Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2014, 12:10   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

re: My Black VW Vento TSI. Update: 1 year & 11000 kms report on Page 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpudhi View Post
Yes I was also aware of this. But the SA particularly told that the ex showroom is 9.99 to save tax for customers and asked me to shift to Vento. But not 100% sure as I didn't go for the vento.
Yes, you are right. When my dealer messed my shadow blue booking, they offered to enable a lower price by reducing the Ex Showroom to 9.99 Ex Bangalore and pass on the benefits of the lower tax.

Guess we need to wait for the inputs of folks in the process of buying.
Old 16th January 2014, 20:19   #62
BHPian

hi
asked the show room people regarding the correct ex-showroom price; they are maintaining it at 10.17lacs since the model was introduced and expecting a hike from maybe the 20th of january.
9.99 lacs is only for delhi according to them.
anyways getting delivery by monday/tuesday; will put up the correct price breakdown if anyone needs it.
Old 16th January 2014, 20:58   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Summary of Fuel Efficiency Numbers so far. Data Captured using the Fuelio App (Got to know of this App via posts from bhpian stumpz. Thank you). All the running between fill-ups was a mix of highway and city. The lower km/l numbers are when the in city runs were on the higher side. Breaking it up into only highway and only city numbers, the best highway number was ~17km/l and the worst city number was ~9km/l

My Black VW Vento TSI. EDIT: 9 years and 71,000 km up!-ventomileage_stats.jpg
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2014, 09:43   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Summary of Fuel Efficiency Numbers so far. Data Captured using the Fuelio App (Got to know of this App via posts from bhpian stumpz. Thank you). All the running between fill-ups was a mix of highway and city. The lower km/l numbers are when the in city runs were on the higher side. Breaking it up into only highway and only city numbers, the best highway number was ~17km/l and the worst city number was ~9km/l
Guys, Even I get close to 13kmpl(in my Polo TSi). Octavia owners(1.8 TSi) are claiming around 13kmpl. My earlier expectation was 1.2 should have more FE than 1.8. But, they seem to be marginally different(I was expecting around 30% difference in FE because of the engine size, and also considering size of the cars)!

Note:I am not saying I am not happy with the 1.2 TSi mileage. I am very happy with the mileage(Even in my older petrol swift I used to get similar mileage). I was only comparing between siblings(1.2 TSi and 1.8 TSi)
Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Almost 5k kms in just under 2.5 months is some run! Avg. fuel economy over the entire period is 13.0 kmpl. Which given a 50-50 city to highway ratio is decent and under 1.5 kmpl range of the ARAI certified mileage.

Last edited by shetty_rohan : 17th January 2014 at 09:51.
Old 11th February 2014, 10:31   #65
BHPian

hi

Just wanted to input my fuel efficiency figures.

i got about 15km/l on my first full tank which included almost an equal share of city as well as sedate highway runs.

i recently did a 900 km trip which included about 150 km of narrow single lane state highways and the remaining 4 lane national highways and got about 16 km/l.

I did notice that the fuel efficiency is best when driven between 80-100 km/hour .
Old 11th February 2014, 22:29   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantis0965 View Post
hi

Just wanted to input my fuel efficiency figures.

I did notice that the fuel efficiency is best when driven between 80-100 km/hour .
Yes, Agree. The best efficiency seems to be around the 80-90 mark. Guess this i s true for most cars. My FE summary @~3000km:

Heavy city traffic with lots of crawling in 1-2nd gear: ~9 kmpl
Moderately heavy traffic where there are frequent stretches where it is possible to maintain at least 40 kmph: 12-13 kmpl
Highways: 15-17 kmpl.
Old 8th March 2014, 22:23   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: My Black VW Vento TSI: 3 month, 4000 km. Update on Pg 5

Just over 3 months since I got the car and a few km short of 4000Km. Felt this is was a good time for the next update.

Car Updates
  • The Bad news first: had a minor accident where I slightly bumped an alto from behind. Happened in my home town. The Alto was stopped in front due to the road being blocked by another vehicle in front, once that was cleared, he started moving and for some reason braked suddenly again. I was too close and bumped him. It was basically my fault and was very disappointed since I had never bumped anyone with any of my previous cars. The sound was pretty loud and expected some damage ,also braced myself a big scene as I was in the bigger car, KA Regn, hit from behind and it happened in the most crowded road in Calicut at a peak time of 5PM. On top of all that, I was alone with my daughter in her car seat. Only good thing was that it was my local city. But I turned out to be lucky, the only damage was a cracked number plate and no other scratches or damage to the body. In addition as I stopped and got out, before I went to check any damage to the Alto, he told me go. I grabbed the chance and took off. I guess there was no damage to the alto also and the alto guy was probably worried that I would argue with him about the broken plate.
  • So, after pottering around in the city for a month and a half and ~500KM, Got a chance to go on a long drive as a trip to my home town came up. I actually had the option of going by train as tickets were available, but did not even consider it. Would not miss a chance to stretch the TSI’s legs on great roads.
  • So that trip added ~1000KM and now at just over 3 months, find myself at the ~4000 mark. This has been a mix of ~35% City Driving-Mostly in heavy traffic and lot of bumper to bumper traffic and remaining 65% Highway Driving-Primarily 2 lane highways with ghat and forest sections and with varying amounts of traffic.
  • The engine seems to have opened up further, the acceleration and pickup seemed better than my last drive (It was already pretty great).
  • The DSG continues to impress. Since I am now more familiar with the response and shifts, was not forced to shift to S or Manual mode during the highway rides. Most overtaking maneuvers are comfortably handled in D mode itself. The S mode and Manual Mode driving so far has been for my own enjoyment and not dictated by the circumstances.
  • Noticed that in D mode the DSG is not a one dimensional shift up and down just to maintain efficiency, and actually seems to be doing some ‘learning and adjusting’ based on the conditions. For example when I am driving a stretch where I am varying speed (say between 30kmph and 70kmph due to traffic), the DSG seems to learn based on this info and accordingly starts delaying the shifts slightly in D mode. It is not anywhere close to S mode, just a slight delay. Another example: I was climbing up a ghat, noticed that the gear would stick to max 4 in D mode at speeds of ~50kmph. On a level stretch, at 50kmph, the gear is typically in 6. This meant I really did not need to go into S/Manual mode to handle the ghats.
  • Passengers felt the long distance drive to be more comfortable due to the low NVH levels and the smooth shifts.
  • There is a noticeable reduction in time taken for my regular journeys under the same conditions at the same max speeds. Not really surprising, the TSI accelerates in no time and the DSG obviously can shift quicker and more efficiently than I can. So expect to cover distances faster and it’s not by going faster (Although you can do that too)
  • Earlier had felt that the AC was not great, but now having identified the way it works best, don’t find it an issue anymore.
  • Have not got around to upgrading the bulbs, so the headlights continue to be a bother. Especially felt during night driving on undivided Kerala roads with heavy traffic
  • Average mileage for the highway part of the last trip was ~14.5. This was slightly lesser than the last trip. I attribute it to the fact that the car was fully loaded this time and I was also driving with a slightly heavy foot. Lifetime mileage so far captured in the table below. Pretty happy so far. The numbers are significantly better than what I used to get with my SX4. The large tank capacity of 55liters also helps.
My Black VW Vento TSI. EDIT: 9 years and 71,000 km up!-ventomileage_stats_march2014.jpg

Other Points
  • Happy that I switched from the Polo TSI to the Vento TSI. The 2 key advantages the Vento has- Rear Seat space and comfort and boot space have ended up being critical advantages for me.
  • Maintaining Black is a challenge. Reduced the car washing in the apartment to once a week. Bought a Jopasu Duster to dust on daily basis. Need to lean more on washing, detailing and maintenance.
  • Happy with the Philadelphia HU, but disappointed with MapMyIndia maps. Found that in many cases it is not recommending the standard route (Tested on Bangalore Roads). Also, it does not have the coverage google maps has. So, off the major Highways in Kerala, it was not able to suggest routes which Google Maps was able to do. So not able to confidently rely on it. Prefer the Google Maps Navigation.
  • Got a feedback call from VW after 3 months. Had a list of questions regarding my happiness with the car. Answer was Yes to their ‘Are you Happy’ Questions. Then they had one interesting question: Are you happy with the floor mats provided and do the slip/move around. I still have the ones given by the dealer, and they do move around. Gave that feedback. Seemed and irrelevant question to me. I also asked about extended warranty for which this person had no clue. Guess they are just an outsourced agency. But next day I got an SMS from VW saying that your complaint has been registered and assigned to my dealer (VW Palace Cross). No news after that.
Issues Faced
  • None so far.
Rajeevraj is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th March 2014, 11:26   #68
BHPian

hi !
[*]Earlier had felt that the AC was not great, but now having identified the way it works best, don’t find it an issue anymore.

What is that you have identified ?
I don't really have an issue with the A/C mostly; but yes i did have to put it on manual mode when i was travelling once with a full complement of passengers.
[*]Have not got around to upgrading the bulbs, so the headlights continue to be a bother. Especially felt during night driving on undivided Kerala roads with heavy traffic

I have upgraded to the "osram night breaker unlimited" . Yes the difference is not much when you are up against blinding oncoming traffic ; but it is definitely better when there is no oncoming glare.Planning to change the fog lamps too soon.
[*]Maintaining Black is a challenge. Reduced the car washing in the apartment to once a week. Bought a Jopasu Duster to dust on daily basis. Need to lean more on washing, detailing and maintenance.

i fully agree with that ; have already got a key scratch on the boot when i had parked it in a public parking space.
I just wish the people who do such things get beaten up like this
Hopefully i guess it can be taken out when i go for my detailing next time.
Old 9th March 2014, 20:48   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantis0965 View Post
hi !
[*]Earlier had felt that the AC was not great, but now having identified the way it works best, don’t find it an issue anymore.

What is that you have identified ?
I don't really have an issue with the A/C mostly; but yes i did have to put it on manual mode when i was travelling once with a full complement of passengers.
Yes, I pretty much do the same thing. Either put it at minimum temperature in Auto Mode or switch to manual mode initially till the cabin cools down. Did not have to do this in the SX4. Thats why the difference was obvious for me.
Old 11th March 2014, 10:45   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Got a feedback call from VW after 3 months. Had a list of questions regarding my happiness with the car. Answer was Yes to their ‘Are you Happy’ Questions. Then they had one interesting question: Are you happy with the floor mats provided and do the slip/move around. I still have the ones given by the dealer, and they do move around. Gave that feedback. Seemed and irrelevant question to me. I also asked about extended warranty for which this person had no clue. Guess they are just an outsourced agency. But next day I got an SMS from VW saying that your complaint has been registered and assigned to my dealer (VW Palace Cross). No news after that.
Got a call from VW Palace cross Service Center asking what they issue of 'Mat Slippage' was. The suggested to check if the plastic covering on the floor had been completely removed. i checked and noticed that I had not removed the bottom half covered by the mat completely. Apparently that caused the slippage. Made sense to me. So agreed to remove it completely and test it out.

Hope they respond similarly if and when I actually have a more critical issue
Old 12th March 2014, 00:50   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Got a call from VW Palace cross Service Center asking what they issue of 'Mat Slippage' was. The suggested to check if the plastic covering on the floor had been completely removed. i checked and noticed that I had not removed the bottom half covered by the mat completely. Apparently that caused the slippage. Made sense to me. So agreed to remove it completely and test it out.

Hope they respond similarly if and when I actually have a more critical issue
I've noticed something in my Vento TSI regarding mats. If you look under the mat you'll find two black knobs, which I assume are there to hold the mats in place, especially after the whole Toyota unintended acceleration controversy in the US. I guess they unscrew, go through the mat and then then the knob is tightened on top. The mats I got with the car have two small holes at the end which faces the knobs (and the driver's/front passenger's seat), although the holes and knobs don't strictly line up.

I haven't fixed the mats as yet because I couldn't quite figure out how to open the knobs and I didn't want to force the issue in a new car. I plan to ask the dealer.
Old 12th March 2014, 09:59   #72
BHPian

Completed the first week in my beige Vento Tsi.

1) went to 3M and got their noodle mats installed.The fit is very good in general except near the tranny lump below the rear seat. I would have liked it to 'hug' the floor a little bit more. Also the noodle mats do not cover the top right corner (for driver) and top left (for front passenger) area.I was told that they do not place mats there since its upward sloping and that the mat may slide down.

2) I have decided to clean the car every Sunday instead of hiring a help. I have been using the car cover regularly so the car is generally not dirty during the week.

3) I cleaned the car once using meguairs' car cleaning liquid. Removes the small stains nicely.

4) Post the cleaning, I accidentally touched the leatherette seats with my dirty hands and left 'ugly fingerprints' on the passenger seat. I drove down to 3M (its practically on the same road) and they demo'ed the meguair soft leather cleaning liquid. I was very impressed with its performance. You just put a drop or two on a sponge and rub it off on the leather and it becomes swanky clean again.

5) i had earlier read some issues with bluetooth connectivity in this model. I have not found any problems yet. I connect my i phone all the time to play music and receive important calls. If the song does not play automatically, All I have to do is pair it, choose 'BT' under 'Media' and its done.

6)I'm still running-in the engine and brakes. Read in the manual that I should avoid red-lining and stick to within 60% of max speed for the first 1000-1500 kms. I hope im correct in assuming therefore that occasional speeds of upto 100-120 kmph is OK. I plan to do a Bangalore trip shortly.
Shortsell is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2014, 22:40   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortsell View Post
Congrats on getting your new beauty! Curious to know how long did you wait after booking the car for delivery. Also got the extended warranty?
Old 12th March 2014, 22:55   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rejeen View Post
Congrats on getting your new beauty! Curious to know how long did you wait after booking the car for delivery. Also got the extended warranty?
Rejeen Thanks

Please see the link below on a tiny ordeal i faced to get the delivery of the color of my choice.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...livery-24.html

In short booked shadow blue in 2nd week of Dec. Passed up choices to go for a few more colors and finally chose beige after hearing from VW officially that blue will not be released before April

On extended warranty, I don't have it yet. I called up my dealer after hearing about the launch in one of the forums. I'm getting a quote tomorrow.
Shortsell is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2014, 20:48   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
I've noticed something in my Vento TSI regarding mats. If you look under the mat you'll find two black knobs, which I assume are there to hold the mats in place, especially after the whole Toyota unintended acceleration controversy in the US. I guess they unscrew, go through the mat and then then the knob is tightened on top. The mats I got with the car have two small holes at the end which faces the knobs (and the driver's/front passenger's seat), although the holes and knobs don't strictly line up.

I haven't fixed the mats as yet because I couldn't quite figure out how to open the knobs and I didn't want to force the issue in a new car. I plan to ask the dealer.
Yes, although the holes are there, the knobs and holes do not line up at all for the mats they provide. Need to buy another set. The 'Star 3D' mats seem to be highly recommended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortsell View Post

4) Post the cleaning, I accidentally touched the leatherette seats with my dirty hands and left 'ugly fingerprints' on the passenger seat. I drove down to 3M (its practically on the same road) and they demo'ed the meguair soft leather cleaning liquid. I was very impressed with its performance. You just put a drop or two on a sponge and rub it off on the leather and it becomes swanky clean again.

6)I'm still running-in the engine and brakes. Read in the manual that I should avoid red-lining and stick to within 60% of max speed for the first 1000-1500 kms. I hope im correct in assuming therefore that occasional speeds of upto 100-120 kmph is OK. I plan to do a Bangalore trip shortly.
Thanks for the inputs on the seat cleaning liquid. I was wondering what would be the best way to clean it if and when it gets dirty.

100-120 should be fine. At 100-110 kmph in D mode 7th gear, the RPM is just around 2000. Although on the Chennai-Bangalore Highway, you will have a tough time restricting this car to 110. This car should definitely have had cruise control.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed