Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2014, 22:47   #31
BHPian

Re: BMW X1 sDrive20D - Joy for my Home

Today my nightmare about a flat tyre came true when while parking, the RFT indicator lit up in red with a sound.
Firstly I thought its a false alarm and I did a couple of restarts as visually none of the tyres seemed to be bulging. But the indicator remained on.

BMW X1 sDrive20D - Joy for my Home-20140228_203715.jpg

Also, I pulled out the manual and it confused me even more

BMW X1 sDrive20D - Joy for my Home-20140228_221953.jpg
BMW X1 sDrive20D - Joy for my Home-20140228_221433.jpg

Then I took out my car and went to the petrol bunk next to my home to check the air pressure and top up the tyres.
Front Left Tyre was 14/ Front Right 20/ Rear Left was 26/Rear right 27.
I keep 31 in front and 38 in back.
Since there is so much variation, don't know which of the front tyre could be the culprit.
Since I had not topped up the air in last 3 weeks, I feel that its a differential pressure loss vs a puncture.
So I have topped up the air in all 4 tyres, reinitialized the RFT indicator and drove for 5 kms and the warning has not yet shown up again. I am waiting for tomo morning now and will take it out for an around 10 km drive, praying that the RFT indicator doesnt show up.
What are the chances that its not a puncture and if it indeed is, what shall I do? Repair or seek a new tyre under secure?
sharadmumbai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2014, 23:19   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharadmumbai View Post
What are the chances that its not a puncture and if it indeed is, what shall I do? Repair or seek a new tyre under secure?
Well from the looks of it, might be due to loss of air in all 4 tyres since you hadn't got it refilled. Although I am surprised that in just 3 weeks the tyres lost so much air to come down to 14 PSI from 31 PSI. Anyways if it turns out to be a puncture I will suggest you to get it fixed just like the usual tubeless tyres and move on.
A new tyre under the BMW secure will cost you around 2500 rs as they deduct minimum amount based on your running. And since it will fall in the least run category ( whatever % it is ) it will cost you approx 2500 rs. Compare that with Rs 50-100 for a puncture repair.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2014, 08:29   #33
Senior - BHPian

Thats surprising, I fill air once in 3 weeks and the pressure drops by max 2 psi. I'm guessing the initial fill was wrong (maybe faulty meter, because three tyres show around 12 psi less than recommended). But anyway, keep a watch on the 14 psi tyre. The indicator probably came on due to the differential pressure in this particular tyre. If its a puncture, get it fixed like a normal tubeless repair. I had one of mine punctured 7 months back and had got it fixed like a normal tubeless. It has been running faultlessly since. I dont think you need to replace.

Last edited by dinu2506 : 1st March 2014 at 08:43.
dinu2506 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2014, 12:46   #34
BHPian

Congratulations on your new ride, a very well written review, lovely car and stunning color, wish you a safe and happy motoring.
ssadwelkar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2014, 10:52   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssadwelkar View Post
Congratulations on your new ride, a very well written review, lovely car and stunning color, wish you a safe and happy motoring.
Thanks for your kind words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Well from the looks of it, might be due to loss of air in all 4 tyres since you hadn't got it refilled. Although I am surprised that in just 3 weeks the tyres lost so much air to come down to 14 PSI from 31 PSI. Anyways if it turns out to be a puncture I will suggest you to get it fixed just like the usual tubeless tyres and move on.
A new tyre under the BMW secure will cost you around 2500 rs as they deduct minimum amount based on your running. And since it will fall in the least run category ( whatever % it is ) it will cost you approx 2500 rs. Compare that with Rs 50-100 for a puncture repair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinu2506 View Post
Thats surprising, I fill air once in 3 weeks and the pressure drops by max 2 psi. I'm guessing the initial fill was wrong (maybe faulty meter, because three tyres show around 12 psi less than recommended). But anyway, keep a watch on the 14 psi tyre. The indicator probably came on due to the differential pressure in this particular tyre. If its a puncture, get it fixed like a normal tubeless repair. I had one of mine punctured 7 months back and had got it fixed like a normal tubeless. It has been running faultlessly since. I dont think you need to replace.
Agree with Both of you. I again went to the same petrol bunk on sat morning. The indicator showed 26 in front left tyre. I was sure its a puncture. But wait. I asked him to check the front right- it also showed 26. Then went to back tyres, both showing 32. Seems something wrong with the gauge as there cant be 4 punctures. I then drove to another one. Here, the pressure was 7-8 PSIs more in each of the tyres!!!!!
Got them corrected to the right pressure, reset the RFT indicator and drove off. Till now about 15 kms later, no warning.

Meanwhile another Mishap befell on my beloved beauty. Some miscreants yanked off the BMW logo off the hood in the Omaxe Mall on sohna road- one with easy day. More than the loss of logo, those *$%@# left a deep scratch on the hood.

BMW X1 sDrive20D - Joy for my Home-20140301_172443.jpg

BMW X1 sDrive20D - Joy for my Home-20140301_172451.jpg

I'm now going to get a new logo fixed but dont know how to deal with the scratch. I did try the scratch removal rubbing compound but it didnt work.
Any suggestions???

Sunny1974: Pls post the pictures as you had promised. Also, can u advice on which pressure gauge I should buy along with the compressor? I went and saw stuff ranging from Rs 500 to 2000. From where shall i buy? Any really good shops in Gurgaon?
sharadmumbai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2014, 11:37   #36
Senior - BHPian

Sad about the logo. I'm sure the original from BMW could be pricey. Please let me know the price. I have seen logos available in aliexpress which are reasonable. From the pictures, it looks good. Maybe you could give it a shot. Regarding the scratch, its pretty minor, so no point trying to get a 100%fix. I would suggest a simple brush touch with a matching shade

Last edited by dinu2506 : 2nd March 2014 at 11:38.
Old 2nd March 2014, 13:43   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Sad about the logo. I'm sure the original from BMW could be pricey. Please let me know the price. I have seen logos available in aliexpress which are reasonable. From the pictures, it looks good. Maybe you could give it a shot. Regarding the scratch, its pretty minor, so no point trying to get a 100%fix. I would suggest a simple brush touch with a matching shade
Went to the mall and limited CCTV footage shows its was flicked from the mall parking but no camera angle recording the theft. Shocked by overall CCTV security. I have given them 15 days to correct it or else I'll complain to the Senior Police officials.
Today the BMW workshop is closed but the approximate cost is around 3k.
I also dont see anything beyond a brush touch up for the scratch.
Old 2nd March 2014, 19:39   #38
BHPian

Mod note: Back to back post, please use Multi Quote [Quote+] instead. Thanks.

Quote:
Thanks for your kind words.

====From where shall i buy? Any really good shops in Gurgaon?
Sorry Sharad I was out of town for a week. Shocking to hear about the theft. It happened inside the basement parking? I always thought those were safe. I do agree that its a headache to park these cars anywhere. Moreover after such incidents you will be scared to park it outside and keep worrying about it.
But I would suggest that don't buy the original logo. Buy the ali express or ones from ebay. That will make you feel very relaxed in the future. Its not about money but the fact that you have outsmarted the thiefs. order one extra so you don't even have to worry about the future.
Remember I told you about the side mirror thefts? Do get them etched asap. I have even thought that if I ever lose the side mirrors I might use ones from ebay. as they cost less than 2k. These things are minor hiccups in the car owning experience and all forum members can imagine your plight and that bitter feeling. But trust me you will forget all this soon and will be back to enjoying the vroom.
I have a Michelin tyre pressure gauge which I got from abroad.
there is also another one I got from reliance auto in Gurgaon for 50 -100 rs. The difference in both of them was around 2 psi. If you know this difference you can calibrate the cheaper one with petrol pumps. I too have noticed that the pump air gauges are varied and can differ by 2-3 psi. But its never 10-15 psi.
your car is not too old so you can get the bsi secure tyres besides you will not forfeit the ncb through the tyre changes. But then you can get the puncture again and then go through the whole process. As far as insurance claims are concerned id take them at the 1st instance as in expensive cars bill can run very high and if you don't take the insurance claim you feel bad later.
I d sugest you take the claim for the tyre if you find a puncture and the logo and get the whole hood painted again as will be probably done. doing that will also make you immune to future accidental jobs viz a viz ncb. Remember that this job will not be done again as future scratches might not be in the same position and the insurance company wont agree to it.

Installation of the reverse camera with the garmin gps as promised. Sorry for the delay as I had to take pictures and then resize them and upload them.
Attached Thumbnails
BMW X1 sDrive20D - Joy for my Home-img_20140212_080249.jpg  

BMW X1 sDrive20D - Joy for my Home-img_20140212_080309.jpg  

BMW X1 sDrive20D - Joy for my Home-img_20140212_080319.jpg  

BMW X1 sDrive20D - Joy for my Home-img_20140212_080331.jpg  

BMW X1 sDrive20D - Joy for my Home-img_20140212_080344.jpg  

BMW X1 sDrive20D - Joy for my Home-img_20140212_080404.jpg  

BMW X1 sDrive20D - Joy for my Home-img_20140212_080459.jpg  

BMW X1 sDrive20D - Joy for my Home-img_20140212_080518.jpg  

BMW X1 sDrive20D - Joy for my Home-img_20140212_080605.jpg  

BMW X1 sDrive20D - Joy for my Home-img_20140212_080824.jpg  

Last edited by Jaggu : 2nd March 2014 at 20:19.
sunny1974 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2014, 20:59   #39
BHPian

Notice the installation in such a way that you can see your bumper. There is a plastic slot near the number plate light meant specifically for the camera.
the camera is taped to the plate after drilling a hole in it.
The entire boot has to be opened to put the camera wiring.
although its Bluetooth the wiring is simple and the garmin box has the picturised instructions. I have attached the exact relax wiring diagram. You need to tap the wire to the reverse light for the trigger. It can be done carefully and the warranty wont be voided as you are not drawing any extra power or causing any error code. if required you can remove that wire. Alternately you can keep a manual switch if you want to keep the wire untouched though that is not practical. Pm me if you require more details.
you have to remove the storage lid to do this. You can package the screen in a better way by sticking a plastic sheet over it. I am too lazy to do that
The unit catches satellites in a second even though it is under the plastic dashboard so it doesn't matter at all. The unit is safe from theft as no one can imagine it is an add on.
you get lifetime updates to the map and has a 3 year warranty. The interface is by far the best I have seen in maps. The end camera unit doesn't have the green red lines which help in width calculation which is a negative point.
You can change the end camera if required in case you need an better one. The night vision is not that great but works reasonably. My primary reason of getting this was when I rear ended the car into a pole and the sensors beeped only at 2 meters and by the time they beeped it was too late.Now I can see most things and make a call for reversing and even go beyond the sensor limit as I can see pavements etc.
Attached Thumbnails
BMW X1 sDrive20D - Joy for my Home-img_20140212_081529.jpg  

BMW X1 sDrive20D - Joy for my Home-img_20140212_081805.jpg  

BMW X1 sDrive20D - Joy for my Home-img_20140212_081909.jpg  

BMW X1 sDrive20D - Joy for my Home-img_20140212_082145.jpg  

BMW X1 sDrive20D - Joy for my Home-img_20140212_082255.jpg  

BMW X1 sDrive20D - Joy for my Home-img_20140214_081330.jpg  

sunny1974 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2014, 08:35   #40
Senior - BHPian

Sharad, for the scratch, if you have some good small denters in GGN, you can try them out. I had a scratch on my bonnet repaired by one such outfit in Bangalore. See post #72 in the link http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/bangal...ngalore-5.html
Old 3rd March 2014, 09:14   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Then I took out my car and went to the petrol bunk next to my home to check the air pressure and top up the tyres.
Front Left Tyre was 14/ Front Right 20/ Rear Left was 26/Rear right 27.
I keep 31 in front and 38 in back.
Don't you think it should be the other way round ?

Front carries the engine load and should have more air pressure compared to the rear.

Isn't 38 too high ? What is the recommended tyre pressure by BMW.

Regarding the scratch - It is part of the ownership experience, you can get it touched up or you can procure a paint pen in your car's shade from the US.
Old 3rd March 2014, 10:16   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Isn't 38 too high ? What is the recommended tyre pressure by BMW.
Its correct. Dont know the reason, but the recommended pressure for the stock tyre of X1 - 225 50 R17 is 32 front and 38 rear. I maintain 33/39 every 3 weeks.
Old 3rd March 2014, 11:49   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Its correct. Dont know the reason, but the recommended pressure for the stock tyre of X1 - 225 50 R17 is 32 front and 38 rear. I maintain 33/39 every 3 weeks.
Very interesting, never knew this combination of high pressure on rear and low pressure on the front.

Experts,

Any idea why ?

Last edited by F150 : 3rd March 2014 at 11:51.
Old 3rd March 2014, 15:52   #44
BHPian

@sharadmumbai
Can feel your pain regarding the logo same happened with my 320d,but rather than the thieves the guys at BMW showroom left a little scratch near the logo area while removing the remains of the stolen logo, these guys were seriously under equipped to handle such incidents, and had the audacity to pass comments like why would anyone steal a logo from a BMW it's not a rolls, this is like any other car :o . The logo costed around 3100 INR.
Workshop: Bird automotive, ggn
Old 3rd March 2014, 21:29   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Very interesting, never knew this combination of high pressure on rear and low pressure on the front.

Experts,

Any idea why ?
The rear tyres of most cars have higher recommended pressures as they take the load of the luggage compartment as well as possibly 3 people in the rear. bmw X 1 has a rear mounted battery as well. Also being a rear wheel drive might make some difference though that im not sure about.
But I personally do not use so much pressure though I did at some point of time. The rft has a warning which says do not inflate above 40 psi. And if you even go past 36 you can be assured that running on a highway for more than an hour in winters and 15 mins during the summers on a 50 celcius road will take your pressure way above 40 especially in summers.And god help you if you go on the Yamuna expressway which is concrete. so basically you are putting too much pressure on the tyre. I keep it 32-33 and 35-36 in the rear. These pressures are probably meant for western countries where it barely goes above 25 C.

Last edited by sunny1974 : 3rd March 2014 at 21:31.
sunny1974 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks