Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2013, 09:51   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: My 1st diesel: Diamond white Ford Figo ZXI. Interior Pics on Pg 3

Hey sameerg001. Congrats on the car once again. I think both of us collected our Figo's on the same day. My car stands at 6k currently and I haven't had any issues till date (touch wood !)

Looks like your check engine light issue is finally solved. Have fun with your Figo.
Old 26th November 2013, 10:42   #47

Hopefully your problem would have got sorted out with the sensor replacement, In my case they replaced VSS sensor which is supposed to measure the speed but plays havoc with all electronics if it malfunctions.
Everything from remote locking, to HLs, to ICE used to behave erratically, and they could not pinpoint the problem till finally during driving the ODO and speedometer stopped working intermittently.
Old 26th November 2013, 10:55   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001 View Post

But, today while returning from class, The light suddenly came on while i was doing some 50 km/h and the car lost all the power suddenly, even after downshifting and pressing the A pedal completely, the car kept loosing it's momentum. Managed to get her off the road, switched it off, then after 5 mins started it again. Though the light didn't went away but now the car was somewhat drivable.
I can understand the annoyance caused by this kinda issue.

Sorry to sound bothering, If its just a sensor failure why the car losing its momentum? One thing i hate about these ASCs is that, they were not competent enough to explain/identify the reason for these kinda issues, they simply try to wash off things from their hands sooner.

I think from your other post i believe they have already replaced some sensor in accelerator, am i right? now another sensor?

Anyways I wish from my heart that the above fix puts an full stop to the issue.

If not and it creeps again, leave the car to ASC, and ask them to give a written statement of what diagnostic made and what fix they give for it, also don't allow them to close the job card until some run-in say a couple of week.
Old 26th November 2013, 11:19   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

UPDATE on engine check light issue:

The light was constantly annoying since last few days, but due to time limitations i was not able to attend it. After restarting the car, It used to go for couple of kms but, only to come again.

But, today while returning from class, The light suddenly came on while i was doing some 50 km/h and the car lost all the power suddenly, even after downshifting and pressing the A pedal completely, the car kept loosing it's momentum. Managed to get her off the road, switched it off, then after 5 mins started it again. Though the light didn't went away but now the car was somewhat drivable.

So, Directly took the car to Astro Ford, where i was acknowledged promptly on arrival. The job card was ready in 5 mins, they took in the car at 12'0 clock and told me that i'll get her back at 4. I went to my home, as service center is just 2 kms away from my home. Called them up at 4-30, He told me the car will be ready to delivered by 5.

Went there at 5, they replaced one sensor after scanning the car. Bill was 0, as it was covered in warranty. Left from there at 5-15. So far after replacement of sensor, I've driven over 50 kms and i guess, it's sorted out now. I just now hope that, It doesn't come again. Had enough of it now

Sameer, thats the "limp home" mode. Exactly what it says. The ECU capped the revs and fuel supply off, cos it sensed something amiss, which may/may not harm it.

Do tell us WHAT sensor was replaced, so that others know a diagnosable cause.
Old 26th November 2013, 16:42   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVE_ADDICT View Post

Sorry to sound bothering, If its just a sensor failure why the car losing its momentum? One thing i hate about these ASCs is that, they were not competent enough to explain/identify the reason for these kinda issues, they simply try to wash off things from their hands sooner.

I think from your other post i believe they have already replaced some sensor in accelerator, am i right? now another sensor?

If not and it creeps again, leave the car to ASC, and ask them to give a written statement of what diagnostic made and what fix they give for it, also don't allow them to close the job card until some run-in say a couple of week.
Hey drive_addict, the check engine light in any car, when switches on, automatically moves the car to limp mode as rightly pointed by mayankk. It just ensures the car does not perform to it potential and the owner rightly crawls it to near by service center without any further damage.

I had the checkengine light issue in my palio. Once it was a simple air filter sensor wire not plugged properly and the other time, after a lot of tries finaly found out the brake vacuum pump was at fault and the brakes would suddenly become hard(like when vehicle is off) even when the vehicle is on.
swami.n is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2013, 19:58   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
Hey sameerg001. Congrats on the car once again. I think both of us collected our Figo's on the same day. My car stands at 6k currently and I haven't had any issues till date (touch wood !)

Looks like your check engine light issue is finally solved. Have fun with your Figo.
Hey buddy, Yes indeed we both got this on same day and i guess the time was same too. Mine has done 8.3k so far and i am enjoying every single minute with her except for this fly in ointment engine check light issue, which seems to be gone now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asthana#No.1 View Post
Hopefully your problem would have got sorted out with the sensor replacement, In my case they replaced VSS sensor which is supposed to measure the speed but plays havoc with all electronics if it malfunctions.
Everything from remote locking, to HLs, to ICE used to behave erratically, and they could not pinpoint the problem till finally during driving the ODO and speedometer stopped working intermittently.
Yes, I hope it's gone now, I only can be sure after putting atleast another 1000 kms on her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVE_ADDICT View Post

Yes, the car went in limp mode, after which the fuel supply got cut off. Yes earlier they changed the accelerator pedal, which comes along with some sensor, it's a unit as a whole. Yesterday, They replaced one sensor, of which SA didn't had any idea, plus they re calibrated the PCM module.

Hope fully, it won't come again. Fingers crossed as of now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Sameer, thats the "limp home" mode. Exactly what it says. The ECU capped the revs and fuel supply off, cos it sensed something amiss, which may/may not harm it.

Do tell us WHAT sensor was replaced, so that others know a diagnosable cause.
Yes, earlier the car never behaved like this even with the light. But this time, it got quite worst.

No idea, Which sensor they replaced. I asked SA 3-4 times, He was clueless, I left it then, Thought the job card would have mention of the same. But once the car was out with gate pass. It didn't had mention of anything. All he told me was, One sensor was replaced with re calibration of PCM.

Plus, I was running out of time, So left it like this only. I'll ask him once again, when i go for 10k service as they must have mention of same in their records.

I guess, I'll have to buy a OBD tool now for the car
Old 26th November 2013, 20:36   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
All he told me was, One sensor was replaced with re calibration of PCM.
Seriously?

Next time ask him how much they charge for PCM recalibration?
Old 26th November 2013, 20:40   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post

Seriously?

Next time ask him how much they charge for PCM recalibration?
Haha, you have better experience with ford's after sales scene in Delhi.
Old 27th November 2013, 00:07   #54
BHPian

Nice detailed write up, enjoyed reading it .

This reminds of a similar nagging issue with my Optra Magnum sometime back with the engine check light on intermittently. Since I shuttle between BLR and TVM, I showed it to service centers in both the cities. My general inference is that folks at BLR dint care much to investigate, but suggested replacing intake sensors, wiring etc. Whereas at TVM they found it to be an issue of a rat bite on a wiring to turbo charger. Same happened later on with another issue of RPM not increasing beyond a point after driving around 300kms continuously. This was also sorted out with a zero bill at TVM service center. My inference is that the technicians in larger cities neither has patience nor the expertise to investigate and find out the root causes. Rather they would choose the easy route of replacing pricey spares which will earn moolah for the service centers.
Also I wanted to ask you about the ground clearance issue which I have heard from many folks. How do you feel from your experience?

Wish you many more happy miles in your Ford !!

Last edited by shinuak : 27th November 2013 at 00:09. Reason: Corrected Typo
Old 27th November 2013, 23:34   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinuak View Post
Nice detailed write up, enjoyed reading it .

This reminds of a similar nagging issue with my Optra Magnum sometime back with the engine check light on intermittently. Since I shuttle between BLR and TVM, I showed it to service centers in both the cities. My general inference is that folks at BLR dint care much to investigate, but suggested replacing intake sensors, wiring etc. Whereas at TVM they found it to be an issue of a rat bite on a wiring to turbo charger. Same happened later on with another issue of RPM not increasing beyond a point after driving around 300kms continuously. This was also sorted out with a zero bill at TVM service center. My inference is that the technicians in larger cities neither has patience nor the expertise to investigate and find out the root causes. Rather they would choose the easy route of replacing pricey spares which will earn moolah for the service centers.
Also I wanted to ask you about the ground clearance issue which I have heard from many folks. How do you feel from your experience?

Wish you many more happy miles in your Ford !!
Thanks buddy for the wishes

Well the ground clearance stands at 168 mm, which is nor too high nor too less. It serves the purpose but you really have to be careful on bad roads. I have done quite a few highway drives to up and uttarakhand, where roads are pretty much non existent. So, in city I've never touched the under belly, but on highway with full load, I have had few scrapes. But I am not complaining. I also have driven dzire and i20 on same roads, which also scraped their underbellys.

Update:

The engine check light issue is back, drove 30 kms today put of which in 15 kms the light kept on irritating me. Won't have time before saturday, so i'll be going to give them the car on Saturday, for another hit and trial on my car, seriously frustrated now :(
Old 28th November 2013, 11:47   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Update:

The engine check light issue is back, drove 30 kms today put of which in 15 kms the light kept on irritating me. Won't have time before saturday, so i'll be going to give them the car on Saturday, for another hit and trial on my car, seriously frustrated now :(
Congrats Sameer on the new car. No doubt that Figo is the best VFM diesel hatch around with pretty decent interior space.

I am can understand your frustration with this engine check light issue. Somehow I feel that Ford technicians are not the most well trained guys to handle tricky problems. Obvious issues are easily solved but they falter in these tricky problems.
supertinu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2013, 21:11   #57
Senior - BHPian

Finally, shot a email to ford india. Let's what they replies, I hope they pay a heed to my email. I'll update once the replies comes.

Also, so far I've made a observation that, this light comes only when i am in traffic. On highways and early morning drives, where traffic is next to nil. The light doesn't comes. Issue with clutch or gearbox, maybe?

Do we have any sensor related to clutch in our car?
Old 30th November 2013, 01:14   #58
BHPian

Quote:

Also, so far I've made a observation that, this light comes only when i am in traffic. On highways and early morning drives, where traffic is next to nil. The light doesn't comes. Issue with clutch or gearbox, maybe?

Do we have any sensor related to clutch in our car?
Sorry to hear about the issue cropping up again Sameer.

Why can't this be related to any of the sensors related to ABC? Since the issue crops only in traffic.

Also I had a similar issue with my Palio last year and it was like, the check engine light would go on when the A pedal was pressed & released, then B pedal pressed & released again A pedal. Kind of how you go when you're approaching a signal or traffic thinking you have to stop but it clears as you approach.

The issue later identified was with my brake booster and the vacuum action in the brake was not working. Also there was a minor issue with the sensor for alternator.

Just my 2 cents to give you a different trend of thought. Hope your issue is identified soon. The biggest problem is not the actual fault, but not knowing what is the reason. And hopefully all its going to take is replacing a sensor or two under warranty :-)
Old 4th December 2013, 17:16   #59
Senior - BHPian

Update on engine check light issue :-

Thanks to my friend who is working with Tata insurance broking firm, dealing in ford preferred insurance in north area. I told him about the issue and he sent an email to regional service manage of north.

The customer relationship manage of astro ford, the dealership where my car goes for all work, called me up and told me he received my complaint from RSM and we fixed an appointment, for yesterday. I reached at fixed time and my car was in withing 5 mins and I was given job card in 10 mins. Full marks to astro ford on this.

They again scanned scanne car, again no error codes on ids device. Then they suspected some loose connector on one of the car's wiring, they checked all th the wiring and made sure no connector is loose. They again scanned the car but no errors again, then they took it on road test, the light didn't came then.

I took the car, drove around for 30 kms, but the light came again :(

So, called them up again and an appointment is fixed again for tomorrow, as today is off here in Delhi. Hope it goes out by tomorrow. Else, again i'll send an email to all the higher ups on ford, demanding to solve this issue asap, also i'll ask them to get me a replacement car till they make sure that issue won't crop up again. All in writing.

Don't know, whom to blame, this is one off case i've seen in any figo. The car is awesome no doubt, given a chance i'll pick this up again over a swift or i20. I hope it goes now for good.

I'll update once I get the car back tomorrow.
Old 4th December 2013, 19:32   #60
BHPian

Quote:

I took the car, drove around for 30 kms, but the light came again :(
So did the car went into the limp mode again after the CEL came?

Next time take a pic when the CEL comes and send it along with your mail to higher authorities requesting them to send some experienced technician.
There is definitely something wrong and the workshop chaps are missing something here.

Most Viewed