Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2013, 23:44   #91
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_skyliner View Post

That was seriously quick! Thanks

Do you know any good product to clean the leather seats? I want to preserve the original leather smell and don't want an overpowering smelling products.
Yes i do know quite of them. Give me some time, i'll post links along with product reviews.
Old 27th December 2013, 17:34   #92
BHPian

Hi drmohitg,

Do you know the date of manufacturing of your car?

The car that has been alloted to me has VIN which points to Oct-2012 as production date. SA said that it is not an issue as that is the date of kit manufacturing in Germany and assembly has been done recently.

RC will show Oct-2013 as date of manufacturing.

Do you think it makes sense?

@akshay1234, your inputs would also be helpful.
Old 27th December 2013, 17:40   #93
BHPian

Re: BMW 320d: Joy comes home, My ultimate 3

Quote:
Hi drmohitg,

The car that has been alloted to me has VIN which points to Oct-2012 as production date. SA said that it is not an issue as that is the date of kit manufacturing in Germany and assembly has been done recently.

I doubt that vehicles are marked by assembly dates and not manufacturing dates. Even if the vehicle was not assembled, it was made in Oct 2012 and hence that is the date you should be considering.

Anyhow, highly doubt that a chassis manufactured in 2012 was lying around without assembly for a whole year.

I smell something fishy here.
akhilesh51 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2013, 17:45   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi drmohitg,

I am sorry I am not sure. Here are my car's details as decoded by Wildon by the VIN:

Make : BMW
Model: 320D
Color : IMPERIALBLAU BRILLANTEFFEKT METALLI
Production Date : 05.07.2013

Do make sure you are not getting an older car. Even my dealer had stock from 2012 and he was willing to offer more discount on the same. Tread carefully.

Also may be you can ask them for the invoice copy of there purchase of your car from BMW Chennai. I got the same from my dealer and it clearly showed the dealer placed the order for it in September,2013 and received the same in October,2013 at his place. And then the same car was billed to me by the Dealer in November,2013.

Last edited by drmohitg : 27th December 2013 at 17:47.
drmohitg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th December 2013, 17:50   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh51 View Post

I doubt that vehicles are marked by assembly dates and not manufacturing dates. Even if the vehicle was not assembled, it was made in Oct 2012 and hence that is the date you should be considering.

Anyhow, highly doubt that a chassis manufactured in 2012 was lying around without assembly for a whole year.

I smell something fishy here.
The car was billed to dealer two weeks ago by factory. SA is ready to show me the proof.

@drmohitg, my dealer is willing to show me the proof which shows he was billed in December for that car. Feature wise I am confused because in Wildon's report it shows that it has "Hi-Fi" speaker system which was missing in 2012 320d cars as far as I know.

Last edited by the_skyliner : 27th December 2013 at 17:56.
Old 27th December 2013, 17:56   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The car was billed to dealer two weeks ago by factory. SA is ready to show me the proof.
Go ahead with it then. Atleast you know that the car was not lying idle at the dealership's yard for long. Also the fact that any new car that will be dispatched now will come with the higher price tag makes it a no brainer. But do see that invoice and match the VIN mentioned on it with the one allotted to you. Enjoy your ride!
Old 27th December 2013, 17:59   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post

Go ahead with it then. Atleast you know that the car was not lying idle at the dealership's yard for long. Also the fact that any new car that will be dispatched now will come with the higher price tag makes it a no brainer. But do see that invoice and match the VIN mentioned on it with the one allotted to you. Enjoy your ride!
Thanks mate!
I will check the proof and along with that will do a detailed PDI. The SA is very helpful and said he will not go ahead with registration unless I am satisfied with everything.
Old 27th December 2013, 18:24   #98
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi drmohitg,

If you have checked the VIN through an online service then it will show the date of the manufacturing of the kit in Germany. That is then shipped here and assembled here, so the actual assembly takes place upto even a few months later. The dealer would be able to get the exact date of assembly in India, so ask to see it on their system or get the info from their service people.

I think its a perfectly fine car to get, its definitely not 2012 stock.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2013, 01:54   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do you know any good product to clean the leather seats? I want to preserve the original leather smell and don't want an overpowering smelling products.
I'm using Meguiars Gold Class Leather Cleaner & Conditioner for both leather as well as leatherette. Cleans & conditions the leather and even protects it by making it supple. You could purchase it online as well. Link.

I would suggest never to wash car unless its quite dirty and rather wipe dust using Jopasu duster and do quick detailing to keep it nice & shinning. Washing a car on daily basis is a sin and it causes more harm than any benefit.

For car wash shampoo you could use Amway, Meguiars Hyper Wash or Sonax.

I too would second Sameerg thought's, as buying BMW car detailing products would not be worth. You could instead get other BMW merchandise. As such BMW doesn't manufacturers car products but instead has them repacked in its own brand label for which you pay a higher price. You could get the same or better product for far less from outside shops or e-shops.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2014, 06:08   #100
BHPian

Congratulations for upgrading to the luxury segment however unexpected it might have been (ritz to 3 series !), but it's great that you finally were able to get a good deal on the great car that you had originally wanted. BTW, sorry for being so late in congratulating was busy in exams and stuff so was not following TBHP regularly.

A couple of questions -

1.) Which temple did you visit for the puja of the car ?

2.) In all the pics the registration number (DL 12) is the same except one where you again mentioned a thanks to your father (DL 7), was the first one a temporary number as I was wondering even 0101 is a good number even if you couldn't get 9779 ?

3.) The shades for the rear seat, are they electric or manual ?

Once again a heartiest congratulations on the amazing car and this current generation certainly is a stunner.
Old 4th January 2014, 10:30   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishalchaudhary View Post

1.) Which temple did you visit for the puja of the car ?
Thanks for the wishes. We went to the temple located near the ridge road. You stay close to that place?

Quote:
2.) In all the pics the registration number (DL 12) is the same except one where you again mentioned a thanks to your father (DL 7), was the first one a temporary number as I was wondering even 0101 is a good number even if you couldn't get 9779 ?
Haha 0101 is a VIP number buddy. I would have been more than happy if I got that. But alas those were Temporary plates. The real number that I got alloted was 9779 as its the same number that my Altis also sports. But due to the dealership error I couldn't get it. And since I had specially gone to Delhi to take delivery of the car, I made the dealership release the car on TC plates as I was in no mood to wait another couple of days for the registration due to there mess up.

Quote:
3.) The shades for the rear seat, are they electric or manual ?
The rear windscreen's shade is electric but the rear side window shades are manual.
Old 5th January 2014, 10:59   #102
BHPian

Congrats Dr Mohit for the wonderful ride.

Base 320d is in my opinion is a much better buy then the highlines as now it comes with everything which is needed in a BMW and just leaves out some features which are cosmetic or have lot utility.

whats your experience with the RFTs till now and how is the GC? are you avoiding broken or potholed roads or they are just dismissed?

You did a mistake by letting your dad take the driver's wheel from day1. It will be impossible now to make him give up the car and one who gets the keys is the defacto owner
Old 5th January 2014, 22:17   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharadmumbai View Post
Base 320d is in my opinion is a much better buy then the highlines as now it comes with everything which is needed in a BMW and just leaves out some features which are cosmetic or have lot utility.
+1. With the addition of xenons the baseline makes most sense. The only few things that you miss are the Sports seats ( wish they costed less) and a few small things like puddle lights outside and the Alloys ofcourse.

Quote:
whats your experience with the RFTs till now and how is the GC? are you avoiding broken or potholed roads or they are just dismissed?
Car hasn't run much yet so cannot comment on the RFT experience. So far has been good. My cars generally run on decent roads so chances of puncture are less. Anyways as I posted earlier I don't think RFTs are all that bad barring the price. When its time to change, I will surely opt for regular tubeless unless the price difference is not significant.

The GC is 158mm on paper ( I think) but in reality its not all that bad. Due to the harder suspension set up, the car doesn't scrap that easily. Then ofcourse as I mentioned earlier roads in Delhi are fairly decent and speed breakers are not monstrous. Still I sometimes use crawling speeds and a diagonal approach whenever I encounter a gigantic breaker just to be on the safer side.

Quote:
You did a mistake by letting your dad take the driver's wheel from day1. It will be impossible now to make him give up the car and one who gets the keys is the defacto owner
He is loving the car. Infact its me who is telling him these days to not get excited and go easy at times and he replies back saying- " This car is meant to be driven like this ". He has taken a real strong liking to the sports mode.
Old 8th January 2014, 01:41   #104
Senior - BHPian

Mohit, your thread has cost me a lot of money...

Same car, same colour, same model, delivery taken last Friday.

p.s. Thank you so much for all your patience and all your help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I am sorry I am not sure. Here are my car's details as decoded by Wildon by the VIN:

Make : BMW
Model: 320D
Color : IMPERIALBLAU BRILLANTEFFEKT METALLI
Production Date : 05.07.2013
I found this VIN decoded to be very detailed. http://www.bmwarchiv.de/vin/bmw-vin-decoder.html

My car was manufactured on the 3rd of September 2013.

Last edited by moralfibre : 8th January 2014 at 07:54. Reason: Back to back posts.
AbhiJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2014, 06:25   #105
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
Mohit, your thread has cost me a lot of money...

Same car, same colour, same model, delivery taken last Friday.

p.s. Thank you so much for all your patience and all your help.
Many many congratulations again to you. You will thank me everytime now when you take her out for a drive.

Do post some pics too and a review would be most welcome.

Thanks for that VIN link. Its pretty detailed.

Most Viewed