Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2013, 03:18   #16
BHPian

Re: "Herr Kampfpanzer" - The unfolding story of my Mercedes E220 (W124)

Great car. I love it. Congrats man. It sure has a decade at least left in it. Have a fantastic time together.

Regards.
Old 4th December 2013, 06:20   #17
AJo
BHPian

Hey BTB,
Wonderful narration! Evoked strong memories of PG Wodehouse & TBHP's Guderian. Herr KP certainly does stir up memories of a bygone era yet certainly holds his own with the cars of today. (Heil MB!)
Wishing you plenty of trouble free miles with Herr KP!
AJ
Old 4th December 2013, 10:34   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLOCT View Post
Great car. I love it. Congrats man. It sure has a decade at least left in it. Have a fantastic time together.

Regards.
Thanks doh! I'm hoping it has much more than a decade left in it! (I was serious about him following me to my grave!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJo View Post
Hey BTB,
Wonderful narration! Evoked strong memories of PG Wodehouse & TBHP's Guderian. Herr KP certainly does stir up memories of a bygone era yet certainly holds his own with the cars of today. (Heil MB!)
Wishing you plenty of trouble free miles with Herr KP!
AJ
No surprise then! I started reading of Bertie Wooster's antics as a 12 year old (thanks to my dad!) and now own every PG Wodehouse ever published! Gerald Durrell is another favourite and might thus explain my fascination with *period* pieces!

Thank you for your wishes and hope to see you around doh!

Cheers,
Ak
Old 4th December 2013, 12:29   #19
BHPian

What a car! Fantastic condition for 17 yr old! The body kit looks awesome, without being very flashy. You're a lucky fellow, to find one like this. I'd been searching for a good 124 for quite some time, the interests and keenness varying based on different financial conditions and parking space concerns etc., and couldn't find many in perfectly maintained conditions. This one is a real beauty.

Thanks for the detailed review. You're silently igniting something inside the hearts of 124 lovers!
Old 4th December 2013, 14:20   #20
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic review, thoroughly enjoyed reading it! You have lived upto your name 'Bite-the-bullet'. Well you've bitten the bullet and listened exactly to what your heart was saying. It's a great car indeed, and you will surely have lots of fun kilometers driving this Mercedes E220. Don't think too much about the fuel efficiency part, this is another car that's meant for pure driving pleasure and just meant to be enjoyed on the road. All the best and do keep the thread updated. 5 * rating for the thread!
Old 4th December 2013, 16:03   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bIte tHe bulLet View Post

If you’re choosing to pick up a 124 as a daily driver, stay with the stock size on the tyres and wheels. Don’t upsize.

Don’t upsize no matter how cool you think you look!

The loss of comfort and ride quality on Bombay roads is marked – and especially on city roads anywhere outside of the NCR. If I was in Delhi, this would be perfectly acceptable. Or if I was only going to use it as a weekend car (as did my friend who I bought it off from.) I wince every time I inadvertently go over one of our massively popular car breaker potholes, undulations, paver block mayhem infested roads. Apart from the loss of ride quality – the next big hit will be the suspension, which at 50k a pop on front and/or back can rack up to be quite expensive. I’m not sure how to deal with it at the moment, possibly stiffer springs that will protect the suspension and the cabin from the hell on the road. Exploring – and happy to take suggestions.

The one thing that has thrown me a little (and this comes from having driven diesels for now the better part of 6 years!) is how ferociously quickly the fuel gauge runs down! I’m about to tank up today, so will have a fairly good idea about the ubiquitious, “kitna mileage deti hai?” question! With all my previous cars, I’ve always topped up at every visit to the gas station and it’s become a habit. The 124 has a 70 l tank, so filling up is suddenly considerably pricier than it used to be… Going by what I can guess at now – I’m expecting to see fairly dismal figures in the low 4 to mid 5 kmpl range. But the traffic where I live is atrocious, which would be a big contributor to it. Keeping my fingers and toes crossed for now!
Don't fool yourself into thinking that you can live with 17 inch wheels in Delhi on a daily drive. Just doesn't work that way, and I speak from personal experience. Maybe the contributing factor is that the suspension is a Bilstein sports set up, along with the fact that the coil springs are the original German ones as opposed to the raised ones we got here in India. But 17 inches is no go in any case.

Easiest way to deal with it is a downgrade in size. Messing about with the springs and all will only cause a ridiculous expense. Also, stiffer springs will cause more stress to the body shell. Not something you should actively hunt for.

Expect anything between 6 and 9. My E220 has been surprising me with it's current FE due to the onset of winter. About 9.5.

EDIT — Congratulations on your buy, and I wish you many happy miles!

Last edited by Viraat13 : 4th December 2013 at 16:04.
Old 4th December 2013, 16:19   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Woah, Great car out there man it indeed is a fine example of timeless beauty

The M/T has made me jealous & also the rims

Enjoy !
Old 4th December 2013, 17:02   #23
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on your buy Wish you many more happy Miles with him.

BTW I like to refer my cars as SHE. I call my 220 Betz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viraat13 View Post

Expect anything between 6 and 9. My E220 has been surprising me with it's current FE due to the onset of winter. About 9.5.
Expect Anything.

My gives around 11+ in City with a very light foot. Regular Driving she gives 8 with A/C and 9 Without. and On Highway it gives 16 Easily if driven sensibly.

Worst I have got is 5.
Old 4th December 2013, 20:25   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M View Post
What a car! Fantastic condition for 17 yr old! The body kit looks awesome, without being very flashy. You're a lucky fellow, to find one like this.

Thanks for the detailed review. You're silently igniting something inside the hearts of 124 lovers!
Thank you! I have the previous owner to thank for the mods. He's as crazy about his cars as I am - therefore the connect was instantaneous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
Fantastic review, thoroughly enjoyed reading it! You have lived upto your name 'Bite-the-bullet'.

Don't think too much about the fuel efficiency part, this is another car that's meant for pure driving pleasure and just meant to be enjoyed on the road.
Thank you so much for taking the time to read it in the first place!!!

I don't care a hoot for the fuel efficiency (and never have on any of my rides) because I fervently believe that your car/bike/scooter whatever must talk to your soul - else, it's just a mode of transportation. Which is when you start to worry about "kitna deti hai!!!"

Hope to see you around!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viraat13 View Post
Don't fool yourself into thinking that you can live with 17 inch wheels in Delhi on a daily drive. Just doesn't work that way, and I speak from personal experience. Maybe the contributing factor is that the suspension is a Bilstein sports set up, along with the fact that the coil springs are the original German ones as opposed to the raised ones we got here in India. But 17 inches is no go in any case.

EDIT — Congratulations on your buy, and I wish you many happy miles!
Thank you for the congratulations!

I've always maintained that the 17's are a very bad idea on the W124. They destroy the fantastic ride the 124 is known for...My point was that if you are hell bent on going down that road, the NCR is possibly the only place that will forgive you - a little bit

No offense intended but I'm a South Delhi boy too - so I speak from a lot of experience as well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Woah, Great car out there man it indeed is a fine example of timeless beauty
It is indeed!!! A W124 on the road is guaranteed to make my head turn anywhere in the world... Thank you for your wishes!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by manikjeet View Post
Congratulations on your buy Wish you many more happy Miles with him.

BTW I like to refer my cars as SHE. I call my 220 Betz
Every car/bike I have owned, driven all over the world has always had the feminine gender when referenced to by myself - because that's what it always has been traditionally.

This one - just begs to be called a chest thumping man. Each to his own as they say!

I've followed your 124 stories closely too, so thank you!
Old 4th December 2013, 21:10   #25
BHPian

hi BTB, congratulations on the Herr Kampfpanzer

the love affair with the W's is never ending. A great write up with the images.

Waiting for more updates from you
krichared is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2013, 21:31   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bIte tHe bulLet View Post

I've always maintained that the 17's are a very bad idea on the W124. They destroy the fantastic ride the 124 is known for...My point was that if you are hell bent on going down that road, the NCR is possibly the only place that will forgive you - a little bit

No offence intended but I'm a South Delhi boy too - so I speak from a lot of experience as well...
The European spec coil springs and the sports suspension set up on my 300E along with the 17 inch probably account for the harsher ride as opposed to the India spec stock set up with 17 inch. Having said that, my E220 is bog standard, with the stock 15 inch rims, and the ride is just so much better. I notice so many more pimple faced surfaces and bumps in the 300E, whereas I don't even realise those in the E220, even on our relatively pristine south Delhi roads!

By the way, what sized tyres are you running? They look massive!
Old 4th December 2013, 23:35   #27
BHPian

Living with the W124 - part deux

I’ve quickly adjusted to living with my W124. My car cleaner has been given a separate bucket (exclusively to be used for Herr Kampfpanzer) along with 3 different cloths. One to wash the top with. One to wash the bottom (and wheels/tyres) with and the third to wipe it all down to dry off. And these are in addition to what I have for myself by the way!!!

And he will adhere to the instructions, because he walks my dog in the afternoons (when I’m not there) and is being paid a handsome little premium to be gently with the 124

"Herr Kampfpanzer" - The unfolding story of my Mercedes E220 (W124)-key-happiness-bw.jpg
the key to my happiness!

I even gathered my courage and took the car where there was unsecured parking! My heart of course skipped a beat – half dreading that I’d lose both my badges, or some nincompoop will come and gleefully run a key down one side of the body. Thankfully, my fears were unfounded and I felt like a bit of a klutz.

*But then, what’s new with that you ask?*

I love the fact that the doors need more than a little heft to shut. My better half invariably leaves her front door open, because she’s used to me cussing like a sailor, if the kids or she ever slammed the doors on our earlier cars. For the first time in my life, I’m saying things like, “Do you mind shutting the door” or even, “What’s the matter, forgot to eat *insert appropriate meal according to time of day here*?”

It’s a wonder I’ve not had myself an a*se whupping already! It must be the serenity inside the W124 to credit then…!

"Herr Kampfpanzer" - The unfolding story of my Mercedes E220 (W124)-steering-airbag-bw.jpg
I remain protected...

And it is indeed a serene place to be in! People talk of the cabin feeling like a vault? I can safely say it feels like a tank (although a whole blasted - pun unintended, lot quieter!) And I’ve been in a tank – numerous times, therefore I am qualified to draw the comparison.

Yeah yeah…I could already see 30 chappies grinning evilly, fingers itching to start typing about how I was so full of it.

*Hah*

The other day on our way into town to meet up with some friends, there was this very strange shuddering sound – which I felt was coming from the passenger door. I was most intrigued and more than a little pained, since I’d sung all these paeans about the silent nature of the ride. Apart from which, it was just plain ticking me off… till we realized that the little shudder was coming from the front interior lights console. A gentle push upwards and voila – the cabin was back to being ummmmm silent!

For such a large car, it is actually very easy to maneuver around tight roads. Only the thought of someone rubbing up against the paintwork actually keeps me from taking it into places where I regularly took my Safari and Linea into. I’m still getting to grips with the rear end of the car – and I still struggle to judge where my a$$ is.

*That’s of course not to mention the number of times I’ve been called one, ever since the car arrived in the garage!*

However, every single one of those bozos who’s called me an a$$ – has been frog marched down to the car, and they have all unanimously gulped and then melted like newly formed jelly. With the sole exception of one lady friend, who blurted out, “Marry me.”

I had to politely decline.

It broke her heart too.

Nevertheless. We still remain friends!

"Herr Kampfpanzer" - The unfolding story of my Mercedes E220 (W124)-right-side-profile-bw.jpg
Ufff....

Small bits – on our way into a hotel lobby, security asked us to open the bonnet. A completely reasonable request really – except that I’d forgotten that the bonnet release was in the passenger footwell. Leading to much (previously mentioned) sailor like cussing as I scrambled and scrabbled in the driver side footwell, seat and other areas, making myself look further like an a$$ (also previously mentioned!); till a little light bulb went off in the recesses of my seldom used brain.

Result being that I began furiously gesticulating to the wife – she on the other hand thought I was having a heart attack. Made for an interesting sight I should think…till I leaned over, inelegantly squishing myself past knees and assorted limbs, to finally pull the release handle to the hood as the Americans would call it.

I might have imagined it, but I seem to recollect one of the security chaps mutter, “Plonker” under his breath – or the Hindi iteration of it for sure!

"Herr Kampfpanzer" - The unfolding story of my Mercedes E220 (W124)-e220-badging-bw.jpg
2.2 ltrs of driving pleasure!

The unequal sized mirrors. I used to think that was just German silliness. But by God, it is a God sent! It does take a bit to get just right, so you get almost a full view of your left rear. You would still need to do a quick look over the shoulder before changing lanes, because a huge blind spot exists between the B pillar and the A pillar on the rear view mirror. But – the tucked in size is superb for the fact that errant motorcyclists, idiot rickshaw drivers, ever rushing pedestrians and the odd damn fool do not foul with the mirror. Even when they deliberately try to! Add to that, the ruddy odd shaped mirrors do look bizarrely cool too!

One huge negative I’ve figured (after my last night sojourn) is that Herr Kampfpanzer wears the headlight bulbs that were handed out to the Polish army in the 2nd world war. Oh. my. God. It’s like playing a bit of a guessing game of whether the big bump you just felt was a gap in the road, or someone you’d just dispatched to the nether world, after having run the sorry sod over.

Osram Nightbreakers.
Tomorrow.
(I’d do it tonight but I’d probably run over most of the Goregaon street dwellers, just getting to the darned shop!!!)

"Herr Kampfpanzer" - The unfolding story of my Mercedes E220 (W124)-wheel-bw.jpg
It goes round and round and round...

More. Later.

Last edited by bIte tHe bulLet : 4th December 2013 at 23:45. Reason: Formatting OCD!!!
bIte tHe bulLet is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th December 2013, 00:29   #28
BHPian

Avinash,

Glad the 124 is with someone who shall treasure her / him for a long long time. Looking at the snaps just made me wonder why the decision to sell was made to start with. May you have many enjoyable miles in 9717.

And of course, my compliments on a superb thread. The writer in you sure does come to the fore

Cheers
Ravi

Note from Support - Please use the Multi-Quote feature (link (How to MULTI-QUOTE (when replying to a thread) on Team-BHP)) to reply to multiple posts, instead of submitting back to back posts. You can also Edit your post within 30 mins of submitting it to add more content to your original post.

Last edited by n_aditya : 10th December 2013 at 12:32.
Old 5th December 2013, 01:26   #29
BHPian

Whoever said that a review can't be comprehensive AND interesting, should definitely check this thread. Wonderfully written

I don't think it will be an exaggeration if I say that this is one of the most (trying to be a bit diplomatic) interesting reviews I have read on the forum.

The guessing game part shouldn't be too tough especially when you have the experience of Linea's headlamps. I once had to attend a wedding in Meerut and during the return journey, I covered the entire NH58 on a wing and a prayer.

Look forward to reading more interesting posts on this (and many other) thread(s).
Biraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2013, 12:40   #30
BHPian

Wonderully written post, and an absolutely stunning automobile. I've always dreamt of owning a vehicle like this, and this post has only strengthened my resolve. There's something inherently special about it, that can't be put into words. However would W124' still be a sound investment 5 years down the line, or will they be too old by then, since owners have already started using cheaper spares etc?

Last edited by KhalDrogo : 5th December 2013 at 12:55.
KhalDrogo is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks