Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2014, 17:54   #1
BHPian

A dream come true! My BMW 320d Sportline -Now Sold

Never thought I would be writing an ownership review of a 320d so early in life.

Disclaimer: I am no writer and I mean that. So if you find it little boring please bear with me. Also, views expressed here are of course my personal views with limited technical knowledge.

Also, I am no photographer. So if you see awesome pictures in this review then it is because we have awesome photographing BHPians here who get up at 6am on a Sunday morning to take pictures of your new ride. Thanks a lot sukiwa! Without your pictures this review would have been as boring as Jimmy Adam's batting. Sorry for the analogy, but you see I am no writer.

Buying and decision making process:
To be honest, there was not really a strong urge to buy a new car as I was completely satisfied with my then current car, a Polo 1.6. It had almost everything, a high revving NA engine, linear power delivery, elegant interiors, fantastic handling and good seats. And add to that a very hassle free 30k kms.

But then the kind of automobile nuts we are, I was always on a look out to upgrade. I opened this topic several times in front of my wife and promptly closed it looking at her reaction. One thing about me is that I never give up when it comes to cars. And she knew it.

This was in June/July. Our finances were no were close to getting a new car but we were positive about this to change in September. So after my lot of nagging and pushing we test drove C220 and 320d in July. After TD and discussion with SE about prices, we stopped as I decided that I should first work out the finances and then decide on a budget otherwise it's just shooting in the air.

Come November, and I was all ready to buy car of my dreams. But this time I wanted to check the used cars as well. Went to BMW premium selection and saw three cars. Two 320d and one 330i all E90s. I liked the 330i very much. The SE offered 27L + 1.4 for two years warranty. My counter offer was 23 + 1.4 = 24.4. He plainly refused. Then I told him that the car was in fact invoiced for 28L two years ago and he wants me to pay 27L for it?! To which he rudely said we will not sell it below 25L without warranty. I said okay, good luck with that.

Then started checking out cars on TBHP classified, OLX, Quicker, etc. Found couple of C220s and 320ds. But when I called they were either sold off or were not good. After this I gave up on pre-worshiped cars. One close friend (also a BHPian) suggested to check cars in Mumbai as there would many more options. But I neither had the patience nor the time to travel to Mumbai spend time on it. So bye-bye to "the best way of owning a car".

In December, the BMW SE with whom I had interacted in July called me up and invited for an "Sunday special discount" event on 19.12. So wife, my one year old kid, two very close friends and me went to the showroom in afternoon to see what is being offered.

After TDs of X1 and 320d, following was the voting:

Wife: X1
Me: 320d
Friend-1: X1
Friend-2: 320d
Kiddo: Enjoying with the ladies from BMW, didn't care much about the cars

So after 2-2 voting one of us had to give up and it was my wife who knew how much I love driving. She said if 320d gives you the driving pleasure then we go ahead with it. And decision was done. Then started negotiations. My friend-1 is an auto dealer himself and he had soft feelings for the dealer so we kept him out of the negotiations.

Friend-2 and me started negotiating with unbelievable prices and SE did not agree to it. So I just gave him a blank cheque and said if he can get me the deal I wanted, he can put a booking amount and he has his sale.

It took another 2-3 days and the deal was sealed. Though I didn't get the ROI on loan as promised but I can understand that as the difference is minimal and the variant I chose was not having much discounts on it. I chose Sportline without thinking twice as the extra money over baseline is worth every penny for those awesome sports seats and black and red interiors combination.

Cars that were considered:

1. Skoda Octavia

- Features
- Engine and DSG gearbox on diesel

Dislikes:
- Interiors - beige overdose
- Rear seats

2. VW Jetta:

- Rear seats
- My previous experience with the VW dealer

Dislikes:
- Exterior styling
- Interiors feel

3. Mercedes C220:

- Interiors - spacious and quality of materials
- Rear seats
- Features
- RWD!

Dislikes:
- Drive feels disconnected
- Steering feel
- Parking brake position is awkward. Chances of accidentally pressing it are high.

4. BMW X1:

- Features - Panoramic sun roof & navigation
- RWD!
- High seating position gives better view of the road

Dislikes:
- Handling is not as good as 320d
- Armrest for driver is not as comfortable as 320d
- Lack of spare and lack of space for it as well

5. BMW 320d:

- Handling is unmatched in this segment
- Sports seats at the front
- Exterior styling

Dislikes:
- Ride is little on stiffer side with 17"
- No navigation - not even optional
- Lack of spare and lack of space for it as well

Dealership experience:

Car was booked on 24th December.
Booking amount + down payment was paid via RTGS and BMW finance took couple of days to get the loan down. No hassles whatsoever.

Overall I would give 9/10 rating to the dealership. My SE was very polite and courteous all the time. Though he gave lame excuses couple of times regarding delivery, I can understand it because I was calling him each day.

They gave me a decent deal. Not the one I wanted but close enough. Only thing is that they could not give me the promised ROI for loan.
Good thing is that he respected my request of PDI before registration. Unfortunately, due to work I could not do it.

The delivery day experience was very good. They play "celebrations" song and the staff cheered as I broke the coconut (not on the car). A goodies basket was presented which had following items:

1. Set of car care products
2. A BMW cap - white color
3. Chocolates + Sweets
4. A micro fiber interiors cleaning cloth
5. Accessories booklet

And additionally my SE gave me a BMW card holder as gift. My wife presented him pen+key-chain as a gift from our side.

The car itself:

Engine:
A dream come true! My BMW 320d Sportline -Now Sold-engine.jpg
It has been little more than three months since I got the car and 4k already on the odo. It is simply the best car I have driven so far. Been fortunate enough to drive X5, 530d and others in Europe for sometime but 320d is just the right car for me. Power delivery is not only instant, it is insane as well! Even in comfort mode it is responsive and in sports mode it becomes entirely something else. In sports mode the gear shifting is late along with heavier steering and suspension and this is complete driving pleasure.

It does not have a high revving petrol engine but this engine is lot of fun in low revs. There is almost no lag that you can "feel". Though it is not as linear as a petrol NA engine.
Also, it does have some clutter which even after good padding from the manufacturer does get through to the cabin. With music one would not hear it but otherwise it is clearly audible.

To conclude, I would rate the engine as 4/5. Personally, I love NA engines but this twin turbo diesel engine has impressed me like anything.

Heat insulation:
A dream come true! My BMW 320d Sportline -Now Sold-heatinsulation.jpg
A dream come true! My BMW 320d Sportline -Now Sold-heatinsulation1.jpg

Handling:

If I have to describe handling of this car in one word, then that would be "baap" (an expression/word used to describe something which is above all). It really holds well on the corners. 50-50 weight distribution is evident the way this car is planted on curves or even while lane changing. All this is comfort mode and in sports mode the handling in even better. My Polo also handles well and I used to think that it is enough but this car has spoiled me even more. Suspension setting, tyre size, steering, 50-50 weight distribution and even sports seats all this creates one great handling "feel". For the kind of roads and traffic sense (non-sense) we have here, driving real fast doesn't make sense but even at moderate speeds handling plays a big role in driving pleasure. This car's handling confirms that buying this car was the right decision.

Exteriors:

No matter how many times I ask myself about which one looks better, E90 or F30, I just can't come to a conclusion!
Initially, as like many others on the forum, I did not like the F30 styling with grills merging in to the headlamps for the first time. But believe me F30's looks grows on you. I fall in love every morning when I look at it. Black and sporty looks go great together.

The long bonnet looks gigantic. Very less chrome on the car makes it look very very sporty. I think I should better let the pictures to the talking.

Front view:
A dream come true! My BMW 320d Sportline -Now Sold-frontdark1.jpg

Front view from top:
A dream come true! My BMW 320d Sportline -Now Sold-topfront.jpg

Front 3/4 view (is it called 3/4?):
A dream come true! My BMW 320d Sportline -Now Sold-frontside.jpg

Another similar angle:
A dream come true! My BMW 320d Sportline -Now Sold-frontquarter.jpg

One from the top:
A dream come true! My BMW 320d Sportline -Now Sold-frontsidetop.jpg

Nose picture:
A dream come true! My BMW 320d Sportline -Now Sold-frontside1.jpg

Logo:
A dream come true! My BMW 320d Sportline -Now Sold-logo1.jpg

Sports badge:
A dream come true! My BMW 320d Sportline -Now Sold-sportslogo.jpg

Shark fin:
A dream come true! My BMW 320d Sportline -Now Sold-sharkfin.jpg

Tyres:
A dream come true! My BMW 320d Sportline -Now Sold-tyres.jpg

Rear:
A dream come true! My BMW 320d Sportline -Now Sold-reardark.jpg

Tail lamp:
A dream come true! My BMW 320d Sportline -Now Sold-tail_lamps.jpg

Corona rings:
A dream come true! My BMW 320d Sportline -Now Sold-ringsdark.jpg

Last edited by moralfibre : 19th March 2014 at 16:34. Reason: Only two smileys per post.
the_skyliner is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 19th March 2014, 13:20   #2
BHPian

re: A dream come true! My BMW 320d Sportline -Now Sold

Interiors:

Though the materials used are not the best in the segment, the layout is driver oriented and that is what I like. Also, the all black interiors with red strip running across the dashboard is just so sporty. Aluminum inserts at various places adds to that feel.

Good thing is that now it has bottle holders and proper cup holders. Also, the space under armrest comes handy for keeping coins, cables, etc.

Best thing are the sports seats. The side boosters are just out of this world. They hug you like your girlfriend (or girlfriends ). Cornering is much more fun sitting in those seats.

Again, let the pictures to the talking.

Dashboard:
What a place to be in. Actually, I had a similar picture from our official review as my desktop wallpaper till I bought the car.
A dream come true! My BMW 320d Sportline -Now Sold-front_sitting_1.jpg

Sports seats:
A dream come true! My BMW 320d Sportline -Now Sold-front-seat.jpg

Sports seats with extended under thigh support:
A dream come true! My BMW 320d Sportline -Now Sold-extended_support.jpg

Steering wheel:
What a feel this steering has. Very sporty and the contour is great.
A dream come true! My BMW 320d Sportline -Now Sold-steering_wheel.jpg

Controls on steering wheel:
Not sure what the button next to "LIM" does?
A dream come true! My BMW 320d Sportline -Now Sold-steering_controls.jpg

A dream come true! My BMW 320d Sportline -Now Sold-steering_controls_1.jpg

Gear knob:
One of the reasons I like F30's interiors more than E90. The contour of this knob is perfect to hold it. Also, the parking gear engage button is cool.
A dream come true! My BMW 320d Sportline -Now Sold-gear_knob.jpg

A dream come true! My BMW 320d Sportline -Now Sold-gear_knob_2.jpg

iDrive:
Another reason for buying BMW and not others. iDrive is addictive.
A dream come true! My BMW 320d Sportline -Now Sold-idrive.jpg

Memory seats:
Not much of a use to me honestly as no one else drives my car. Still I have found on setting and have saved it, just in case.
A dream come true! My BMW 320d Sportline -Now Sold-seatsbuttons.jpg

Modes buttons with various modes:
A dream come true! My BMW 320d Sportline -Now Sold-modes_buttons.jpg

Eco-pro
A dream come true! My BMW 320d Sportline -Now Sold-eco_pro.jpg

Comfort
A dream come true! My BMW 320d Sportline -Now Sold-comfort.jpg

Sports
A dream come true! My BMW 320d Sportline -Now Sold-sports.jpg

Madness (sports+)
A dream come true! My BMW 320d Sportline -Now Sold-sports_plus.jpg

Modes info on MID
A dream come true! My BMW 320d Sportline -Now Sold-modes_sports.jpg

Some pictures of red stitching:
A dream come true! My BMW 320d Sportline -Now Sold-stitching.jpg

A dream come true! My BMW 320d Sportline -Now Sold-headrest.jpg

A dream come true! My BMW 320d Sportline -Now Sold-stitching_on_seats_1.jpg

Couple of pictures of sunroof:
A dream come true! My BMW 320d Sportline -Now Sold-sunroof.jpg

A dream come true! My BMW 320d Sportline -Now Sold-sunroof_open.jpg

Controls on driver's door panel:
A dream come true! My BMW 320d Sportline -Now Sold-doorcontrol.jpg

Auto-rear sun blind:
A dream come true! My BMW 320d Sportline -Now Sold-rearblind.jpg

Side blinds:
A dream come true! My BMW 320d Sportline -Now Sold-sideblind.jpg

Boot and bonnet release buttons:
They are ergonomically best placed. Polo's bonnet button was pain to operate at malls due to clash with the closed door.
A dream come true! My BMW 320d Sportline -Now Sold-bonner_boot_control_obd.jpg

Boot:
Enough for a long journey but not enough for a extra wheel.
A dream come true! My BMW 320d Sportline -Now Sold-boot.jpg

Central armrest:
A dream come true! My BMW 320d Sportline -Now Sold-centralpocket.jpg

And to sum it up for interiors:
A dream come true! My BMW 320d Sportline -Now Sold-red_strip.jpg

A dream come true! My BMW 320d Sportline -Now Sold-strip.jpg

Last edited by moralfibre : 19th March 2014 at 16:37. Reason: Spelling correction
the_skyliner is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 19th March 2014, 15:55   #3
BHPian

Drive:

Now we are talking! Drive is just fantastic because of handling and performance. 17" wheels add that extra bit to the handling department. And you "feel" the power of 184 horses and moreover the 380 Nm of torque when you hit the pedal. The car just takes off if you kick down the throttle. Driving in city traffic is so easy due to the good low end torque. The feeling of driving a high torque engine is always there whether you are at low or high speeds. This I like!

The steering is light in comfort and eco pro modes but weighs up nicely in sports mode. Though it doesn't match up to the pure hydraulic one of E90 or others.

The transmission is quick. You don't really feel the shifts in any of the modes. I think this transmission does proper justice to the engine and suspension setup. I mean a lethargic transmission like CVT would have just killed the fun. Thanks to BMW for investing at the right place.

The tiptronic mode is really fun on curves and uphill. It holds the gears almost according to the driver's wish. This is my first AT car and I didn't have much expectations for it but this transmission just exceeds my expectations. But let me clear one thing: it can never match the fun of a manual, period.

Suspension setup is on stiffer side compared to a car like C. Hence the ride is also on stiffer side but I find it similar to my Polo. The feeling on plushness is somewhat lost due to this but then I didn't buy this car to have that plush feeling. Smallest of a pot hole is felt inside the cabin. I think it is more bad at the rear than front. Like in a bus where you get good comfort if you get a seat at front. The rear seats make up for the stiff ride. They are super comfortable and provide good under thigh support. Have sat in them only one during TD.
Suspension setup is ideal for cornering. In sports mode the setup is even more stiff which helps inspires confidence to push the car.

Brakes are absolutely spot on. Initially braking was not adequate but this is normal as per the manual. And it is true because after 2000 kms braking improved a lot. Parking brake though is not good enough in my opinion. When the car is stationary and "P" is engaged and then you engage the parking brake then the car rolls little bit. This I need to get checked at the service station because my Polo didn't have this problem.

As said earlier as well, the seats are super supportive which adds that extra bit to the drive experience.

What I like about this car:

1. RWD and 50-50 weight distribution: This combination just makes the so much fun to drive. You can feel the balanced ride all the time.

2. Sports mode: The changes that this mode does to transmission, suspension and steering transforms the car in to something else. I just love it!

3. 17" wheels and alloys design: Didn't know the importance of a big wheels until I drove this car. Handling is much better and body roll is further nullified due to bigger wheels.

4. Steering feel: This is one great steering wheel to hold. The contour is great to hold and so is the leather on it.

5. Sports seats: The side boosters are hugging machine. Also, the lowest seating position is awesome for long drives.

6. Gear lever: Again the contour on it is so sporty that you unnecessarily feel like shifting gears.

7. iDrive: So easy to use and the position on controls is spot on.

8. Short-cut keys on dashboard: These are awesome. I have set speed dials on it and it makes it so convenient to call people.

What I didn't like so far:

1. No navigation: X1 gets it. BMW should have at least kept it optional. It is a pain to use mobile when driving alone and I hate to stick mounts on glass or anywhere in the car.

2. Lack of spare wheel (this is the common one): BMW thinks it's no problem to change tires after a puncture. Either they want to make business out of it or they are too stubborn to accept their mistake of not providing one. RFT is fine but no spare is unacceptable.

3. Manual side blinds: It is pain to operate the blinds manually when you have a baby seat on rear seat. And you need side blinds more often than the rear one.

4. Non availability of sports mats: I asked BMW to provide me sports mats with red borders but still didn't get it. Very sloppy.

Conclusion:

Well, I am completely happy with my decision of buying this car even if it means I have no money left to buy anything for next five years.

Even if you are bankrupt after buying this car, driving it makes you forget that and that's what really matters. There are probably more VFM cars in market but then if you see value in everything then we wouldn't have seven wonders of the world (or is it eight?!).

So far the car has had no niggles and hope it remains same going forward. Haven't taken BSI yet which I might not opt for as I believe BMW is quite reliable. Oh man, this statement is going to attract lot of bricks and bats.

I will most definitely keep this thread alive by adding my feedback we both age. Lot of 3M reviews would also be added here as I would be blowing rest of my money there to keep the car in good shape. Oh wait! I don't have any left.

From 3M I remember that I got PPF done on bumpers, ORVMs, run boards and bonnet. Super expensive I tell you. Here are some pictures of the job:

A dream come true! My BMW 320d Sportline -Now Sold-dsc_0936-1280x960-1280x960.jpg

A dream come true! My BMW 320d Sportline -Now Sold-dsc_0951-1280x960-1280x960.jpg

A dream come true! My BMW 320d Sportline -Now Sold-dsc_0962-1280x960-1280x960.jpg

Well, to sum it up here is a picture and I must say the car truly lives up to this line: "Freude am Fahren"

A dream come true! My BMW 320d Sportline -Now Sold-320d.jpg

Last edited by the_skyliner : 25th March 2014 at 12:49.
the_skyliner is offline   (43) Thanks
Old 26th March 2014, 16:10   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Initial Ownership Section. Thanks for sharing!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2014, 16:31   #5
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Excellent review Sumeet.
I will never forget that lavasa meet when you got this beast, even when it was just one day old. On our way all I was doing was admiring it in the RVM's of my bike. The drive up lavasa was amazing and I could see you enjoying the sports mode to the fullest.
I totally agree about the F30 and E90 confusion. But well after I got to see your car, I can totally agree on one thing. The F30 does not have the love at first sight type looks (like the F10),
it slowly grows over you.
All the best! Drive safe
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2014, 16:40   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
Excellent review Sumeet.
I will never forget that lavasa meet when you got this beast, even when it was just one day old. On our way all I was doing was admiring it in the RVM's of my bike. The drive up lavasa was amazing and I could see you enjoying the sports mode to the fullest.
I totally agree about the F30 and E90 confusion. But well after I got to see your car, I can totally agree on one thing. The F30 does not have the love at first sight type looks (like the F10),
it slowly grows over you.
All the best! Drive safe
Thanks, Asit for the kind words!
F10 is indeed the best looking beemer in my opinion as well.
the_skyliner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2014, 16:41   #7
BHPian

Nice Review Sumeet and the car looks stunning in black(My favorite color).
Wish you many years of driving pleasure with this beauty.
RajeswaranK7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2014, 17:40   #8
BHPian

Nice ownership report Sumeet. You have covered every aspects of the initial ownership experience. By the way have you taken your beemer for service in Bavaria Motors?

Needless to say Sukiwa's photography is an icing on the cake..
MaxTorque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2014, 17:43   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTorque View Post
Nice ownership report Sumeet. You have covered every aspects of the initial ownership experience. By the way have you taken your beemer for service in Bavaria Motors?

Needless to say Sukiwa's photography is an icing on the cake..
Thanks, MaxTorque!

So far I haven't visited their service station but would be doing it soon as I want to know if I can get the bluetooth music streaming activated on iDrive. Will post the experience after that.
Old 26th March 2014, 18:03   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Finally the review is up. I am still undecided on the 3M films. Saw a couple of cars and the edges start showing in a few weeks with dust accumulating there.

Every review just teaches you something extra. I didn't know there was a boot release lever on the right side. I was till now just unlocking the whole car and thereby unlocking the boot too. Also I didn't know that there was a sports + mode ( although it would be fun only on curves I guess).

Man I miss those sports seats.

Many many congratulations on the car!
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2014, 18:29   #11
BHPian

Congratulations the_skyliner! She is indeed a beauty. Your pre booking thoughts echoed mine. I was facing the same dilemma last year. But the attitude of Bavaria put me off and I went with the C250. Also the 320 scraped its belly on my parking ramp while the Merc did not. Silly criterion I know.

I am happy to see that you are investing in paint protection. Please PM me the cost breakup of the car and the PPF. For academic reasons only.

Thanks! And congratulations once more. Wish you many happy miles in the 320d.

Oh and do get BSI. These things will make your eyes water with their service bills. And the ASC guys think most owners of German cars are frivolous with their money.
BuBooMan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2014, 18:51   #12
Senior - BHPian

Nice review. Loved the color of the car. BMW is my favorite brand among the Germans.

Am very interested in knowing what was the final deal you got. If not comfortable sharing here do PM me the same.

Glad to see heart ruling the mind in your decision. No point in earning money when we can't get what the heart wants.
Enjoy your ride!
harry10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2014, 19:03   #13
BHPian

Amazing review! I recommend going through the break in period and then getting the diesel tronic tuning box. Best 20k I have ever spent! Congrats and great pics as well. If you have any ownership questions please don't hesitate to pm me.
i<3turbo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2014, 21:11   #14
Team-BHP Support

Congrats on the car. Great choice man. It really is a fun car. And those are some great pics.

The button next to Lim, adjusts the limiter speed, you will see the little green dot move higher and lower when you use those buttons.

Also if I may suggest, change the number plates to IND or the Euro style plates.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2014, 21:42   #15
Team-BHP Support

Congratz a dream car for many of us and you already own one The small movement after park brake engaging is normal and associated with all around disc brake set up.

Service pack is a must have if you plan to keep it for long period, you can take it at later stage before you run out of default cover, but dont even think twice on this!
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed