Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2006, 17:20   #1
BHPian

Wolfinstein's XETA-CNG Review

Hi,

Well here I am finally a proud owner of a new TATA XETA GLG. I will share the CNG installation and performance only after a few more days as the CNG kit is to be installed shortly due to a new kit being ordered for.
Also, Neither am I great at writing a review- so Lets keep it an Open review where you guys can ask me about whatever details you like. I'm sharing the Car Info/Pictures/ICE installation.

Here are the Car Information

TATA XETA GLG
Engine Capacity - 1395 cc ( Lowered from the Old V2 Indica of 1405 cc)
Weight Unladen - 995 Kg
Height-1485 mm , Length -3675 mm , Width -1665 mm, Ground Clearance-170 mm

Comes with PS / Demister / HVAC ( Electronic Heating/Ventilation/AC)/Front Power Windows/Rear Demister/Fog Lamps/Central Locking/OVRM Both Sides/Door-Head light On Alarm

What it does not have is Good OEM Mats / Alloys / ICE

CNG Kit - TATA Approved Bendini Kit which comes with the Lamda-ECU Controller- The Kit is fully installed by TATA Dealer-Warranty is Honoured after Installation-The Kit is Euro 3 ready.

ICE Installation ( After-Market)

Sony Xplod System CDX-GT250S ( Grey)
Pioneer Rear 6X9 3 Way ( 6961) ( Bill & Warranty)
Pioneer Front 4' Dual Cone ( Grey)

Auto-Cop Gear Lock 3 Yr warranty ( Bill)

And Yes..I got it all inclusive for Rs.9500 ...!

One thing I must really commend TATA for is the they have made provision for everything- There was wiring for Auto-cop/ Speakers- In-Dash-In Door-Rear Tray/Rear Fog Lamp/Additional Horn on LH Side.
The In-door speakers had a very neat fiber and rubber layered cavity to protect from water.

Overall, TATA finally had the customer realize that they can make better cars and not only the best trucks. The finish as said by many is much better but yet is still not at the level of Maruti or Hyundai- Plastics used on Hand-Brake/Glove compartment could have been much better.
Seats and Carpets are clean and very well matched with the Beige setup.

Choice of Tyres for installation is limited to the Stock at time of delivery, However the choice is between- Apollo Amazer/JK Tyre/Good Year/Bridgestone. The Alloys are not part of the package- I think this should have been done.

The instrument cluster is very neat, and allows for pleasant viewing- You can adjust the LCD brightness.The White Meters are a pleasure to veiw, makes you feel really sporty.

Pickup wise-XETA is very much still like a Mini Truck, only much faster in slower gear but moves on to a steady pick-up. However since I've clocked less than 100 KM I really cannot say how much it will improve once the engine loosens up. In short- Its not a Zippy Machine-But its much sturdier and balanced than anything in its class. However it does not mean the XETA cannot run-Its fast enough to overtake and cut across-Regular city driving not Formula F1.

Enjoy the pictures..!

Old 19th June 2006, 22:13   #2
BHPian

Here are a few more

I thought I also share this with you, Today I had to go to the dealer for the Number plate and RC- and it turns out that there are 5 Indica's XETA to be delivered with CNG..The other time while I was researching with Shri-Manker ( The TATA Authorised CNG Fitter)there were around 10 New Numberless Indicas waiting for CNG installation..and the number is rising...I hope TATA realizes this and Once again launches the Factory Fitted CNG model..The Time has come when every Car Manufacturer should explore Alternate Fuel Vehicles to be launched in India also..I think apart from TATA and REVA Electric..Nobody offers a CNG/LPG or Electric version..Even Maruti has stopped the CNG Omni...And have no fixed launch for the LPG Wagon R...!
I'm eagerly awaiting the CNG installation and will update the review as and when its done.

Last edited by wolfinstein : 19th June 2006 at 22:15.
Old 19th June 2006, 23:08   #3
Senior - BHPian

Thats a nice, brief report.

Quote:
I thought I also share this with you, Today I had to go to the dealer for the Number plate and RC- and it turns out that there are 5 Indica's XETA to be delivered with CNG..The other time while I was researching with Shri-Manker ( The TATA Authorised CNG Fitter)there were around 10 New Numberless Indicas waiting for CNG installation..and the number is rising...I hope TATA realizes this and Once again launches the Factory Fitted CNG model..The Time has come when every Car Manufacturer should explore Alternate Fuel Vehicles to be launched in India also..I think apart from TATA and REVA Electric..Nobody offers a CNG/LPG or Electric version..Even Maruti has stopped the CNG Omni...And have no fixed launch for the LPG Wagon R...!
I agree. With sky-rocketting fuel prices, MAnufacturers need to hook up LPG/CNG which will bring running costs down by around 40% which is significant.

PS: Early bird gets its worm! MAnufacturers listening??
Old 20th June 2006, 10:26   #4
Senior - BHPian

Are there hybrid options in the market ? As in petrol and/or cng ? Basically for those long trips or cng refill shortages etc ?
Old 20th June 2006, 11:36   #5
Team-BHP Support

For petrol cars its hybrid. So if you run out of CNG you can always fill up petrol and switch the flick. Not so sure about diesel ones because I have heard some mods need to be done to the engine head.
Old 21st June 2006, 17:03   #6
Senior - BHPian

Have you realised that Xeta (70 BHP) makes more torque at its Maximum power RPM than the V2 (75BHP) at the same rpm. The Maximum Torque being obviously higher. So through out the rev range the Xeta is supposed to have more pulling power , but will loose out on the drag strip because you cannot rev it long enough.
Old 23rd June 2006, 15:13   #7

pls show us some pic after installing the kit... and the types of kit with the price

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfinstein
Here are a few more

I'm eagerly awaiting the CNG installation and will update the review as and when its done.
-------------------------------------------------------------

pls upload few pics of XETA with CNG kitt and how much space you save then.
Thanks
Abhee
Old 23rd June 2006, 15:29   #8
BHPian

looks nice and clean,
i dont see a HU installed ?
Old 23rd June 2006, 16:44   #9
BANNED

Wolfinstein,

Congratulations on your new Xeta. I myself, intend buying the GLG within the next few months. The car has decent interiors and the instrument panel looks awesome!
Just a few questions:
1. Could you elaborate on the ICE system that you had installed? Was it through the dealer or did you have it fitted from outside? What I've gotten to hear is that music systems at dealerships are over-priced.
2. As you pointed out, alloy wheels should have come as standard equipment. Would you know how much it would cost to have alloy wheels fitted and what size is recommended for the Xeta GLG?

Thanks.
Old 23rd June 2006, 18:53   #10
Team-BHP Support

Wolfinstein: how much are they charging you for the kit, installation and the modified warranty? I was not aware that Tata offers such deal! Is a similar deal also available for LPG kits? I mean CNG is not much of an option outside of the NCR.
Old 24th June 2006, 12:13   #11
BHPian

@ abhee..Well the CNG is to be installed in the coming week, however the CNG tak takes up the boot space so either you can go for a smaller tank to have a marginal space available, I don't need the space so I'm getting a 12 Kg Cylinder.

@ Luvjacha..Well the dealer was selling old and over priced systems,So as advised by the ICE Gurus..to explore after market options, Here I was at a dealer shop and he showed me Pioneer and Sony Xplod systems which he had installed in the Sound rooms..! I finally opted to choose a Sony Xplod HU as it sounded much clearer and also had Aux-In and Remote as compared with Pioneers basic MP3 Model, which for some reason was also not having good HU Keys...!

I then chose Pioneer speakers as they were any day better than Sony..! Gear-Lock thing was a promotional offer in his shop..so everything was well fit into my budget...of which began with a modest Rs.7000 and finally closed at Rs.9500 with the Speakers and Gear-Lock under Bill and Warranty, HU was grey with 1 Yr Service Warranty.

The HU and speakers installation was very simple and easy, There was pre-provided wiring and connections for the HU, All the fitter did was to install the device into a Plug and Play application type setup...The HU was however adjusted to a Clip harness with wires and plugged the new harness into the Car's OEM Provided Connection.

The In-Dash speakers had wiring already, also had a neat installation crevice, so as to mount the speakers and no Khar Khar of the Dashboard, The In-Door speakers were the surprise..The Wiring was there..also it had a very neat Fibre and Rubber Cup which was to protect from any water damage and the orignal door grills had ample room to fit back in perfectly.

The rear parcel tray had the connection ports, All the installer did was to Wire the port to the speakers with the OEM Wires provided in the Speaker box.
The Auto-Cop Gear Lock installation was done by an Auto-Cop Service guy, he came with his tools-Drills-Hammer-Rivets-Rubber sealants-etc...! He neatly cut the carpet and installed the device. Since most of the Work was done underside, I could not take a very nice view of the installation procedure, But was very happy with the finish.

The XETA Tyres are R 13 Class which offer options of Good Year/JK Tye/Apollo Amazer/Bridgestone, However this is limited to the Stock which came from the factory. When I went to choose the car it had Bridgestone and the car I got has Apollo..Although I requested for Bridgstone...! Alloys from TATA are good, however you can do much better to survey the market and go for alloys depending on your budget and looks you want..! Personally I would like the 5 Spoke Steel Finish Rims from TATA or Hindalco- These were priced at Rs.13400 for a set of 5.

@ Zappo, Yes I agree that CNG is not yet available everywhere...so is LPG Gas..Not the Domestic Cylinder ones..lol..! Delhi/Mumbai/Agra are cities at least I know which have CNG..More cities are in the process...! The Kit is a TATA Approved Bedini -Lamda Euro 3 ECU Controlled Kit with a 12 Kg Cylinder- In open market the setup is not more than 40,000 ( Including RTO and Insurance IDV) however since TATA is giving warranty the Price is that you will have to Pay TATA for the Kit and Its around 48,000 ( Including RTO and Insurance IDV) Considering the warranty being honoured on the car for 36 Months the Extra 8 is not much a cost to pay. I've no idea about LPG deals on TATA cars.
However in NCR CNG is more widely available as Petrol since the Public Transport Fleet runs on CNG..LPG Pumps are coming up but are still to less..!

Last edited by wolfinstein : 24th June 2006 at 12:14.
Old 24th June 2006, 12:34   #12
Senior - BHPian

That was a nice repot Wolfinstein. We are also considering installing a CNG kit in our 2004 Indigo GLS. Do let us know how much of a performance drop (if at all) you feel once the kit is installed. Got to say, the petrol Indixxs have moved quite a distance from the Indica2000 days. Your interiors look great.
Old 25th June 2006, 08:36   #13
BANNED

Wolfinstein, that was some detailed info you shared there, buddy. Appreciate it!
I am interested in learning all there is to alloy wheels. What might be some advantages and disadvantages and would the experts recommend them to be fitted?
There also seems to be a connection between alloy wheels and tubeless tyres. Could someone explain?

Thanks
Old 25th June 2006, 23:24   #14
BHPian

Alloy wheels are a must have for every car, Not only they add to the stying , Alloy rims are much Safer/Studier/Stronger/Lighter compared with Steel Rims. Thye reduce the overall weight of the car, as they are lighter and thus increase performance and reduce wear-tear of tyres and shockers.
Tube-Less tyres along with Alloys are the Deadly Combo- Tubeless tyres are safer/last longer/heat-up less/much balanced compared with regular/No more changing Punctures, just fill up and move. The leak gets sealed by the walls of the Tyre so as to allow air to escape very slow- you can cover a considerable distance without the tyre going flat...Infact The first time I have had my lancer bridgestone potenza flat was recently after 10,000 KM.

You can get more information from OEM Tyre company web pages ...! Namely the best Tubeless are Bridgestone Potenza GIII/GoodYear/Apollo Accelare, Imported ones are use at own risk- as not all are with guaranteed to perform and certified,But nevertheless you can check Michelin-Pirelli ..I doubt they come in R 13 size.
Old 26th June 2006, 06:46   #15
BANNED

Indeed, they seem like a 'must-have' for any vehicle.
Do you recommend I have the tubeless tyres and alloy wheels fitted through the TATA dealership while booking the vehicle?
Any idea on how much I could be looking at, with this combo?

Thanks again.
P.S : Going off-topic here, but where are the power window control devices located in the Xeta?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks