Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2014, 14:50   #181
Team-BHP Support

re: VW Polo GT TDI ownership log: Kerala trip concludes, 1 year & 19750 km done!

Cleaned the engine bay after a long time! The engine cover was laden with a layer of greasy dust:

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-wp_20140609_19_03_01_pro.jpg

Covered the small fuse box adjacent to the battery and another exposed wiring connection using polythene bag cutouts and stuck some masking tape over it.

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-wp_20140609_19_04_42_pro.jpg

Used a 1:30 dilution of Sonus all-in-one cleaner (degreasing agent) and sprayed it generously on the engine bay:

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-wp_20140609_19_06_42_pro.jpg

After letting the spray settle on the plastics for a few minutes, I used a brush (medium-soft bristles) to clean the entire compartment. Some areas were unreachable and it was getting dark. Used a hose with a mild jet to clean the surfaces. With a MF towel, water was absorbed and some CarPro PERL (1:40 diluted) was sprayed for a matte finish on the engine cover, filter cover, air intake and front-grill top.

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_7993.jpg

(Image clicked in the morning though)

Installed a gas strut to lift the hood:

DIY thread in the assy. line. Should be up shortly.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 10th June 2014 at 14:52.
Gannu_1 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 10th June 2014, 15:50   #182
BHPian

re: VW Polo GT TDI ownership log: Kerala trip concludes, 1 year & 19750 km done!

Gannu my 25th post is dedicated to your POLO GT TDI & I appreciate your sheer enthusiasm for turning your car so unique by those lovely DIY's.

Believe it or not, by reading the official review of the car I started to like it but when I started reading your review I literally fell in love with the car, So much so that went to showroom just to feel the car in person & I have decided that my next car should be a POLO GT TDI.

Will be looking forward to your awesome DIY's. Happy Motoring.

Regards.
KING DYSP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2014, 17:32   #183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post

Cleaned the engine bay after a long time!

DIY thread in the assy. line. Should be up shortly.
Seriously bro ?? Long time ?? I think your car itself was not bought a 'Long Time' back Gannu !!

Like Karthik is with Punto 90 HP, you probably are the Reference & Guide on TBHP for the GT TDI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KING DYSP View Post

I literally fell in love with the car, So much so that went to showroom just to feel the car in person & I have decided that my next car should be a POLO GT TDI.
Believe me KING DYSP, Gannu along with other GT TDI Owners like Raj & Kedar were so courteous and helpful in answering my questions that I have decided to tread their path.

Yep, Have booked my GT TDI in FLASH RED !!

Oh and by the way, I have been informed that GT TDI with 1.6 Ltr has been discontinued for now and probably there are a few Black colors left in the stock (Bangalore). The SE informed me that GT is not gonna be around for 2 months atleast.

I guess this means, the next GT will be the Facelifted 1.5ltr TDI.

Last edited by Vik0728 : 10th June 2014 at 17:34.
Vik0728 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th June 2014, 18:12   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post

Like Karthik is with Punto 90 HP, Gannu is probably the Reference & Guide on TBHP for the GT TDI.
Absolutely true buddy.

Quote:
Have booked my GT TDI in FLASH RED !!
Congrats mate for booking Impeccable POLO GT TDI.

In one of the thread, GTO has mentioned GT as a special hatchback & I totally agree with him. You have made an awesome choice buddy.

Happy Motoring in your New GT TDI.

Even my favourite colour is FLASH RED.

Last edited by KING DYSP : 10th June 2014 at 18:21.
KING DYSP is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th June 2014, 19:47   #185
BHPian

I have also booked a GT TDi. But what has stopped me from taking delivery of the car is the facelift version.

The fact that the 1.5 Ltr engine will come with the same torque and bhp levels, I thought it would be wise to take a little longer.

But our fellow BHPian in the above thread ( sorry Sir, was in a hurry to post this , so could not get your name mentioned here ) says the SE has informed that GT TDi facelifted will not roll for another 2 months ?

Did the SE confirm this to you ?

The another major reason to wait and see if GT TDi will be mated with 7 speed DSG Box. If yes, then i believe that cost of the AT version will be same as the ones we are buying now, since there will be excise benefits of atleast 16%. Now, we have to see if VW will be kind enough to pass on this benefit to the customer by way of offering the 1.5 GT TDi AT with 7 speed DSG at the same current price of 1.6 GT TDi of around 8 lacs something ?

Probable customers and friends who have booked an GT TDi can help in decision making please ?
Old 11th June 2014, 21:47   #186
BHPian

Gannu,
I have been reading your posts for a long time now with lot of enthusiasm. I share the same excitement in your experiences. guess , enthusiasts irrespective of who owns and who is doing it is always delighted when someone does a good job to their cars. Guess , this is a good and real trait of a genuine BHPian.

Again , congratulations for a steady DIY projects on your lovely car. And all the best for future successes.

I will also very soon own own an GT TDi and will bother many times to borrow a leaf or two from your DIY projects.
Padcot Prakash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2014, 11:57   #187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padcot Prakash View Post

But our fellow BHPian in the above thread ( sorry Sir, was in a hurry to post this , so could not get your name mentioned here ) says the SE has informed that GT TDi facelifted will not roll for another 2 months ?

Did the SE confirm this to you ?
Hey Prakash, First off congratulations for going the GT Way.

I know I am not yet inducted into the Polo club, but it feels good to say "Welcome to the Club" !!

I only shared the information that the VW Sales Executive (SE) provided me. I always wanted White since it has become my fav color in Bangalore (Black is still my kinda Color) due to the dusty and dirty road conditions. I pestered the SE for one but he informed me that he would get some kind of update on the next lot by the 2nd week of June.

However he was informed by VW Pune office that GT TDI (1.6 Ltr) has been discontinued for now and the only ones available are from the existing stock. There were only couple of Red & about 4 Black ones, atleast in Bangalore. So I chose Red !!

Also, the SE told me that the next GT should take atleast 2 months if not more, since prirority will be given to the normal Polo with 1.5 Ltr TDI (90 PS) and 1.2 Ltr Petrol Facelifts, which may be launched in July.

P.S
- Gannu really sorry to Hijack your thread, I have no clue where the conversation is headed. Please provide more inputs and updates about your GT TDI.

Last edited by Vik0728 : 12th June 2014 at 12:03.
Vik0728 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2014, 09:27   #188
Team-BHP Support

Last Sunday left me very upset and depressed. My fiancée had to take an online test at a college located at the outskirts of the city (which happens to be a very crowded area) and I decided to drop her by car. A big mistake! Since I wasn’t familiar with this locality I decided to tag a friend along who knows this place well. We dropped her in the morning around 7 AM and this trip went smoothly albeit some junctions were crowded and people were randomly crossing with their bikes without proper signals or following the rules. But when we went to pick her after the test was completed, I had parked the car outside the college road which is a very wide road and there were a few vehicles parked along the side of the road - a Qualis, a Zen and a few bikes. I was a bit apprehensive parking the car here but we parked and went inside the college and decided to wait until the test was over. In the meantime, I came outside to check on the car if everything was alright. Everything was fine. But when we were leaving once her test was done, my friend yelled “Oh crap! Dude look at this!”. I noticed a huge scratch on the rear left door! Someone had done it on purpose and I almost cried looking at the scratch. I felt very upset. It was done on purpose because the road was very wide and there was no way someone had to come this close to the car; not even a cycle, scooter or a bike. There was enough space for two cars to pass by leaving plenty of gap on either side. It was as if someone scratched it with a sharp object like a key. I thought for myself why do such people exist? Do they derive some pleasure by doing this to someone else’s car? My friend and fiancée consoled me and we left the place.

I felt so depressed I couldn’t even click a snap on my phone! This was how the scratch looked like:

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-wp_20140623_18_53_32_pro.png

The scratch occupied the entire width of the door but luckily did not extend to the front door nor the rear quarter panel.

We do not have a 3M Car Care outlet here at Surat nor do I have a rubbing compound/scratch remover with me. I wasn’t too adept at waxing/polishing work so I decided to leave it to the experts. Called up the manager at Carz Spa (they were closed for Sunday) and the lady asked me to bring the car to the outlet at 9:30 AM the next day i.e. Monday. Took a half-day off from work, informed my boss and drove the car to the outlet the next day. She had a good look at the scratch, felt the scratch with her finger nail and judged that most of it can be removed except for one area where the scratch appeared to be deep. She insisted on getting the ‘Teflon coating’ done for the whole car for Rs. 1900 including the interior cleaning and vacuuming - I knew she was referring to the compounding, waxing, polishing + sealant part. I gave them a go ahead and went to collect the car in the evening, keeping my fingers crossed.

To my surprise, they did a fantastic job! Most of the scratch was gone as the lady had assured except for one area where it appeared to be deep. But that’s still okay. This part can be touched up later from an FNG who deals with paint touch ups and dent removals.

This was the end result:

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-wp_20140623_18_53_32_pro.jpg

Lesson learnt the hard way - do not take the car to crowded areas and park at open spaces. Uncivilised morons who do such things will repent one day!

In other news, I’ve ordered a pair of Euro-spec tail lights from eBay Germany but the consignment is stuck at Ahmedabad Foreign Post Office for customs evaluation. I wonder how much I will have to shell out from my wallet for customs duties.
Gannu_1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th June 2014, 10:28   #189
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...Lesson learnt the hard way - do not take the car to crowded areas and park at open spaces. Uncivilised morons who do such things will repent one day!...
Such morons exist every where. Don't let that thought make you stop taking the car where you want to. I have seen it on my car (NOT this bad though) and other cars too. There are such losers in all cities. Happened to my friend's 2 months old Sunny as well. I am extremely happy the way the polishing results have turned out for you. It's hardly noticeable.

As I always suggest, leave a speck or a spot to ward off the evil eyes. Enjoy the ride.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2014, 19:29   #190
BHPian

Quote:
L
Lesson learnt the hard way - do not take the car to crowded areas and park at open spaces. Uncivilised morons who do such things will repent one day!

In other news, I’ve ordered a pair of Euro-spec tail lights from eBay Germany but the consignment is stuck at Ahmedabad Foreign Post Office for customs evaluation. I wonder how much I will have to shell out from my wallet for customs duties.
Well that's the situation of the country where we live. I hope things will change someday. Its such a heartbreaking sight!! Luckily for you the damage was not deep.

In between on the other news, just verify if the tail light is for RHD or LHD Polo. If its a LHD everything is same except for the reverse light and the rear fog light. They are placed on the opposite side , you can ask the service center to extend the wires and then connect it according to the tail light.

Normally the customs charge 10% of the value of the shipment.
rejoycjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2014, 19:45   #191
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Lucky that it wasn't a major one to bother about. The output after the treatment has come out clean.

This is precisely the problem I too have many times when I park the car in unknown locations where apprehensions run higher than normal. A clean looking car, shining after that wash and waxing invites a lot of mischief mongers who can strike anytime with just a stone or a key and cause havoc.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2014, 20:30   #192
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I am extremely happy the way the polishing results have turned out for you. It's hardly noticeable.
Trust me, these guys couldn't have done a better job. I was a bit apprehensive if they could do a good job but this went beyond my expectations truth be told! I was very happy when I saw the end results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
As I always suggest, leave a speck or a spot to ward off the evil eyes. Enjoy the ride.
Haha I had noticed this suggestion of yours in someone else's thread as well. And guess what! My mum also suggested the same! I'll leave that spot untouched for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rejoycjohn View Post
In between on the other news, just verify if the tail light is for RHD or LHD Polo. If its a LHD everything is same except for the reverse light and the rear fog light. They are placed on the opposite side , you can ask the service center to extend the wires and then connect it according to the tail light.

Normally the customs charge 10% of the value of the shipment.
Rejoy, the tail lamps are for the LHD Polo I suppose since they are being shipped from Germany. I knew about the reverse/fog lamps (both are operated by a single bulb) being swapped compared to the Indian-spec Polo tail lamps thanks to Robi. We had a detailed conversation over PMs sometime ago and he had suggested that a wire had to be run from the RHS to the LHS. But hopefully this isn't a major task and I may be able to do this myself.

The VW Workshop Manual also suggests the same: Link. 7 - Rear left fog lamp bulb, left reversing light bulb -M16- or right reversing light bulb.

The service center won't do jack! I am not even referring to them for anything. But good news is I was able to trace the shipment to the Ahmedabad Foreign Post Office today morning and a person was kind enough to tell me over the phone that the shipment would be sent to the customs department for evaluation and it would be sent to the local PO here for dispatch and delivery.

I just thought of checking the status online, when lo, and behold:
VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-status.jpg

Good news! I guess I'll get it by this weekend. Fiancee's gone to Udaipur for her thesis completion so I am free this weekend. Yay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Lucky that it wasn't a major one to bother about. The output after the treatment has come out clean.

This is precisely the problem I too have many times when I park the car in unknown locations where apprehensions run higher than normal. A clean looking car, shining after that wash and waxing invites a lot of mischief mongers who can strike anytime with just a stone or a key and cause havoc.
Don't know what to say Parag bhai. I was terribly disheartened that Sunday. With such people around, we need to think twice before taking out our cars. That lady at the Carz Spa outlet said, "You keep your car clean and shining at all times. It attracts a lot of attention from such people thus."
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2014, 17:04   #193
Team-BHP Support

The Euro-spec tail lights are here! Straight from eBay Germany Made in Czech Republic by Visteon.

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_8352.jpg

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_8358.jpg

So much of packing material inside the box! Can salvage them for later use.

VW Polo GT TDI ownership log EDIT: 9 years and 178,000 km later...-img_8362.jpg

Icing on the cake - zero customs duties paid! India Post is highly unpredictable. This shipment weighed well over 3 kg and they charged nothing. The OEM armrest from China weighed less than 2 kg and they charged me over 3k as customs duties! Wonder how this works.

I guess my weekend is set!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 26th June 2014 at 17:07.
Gannu_1 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th June 2014, 17:18   #194
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I guess my weekend is set!
and now will wait for another brilliant DIY to be executed. Good luck mate.

Do these tail lamps require different type of bulbs/LEDs? If not, changing this from the OE lamps along with switching the bulbs should be fairly easy isn't it?

So why wait for the weekend? Do that today evening.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2014, 17:22   #195
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
and now will wait for another brilliant DIY to be executed. Good luck mate.

Do these tail lamps require different type of bulbs/LEDs? If not, changing this from the OE lamps along with switching the bulbs should be fairly easy isn't it?

So why wait for the weekend? Do that today evening.
Thank you Parag bhai.

The Euro-spec tail lamps (bulbs, not LEDs) have a different wiring scheme for the reverse/fog lights. In the Indian-spec Polo, the RHS lamp has the reverse/fog light and on the Euro-spec one, on the LHS. So we have to run a wire from the RHS to the LHS and conceal it behind the plastic cladding on the boot. Takes a couple of hours at least since it isn't a direct swap. Will save it for the weekend.

I am also waiting for the heat shrink tubing to arrive. Need to seal the exposed cable joints properly.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 26th June 2014 at 17:24.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed