what are vag cars if they don't have ABS lights popping up time to time!)

Parts replaced by me-

1 set 17 inch tyres and alloys
New brake pads all around , front rotors need to be changed soon
Rear window winders both of them
Driver side window switch (whole set)
New clutch and flywheel-
All together - 60 -75,000INR

The similar number and maintenance record was the impulse to buy.

Last edited by RevJ : 5th January 2023 at 16:30. Reason: Additional line, grammar correction.
RevJ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2023, 17:42   #5318
BHPian

Hello BHPians,
Sad to be posting a problem as my first post in this forum, Our 2014 Octavia 2.0 TDI MT which has done 41,000 Kms has got its fuel flap/door stuck, a week before whenever the car was being unlocked there was a additional rattling noise near fuel cap. I couldn't figure out anything, today it just wouldn't open and I have very less fuel as well, waiting for the car to be towed to SVC.
Old 17th January 2023, 21:21   #5319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RahulRV View Post
Hello BHPians,
Sad to be posting a problem as my first post in this forum, Our 2014 Octavia 2.0 TDI MT which has done 41,000 Kms has got its fuel flap/door stuck, a week before whenever the car was being unlocked there was a additional rattling noise near fuel cap. I couldn't figure out anything, today it just wouldn't open and I have very less fuel as well, waiting for the car to be towed to SVC.
Sad to hear about your problem, that must be very frustrating. Try pressing the fuel flap door while locking and unlocking if you haven’t already. I faced this issue once when the car wasn’t filled up in over 2 months. Dirt accumulates in the mechanism and also in the drain for the fuel filler cavity. Do keep it clean.
Old 17th January 2023, 22:21   #5320
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revsperminute View Post
Sad to hear about your problem, that must be very frustrating. Try pressing the fuel flap door while locking and unlocking if you haven’t already. I faced this issue once when the car wasn’t filled up in over 2 months. Dirt accumulates in the mechanism and also in the drain for the fuel filler cavity. Do keep it clean.
I make sure after every wash the fuel cap area is wiped with a cloth and to keep the small drain hole clean.
Skoda technician concluded that the actuator has failed and the flap has to be opened using screwdriver by force. Hope they don’t damage body panel surrounding that area. Can’t belive that there is no emergency fuel flap release mechanism. Added to that, the part will take 10-12 days to reach.
Old 18th January 2023, 10:37   #5321
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Skoda technician concluded that the actuator has failed and the flap has to be opened using screwdriver by force. Hope they don’t damage body panel surrounding that area. Can’t belive that there is no emergency fuel flap release mechanism. Added to that, the part will take 10-12 days to reach.
Its a bit off! The actuator needs to be installed by accessing the backside of the fuel lid cavity through the car's boot. Why can't they just pull it out through the boot? They just need to rotate the whole think out! The screwdriver seems like a jugad!
SLK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2023, 12:09   #5322
BHPian

Quote:
Hello BHPians,
Happened with me last year in winters. Apparently, there is no emergency lever to open the fuel flap if it is stuck. I had to open it up with the smallest screwdriver possible, to fuel it up. However, if done carefully it does not cause any damage to the flap itself. I covered the tip of screwdriver with a handerkerchief to make sure there are no direct scratched on painted surface.

Ultimately, the actuator was changed by the ASC under warranty but this small issue can cause a lot of inconvenience.
ShivWason17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2023, 12:43   #5323
JSB

Folks.. needed some gyan from you.. I am looking to replace my car tyres (size 205/55R16 91V).. wanted to go with Michelin Primacy but looks like they have stopped India supplies since 2020.. so any suggestions on which brand/model to go for?

Dealers are suggesting these options:
Yokohama, Earth1
CEAT, SecuraDrive
Continental, UltraContact UC6
Goodyear, Assurance TripleMax
Bridgestone, Sturdo

Pls suggest. I am looking for comfortable ride with less noise.. thank you!
Old 21st January 2023, 15:43   #5324
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSB View Post

Pls suggest. I am looking for comfortable ride with less noise.. thank you!
I’ve got Pilot Sport 4 tyres on mine. They’re probably my favourite thing about the car. Leech like grip and pretty good ride quality. The tyres are fairly silent too. Do keep in mind they come with a sporty compound so wear out slightly quicker.
Old 21st January 2023, 17:27   #5325
JSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by revsperminute View Post
I’ve got Pilot Sport 4 tyres on mine. They’re probably my favourite thing about the car. Leech like grip and pretty good ride quality. The tyres are fairly silent too. Do keep in mind they come with a sporty compound so wear out slightly quicker.
Thanks, i would have loved to get those but they are not available in India anymore, so looking for the next best alternative. I am leaning towards Continental UltraContact UC6. Any views on that?

Mod Note : Please avoid typing with excessive dots.........like................this.

Thanks

Last edited by Sheel : 28th January 2023 at 15:57. Reason: Mod note attached.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks