Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2014, 16:53   #61
Senior - BHPian

Spotted a same color X1 at India gate right now going towards ashram. Don't know if it's yours only but seeing this color in person for the first time I gotta admit, it looks really cool.
Even clicked a snap but not posting as it's got number mentioned.

Last edited by harry10 : 8th March 2014 at 16:55.
Old 8th March 2014, 18:05   #62
BHPian

Re: BMW X1 sDrive20D - Joy for my Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedub89 View Post
Thanks a lot guys. These inputs coming from owners is simply invaluable.

Sunny1974, just to clarify i haven't actually bought the car yet. Still in the decision phase.
You are absolutely right about the service costs with and without BSI. The dealer will probably give a higher quote to the car without BSI.

I test drove the car yesterday and I must say it is simply superb. Let's see how the finance part of it works out.
Do get the quote from BMW finance as well. They had a scheme wherein they were giving 1L subsidy on interest where the effective rate on 5 year loan was around 9.3% which has much lower than even any PSU. They also have a bullet/balloon offers from 3 years to 7 years tenure. They are also financing till 90% OTR cost. Only negative is that you have a 2% prepayment penalty.

Also, if you have any old car in your name which you want to dispose- even a maruti 800, you can get additional 1L exchange bonus.

You can further reduce your outflow by also transferring your NCB to the X1.

BTW: whats the estimated OTR for you ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Spotted a same color X1 at India gate right now going towards ashram. Don't know if it's yours only but seeing this color in person for the first time I gotta admit, it looks really cool.
Even clicked a snap but not posting as it's got number mentioned.
Hi Harry
Thats not mine but really happy to see that there is one more that exists as this is a very rare colour.
I'm very happy with the color myself.
Old 10th March 2014, 11:39   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharadmumbai View Post
Do get the quote from BMW finance as well. They had a scheme wherein they were giving 1L subsidy on interest where the effective rate on 5 year loan was around 9.3% which has much lower than even any PSU. They also have a bullet/balloon offers from 3 years to 7 years tenure. They are also financing till 90% OTR cost. Only negative is that you have a 2% prepayment penalty.

Also, if you have any old car in your name which you want to dispose- even a maruti 800, you can get additional 1L exchange bonus.

You can further reduce your outflow by also transferring your NCB to the X1.

BTW: whats the estimated OTR for you ?
Yeah you are right on that finance scheme. It is actually 9.5% on a 3 year loan.
This exchange bonus part is new to me. The sales rep said that they do have something but he didn't mention the 1lac amount.
The ex-showroom price quoted to me is 25.5 lacs for the base X1 (just like yours). 8% registration and and then insurance wherein I can claim the NCB from my previous car. I am looking at 30lac approx on-road.

Slightly OT, I test drove the B-class Merc on Saturday. Not as engaging to drive but what a looker (looks are subjective though). The interiors are definitely better than the X1 tho and the car in general has much more features. Do you have any views on the B?
Old 10th March 2014, 19:14   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Slightly OT, I test drove the B-class Merc on Saturday. Not as engaging to drive but what a looker (looks are subjective though).
Did I get you right or were you referring to the A-class? B-class, a looker?? Interiors, yes, its a notch above the X1 and I guess its a much more practical car compared to the A or the X1. I guess the biggest drawback of the B is the exterior looks.

Last edited by dinu2506 : 10th March 2014 at 19:15.
Old 10th March 2014, 22:19   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Yeah you are right on that finance scheme. It is actually 9.5% on a 3 year loan.
This exchange bonus part is new to me. The sales rep said that they do have something but he didn't mention the 1lac amount.
The ex-showroom price quoted to me is 25.5 lacs for the base X1 (just like yours). 8% registration and and then insurance wherein I can claim the NCB from my previous car. I am looking at 30lac approx on-road.
You should be targeting around 27L OTR with free BSI+ for 3 years. You will be getting Jun/July 2013 manufactured vehicle anyways. Negotiate hard on that.

Quote:
Slightly OT, I test drove the B-class Merc on Saturday. Not as engaging to drive but what a looker (looks are subjective though). The interiors are definitely better than the X1 tho and the car in general has much more features. Do you have any views on the B?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinu2506 View Post
Did I get you right or were you referring to the A-class? B-class, a looker?? Interiors, yes, its a notch above the X1 and I guess its a much more practical car compared to the A or the X1. I guess the biggest drawback of the B is the exterior looks.
I don't know much about the mercs as I visited them once. I did check out the B series and I found the looks decent- shape somewhat innova like. But the deal breaker was a much less powerful engine. Around 107 Bhp vs 184 of X1. Didnt even go to the TD stage.
Guess you are on your own on this.

Last edited by sharadmumbai : 10th March 2014 at 22:23.
Old 10th March 2014, 22:40   #66
BHPian

Till the time I am able to finalise the Navigation plus reverse camera option, I have gone ahead an bought a windshield mounted smartphone holder to mount my phone as the navigator. I also installed Ulysse Speedometer which super imposes on top of the map and gives a cool look. The mount cost me 250/- only. As my camera is my phone, couldn't clik with the phone mounted.BMW X1 sDrive20D - Joy for my Home-20140310_201845.jpg
BMW X1 sDrive20D - Joy for my Home-20140310_201908.jpg

Also, bought a local make 12V metal body air compressor with a 6 mth warranty. I tested it on one of my tyres. There wasn't much vibration and the needle started shifting as soon as I started it. The nozzle is made of metal and not plastic and was easy to plug on and remove from the valve. There wasnt any air loss beyond a second. The build seems quite strong and sturdy and it supposedly has an auto cut off feature in case of overload. Total cost was 1600/-. There was free good quality pouch to neatly keep the compressor as well.
BMW X1 sDrive20D - Joy for my Home-20140310_213637.jpg
BMW X1 sDrive20D - Joy for my Home-20140310_213652.jpg
BMW X1 sDrive20D - Joy for my Home-20140310_213706.jpg
BMW X1 sDrive20D - Joy for my Home-20140310_213741.jpg
sharadmumbai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2014, 10:56   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Till the time I am able to finalise the Navigation plus reverse camera option, I have gone ahead an bought a windshield mounted smartphone holder to mount my phone as the navigator.
Again, if you are a DIY type, have a look at something I did few months back for my X1. Serves the purpose very well.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...er-bmw-x1.html
Old 16th March 2014, 23:34   #68
BHPian

I want the advice of the veterans here about the choice of modes especially at the traffic signals.
I drive mostly in D Mode. If at the signal the car goes in the Stop Start mode, I directly shift to P and take my foot off the brake. The car stays off. When the signal turns green, I press the pedal and select D and the engine fires and we move. I dont engage N at all.
Same as when I need to park, I directly move from D to P and not via N.
Sometimes I even press the Stop Start button after the car is brought to a halt at my parking space in D mode itself and the car directly moves to P mode.
Is what I'm doing OK or I need to shift through N every time?

Secondly, does the 1 minute idling rule apply to X1 as well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinu2506 View Post
Again, if you are a DIY type, have a look at something I did few months back for my X1. Serves the purpose very well.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...er-bmw-x1.html
Thats a nice DIY. But I am happy with the holder as of now as its doing the job perfectly.

Last edited by sharadmumbai : 16th March 2014 at 23:35.
Old 16th March 2014, 23:58   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I want the advice of the veterans here about the choice of modes especially at the traffic signals.
I drive mostly in D Mode. If at the signal the car goes in the Stop Start mode, I directly shift to P and take my foot off the brake. The car stays off. When the signal turns green, I press the pedal and select D and the engine fires and we move. I dont engage N at all.
Let me share my research findings on this with you. I used to earlier do exactly what you are doing right now. But now according to lot of advice by people here, the ideal thing to do is use n in such situations. You have to use the p mode only when you are parking your car and nothing else. On those signals use n and probably engage the hand brake if the need arises.
Old 17th March 2014, 12:35   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Let me share my research findings on this with you. I used to earlier do exactly what you are doing right now. But now according to lot of advice by people here, the ideal thing to do is use n in such situations. You have to use the p mode only when you are parking your car and nothing else. On those signals use n and probably engage the hand brake if the need arises.
I just went through the manual. It mentions to use P when the vehicle is fully stationery. In fact it asks to use N only when the vehicle needs to roll in case of automated car wash. So I guess what I'm doing is not an issue. Let me check with the BMW people as well.
Old 17th March 2014, 15:23   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I just went through the manual. It mentions to use P when the vehicle is fully stationery. In fact it asks to use N only when the vehicle needs to roll in case of automated car wash. So I guess what I'm doing is not an issue. Let me check with the BMW people as well.
I know the manual states so. But here is what I found out ( answered best by member starscream on the forum).

Quote:
In an AT, when parked at a red light you can stay in D with a foot on the brakes to prevent it from creeping or you could put it in N and use the handbrake. Usually, the choice of the mode depends on how long you're going to be stopped for: long light - use option 2, short light - use option 1.

The reason to disengage the transmission by putting it in N is to stop the engine from straining against the brakes and burning more fuel.

You only use P when the car is parked. Not in traffic. This mode locks the transmission and prevents the car from rolling but it's not a substitute for the handbrake/parking brake. The reason you don't use it in traffic, especially in the case of most traditional ATs, is because if you are stopped in P and someone comes and hits you from the back it will break the P mechanism and cause damage to the transmission. That will not happen in N or D.
Old 17th March 2014, 16:06   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I know the manual states so. But here is what I found out ( answered best by member starscream on the forum).

In an AT, when parked at a red light you can stay in D with a foot on the brakes to prevent it from creeping or you could put it in N and use the handbrake. Usually, the choice of the mode depends on how long you're going to be stopped for: long light - use option 2, short light - use option 1.

The reason to disengage the transmission by putting it in N is to stop the engine from straining against the brakes and burning more fuel.

You only use P when the car is parked. Not in traffic. This mode locks the transmission and prevents the car from rolling but it's not a substitute for the handbrake/parking brake. The reason you don't use it in traffic, especially in the case of most traditional ATs, is because if you are stopped in P and someone comes and hits you from the back it will break the P mechanism and cause damage to the transmission. That will not happen in N or D.
I dont fully agree especially with the moving on N part. I dont think that starscream has had an experience with Start Stop function of a bimmer.
When in drive mode when you go to a halt, the StartStop mode becomes active and your engine goes off and stays off till you release the pedal or touch the transmission lever. Eg if the engine has gone off automatically, and if you try to go to N, the engine will fire again. Which means that the purpose of auto startstop gets defeated. Else, you need to keep the pedal pressed for 1-2 min which is also a pain. I found that if you go to P, the engine remains off and you can take the foot off the pedal and relax. When you want to fire the engine again, just press the pedal and move do D mode.

Also, not sure if the transmission breaking theory is correct as the wheels are locked up and the impact will cause skidding and wheels will not rotate and thus not sure how the transmission will break.

However, lets check with the BMW guys

Last edited by sharadmumbai : 17th March 2014 at 16:07.
Old 17th March 2014, 19:48   #73
Senior - BHPian

Dear X1 owners, I had a query on the fuel consumption display options. In my car (pre-facelift), the instantaneous consumption is indicated by the needle in the speedometer console. For average fuel consumption, it displays the average from the time it was reset, which I normally do when I fill the tank. Is there a possibility to display the average for a trip. I dont think it is possible as there is only a single trip meter (no Trip A and Trip B). Just wanted to know if it is different in the later models and if this feature exists.
Old 18th March 2014, 00:48   #74
BHPian

Quote:
I dont fully agree especially with the moving on N part. I dont think that starscream has had an experience with Start Stop function of a bimmer.
When in drive mode when you go to a halt, the StartStop mode becomes active and your engine goes off and stays off till you release the pedal or touch the transmission lever. Eg if the engine has gone off automatically, and if you try to go to N, the engine will fire again. Which means that the purpose of auto startstop gets defeated. Else, you need to keep the pedal pressed for 1-2 min which is also a pain. I found that if you go to P, the engine remains off and you can take the foot off the pedal and relax. When you want to fire the engine again, just press the pedal and move do D mode.

Also, not sure if the transmission breaking theory is correct as the wheels are locked up and the impact will cause skidding and wheels will not rotate and thus not sure how the transmission will break.

However, lets check with the BMW guys
There is no straining for brakes etc at all in d mode with brake pressed. period. Discussed clearly with the BMW engineer. You can keep the brake pressed on the red light ,or keep it in N mode with foot off brake or on. Or use a handbrake but never keep it on P because if another car hits you accidentally on a redlight your transmission will take a hot and may get damaged. If you are on a brake you are safe. even N is safer as your car will roll forward and lessen the impact.
sunny1974 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2014, 10:29   #75
Senior - BHPian

Correct. There is no straining of engine, brakes and/or extra fuel consumption when at standstill and brakes pressed in an auto. The torque converter disengages the clutches. The creep in an auto is because the minute you move your foot off the brake pedal, the torque converter engages the clutches again and the engine idle speed is enough to cause creep. Observe the rpm indicator in different modes i.e. when brakes are pressed, when in N or in P. It will be at the same rpm!!!

P only when 'parked', not in traffic. Various reasons, including and especially a rear end. If needed, use 'N' with handbrake.

Most Viewed