Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2013, 09:53   #31
Team-BHP Support

re: Review: 2013 Toyota Innova Facelift

Quote:
Originally Posted by autobalan View Post
few months back i read in ACI magazine about the new Innova and it said Toyota Engineers won't increase the power as they feel it will stress the engine, after 8 long yrs, Innova still produces some 101 bhp.Now cars with 2500cc engines, now produces 200+bhp, or say atleast 170 is the norm.Doesn't those engines from Merc , Bmw or Audi reliable? or why Toyota want to keep it as it is..i am confused here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Nothing to do with reliability. Consider the Fortuner: It makes 56.33 BHP / Liter (169 BHP from a 3.0L engine) and is just as reliable. The Innova's BHP / Liter output is merely 40.4.
Yup nothing to do with reliability because this very same 2.5 L engine is available in the Fortuner with a Variable nozzle turbo (VGT). The VNT version produces a much healthier 142 BHP and 343Nm torque.

This tune is only for the Fortuner right now but the Innova with intercooler and FGT produces 118 BHP which is not the case for India.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2013, 10:01   #32
Senior - BHPian

Looking at the pricing, it again makes me wonder, why isn't anyone else trying harder? Tata could have done themselves a world of good had the Aria been reliable. I am not asking Toyota levels of reliability but something which does not leave you stranded in the middle of the road. If that was the case, Aria with its much superior looks, equipment levels, interiors and 4 wheel drive hardware, would have been a much better option, especially considering that its priced on par but the Innova topend is bare bones in comparison.
extreme_torque is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2013, 10:04   #33
Senior - BHPian

Nice Review! I too feel the Toyota is simply adding cosmetic changes and hiking the prices. Though Toyota offers good after sales service, considering the prices of the vehicles, its as if they're charging the buyers for the product and "future" services/repairs in advance.

Considering the fact this vehicle is used as MPV, they should consider additional safety features such as traction control, ESP etc., along with curtain airbags. An automatic and a six-speed transmission is also highly due as many bhp-ians suggested.

Finally, the engine also requires a revamp. Its not fair that a 2.5 liter engine offers around 100BHP!
Old 22nd October 2013, 11:04   #34
Senior - BHPian

Toyota had a great opportunity to go all out pimping that ride. All it needs is those chrome spinner alloys!
Seriously, the amount of chrome on that vehicle is unfathomable. That grill has one word in my book- hideous . They have gone progressively bad with their designs in the newer generations. The Gen1 looks so much better now.

But, being the undisputed leader of the segment, they would continue selling in large numbers, thanks to the robust build, and stellar Toyota service.
Old 22nd October 2013, 11:57   #35
BHPian

That's a "facelift" turned ugly by a supposedly inexperienced Doctor. It was very decent to look at prior to this botched up exterior job. The same goes for the rear as well. It looks very Eastern-Asian in design and execution.
I'm sure it will bring praise in the Thai market where it is also sold but over here, it's a bit unconventional

At this price point, especially in the top end Z variant, they should have included rear seat entertainment in the form of DVD screens. It's obvious what the innova is used for i.e. holiday driving. Would be a nice gesture on part of the company!
Old 22nd October 2013, 12:01   #36
BHPian

Excellent review (5/5). Toyota's war-horse continues to remain strong.
The front grille looks a bit dis-proportionate.
Another thing, it is surprising that the the BS IV version has a lower ARAI rating than the BS III diesel!!!
Old 22nd October 2013, 12:24   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by charade View Post
Nice review, very comprehensive. But I am seriously surprised at the price. With the Innova priced like this, I thought buyers might seriously consider the Aria instead - newer vehicle, larger (a little too large maybe) and not too common either. I am not a big fan of the Aria's styling, but it doesn't look bad either.
Exactly what I thought! I waited for a year for Aria to be launched before plonking my money on Innova. Surely, Aria is a great car. If you have seen the interiors, and the exteriors, you will know why it doesn't compete with Innova. The third row is practically unusable in Aria, while even adults (normally 2, but even 3 have sat in my car) can use Innova's third row. The external dimensions of the Aria doesn't translate to space inside. Aria is just too bulky to handle compared to Innova. These are just from practicality perspective. And when it was launched, it was priced atrociously, and with the niggles and service experiences adding up, its taking its toll. Pretty sad for a great car.
Old 22nd October 2013, 12:49   #38
Senior - BHPian

Thought the Innova was recently face lifted and all of a sudden there is one more? Did not feel the need for it considering the neutral looks it had unlike the one which they have managed out. Did not like the new front or rear looks. Makes it look more chinese toy stuff with the amount of chrome add ons.

Would have been happy if they had changed the engine behavior slightly so that it can cruise steadily at 120s without sounding like it will break open.

Interesting point is when the toyota Etios can cruise @ 100 KMPH around 2100 RPM why does the Innova have to do it at 2700 RPM? Come on toyota you can make the product even more perfect by correcting this.
Old 22nd October 2013, 13:16   #39
BHPian

Nice review @Parrys (rated 5)

When Innova-1 was released way back, I developed an instant disliking towards its looks from day 1, then based on its performance and reviews from my friends, i started taking a liking towards it and I almost thought I would buy one after I saw the 2012 model with minor upgrade which looked sleeker with good front grill looks.
Baww!! But now I am back to square one after seeing the new model.

But one thing, nothing can beat its comfort on its long drives. Still good for hiring it for a cab rather than owning it.
Old 22nd October 2013, 18:32   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
The Tata Aria's top variant (with all-wheel-drive, 6 airbags, ESP + traction control, front & rear disc brakes, GPS navigation and more) is priced lower than the Innova ZX. And that's not counting the heavy discounts available on the Aria.
Aria was priced so high initially that it eventually became a dud. And once a dud in the Indian market, no matter what there is no recovery from it. So definitely no competition for Toyota. From anywhere!!

With the steady price increase, Innova is the only car in the Indian market where you can buy a second hand one use it for a year or two and then sell it for a profit

Last edited by Eddy : 22nd October 2013 at 22:59. Reason: Fixing the quoted post
microaubin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2013, 19:00   #41
BHPian

Great review of a no non-sense people mover.
Having experienced 3 Innovas in the extended family, I am stunned at the durability it offers(One of those 3 is 8 years old and has covered 1.9 lakh kms but the only way to know its age is to check the odo. )
BTW, I never knew that the Innova is a rear wheel drive UV till I read it here!!
Old 22nd October 2013, 20:51   #42
Senior - BHPian

the 2013 Aria by some remote reports seem to be more reliable than the previous Aria's. Tata seems to have fixed the major glitches by downgrading specs (DMF to SMF) in certain cases while improving specs in some other (slave cylinder for clutch revised after lot of initial cars broke down without any warning). Strongly urge 2013 Aria owners to post more reviews regarding their experience.

Considering Innova has become a runaway success, and is now milking it's goodwill by increasing prices at every available opportunity, (btw nothing surprising since same was done with Qualis and it's last iteration had similar heavy chrome grills so much so that it looked like a bling machine bread box on wheels), it is also high time customers discourage Toyota's pricing strategy by turning away from Innova wherever possible.

Surely the next generation Innova would be even more higher priced than this one, increasing base model by another 2 to 3 lakh. So that one would be in a quandry to settle for A-Class, 1-Series or some Innova. Also to be noted is that Innova was not a dedicated platform by Toyota, just one model amongst a series of models based on IMV platform. It's a credit to Toyota that they have done so well with this platform, but at the same time it is also sad that other manufacturers have not been able to match their effort in India even after such a long time.

Such an issue does not exist in western markets where there are multitude of MUV options.

Last edited by lurker : 22nd October 2013 at 20:54.
Old 22nd October 2013, 21:54   #43
BHPian

A very elaborate and useful review.

Quite often, I really wonders, Why Innova doesn't come with the electronically mounted ORVMs? It would have been very helpful.
Old 22nd October 2013, 22:45   #44
Senior - BHPian

Folks, probably going offtopic--
Is there a facelift for the xylo coming? Should be more than a facelift actually..
Old 23rd October 2013, 09:46   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
They have gone progressively bad with their designs in the newer generations. The Gen1 looks so much better now.
Actually, I like the type-3. I've seen a couple of them in white with black roof and they look as stylish as say some of the sedans do. Sure, it is not a handsome design overall, but considering the other UVs in the market - this (type-3) surely is easy on the eyes. No?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemedico View Post
At this price point, especially in the top end Z variant, they should have included rear seat entertainment in the form of DVD screens.
Yes, it will indeed be a good addition / accessory.
Provided it is not called another facelift and the price does not go up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbhavan View Post
Quite often, I really wonders, Why Innova doesn't come with the electronically mounted ORVMs? It would have been very helpful.
It does have electronic adjustment for ORVMs. Did you mean electronically folding?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane_Power View Post
@parrys- The Inorbit parking lot is quite empty during afternoons, ain't it?
I had decided that I will shoot here even before I picked up the car from Lakozy.
Good light, lots of free space, and a food court when hungry.
parrys is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed