Team-BHP - "Leisure"ly enjoying the Skoda Rapid TDI
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/)
-   -   "Leisure"ly enjoying the Skoda Rapid TDI (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/144428-leisure-ly-enjoying-skoda-rapid-tdi.html)

How it all began (All over again...)

First Car

i10 has so far done some 46K Kms in last 6years and is being occasionally used for weekend/festival driving.

The family has grown since my first car and so did the needs.

I was now looking for a car which I would be using as my daily ride to the office (50kms daily) along with occasional weekend/outstantion drives.

What Next?

Cars Considered
  1. Honda Amaze
  2. Toyota Etios
  3. Renault Duster
  4. Nissan Sunny
  5. Hyundai "Fluidic" Verna 1.4 CRDI
  6. Ford Ecosport
  7. Maruti Ertiga
  8. Volkswagen Vento TDI Comfortline
  9. Skoda Rapid TDI

Honda Amaze - To be Honest, it doesn't appear to me a Honda Product. I was put off the moment I sat in Driver's seat and was like "I can't pay 8-9Lakh for this for sure".

I wanted a Car where you can feel the elegance after you have paid that sumptuous amount to "own" the car.

Toyotal Etios - Didn't even bother to Drive it for the reasons same as for Honda Amaze.

Renault Duster - Overpriced. Overhyped. Full Stop.

Nissan Sunny - Specs wise, that's a Good Caaaaar. Didn't appreciate much how its boot was deisged and then I had my reasons to choose Skoda over Nissan.

Hyundai Verna - This was my dream car at one time. Didn't have any bad experiences with Hyundai so that should also be fine. Also ticked many boxes. The one which I was getting within budget was 1.4. All in all, not too bad but the moment we sat in Skoda Rapid, Hyundai was out of mind.

Ford Ecosport - This was my latest dream car. But 7 months waiting? Price Increase by 50K within days after launch. A budget was to come in between the waiting time as well. Unknown ownership experience. Well....

Maruti Ertiga - This was the final contender and the only reason for considering Ertiga was that it can double up as 7 seater on occasional "marriage/function" trips. Came within budget, had all features as well but obviously can't call it "strongly built". Absolutely No discounts and the dealers are like they are doing a charity by giving you a car.

Vento/Rapid - The twin sisters/brothers, depending upon how you see the world, impresses you the moment you hold the Steering Wheel and put your foot on the Gas Paddle and 1.6L engine roars. The doors closed like "Thud", it had a "Plush" factor, loved the simplistic yet elegant design and man I was impressed. Always had a thing for Skoda. Used to drool for Octavia when its first edition was launched. VW/Skoda...AUDI, wanted to clear my path to future possessions.

My final 3 were Ertiga,Vento & Ertiga(and Verna as well).

Mrs. ruled out Ertiga as soon as she was involved in the Test Drive of Ertiga & Rapid.

That left me with Vento & Rapid. While Vento had a Subtle character, Rapid to me a wolf in sheep's clothes. But still, I was open to both the options though my inclination was toward's Rapid.

Threads Referred

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ve-review.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/news/skoda-l...-edition-model

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans...-vs-rapid.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans...vs-others.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...dex-page1.html

Model
Leisure - Limited Edition
"Leisure"ly enjoying the Skoda Rapid TDI-image.jpg

Features =
Model Ambition Plus (With new Skoda Logo) +
Skoda 15" Alloys +
Rear Camera +
Parking Sensors +
Leatherette Seat Covers +
Door Sills +
Garmin Navigation

Dealer also added the Mats and Mud Flaps.

Saving roughly 50-55K

Features Sorely Missed (which I wanted!!!)=
MID (Real Time Average/All time Average/Distance to Empty)
Steering Mounted Controls
USB port

OTR Price
OTR is 1082166 (New Delhi)
Discount Offered = 76166
Discounted OTR Price = 1006000
Added Zero Dep (Thanks TBHP for recommendation) - 5032
Final OTR Price = 1011032

The sheer VFM I was getting (savings/features worth 1.75+) along with known initial ownership costs for this variant made me choose Rapid over Vento and Verna.

Financials
Got a Mouth Watering Interest Rate for 5.41% for a duration of 36 months which helped me save roughly 45000 on Interest on a Loan.

Further Included Benefits =
5X5 Offer
1. Dirt Cheap Interest Rate - As shown above in Financial
2. Free First Year Insurance - Upgraded to 0 shield with additional Payment
3. 5 Years Warranty - (At cost of 9444 distributed by adding 787/month to the EMI payment for first 12 months)
4. 3 Years PMS (At cost of 30996 distributed over 36 months by adding 861/month in the EMI) - Will Cover Regular Service costs and consumables).
5. 5 Years Road Side Assistance

So far have driven 750+ kms covered mainly during between Home-Office commute with occasional sprints on NH8.

Driver Comfort
After being used to the silence of the Petrol, this one is a noisy child. The moment you switch it own, it growls.
But once you start accelerating, there comes an obvious grin on the face.
  1. Driver Seat Height adjustment along with the adjustable steering (Rake and Reach) ensures you can find at least one comfortable seating.
  2. IRVM hinders my view from the front windshield may be due to its slant (or may be that the Driver seat has been adjusted on the up side). With Night Mode, the rear visibility is almost negligible. Also, you need to adjust it a bit to have a view of the rear.
  3. ORVM are big and gives a good view of the traffic behind.
  4. The controls for Power Windows are standard
  5. I find the joystick control for ORVM's as a bit awkward. Move the knob to Left to manage Right Side ORVM and to Right to manage the Left side ORVM. I get confused!!!.
  6. Just ONE tripmeter!!! Now, even my 6 year old i10 had 2.
  7. With missing MID in Ambition model, all I can see varying is the outside temperature. Nice conversation starter though!!!
  8. Fog lights are powerful and add to more visibility as well as look factor.
  9. Feeble vibrations are felt on Gear lever when in fourth gear. This is something I will get looked into at 7500kms checkup.

Front Seat Passenger Comfort
Now this is enormous specially once pushed all the way back.
I have not yet asked but is kind of obvious the way wifey enjoys her luxurious seat (along with pushing my elbow away from the centre arm rest)
She is happy (and which means I am or have to be!!!).

Rear Seat Comfort
Now, these 2 may be class apart but I can only compare it to my other car i.e. i10.
In i10, if you push the passenger seat all the way back, the passenger seated behind is in the most uncomfortable state.
This is not the case in Rapid where both the passengers enjoy the luxury seating.
Middle armrest is a good "show off" but we haven't used it. If the kids come to know of it (and it will be sooner than later), its going to be their next see-saw.
2 Adults+2 Children were easily seated in the back seats.

Acceleration
It took me a while to adjust my heavy foot style of driving. The moment you step on the Gas Pedal, the RPM crosses 1500+ and you get pushed to the back. Learnt after a while that can simply get the car going by just releasing the clutch and still there was enough engine power available.
For that matter, in bumper to bumper traffic, I can't use second gear at all. The moment you release the clutch the car moves like an arrow has been shot from the bow. Makes me realise time and again that "With Great Power, comes Great Responsibility"

Braking
So far I haven't had any qualms on the braking front.
Again, due to using of an ABS car, trying to get my braking style accustomed to single press of braking instead of pumping of the brakes which was required earlier to avoid the car skid.
ABS has kicked in a couple of times while hard braking from speeds of 100+ on an uneven road (I wanted to test it as well). You feel vibrations in the pedals and in turn you achieve the braking distance what you intended to.
Have read about the Dual Rate Brake Assist which seems to be patented to the VW group of cars but seems it is doing what it is intended to do.

Tyres
You cannot have effective braking with shoddy tyres. The 185/60 Apollo Acceleres on the 15" Alloys maintains the grip on the road well. No tyre noise is audible in the compartment but that may also be due to the well insulated Cabin. They have a long way to go so its wait and watch at the moment.
Meanwhile, the Spare tyre is a 175/70 R-14 on steel frame. Why on earth can't the 5th one also be given as an alloy???

PS: What will be the effect when car will be driven with a spare tyre in case of a punctured Alloy?

NVH
What would the noise in the cabin be like if Skoda hadn't provided the Under hood dampening?
The Diesel clatter inside the Cabin is very obvious even after rolling up the windows right from time when ignition is turned on. The clatter changes to a nice hummm once you start accelerating beyond 40kmph.
With music volume at >5 and AC turned On, it becomes difficult to hear the engine noise for the passenger. Though, the Driver is made well aware about the running engine by means of RLS, all thanks to the shaking clutch.

Accessories

In the boot, along with the spare type, you get
  1. Tools for changing the Tyre
  2. First Aid Kit
  3. Triangle
  4. 2 Spare Bulbs + 2 Fuse

The tools are arranged nicely in a box which is then grasped with an adjustable ribbon. The Jack that comes along is different from what we are
used to and so I would definitely recommend to either try changing one of the tyres to get accustomed to it, else at-least have a thorough look at it to avoid any last minute surprises.

Few other points -
  1. Power T - This was to bring the Devil out me but it made me sedate as the fun is now out of the window. All you need to do is choose a car to overtake. Get the Revs to 1800+, depress the Accelerate Pedal and lo - That car will be biting the dust you left behind. Its like having a Power T with you which you can use at your will.(Pehle main niraash rehta tha, sab gaadiyan mujhse aage nikal jati thi, lekin ab mere paas hai Power T stupid:) Overtaking, which was once so thrilling and exciting suddenly became monotonous and ah! so easy!!!

2. The Factory fitted Music System is pretty decent. You need to tweak the setup a bit to get the sound of your liking.

3. GALA Mode Now, Manual says that Volume should go up with increase in speed (and vice versa), I haven't much of its effect same so far. May I need to drive faster to see the effect.

4. Front storage compartment on passenger side has an awkward placement of the opening lid (as per one of the Magazine reviews) but to me it is very convenient to open the same when seated at Driver's seat. The coins/specs/visiting card holders spaces are really useful and well thought of.

5. Centre Armrest is very convenient. Came to know later that it is height adjustable and thus it is fun to keep your hand on it all the time and shift Gears, very relaxing. BUT, the access to Handbrake gets hindered.

6. Now, the engine temperature gauge is missing but a conversation starter has been provided in terms of Outside Temperature Gauge. Simply Funny.

7. Semi Automatic Sedan. Well, some may simply say that driver should know what gear to engage and when but I find the Gear telling feature via the MID very useful. And against my original belief of it being stupid, it is indeed intelligent. Depending upon your driving style (sedate/aggressive), it will tell you when you should be Changing Gears. Personally, I find it quite useful and trust that it should help me in achieving optimum fuel efficiency.

8. AUTOMATIC The way this car handles slow as well as high speeds is remarkable. From as low as 50 to high as 180+(yet to test), you can drive it all in 5th gear all so effortlessly.

9. Diesel Clatter is obvious. Having driven a Petrol car earlier, you come to know about this being engine from the moment you crank the engine.

10. Got a Fuel efficiency of 13.6kmpl during the first week. Not bad considering 5-7 mins idling in traffic and slow moving traffic for half of my journey each day.

11. Within the city you can easily drive around in 3/4th ger most of the time. The need to go overdrive feels very less. (Is it OK to drive in 4th for most of times is the question).

12. Suspension is stiff. But coming from i10 which also had one of the stiffer suspensions, no noticeable difference observed.

13. Braking is good. I think ABS came into play only once when I tried braking hard on a rough rode. Not sure it the vibration in pedal was of ABS or the rough road though.

14. Clutch pedal is always on Vibrator mode. Takes time to get used to it.

15. Wifey is happy

Lightened Up Face
"Leisure"ly enjoying the Skoda Rapid TDI-100_3735.jpg

Steering Wheel with New Skoda Logo
"Leisure"ly enjoying the Skoda Rapid TDI-100_3725.jpg

ICE with SD Card and Aux
"Leisure"ly enjoying the Skoda Rapid TDI-100_3728.jpg

The Rear
"Leisure"ly enjoying the Skoda Rapid TDI-100_3736.jpg

Side profile
"Leisure"ly enjoying the Skoda Rapid TDI-100_3738.jpg

Garmin Navigator with Rear Camera Input
"Leisure"ly enjoying the Skoda Rapid TDI-100_3724.jpg

460L of Big Boot
"Leisure"ly enjoying the Skoda Rapid TDI-100_3744.jpg

Good view from ORVM
"Leisure"ly enjoying the Skoda Rapid TDI-100_3746.jpg

Low Visibility IRVM with Parking Indicator(Skoda Genuine Accessory) on Top. On the left is Garmin Navigation with connection to Rear Camera. Both of these are my saviour while Parking.
"Leisure"ly enjoying the Skoda Rapid TDI-100_3729.jpg

The Parking Indicator buzzes out loud the closer you go (and thus has an option to switch off)
"Leisure"ly enjoying the Skoda Rapid TDI-100_3748.jpg

Adjustable Seat Belt and the nice little "hook"
"Leisure"ly enjoying the Skoda Rapid TDI-100_3751.jpg

Protective sheen. VW writes about it so much and Skoda doesn't even care
"Leisure"ly enjoying the Skoda Rapid TDI-100_3743.jpg

Driver Controls
"Leisure"ly enjoying the Skoda Rapid TDI-100_3749.jpg

Lastly, I would like to thank various members of TBHP whose posts and reviews have helped me in making this decision and have the ownership of this beast.

This ain't no Hi-Fi One think Do it all kind of a Music System.
But still IMHO it does its job pretty decent.
A tweak here, a notch up there and you can hear some nice beats (and thumps).
It is missing a USB, Bluetooth, integrated reverse Parking Sensor and/or Camera; pretty much everything that we modern generation saw as part of the "Evolution of a ICE".

But, it still has some very simple yet nice features which I find missing from most "Up to Date" systems.

First, here is a look of the Center Console in its full glory.
"Leisure"ly enjoying the Skoda Rapid TDI-dsc_1418.jpg

"Simply Clever Feature 1" - Go Gala
Volume follows your driving speed. It takes a while to realise whether or not the Volume actually gets increased/decreased with your driving but in the end you conclude, yes it does. On a scale of 1 to 5 (1 being the best), I would rate this as 5.

"Leisure"ly enjoying the Skoda Rapid TDI-dsc_1419.jpg

"Simply Clever Feature 2"
Had a party last night with music blaring at almost Full volume.
Start the car next morning and :Shockked: "Party abhi baaki hai" Shouts your speaker....
Well, this one takes care of the stuff by letting you define a volume at which you want the Music to start when you switch the system on.
Now, the clever(er) part. You stop the music at 5 and have set the On Vol at 10, your music will start at the lower volume of 5.
Rating - 5/5.

"Leisure"ly enjoying the Skoda Rapid TDI-dsc_1420.jpg

"Simply Clever Feature 3" Mute=Pause
As soon as you lower the volume to the lowest possible denominator, the track pauses. Afterall, what fun is it to play a track who no-one is listening to.
Its clever, ain't it?
Rating - 5/5

"Leisure"ly enjoying the Skoda Rapid TDI-dsc_1431.jpg

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Initial Ownership Section. Thanks for sharing!

Hi. Congrats on the Skoda Rapid. It is a nice car. BTW what was the OTR? Is it the Ambiente trim that you have bought?

Congrats and drive safe.

Regards,

Achyuth

Congrats on your Rapid. Thanks for an exhaustive review. Rating it 4 stars.
Wishing you many happy miles with it. Wish only if Skoda could infuse some more energy and transparency in there servicing department.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Achyuth Vaibhav (Post 3303245)
Hi. Congrats on the Skoda Rapid. It is a nice car. BTW what was the OTR? Is it the Ambiente trim that you have bought?

Congrats and drive safe.

Regards,

Achyuth

The Original OTR was 1082166.

This is the special edition Leisure trim which is basically "Ambition Plus" plus the add-ons (alloys, leatherrete seat cover, navigation, reverse camera, parking sensors and door sills)

Quote:

Originally Posted by drmohitg (Post 3303368)
Congrats on your Rapid. Thanks for an exhaustive review. Rating it 4 stars.
Wishing you many happy miles with it. Wish only if Skoda could infuse some more energy and transparency in there servicing department.

I agree that there is a lot to be desired on the Transparency part. I will soon share my first "Skoda Horror story" which happened even before I had a car was with me. Anyways, I am a positive thinker and hope SKoda doesn't change that mindset of mine.

Picture Quiz -

Lock Kar diya Jaye

"Leisure"ly enjoying the Skoda Rapid TDI-dsc_1439.jpg

Hum Paanch

"Leisure"ly enjoying the Skoda Rapid TDI-dsc_1440.jpg

Left-Right-Left

"Leisure"ly enjoying the Skoda Rapid TDI-dsc_1441.jpg

Diwali Time

"Leisure"ly enjoying the Skoda Rapid TDI-dsc_1442.jpg

And the cutest

"Leisure"ly enjoying the Skoda Rapid TDI-dsc_1438.jpg

Congratulations on your Rapid achopraa!! Skoda does a brilliant job with it's NVH levels , even in the Fabia once the window goes up it pretty much shuts out most of the world , one of the things i had to get used to once i got the T-Jet where the NVH is good but not as good as the Skoda's.

Quote:

Originally Posted by achopraa (Post 3294892)

NVH
What would the noise in the cabin be like if Skoda hadn't provided the Under hood dampening?

As I mentioned in my post, that one of "must have" feature which I was looking for my next car was - MID (Intantaneous Fuel Consumption/ Average Fuel Consumption etc.)

I want to know as much as I can about what's happening inside the car, even if that may make no sense to me. Atleast I will be empowered with more information. lol:

Once again, all thanks to our forum and more specifically the below thread -
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...dian-cars.html
I stumbled upon this "easter egg" and was on cloud seven.

Long story short - Within 2 days, I had the OBD Scanner (ELM 327) device in my hand.

Ofcourse before it was ordered, I made sure that I am able to locate the OBD Scanner Port. I knew it was there below the steering wheel as one of members was using it in Rapid but I had to literally bend my back followed by neck to have a glimpse of it.

There is no cover for it. It is below the steering column, just on the slight right and further down to the Fuse box. Here is a picture of how it looks like -

"Leisure"ly enjoying the Skoda Rapid TDI-dsc_1447.jpg

And here is the "MoJo"
"Leisure"ly enjoying the Skoda Rapid TDI-dsc_1452.jpg

Picture of installed "Mojo"
"Leisure"ly enjoying the Skoda Rapid TDI-dsc_1455.jpg

Another picture from bit far.
"Leisure"ly enjoying the Skoda Rapid TDI-dsc_1456.jpg

Few Points -
This is what I am capturing:
"Leisure"ly enjoying the Skoda Rapid TDI-screenshot_20131214184015.png
"Leisure"ly enjoying the Skoda Rapid TDI-screenshot_20131214184023.png

I find a host of devices on ebay.
Which particular one did you buy?
Idiotic question but The v2.1 or v1.5?

Quote:

Originally Posted by manas27587 (Post 3319736)
I find a host of devices on ebay.
Which particular one did you buy?
Idiotic question but The v2.1 or v1.5?

I bought this one - http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=200989709807

The latest version for Hardware is v1.5 and for software is v2.1

This is the information I got after reading various ebay deacriptions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by achopraa (Post 3300892)

"Simply Clever Feature 1" - Go Gala
Volume follows your driving speed. It takes a while to realise whether or not the Volume actually gets increased/decreased with your driving but in the end you conclude, yes it does. On a scale of 1 to 5 (1 being the best), I would rate this as 5.

Attachment 1169844

Hi

I couldn't find this option in my car. Could you please guide me as to how we get to this option in the music system

Regards