Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2013, 22:36   #1

Hyundai Grand i10 Asta Petrol - The White Rabbit

Hello All,

First of all, thank you for granting me membership access to this wonderful forum. I appreciate the review mechanism in place, before new members are granted posting privileges. The review I read first of the Grand i10 was the one on this forum, and subsequently that heavily influenced my decision to get this beauty.

Alternatives Considered:
I had my mind only on Petrol engines, as this was going to be a city car which my dad can use easily and which is smooth and silent like his favorite car - the white Maruti Zen which is no longer alive.
  • Maruti Swift - Already having a Swift Dezire in the stable, I personally did not want to get another Maruti, even though Dad was heaping praises on his Maruti Dealership of 10 years in Guindy, Chennai
  • Honda Brio - Sister beat me to it last month, and quite honestly that thing looked great, but its boot space and the terrible experience she had replacing the bumper (the parts took a month to arrive) made me choose otherwise
  • Ford Figo - My friend was getting it at the same time. I loved the look and feel of the vehicle, and its features, but too late. I had fallen for the Grand i10 already
Complete booking & delivery experience from the dealership
V3 Hyundai @ Thiruvanmiyur, Chennai - Hassle free experience. Although they are yet to provide the mud flaps which has not yet arrived. No accessories as well. I voluntarily asked them about teflon coating and undercarriage paint, but the SA Chockalingam informed me that all that is not necessary and that good maintenance is enough. They never once pushed me to add anything to the package, even though I would have said yes to pretty much anything, as I was getting it for my dad and wanted it to have everything possible. No discounts at all were provided, and the reason given was that it was a brand new model. The on road price came to about Rs. 6,48,650. I received the car within 10 days, fully registered. However, I wish they had waited until the mud flaps arrived before delivering. That, and a promised leather steering wheel cover are yet to arrive. They had a small ceremony to hand over the keys, and were given 5 litres of petrol complementary. The Asta model had everything included, so I will not be going on in detail about features and such. For those who want more, head over to the following link.

Hyundai Grand I10 Official Review - Team BHP

Here are a couple of pics - Will add more later
Hyundai Grand i10 Asta Petrol - The White Rabbit-car-1.jpg
Hyundai Grand i10 Asta Petrol - The White Rabbit-car_side.jpg
Hyundai Grand i10 Asta Petrol - The White Rabbit-1385079_444965325621382_1917188010_n.jpg

Usage:
So far it has been 2 weeks, and I have driven close to 500km and at times, it is hard to control my enthusiasm to rev the engine a bit more. I hope I don't break the car before it is broken in. Daily travel of around 30 to 40 kms in city traffic, with the AC on at speed 1 always. So far, the mileage is around 13 t0 14 kmpl roughly. I expect this to improve a bit to around 15 or 16 kmpl after the first service.

The Good:
  • Design:
    • The exterior and interior layouts and finish is a work of art. It just stands out no matter from whichever angle you are looking at it.
    • It really is the best looking car in the segment, and there are so many minute design changes compared to the i-10 that I am appreciating on a daily basis.
    • The front of the car gives a rather fierce look, albeit that of a fierce puppy, and I love it.
    • The first comments I am getting whenever I stop in traffic, or at the petrol bunk are really "Nice looking car!". One person even asked me if I modified the I-20 front part myself, and I happily explained to him that it was a new car and not an I-20.
    • The front black portion saved my new car from a bumper change, when I bumped into a van in peak hour traffic. The same kind of accident caused my sister's Brio to go for a complete rehaul!!! The second I banged the van, I rushed out and there is not a single scratch mark anywhere. Even the black guard had no visible change. The van's rear bumper got pushed in though, and we had to pull it out with tools and hammer. The same applies to the wonderfully placed side guards as well, I hope!
  • Utilities:
    • The setup of everything like radio, bluetooth, rear AC vent etc. is simply stellar. It attracts all ages in this aspect, and it is a really good fit for the Indian demographic scenario.
    • I am yet to use the internal 1 GB memory, but it really is a piece of cake to set up and use.
    • The ORVM is a brilliant piece of work, and it turns in a kinda weird angle, which makes it stand out when you squeeze through traffic. I use that feature a lot daily, and it is really noticeable when that pesky bike guy who tries to squeeze through notices the mirror closing, and he salutes you with a grin.
    • Leg space, adjustable steering, adjustable driver seat height are all best in segment. It is also really comfortable for 4 passengers even for long journeys. The front and back leg room was the first thing which I noticed when I went to the showroom, and all my friends are amazed by how huge the car is on the inside. I am 6 feet, and even with the driver seat completely pushed back, there is still decent space for the person sitting behind the driver. Take that, Polo!
    • Boot space is decent, and the seats are foldable to help you put in huge suitcases when needed. 60:40 folding is lacking, but it is by no means a deal breaker for me.
  • Ride stability - A really good contender for the market leader - Swift. It beats the i10 and i20 versions on their head. Zip in and zip out of literally any nook and corner of the city.
  • Sound insulation is good, but I hear the diesel version has greater insulation. So far, I have done the 3 point paint protection from Privilege Carz Spa, after reading reviews on TeamBHP. I may add the 5 year underbody paint for more insulation.
  • Speaking of underbody, the ground clearance looks improved, and I have not had any bumps so far even with 4 people in it.
  • Power steering is not excellent, but it does the job, with slight feedback. I guess Hyundai still has not gotten this right.
  • Braking - Really aggressive braking, and the car drops from 100 to 20 so fast, without any lurching or throwing you in the front. I would rate it as top of the segment, although I think most cars are good in this aspect. Coming from the Maruti family, which either picks one extreme or the other with brakes, this was a pleasant change of pace.
  • Engine: 1.2L Kappa is still good. I am able to do 100kmph without any effort, or loss of stability in the car. The good aerodynamics is actually felt when the car is being pushed beyond 100. I will let you know how it works out after the first service is completed, as I am scared to hurt the rabbit before then.
  • Smart key: I have not used they key outside my pocket till date. The button on the door handle does a superb job. Also, if you accidentally leave the key inside and try to lock the car with the button on the door handle, it will not let you do it!And when the mirrors move to position when the car is locked or unlocked, gives you that premium car feel. In fact, overall I would say it is a premium car under the guise of a small hatchback.
  • RVM - The rear view mirror is wide enough that it gives wholesome picture, thus negating any blind spot to the barest minimum possible.
The Bad:
  • Power - It is okay for city driving, but the raw power feeling is missing. Even if you floor it, all you will experience is the feelng of a rabbit scurrying, and not that of a white horse galloping. It is already tempting to me to attempt an ECU remapping. Don't get me wrong - it does what it is advertised to do, effortlessly. But with the highly improved stability and handling, it surely looks like it can handle a 1.6L engine with 110+ NM easily. Please someone tell me that the first service will cure this to some extent! (just to make me feel better)
  • Speakers - They got the front speakers right, but the rear ones are feeble. Sometimes, when you switch from one channel to another on the radio, the rear speakers go off, and come back again. The sound quality is good, but the speakers are average. Even if it could be an isolated case of bad wiring, the stock speakers are just okay. Having the complete package of AUX/USB/Bluetooth, I wish they had put in some more into the rear speakers. Although for speeds less than 80kph, they are more than sufficient. I am an audiophile myself, and maybe that is why this bothers me so much. You may actually find the speakers to be really good.
  • Air Conditioning - Here is my biggest gripe. The amount of noise it makes when you go from speed 1 to speed 2. Forget driving it on speed 3. I have been driving a 2009 model Dezire for a good 2 months now, and you can barely hear the sound of the AC running even when it is at speed 3. On the Grand i10 though, the AC sound is too much, and hence I run it only on the lowest level. At that level, the AC is just okay for short rides in the afternoon sun. I don't find myself using the glove box cooler at all. The rear vent too is a rare weekly once usage scenario. I wish they can do something to get it better, or I may have to invest on some new ones.
  • Horn - Absolutely sucks. And lack of dual tone....I mean, c'mon!!!
  • Insulation - It is above average. But I do hear outside sounds in a weird hollow effect, like how you would if you close your ears with your hand. When you push the cars to its limits, the hum is really audible. In general city traffic, you do not even notice if the car is on or not though. I would rate the insulation 3/5, but most people might rate it higher.
  • Seat Fabric and dashboard color - I would have liked some options to consider. I really wanted a black dashboard. The quality of the seats and interiors is awesome, but you cannot choose anything. That might be frustrating to some. Also, no seat covers or steering covers (I badly would love a steering cover) yet from Hyundai, and the complete set of accessories is supposed to be received by mid November. I am not a fan of the seat cover design, and would love to hide it soon. But then again, my family thinks I am nitpicking too much.
  • Deadpedal lacking - but I do not care for it anyways
  • 5th wheel is not alloy - This is actually good, in my opinion, but still listing it down as a bad, for people to judge themselves.
Overall: 4/5 but can be better!
Well, like the title says, it is a white rabbit which if progressed rightly, will be sitting on the Swift's throne for the next couple of years. Although it has the potential to be a white tiger, if only Hyundai gives it a 1.4L engine. I would highly recommend it to anyone who is going to buy their first car, or if you are looking for a small family car for crowded city traffic. The push button start and stop makes life so much easier, even for beginners who tend to find the ignition turned off while maneouvering traffic jams. Although, one word of advice - get your accessories delivered before picking up the vehicle. I did not get my mud guards until 2 days back, and it is no fun driving a white car with no mud flaps during monsoon season. The first service is at 1500km and the next at 10,000 and the 3rd at 30,000.

I absolutely adore the vehicle, although it may not seem so in this review. But I kid you not, I did TDs of Brio, I-20, I-10, Figo, Swift, and Sail - and the only car which I loved at the first touch was this one. To be more brutal, I will not touch the Brio or and I-10 with a stick. The only car which I see as a competition to this one is the VW Polo, and it is a good 3L above this segment.

So there you have it folks! I think it is the first ownership review of the Grand i10 on Team BHP, and this is my first post here as well! Feel free to shoot any questions you might have. Also, any suggestions on improving my ride and my post, will be highly appreciated.

Last edited by mechramc : 21st October 2013 at 17:53. Reason: updated
mechramc is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2013, 15:46   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Hyundai Grand i10 Asta Petrol - The White Rabbit

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Initial Ownership Section. Thanks for sharing!
Old 22nd October 2013, 16:08   #3
BHPian

Let me be the first to say congrats! It's a great looking car, and gives the igen i20 a run for it's money.
Old 22nd October 2013, 16:16   #4
BHPian

Congratulations on your new car! Are those alloy-wheels the so-called "diamond-cut" ones? If yes, how much did you have to pay for them?
Old 22nd October 2013, 16:47   #5
Senior - BHPian

You are getting a 13-14kmpl with a/c on that petrol? Hyundai is never known for being fuel efficient so i wonder whats making this car come so close to what diesels return in the city.
Old 22nd October 2013, 17:12   #6
BHPian

Congrats on the first Grand i10 in Team-BHP and that too in the highest variant. Please comment on the effectiveness of AC for rear passengers. Is there any performance drop with AC on?
It seems that you are just wanting for a bit more low end torque to have sharp throttle response. The low end torque of kappa 2 is far better that the K10 engine but is not as sharp as the good ol' santro or even the F10 WagonR. All 1-1.2L petrols now-a-days have a bit blunt throttle response compared to the previous MPFI engines. But soon you will adapt to that driving style and downshift a bit more often to get quicker acceleration.
100kmph is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2013, 22:40   #7
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations mate - you sure are loving it

Thanks for the detailed review - helps us who are considering it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechramc View Post
The first service is at 1500km and the next at 10,000 and the 3rd at 30,000.
Is that right? 20K between the 2nd and the 3rd service? How come?

I am used to servicing my cars every 6 months, and sometimes i barely drive 2-3K kms between them!!
Equus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2013, 23:10   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalluDude View Post
Congratulations on your new car! Are those alloy-wheels the so-called "diamond-cut" ones? If yes, how much did you have to pay for them?
Thank you! Yes these are the diamond-cut ones, and I am not sure how much I paid extra. I can check that with the dealer and let you know soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
You are getting a 13-14kmpl with a/c on that petrol? Hyundai is never known for being fuel efficient so i wonder whats making this car come so close to what diesels return in the city.
ARAI predictions were 18.9Kmpl...although it could be because of the push button start/stop, which I use a lot in city traffic. I don't idle the car for more than 30 secs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100kmph View Post
Congrats on the first Grand i10 in Team-BHP and that too in the highest variant. Please comment on the effectiveness of AC for rear passengers. Is there any performance drop with AC on?
It seems that you are just wanting for a bit more low end torque to have sharp throttle response. The low end torque of kappa 2 is far better that the K10 engine but is not as sharp as the good ol' santro or even the F10 WagonR. All 1-1.2L petrols now-a-days have a bit blunt throttle response compared to the previous MPFI engines. But soon you will adapt to that driving style and downshift a bit more often to get quicker acceleration.
There is no noticeable performance drop with the AC on at all, except for the noise - With 4 people on, I did not have to push the AC beyond the first switch. However, this is Chennai and the real test will be in April/May. The rear AC is really good and it is slanted in such a way to cover the rear half of the car nicely, without feeling the cold air on the face or foot. One sad part is, with rear AC vents, they really should have had climate control, which is missing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus View Post
Congratulations mate - you sure are loving it

Thanks for the detailed review - helps us who are considering it!

I am used to servicing my cars every 6 months, and sometimes i barely drive 2-3K kms between them!!
Really? The first service is at 1200-1500km or 1 month whichever is earlier. The second service is at 10,000 km or six months, and the 3rd service is at 30k or 15 months. It is the first car I bought in India, so I have no clue if that is abnormal. Let me confirm that once again tomorrow for you. I could have misread those coupons.
mechramc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2013, 23:25   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus View Post

Well it probably has a clause that says this much mile or months (whichever is earlier) Though 20K difference is a lot since you would probably need to have a oil change
Old 23rd October 2013, 01:05   #10
BHPian

Congratulations on what is in my mind, a brilliant all round car. Having had a santro and an i10 in our family, atleast from my experience, the Hyundais were very very reliable, and the service though expensive, was thorough without any issues whatsoever.
The rear looks absolutely lovely. No hint of any Koreans

Wishing you many many miles with her.
Samar117 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2013, 18:21   #11

Thanks Samar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond_dawg View Post
Well it probably has a clause that says this much mile or months (whichever is earlier) Though 20K difference is a lot since you would probably need to have a oil change
Yeah, it was a mistake folks! Here is the actual free service schedule:

1st @ 1200-1500 or 1 month, whichever comes earlier
2nd @ 10,000 km or 1 year, whichever is earlier
3rd @ 20,000km or 2 years, whichever is earlier

The SA had written 30k in the receipt by mistake, and confirmed that it was 20k after I called him. Thanks for pointing that out guys!
mechramc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2013, 22:01   #12
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the new i10 grand and the first i10 grand on the forum. I have started seeing quite a few of these here in Pune, but most of them are grey or the orange ones. Enjoy your car, it's a good all rounder package. Any plans for ICE upgrade? speakers alone or head unit upgrade?
W.A.G.7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2013, 22:12   #13
BHPian

Hi Mechramc,

Congrats for your new possession. Probably this is the 1st ownership review of the Grand on team BHP. Wish you miles of enjoyable motoring with her. Please keep the thread updated for the benefit of all.

AC noise & not-so-good insulation, as pointed by you, are two major gripes. Lower noise levels inside the cabin does elevate the level of comfort & does provide a premium feel. How is Brio compared to Grand as per your TD experience more specifically in the above two departments. Is it only lesser boot space & non-avalability of spare for a month was the major laid offs for Brio?

Thanks
Chitta Pradhan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2013, 12:53   #14
Senior - BHPian

@Chitta

Brio interiors look-wise feel one segment lower than the Grand. The only saving grace is a simple yet sporty steering wheel.

The ride in the Grand is more complaint than on the Brio.

One place where the Brio scores great is the acceleration when floored (while on the move), it just zooms ahead. Its a better pocket rocket for sure.

Rest everthing the Grand scores better. Brio sales are very dismal even when compared to the older i10. Just check the Monly sales thread.

Cost cutting is very evident on the Brio. The Grand is very neatly packaged and screwed and everything in the car is premium looking.
dipen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2013, 15:44   #15

@Chitta - As Dipen said, the looks are decent, but the Grand i-10 is just so much better. Also, drive quality was slightly better, although the braking was just average. I am very edgy when it comes to good brakes, as my daily commute involves up and down one straight road for 10kms, but there are atleast 4 traffic junctions where it is bumper to bumper traffic, at off hours. Peak hours, it has once taken me more than 1.5 hours to cover that 10 kms.

With the Grand i-10, starting and stopping with the push-start (Asta variant) and the awesome brake works, peak hour traffic is such a pleasure. Brio just gave me a headache, as most vehicles do. I drove my sister's brand new Brio all around the city before I decided that there is no way I was going to get the Brio.
mechramc is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks