Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2013, 09:52   #16
BHPian

Re: An Avalanche : My Candy White Skoda Rapid 1.6 TDI

[*] The headlights are not very powerful.

The palio & other cars which use separate bulbs & reflectors for high & low beams have both of them turned on when the switch is in the high beam position, which someone once told me was in violation of cmvr rules, not sure about it though. In a vehicle that has only a single bulb for both high & low beams, only one filament is lit at a time. So naturally it wont give the high beam spread of the double barrel ones in which both high & low beams are turned on with the high beam switch. The rapids fog lamp beams are focused at a very low level in stock position. Raise its focus just enough ( a simple DIY job) so as not to dazzle the on coming traffic & you can see a marked improvement in night vision.
As regarding your fog light switch issue, the pulled out switch should just snap back in position while turning off all the lamps. I tried to achieve your feat but the moment i took off fingers from the switch, it snapped into off. Get your switch changed under warranty if it is defective.
crdi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2013, 10:01   #17
BHPian

Oh, just forgot to tell one thing. My cars (ambition trim) MID was showing average consumption & DTE instead of outside temperature, for a few days after a battery re-connection and the it went back to the temperature mode on its own. So i guess it should be a simple software job to get this info on MID as all the hardware seems to be there.
Old 16th December 2013, 13:32   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crdi View Post
Oh, just forgot to tell one thing. My cars (ambition trim) MID was showing average consumption & DTE instead of outside temperature, for a few days after a battery re-connection and the it went back to the temperature mode on its own. So i guess it should be a simple software job to get this info on MID as all the hardware seems to be there.
Is it so? This is the first time I am reading/hearing this across many forums I have read so far.
If it "can" display MID, the Service Center should be able to configure the same via VCDS, which is user to configure other parameters like auto door locking at 10mph etc.
Did you ask Service center about the same?
Also, was it showing correct figures or just Random values?
Old 16th December 2013, 14:17   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaideepshinh View Post
I would suggest getting it done on insurance from Skoda- i've gotten mine done for 2.5k from skoda for my Octavia RS. Insurance covered the rest.

2.5k breakup-
1k for the insurance claim fee
1.5k for the windshield glue (silicon glue, highly overpriced. but who cares)

The windshield is the only glass which is covered 100% no matter what the age of the car is in all comprehensive insurance packages. (This was till some time ago. I hope the policy hasnt changed)
Thanks for the details. Yes, I will most likely go with Skoda to change the windshield. Meanwhile, I managed to get the quotes. The quotes mentioned below includes the windshield cost, consumables and fitting charges.

Skoda : Rs.8300
Windshield Experts : Rs.6900
Windshield World : Rs.12500 (Exorbitant)

So, it looks like going with Skoda is the best option. Also, I had planned for the first service at around 12000 km than the stipulated 15000 km and since the car has covered 11000 km, it makes sense to complete the service and the windshield replacement.

Quote:
The rapids fog lamp beams are focused at a very low level in stock position. Raise its focus just enough ( a simple DIY job) so as not to dazzle the on coming traffic & you can see a marked improvement in night vision.
Sorry for my ignorance, but how do I do this? Is it possible to do such adjustments manually?

Quote:
As regarding your fog light switch issue, the pulled out switch should just snap back in position while turning off all the lamps. I tried to achieve your feat but the moment i took off fingers from the switch, it snapped into off. Get your switch changed under warranty if it is defective.
I guess I need to check the same in my car and if it is defective, will replace it. Thanks a lot.
spradheep is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2013, 20:30   #20
BHPian

Ordered the below items from eBay.

1.Car Cover for Rapid : Rs.690. Fits fine and worth the money. I would not be using it regularly and need it only when I travel to my native.
2.Silicon case for the key : Rs.270. Looks different in blue color.
Attached Thumbnails
An Avalanche : My Candy White Skoda Rapid 1.6 TDI-20131216_200326.jpg  

Old 17th December 2013, 11:29   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by achopraa View Post
Is it so? This is the first time I am reading/hearing this across many forums I have read so far.
If it "can" display MID, the Service Center should be able to configure the same via VCDS, which is user to configure other parameters like auto door locking at 10mph etc.
Did you ask Service center about the same?
Also, was it showing correct figures or just Random values?
Once a frantic search for the key, after not using the car for a couple of days made me realize that i had left the ignition in on with the blower fan running and the battery was drained off. The assistance guy jump started the car & took the battery for a recharge. After this incident, I saw the Avge. & DTE on the MID for a few days. When I mentioned it at the service station, they made me feel like an ass & said that I probably would have mistaken the service reminder for the average & DTE . I am pretty sure that was not the case.
Old 17th December 2013, 11:38   #22
BHPian

@spradheep
The car manual shows how to remove the fog lamp unit. Behind the lamp, there is a black knob like thing with a long stalk .Turn the thing clockwise to raise the beam. If you are able to locate the knob, you can do it even without removing the lamp unit. The whole procedure doesn't require even a single tool.
crdi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2013, 17:02   #23
BHPian

I have decided to get the windshield replaced at Skoda service centre itself and dropped the car for the same and also the first service at Vinayak Motors. The quote is Rs.8300 for windshield replacement and Rs.8000 for the service. I have also mentioned the problem of some noise when AC is ON and during acceleration. Also informed them not to do wheel alignment or balancing since I got it done recently at Madhus.
Old 18th December 2013, 15:07   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spradheep View Post
An unfortunate incident happened this week. When I was driving in Bangalore-Chennai highway, some stones from the lorry in front of me hit the windshield.
Careful man, lot of these lorries are overloaded carrying big stones in open and it is very dangerous. They are not bothered about lives, but stay 100 metres behind such lorries.
Old 18th December 2013, 16:28   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spradheep View Post
I have decided to get the windshield replaced at Skoda service centre itself and dropped the car for the same and also the first service at Vinayak Motors. The quote is Rs.8300 for windshield replacement and Rs.8000 for the service. I have also mentioned the problem of some noise when AC is ON and during acceleration. Also informed them not to do wheel alignment or balancing since I got it done recently at Madhus.
Are you taking the Insurance or paying from own?
8300 doesn't sound too much and I think the same can be saved in next years NCB. What is your thought?
Is yours a Zero Dep insurance and from which company?
Old 18th December 2013, 17:45   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandCruiser View Post
Careful man, lot of these lorries are overloaded carrying big stones in open and it is very dangerous. They are not bothered about lives, but stay 100 metres behind such lorries.
Yes, but actually the lorry did not have any load. They probably transported some construction materials earlier and did not clean the container properly and there were some stones remained. I was quite some distance behind in the middle lane and when the lorry changed lanes from rightmost to middle, a volley of stones rained on the oncoming vehicles. Some stones hit my car and other cars behind also but unfortunately my car's windshield got the "killer" stone. But you are right, need to be very careful especially with the overloaded lorries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by achopraa View Post
Are you taking the Insurance or paying from own?
8300 doesn't sound too much and I think the same can be saved in next years NCB. What is your thought?
Is yours a Zero Dep insurance and from which company?
This time I did not go with insurance because I had to get the signature and seal from HR (insurance is from the employer) which would have delayed the process by one day. I wanted the car next day since I have planned some trips. If insurance, I should have paid Rs.3500 and the remaining would have been covered. My insurance is from Future Generali.
Old 18th December 2013, 19:47   #27
BHPian

Congratulations pradheep on your Rapid. This car is great to drive. Wishing you thousands of happy and safe miles on this car!

Cheers
Baddychat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2013, 20:54   #28
BHPian

Got the car back after the first service and windshield replacement.
Attaching the summary of the costs incurred so far.

First Free Checkup

Odometer : 6600 km
Cost : Rs.3841

Since the car was dirty inside and lot of tar marks on the exteriors (which did not go away with normal washing), I had opted for Interior cleaning and waxing.

An Avalanche : My Candy White Skoda Rapid 1.6 TDI-free_checkup.jpeg

First Free Service

Odometer : 10800 km
Cost : Rs.7392

Issues : Noise with AC on acceleration.
Status : It is now resolved, not sure what was the problem though.

An Avalanche : My Candy White Skoda Rapid 1.6 TDI-service_1.jpeg

Accident Repairs

1.Dent tinkering and painting (Right rear quarter panel) : Rs.7000
2.Windshield Replacement : Rs.8371

An Avalanche : My Candy White Skoda Rapid 1.6 TDI-dent_repair.jpegAn Avalanche : My Candy White Skoda Rapid 1.6 TDI-windshield_replacement.jpeg
Old 19th December 2013, 10:42   #29
BHPian

Some interesting observations, Skoda doesnt seem to charge for labor for replacing filters etc, but VW does. Also one to one comparison of parts seem to suggest VW is roughly about 12% higher!

Link to my service bill: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3322599

Comparison of some part prices between the two bills:

Engine oil: Rapid - 3530, Vento - 4170, Percentage diff 15.35%
Filter element: Rapid - 334, Vento - 383, Percentage diff 12.79%
Pollen Filter: Rapid - 579, Vento - 664, Percentage diff 12.80%
Fuel Filter: Rapid - 1124, Vento - 1287, Percentage diff 12.67%
Air filter: Rapid - 342, Vento - 392, Percentage diff 12.76%
LandCruiser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2013, 13:23   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandCruiser View Post
Some interesting observations, Skoda doesnt seem to charge for labor for replacing filters etc, but VW does. Also one to one comparison of parts seem to suggest VW is roughly about 12% higher!

Link to my service bill: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3322599

Comparison of some part prices between the two bills:

Engine oil: Rapid - 3530, Vento - 4170, Percentage diff 15.35%
Filter element: Rapid - 334, Vento - 383, Percentage diff 12.79%
Pollen Filter: Rapid - 579, Vento - 664, Percentage diff 12.80%
Fuel Filter: Rapid - 1124, Vento - 1287, Percentage diff 12.67%
Air filter: Rapid - 342, Vento - 392, Percentage diff 12.76%
No, your Vento bill has the Final amount written with VAT included whereas for the Skoda bill, VAT is added at the end of bill.
Check the initial price in your bill. It is same for Rapid.
Good to see that same part numbers have been priced equally.
achopraa is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks