Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2006, 20:42   #16
BHPian

You can if you would like,however I can only recommend Bridgestone Potenza G3 as I use them on my lancer. However You can find a cheaper and better deal at any orignal bridgestone dealer who will buy your new tyres whichever come installed and trade off the tyres and Rims for a set of new Tyres and Alloys...!

Dealer will be uneccesarily expensive, although you can survey the market now and choose accordingly..!

Power Windows come only in two models XETA-GLG and XETA GLX, GLG has only front two power windows, the switch is in the center console right next to the Gear. In GLX the switch had 4 switches in the center console and two in the rear.

Last edited by wolfinstein : 27th June 2006 at 20:45.
Old 2nd July 2006, 19:21   #17

Hi Wolfinstein,

After some research, I too have zeroed in on a Indica Xeta CNG.

Can you tell me which dealer you got it from? I've called up three and they've all quoted different price for the CNG kit (from 40-48k)

I'm gettin a V2 Xeta GLE-BS III for on-road price 2.9 lakh.

How much discount should I expect from the dealer?

Plus, did you have any problems? Anything I should keep in mind, cause its gonna be my first car.

Thanks for the help.
Old 31st July 2006, 01:59   #18

Hi Wolfinstein,

You have still not posted your review on the CNG kit fitment in your xeta. In fact, I am yet to find any review on the performance of xeta after CNG fitment.
Old 2nd August 2006, 23:59   #19
BHPian

Hey sorry yaar,

I finally managed to have the CNG System installed two weeks back ( 300 KM ago)..still missing the ECU Unit-should come across this week or so...I will be clicking the pictures + speed ratings and write up on sunday...!
I can tell you, the car runs beautiful...however slugs on sudden pickup only with AC on..That will be taken care of by the ECU Unit..or if someone else opts for a Advanced Timer.., Once its above 50 KMPH she runs like a rocket..!

regards
Old 7th August 2006, 13:13   #20
BHPian

Hi Wolfinstein,
I myself am planning to go for a Xeta CNG. From which dealer did you get the car/kit?

Regards
Jasmeet Pal
Old 7th August 2006, 22:21   #21
BHPian

@ Jasmeet..Got the car from Vivek Motors..Paid Rs,48000 for the ECU CNG kit ( 12 Kg Cylinder, ECU,RTO Charges, Insurance IDV Cover)
Old 7th August 2006, 23:57   #23
BHPian

All right, finally after the long delay, I'm here to post the CNG review. Please bear the picture quality since the earlier ones were with my K750i and these are with my K 700i.

CNG Kit consists of CNG Cylinder / Reducer Electronic Controlled / Solenoid / MPFI Emulator / Analog Gauge and Digital Converter LED Switch / ECU / Copper Fuel Lines / Rubber Washers, Housings, Pipes etc Heat and Flame Proof.

Initial Installation of the system took 4 Hours Aprox, almost a full working day...Not that the system takes much time, Its that the Cylinder Stand needs to be fabricated to fit properly into the rear, The carpeting is then removed and half a inch hole is drilled into the LHS rear side to allow fuel lines. These are neatly housed and sealed with a rubber pipe which has a Manual switch just before the cylinder so as to allow closing of cylinder Valve incase of leak or No use.

The assembly inside the engine compartment is a very tedious task; it involves creating space to install the reducer and other related equipment. The power supply to the system is sourced by adding and external connection into the battery directly controlled with a fuse system.
The reducer connections come from the CNG Tank in the rear and with a thick Rubber insulated Copper pipe connect into the throttle body with a specially installed disk and nozzle.
The throttle body is only modified and nothing else in the engine component is tampered with. The emulators connect into the Cars ECU to directly send signals when into CNG mode.

The CNG ECU is ready for installation sometime this week, so I will post details about it later. So right now this system is the Basic CNG System without an ECU or Lambda Sensor. Results can vary between XETA's.

Before CNG installation My XETA had clocked 1500 KM (1.5 Months Old), Thanks to the delay of non-availability of 12 Kg cylinder and the still awaited ECU.I'm glad that this was delayed till the car crossed 1000 KM so that the engine could have a nice Run in period.
During this time I covered a distance of 36.4 KM daily at speeds of 60-80 KMPH-Around 1800-1900 RPM as shown by the Tacho.AC being on lets 30% of the time since mornings are cooler during the monsoon season. The XETA was clocking an average of 11.8 KMPL.Well this is almost Max of what a XETA can do since 14 KMPL is what is advertised as under Test conditions. Considering the heavy body, Powerful AC and 1405 cc engine it is fair enough although pretty expensive to the ex-chequer since my daily expense was around Rs.100.

The CNG System in total costed me around Rs.48, 000/-(Including CNG kit, ECU, RTO Charges, Insurance IDV Value), The current rate of CNG is Rs.19.20 Per KG and as of now I'm clocking Between 16-15 KM per KG same style of driving and speeds and same distance. The immediate cost saving is that my daily expense has now come to Rs 40 (Approx) from the original Rs.100.

CNG Filler stations are available almost everywhere in Delhi, many Oil PSU such as Indian Oil, HP have also started to Sell CNG from the main pipe ring line around Delhi. I use the station next to my house, best times are around 10 PM or early morning lower rush of the Commercial vehicles.

The filling process takes around 5- 6 Min on an average, considering the Pressure available. The Tank capacity is 12 KG, but around 9.06 KG is what I can manage to fill in. The logic here is that the science rule of hot gas expansion comes into play, since gas expands in volume when subjected to hot conditions the cylinder Max's out at 9.06. I'm advised that this will go almost up to the full capacity in winters. So 9.06 KG of gas burns 150 KM for me @ Rs 173.

Petrol Consumption is limited to my idling and before shutting off the ignition, so the petrol is marginally consumed for around 15 Min in a week.

Lets come to the Operation and Driving around with CNG -

So every morning I start her up and let her Idle in Petrol Mode for a Min, so that the engine warms up. Gradually as I shift into the First Gear and steady her out of the parking- CNG switch is RPM Sensitive and Clicks On at 2000 + RPM and stays on thereafter! So once on the road and gradual speed increase to 20 KMPH with Second gear triggers the CNG with a Soft Klick.and engine takes a small pause and Rev's up into CNG! The speed of 30-50 are easy enough with the 3 rd on CNG and 60-80 Shoots faster with the 4 and later the Fifth once I reach steady and clear roads.

The initial boost from 2 into 3 is slower than petrol, however after that the XETA shoots like a rocket, reaching quick speeds of 60.
The CNG system however becomes slower when shifting from High speed into Low speeds and moving with a higher gear- Lets say I'm on 70 KMPH and suddenly I slow down into 30 KMPH, I need to shift from 4 into 3 and Into 2 to get power else sudden pickup is not that fast as in Petrol- This issue is however dealt with the ECU unit or Advanced Timing Sensor which increases the spark rate with any such change.

With AC, CNG is not that fast- You need to shift into lower gear much more frequently when sudden pickup is required after slowing down, However the power remains good when above 50 KMPH. The AC also cools the same as with petrol so no difference in power.
During Flyovers, I shift into 3 rd gear in speed range of 40-50 KMPH just under 2000 RPM and the car effortlessly cruises along, If you keep maintaining the CNG Speed Ratios You cannot complain of underpowered, but obviously its not zippy as petrol so you can't expect the same.

The Engine noise is more or less the same when running in CNG however the reducer does make a initial whirring noise, however the sound is not loud or irritating its generally of the Gas entering into the reducer unit- Point here is the sounds come generally during the first start of the day right in the morning.

The exhaust system gives out almost no smoke and if you hold your palm towards the exhaust it becomes wet with the Water Vapor produced as by product of the CNG System…Does not mean there is no smoke, there must be but its not visible even in the night.

Most of the driving style of speed and gear ratios change with CNG system, and it takes a little while to get used to it.

I really cannot say much more, but I suggest you take a ride in a CNG car and see how it is or could be adaptable to your driving style.
In all I'm happy that the Car is on CNG and giving me an equivalent performance if not less as compared to petrol.

If there is anything specific anyone is looking for does let me know, Next time we have a Team-BHP NCR meet I will bring along the XETA so you all can test it and see.

Last edited by wolfinstein : 7th August 2006 at 23:58.
wolfinstein is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2006, 13:47   #24
BHPian

Hi wolfinstein,
what is the deal that you got for your car? I went to Sanya Motors last evening and they have offered the car (GLG) at the following price:

Ex Showroom: 319258
On Road: 3,40,863 (actual - 3,45,263, less 4400 for extened warrenty which they are not offering with CNG)
CNG Kit: 45000/-
Discount: 10,000/-
Finance Payout: 4.5% of the amount financed.

Does this sound ok? The emi offered to me is rs. 2190 per lakh.

Regards
Jasmeet Pal
Old 13th August 2006, 11:19   #25
BHPian

Ex Show was 3,20 in my case
CNG Kit with ECU , 12 KG Cy along with RTO and Added Insurance cover will come to 48 ( That was in my case)
Discount was around 15 +

Discounts can vary on amount financed basically...!

I suggest you can visit Vivek Motors( Thats where I bought mine from, You can also go to Mirkana A-One..Both are next to Apollo Hospital and Haldiram on Mathura Road and around 5 min away from Sanya)...Sanya was to expensive + rude salesman made me choose Vivek..since I found that they had much more aggressive price offering.

regards

Last edited by wolfinstein : 13th August 2006 at 11:21.
Old 13th August 2006, 13:48   #26
BHPian

@ Jasmeet..Sorry I forgot to include this..!

Extended warranty is a must for cars now, Your CNG system will be warrantied for a period of One Year Only, However when you have extended warranty , The orignal warrranty of the car stands and you get the standard 18 + 18 Extended = 36 Months.
Don't look at saving a few thousands here...Its better that you get it..! Considering that XETA has now a promotional offer of 50 % Off on insurance and A free MP3 System..I'm surprised that its costing you almost the same of what i paid..The total deal for me worked out at 3.70 Flat all inclusive of CNG-TAX-RTO TAX-INSURANCE-SMART CARD-CNG INSURANCE-Everything You need for paperwork...!
Old 16th August 2006, 13:54   #27
BHPian

Hi wolfinstein,
Thanx for all the info. I am really surprised at the deal that you got, it is costing me 3,86,900/- all inclusive for xeta cng at Sanya motors. I'll visit vivek Motors today itself and get a quote from them. I'll update you by evening today. Thanx again.

Regards
Jasmeet Pal

Edit: Sanya motors told me that i can not get extended warrenty if i install CNG!!

Last edited by Jasmeet : 16th August 2006 at 13:56.
Old 18th August 2006, 18:49   #28
BHPian

hi

Any idea of LPG kits for Zeta??!! Has anybody installed this in Zeta??!!! Wud like to have max informations on this topic.

Thanks in advance.
Nikhil
Old 18th August 2006, 21:11   #29
BHPian

@ Nikki..TATA as of now has not made any formal announcements on the LPG system for any of the TATA's..I'm not sure also that it might be offered any time soon since leaving Maruti...Hyundai has announced CNG santro plan...! Getting a LPG system may not be advised since the warranty will become void.
Old 19th August 2006, 13:19   #30
BHPian

XETA Owners!

Hi

I have placed an order for GLS and am also getting the CNG kit installed. I am buying the car from Shaman Motors, Prabhadevi and should get the delivery by the end of this month.

Anyways the most important thing is that I am offered just 18 months warranty on the car and the Kit post which it lapses. Unlike Wolfinstein who has got a 36 month warranty.

Had a chat with the Sales Office of Tata and I was told that Tata as a policy have not been giving 36 month warranty anywhere and refuted to believe Wolfinstein getting and mentioned that was a tall claim and that there was no way he will believe that. He also suggested that if I dont get the CNG fitted then I will get 36 month extended warranty on the car.

Since I have to make my downpayment by the end of this week, wanted to know if any of the XETA buyers with CNG have been offered a 36 month extended warranty.

Its a strange way of handling customers.

Will wait to hear from you guys and what's being offered, dont want to lose out in the long run.

Regards

Saildrive

Most Viewed