Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2014, 16:39   #46
BHPian

Re: Tata Nano Twist XT : Driven

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post

IMO, apart from the "Image" factor, Nano is a no-brainer for a tiny-city-car demand.
That's bang on. Yes, Tata has started listening to customers. Yes their cars are getting better. But i think its going to be a long hard journey. The Indian consumer can be very tough, with a long memory.

Hope TML digs in its heels and keeps up the good work, while also working on marketing and PR.
Old 14th January 2014, 17:46   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Two of the biggest problems that I have faced while driving a Nano in Bangalore traffic is:
1. Parking - It feels like you are trying to park a 1990's Maruti 800. Really need to dig in and turn those wheels
2. NVH - Especially at lower RPMs, all you can hear is the engine and feel the car vibrating. Once you hit 25-30 kmph speed, then its a breeze

With the addition of EPS, Tata has taken care of the first point. Not sure if they have added additional damping and reduced the NVH levels.TML needs to seriously revisit the Positioning of this car and their target audience.
Old 14th January 2014, 18:02   #48
Senior - BHPian

Very quick to get this review up. Nice work.

I am very curious to know what exact changes have happened to the clutch pedal. My wife was not comfortable with the clutch pedal (had to move right ahead to be able to press it down completely, which created problems for the right leg on the A-pedal.
She had to then move the seat behind and then the C-pedal would not get depressed completely.

So, time for a test drive of Twist.

For those talking about the 1 lac price and the increasing cost, I think Nano is the only NEW car around the 2.5 lac budget at the moment.

Eon with Power Steering, AC and front power windows is close to 3.5 lac.
Old 14th January 2014, 18:47   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
2. NVH - Especially at lower RPMs, all you can hear is the engine and feel the car vibrating. Once you hit 25-30 kmph speed, then its a breeze
Which Nano are you driving - 2011 or 2012? How many kms on the odo and have you done the first oil change?

I never felt the noise was too much right since purchasing my 2012 Nano. Whatever little extra noise disappeared after the first oil change.
Old 14th January 2014, 19:30   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Which Nano are you driving - 2011 or 2012? How many kms on the odo and have you done the first oil change?
Have driven the 2012 Nano. First oil change not yet done. Will need to check if there is a change post that
Old 14th January 2014, 19:42   #51
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Have driven the 2012 Nano. First oil change not yet done. Will need to check if there is a change post that
My colleague has a Feb, 2013 Nano and has clocked 7k kms. TASS says first oil change is 10K kms.

Anurag.
Old 14th January 2014, 22:30   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
My colleague has a Feb, 2013 Nano and has clocked 7k kms. TASS says first oil change is 10K kms.
The scheduled oil change is at 10k. At 1k the service is more of a checkup of the fluids and other parts.

I did the first service at around 2.5k and got the oil changed at my own cost.

I don't think you need to do that. However the NVH levels should be considerably less once the car has run a few thousand kms.
Old 14th January 2014, 22:41   #53
BHPian

The sales number of Nano may have remained stagnant or shown a decline over a period of time but the features and price has shown an upward trend. I still see no reason of buying a Nano at this price. Mostly buyers are buying Nano for the fun and joy associated with owning a Nano.

If I am a first time buyer, I would love to buy a car which is more reliable and has proven its success on Indian roads rather that a car which is struggling and a lot of experiments are being conducted on it to ensure it sells.
mints21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2014, 22:48   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mints21 View Post
If I am a first time buyer, I would love to buy a car which is more reliable and has proven its success on Indian roads rather that a car which is struggling and a lot of experiments are being conducted on it to ensure it sells.
Wow! Show me another hatch which when eight months old can tackle the Rajmachi trail, the interior roads or lack thereof of Maharashtra in a two-day Ashtavinayak and take you and your wife into a different state and back on a nearly 2k kms journey, plus is driven daily to office and hasn't left you stranded yet.

And you aren't convinced that it's reliable?
Old 14th January 2014, 23:11   #55
BANNED

Quote:
The sales number of Nano may have remained stagnant or shown a decline over a period of time but the features and price has shown an upward trend. I still see no reason of buying a Nano at this price. Mostly buyers are buying Nano for the fun and joy associated with owning a Nano.

The car is reliable and so there is no problem with it but the reason that is holding people from buying this cute piece of engineering is the 'Image' - Cheap car

I used to think an Alto 800 is a better proposition than the Nano but after I had a go in my colleagues Nano, my perception changed and I do feel this better as a car.

There are certain features and design cues of the Nano that puts my 8.1L OTR Swift ZDi to shame.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2014, 23:14   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

How does "Sales Numbers" affect you as a consumer? Even if it does, I guess it shouldn't by very much for a company like TATA. Its part of one of the most Financially stable Group of Companies. Anyway.

Doesn't it rather show that no matter what, TATA has been supporting the Nano very well?
What makes you think Nano isn't reliable? Take some time and read reviews/feedback from people in the forum itself.
Quote:
...Mostly buyers are buying Nano for the fun and joy associated with owning a Nano...
You said it.
It can't but tick all your boxes, except for the "Image" factor. And they seem to be working on that too. What more?

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 14th January 2014 at 23:16.
Old 15th January 2014, 04:14   #57
Senior - BHPian

The simple suggestion for anyone who has a doubt about the Nano's abilities should just test drive one and the doubts will be laid to rest. This is especially true of the Twist since it has a well sorted out power steering as per this report and should bring a smile while driving.

Be it in terms of space, power, a/c, seating, it delivers much more than one can imagine by standing outside and commenting. On reliability area, it is quite reliable with hardly many niggles or issues reported by owners.
Old 15th January 2014, 09:07   #58
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post
The simple suggestion for anyone who has a doubt about the Nano's abilities should just test drive one and the doubts will be laid to rest. This is especially true of the Twist since it has a well sorted out power steering as per this report and should bring a smile while driving.

Be it in terms of space, power, a/c, seating, it delivers much more than one can imagine by standing outside and commenting. On reliability area, it is quite reliable with hardly many niggles or issues reported by owners.
+1

One must do a proper TD along with the Alto 800 and Hyundai Eon to understand the beauty of the Nano.

And now with the addition of PS the car is a better propositions with best interior utility. With the front seat adjusted to my height (5'11"), I can happily sur behind and still have some place bergen the setback and my knees - dam my Swift fails on this part.

Anurag
Old 15th January 2014, 09:28   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Wow! Show me another hatch which when eight months old can tackle the Rajmachi trail, the interior roads or lack thereof of Maharashtra in a two-day Ashtavinayak and take you and your wife into a different state and back on a nearly 2k kms journey, plus is driven daily to office and hasn't left you stranded yet.

And you aren't convinced that it's reliable?
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
The car is reliable and so there is no problem with it but the reason that is holding people from buying this cute piece of engineering is the 'Image' - Cheap car

I used to think an Alto 800 is a better proposition than the Nano but after I had a go in my colleagues Nano, my perception changed and I do feel this better as a car.

There are certain features and design cues of the Nano that puts my 8.1L OTR Swift ZDi to shame.

Anurag.
These statements show that for most people buying a Nano, the decision would be more a rational one and less an emotional one. The car is quite reliable and capable and there are a lot of advantages and benefits to the Nano, but what about desirability? Buying a car is one of the more important decisions in a lot of people's lives and most often it is an emotional one. An Alto 800 may not be very desirable either but it's a Maruti. Need I say more?
Motard_Blr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2014, 09:34   #60
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motard_Blr View Post
These statements show that for most people buying a Nano, the decision would be more a rational one and less an emotional one. The car is quite reliable and capable and there are a lot of advantages and benefits to the Nano, but what about desirability? Buying a car is one of the more important decisions in a lot of people's lives and most often it is an emotional one. An Alto 800 may not be very desirable either but it's a Maruti. Need I say more?
The Nano may not be desirable add the the Alto 800 but my point is pelt are writing this car off because of its 'Cheap car' image. No one is really having a go in it even before writing it off.

Out of 100 customers who are in the market for the small car, all 100 will go into the Maruti showroom but not even think of entering the Tata one - Thanks to its image and TASS.

India comes home in a Maruti!

Alto 800 will satisfy the buyers ego and his neighbour will be quiet seeing that it is an Alto and it is a Maruti. But if the same guy buys a top-end Nano, he is bombarded with questions and is discouraged saying

"why spend so much for a egg looking car",

"why spend so much for a Nano, Alto would have been better?!"

Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 15th January 2014 at 09:37.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks