Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2013, 09:51   #46
BHPian

re: Review: 2013 Toyota Innova Facelift

Saw the new one twice in Chandigarh since yesterday. Looks positively gaudy from behind, but then no one buys an Innova for the looks I guess.

Still it seems like Toyota is testing the limit to which it can strech wrt increasing the price and screwing with the looks at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by microaubin View Post
With the steady price increase, Innova is the only car in the Indian market where you can buy a second hand one use it for a year or two and then sell it for a profit
There are others too. Have heard of similar cases with Swift and Dzire Diesel. Fortuner is another one.

Last edited by avisidhu : 23rd October 2013 at 09:53.
Old 23rd October 2013, 10:57   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrys View Post

It does have electronic adjustment for ORVMs. Did you mean electronically folding?
Yes, I was mentioning about the electronic folding option. It is very annoying to do the thing manually, especially in city region.
Old 23rd October 2013, 12:46   #48
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Parrys for sharing the report. This is another one of those "All New" car model releases in India when in reality all that changes is minor cosmetics. In this case I am not even sure why it was done. The previous update was not too long ago and looked much better and balanced and is not too common on the roads either. Anyways this overpriced vehicle will continue to sell decent volumes because of the overall good interior package it offers in terms of space, seating and ride.
Old 23rd October 2013, 15:40   #49
BHPian

In your price comparison above, it looks like the Aria 4x4 versions are cheaper than the top end Innova, the latter of course, not offering a 4x4. In this comparison at least, the Aria feels more VFM

Last edited by Rehaan : 25th October 2013 at 20:18. Reason: Removing large quote
KrishD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2013, 16:12   #50
BHPian

The new Innova was exhibited in a mall in Bombay and I saw the on-road price for the top-end variant crossed 19 lakhs. I agree Toyota stands for quality but this is taking things too far in my opinion.

Why shouldn't one go for Yeti instead of this? Or a sedan like Octavia if an MUV or SUV is not important?

This still looks like a strategy to pander to the taxi segment.

By the way, it would interesting to see a comparison with Yeti on performance. Planning anything of that sort, Parry?
Old 23rd October 2013, 16:30   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelwriter View Post
Why shouldn't one go for Yeti instead of this? Or a sedan like Octavia if an MUV or SUV is not important?

By the way, it would interesting to see a comparison with Yeti on performance. Planning anything of that sort, Parry?
It seems very unlikely that one would cross shop an Innova with the Yeti.

The Aria perhaps yes, but not the Yeti. I cannot think of any major aspect where the two overlap, other than perhaps comfort and GC.
Old 23rd October 2013, 16:32   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelwriter View Post
The new Innova was exhibited in a mall in Bombay and I saw the on-road price for the top-end variant crossed 19 lakhs. I agree Toyota stands for quality but this is taking things too far in my opinion.

I don't think there'll be any cross shopping between the Innova and the Yeti. The two vehicles are like chalk and cheese. In case you want to know about performance, the numbers will tell you the story. 101 bhp Vs. 140 bhp and 200 nm Vs. 320 nm in favour of the Yeti.

Coming to the facelift, this in my opinion, is as ugly as it gets. Don't these guys get some kind of feedback before freezing the design? I know we give Toyota lot of flak for being conservative in their designs. But if this their idea of an aggressive design, I think they should go back to being conservative.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 23rd October 2013 at 16:43.
Santoshbhat is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2013, 22:34   #53
BHPian

Toyota has taken the term facelift a bit too literally! Did we really need that ugly front grille? Why fix something when it ain't broken?
Old 24th October 2013, 00:08   #54
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorePower View Post
Toyota has taken the term facelift a bit too literally! Did we really need that ugly front grille? Why fix something when it ain't broken?
Not really. Toyota hasn't understood the term facelift. When you go for a "facelift" you are expected to come out looking younger and beautiful.

Here it looks like the plastic surgeon was not qualified and botched up the front.

I really am unable to get over this bumper and grill. From the pic of all 4 iterations, the second one really looks the best.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2013, 01:16   #55
Senior - BHPian

I still prefer the tear drop design of the Innova. This is like a horrible mod job. If this wasn't an official news it had to be there in the weird and whacky mod jobs section. We know Toyota's have a bullet proof reliability but not worth the price. The Ertiga can be appropriately described as a VFM MUV!
Old 24th October 2013, 02:04   #56
BHPian

Excellent review as usual

Happened to see a couple of facelifted Innovas. The front chrome grill looks gaudy and loud. No matter what, commercially (cabbies) this vehicle will still be a success. Will be interesting to see how the other private buyers react to the new design and price.
Old 24th October 2013, 08:04   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrys View Post
Various Innova versions sold in India. From L-R: Type 1, 2, 3 and the current Facelift:
This photo perfectly sums it up. 8 long years and Toyota has managed to increase the cost and decrease the desirability with each iteration. I don't think the Innova got any worthy upgrade with each facelift apart from the addition of that intercooler in the 2nd one. And if I am not mistaken, it was to make the car BS4 compliant. And agree with Viddy, the 2nd one looks best from the lot.
Old 24th October 2013, 12:05   #58
Senior - BHPian

Just this once, I want Toyota to suffer and this car to have near 0 sales. The price is just milking the Indian Customer dry. Innova except reliability and space has nothing to harp about. No Peformance, No such great handling and definitely not good at NVH.

After paying 18 to 19 lakhs onroad, If my car cries after 110 and 120's, I should be shot rather than Toyota for buying it.

Guys, Keep Calm and Buy an Ertiga. You ll have enough spare money left to buy a top end Swift diesel too at the price of which you can only get a top of the line Innova
humyum is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th October 2013, 18:04   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autobalan View Post
Excellent review Parrys!
Now i have a question to be cleared, technical guys please respond if you can, few months back i read in ACI magazine about the new Innova and it said Toyota Engineers won't increase the power as they feel it will stress the engine, after 8 long yrs, Innova still produces some 101 bhp.Now cars with 2500cc engines, now produces 200+bhp, or say atleast 170 is the norm.Doesn't those engines from Merc , Bmw or Audi reliable? or why Toyota want to keep it as it is..i am confused here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Nothing to do with reliability. Consider the Fortuner: It makes 56.33 BHP / Liter (169 BHP from a 3.0L engine) and is just as reliable. The Innova's BHP / Liter output is merely 40.4.

And remember, for the same driving situation, you won't need to revv a high-powered engine as high as you would one with a lower power spec. Lesser rpm = lesser wear & tear.
I remember reading somewhere (can't remember the exact source, so apologies) that is not just for reliability per se, but long engine life+ reliability over obscenely big mileages that many Innovas chalk up. They know this is what has given the Innova a cult following and don't want to do anything to tamper with it by introducing engines with a high state of tune. The question is not whether it will "last the distance" but live up to the Innova brand of trouble-free performance over lakhs of Kms and many, many years.

Does engines in a high state of tune reduce their theoretical life? I don't know. But that was what that reference boiled down to.

I doubt premium vehicles like Mercs et al have to endure the torture of driving lakhs of Kms through the "lunar surface" roads, bad quality fuel ar highway pumps and the overall wear and tear that any Innova does. Disclaimer - I own a 2006 Innova (which I bought pre-owned, to boot) and can aver that that while it won't win any beauty contest, it does its job with no fuss and I am confident I will not have to replace it before its 15 year life tax period ends. If I was in the market, will I pay 19L to get peace of mind for 15 years? I may, I just may. It would be interesting to see Innova's sales charts for the next few months though.

Last edited by Contrapunto : 24th October 2013 at 18:10. Reason: typo
Old 24th October 2013, 22:23   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samm View Post
Exactly what I thought! I waited for a year for Aria to be launched before plonking my money on Innova.
I did the same by waiting 2010 through 2011 before settling on the Innova instead of Aria. No regrets though except the wait was costly...the prices shot up by a lakh ex showroom in Bangalore.

Echoing Parrys points I agree with the value for money concept being stretched, albeit keeping it attractive given the engineering. Secondly, I do think a 6th gear for those long drives would do a world of good in terms of comfort.

My wish for Innova facelift is those sleek Audi style roof rails in chrome. I am so tempted to get it done!
dhuli is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks