Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2015, 20:21   #76
BHPian

Re: Candy white 2014 Skoda Rapid Elegance comes home

Update:

Clocked about 18,000 KMS without any hassles so far. The car is an absolute bliss on highways and driveability in city is good as well owing to its good low end torque. With light footed drives on highways I'm getting FE of 23-25 KMPL and in heavily cramped city roads 15-16 KMPL. Attaching a snap of MID during my recent trip to Hyderabad.

Candy white 2014 Skoda Rapid Elegance comes home-photo-280215-11-16-08-amcompressed.jpg

Fender-Bender:

This mishap happened 2 days back on NH5, near Vijayawada Airport when a half-witted truck driver switched lanes absurdly, which costed me a dent and scrapings over right side quarter panel. I am yet to visit the service center for repair. Will update the repair costs and quality of body work in a couple of weeks!

Candy white 2014 Skoda Rapid Elegance comes home-photo-150315-9-09-59-amcompressed.jpg
Old 27th April 2015, 13:34   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pferdestarke View Post
Projector light in low beam
Attachment 1194598
Hi Pferdestarke, Could you please help me with one query? I understand that the rapid projectors work in Low beam. My question is when you flick to high beam, does only the halogen reflector work or the does the projector also switch to Hi beam (Bi xenon type). I checked out the i20 active and the projector in that is bi xenon. i.e both for low and High beam.

Also, Do you plan to upgrade to HIDs. Thanks
Old 28th April 2015, 15:11   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Bean View Post
My question is when you flick to high beam, does only the halogen reflector work or the does the projector also switch to Hi beam (Bi xenon type). I checked out the i20 active and the projector in that is bi xenon. i.e both for low and High beam.
As I stated before in the initial posts of my ownership thread, the projector lamp dims out a bit on switching to high beam. And yes, i20 active gets Bi-Xenon lamps.

You can check how Rapid's headlamps work in different modes here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Bean View Post
Also, Do you plan to upgrade to HIDs
I've been driving my Rapid for more than 1.5 years and I never felt the need for headlight upgrade. So, not considering HIDs, at least not for now.
Old 30th April 2015, 10:56   #79
BHPian

In City driving conditions - the lighting is adequate - however I keep on adjusting the beam,, mine is TDI Elegance,

But on Highways, I always felt a need to upgrade my Headlamps, I dont want to go for higher capacity bulbs - as they void Warranty - I have a 5 year warranty, and don't want to mess that..
Any other way to improve the illumination - without voiding the warranty?

Quote:
I've been driving my Rapid for more than 1.5 years and I never felt the need for headlight upgrade. So, not considering HIDs, at least not for now.
Old 1st May 2015, 17:18   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemant_Joshi View Post
Any other way to improve the illumination -
without voiding the warranty?
AFAIK the only possibility you're left with, in that case is upgrading the bulbs to third party manufacturers like Philips X-treme vision or Osram nightbreakers with the OEM specifications. The improvement in illumination will be just marginal though!
Old 2nd May 2015, 21:24   #81
BHPian

I am going ahead and will get the bulb's changed,
I wont mind investing, even for a small improvement, ,

Quote:
AFAIK the only possibility you're left with, in that case is upgrading the bulbs to third party manufacturers like Philips X-treme vision or Osram nightbreakers with the OEM specifications. The improvement in illumination will be just marginal though!
Old 5th May 2015, 07:15   #82
BHPian

Quote:
I am going ahead and will get the bulb's changed
Between Philips Xtreme vision and Osram Nightbreakers, Philips claims that Xtreme visions are +100% brighter where as Osram rates their bulbs to be +90% brighter. But if you like whitish hue to your head lamp illumination go for Nightbreakers.

Leave an update once you've upgraded the bulbs.
Old 5th May 2015, 09:21   #83
Senior - BHPian

Candy white 2014 Skoda Rapid Elegance comes home

Quote:
I am going ahead and will get the bulb's changed,
I wont mind investing, even for a small improvement, ,

Why don't you go for Xenon bulbs? If you can source 4300K Philips Xenon kit, it will be the best. But usually Philips is selling 6000K kits which are slightly purpleish in appearance but light up the road perfectly well. The kit comes with its ballasts and it will in no way void your warranty nor the wires are cut. Try epitstop.in here (http://epitstop.in/Conversion-Kits-catid-27345-page-1.html#page=3) to source the kit and then get it installed by your trusty mechanic at a local shop. Go for Osram 4200K kit, it will give you an OE look. Night breakers and X-treme vision bulbs will only give you a white tint and no improvement in beam throw and focus. They are good bulbs if you want to change your highbeam H1 bulbs. Not for the projector set up.

Last edited by adi_petrolhead : 5th May 2015 at 09:24.
Old 19th July 2015, 13:30   #84
BHPian

Update: Had been through some ill-starred events in the recent times. About a month back while cruising in a gaily manner on NH-5 the instrument cluster started flashing engine heating coil malfunction lamp alongside a consistently glowing engine malfunction lamp. Pulled over my car to the service lane and did a quick inspection under the hood for any visible leaks and damage to wiring harness but couldn't find any. Apart from the warning lamps I couldn't feel any difference in the performance/sound/vibrations. So I drove it carefully to the service center where they quickly did an OBD scan and diagnosed that the fuel pump has conked off and replaced it free-of-cost under warranty. But my ill-luck seems to be tough, the instrument cluster started flashing the lamps again yesterday and I gotta visit the service center tomorrow. (Touchwood!)
Old 31st July 2015, 18:58   #85
BHPian

Update: Got the car back on 22th July. This time it was some miscreant rodent which chewed on the wiring harness and thankfully no damage to the other components. The wiring harness was replaced and was charged Rs.1100. Car is now riding as it should be and waiting for it's second service which should be done once it clocks on another 1500KMS.

In spite of some minor niggles, this European machine still manages to bring up a wide grin on my face every time I press it hard. Loving this so much!
Old 11th August 2015, 10:04   #86
BHPian

Hai Guys,
I finally went for a Xenon HID Kit for my Projector / Low beam, from Skoda A.S.S.
Fitted "GENOME" Xenon HID Kit, although I could get to see the make of the Bulb, I went with it because Skoda was fitting the same in their A.S.S and Warranty will be intact, no concerns regarding that..
Tried sourcing Philips or Osram Xenon Kit, enquired at couple of shops in Pune, but could not get hold of it. I was not comfy buying online (need to locate somebody reliable to fit the stuff), so decided I will go with what Skoda was providing.

Cost was Rs.12,500/-
I think its on expensive side, as one of the Guys I enquired told me, He can get a Philips Kit for Rs.9,500/-, I waited for him for couple of days, but Guy was not serious nor displayed any urgency to get the job done despite followups,

I have not done any highway drive after this, but in city, seem much much better than Stock lighting.
The Bulbs are of 55 watts and 5000 K rating, Skoda is using 5000 k rated bulbs only, and they informed that same unit is being used in Superb and Octavia.

I am intending to change my High Beam and Fog Lamps as well to either Philips or Osram,

Quote:
Between Philips Xtreme vision and Osram Nightbreakers, Philips claims that Xtreme visions are +100% brighter where as Osram rates their bulbs to be +90% brighter. But if you like whitish hue to your head lamp illumination go for Nightbreakers.

Leave an update once you've upgraded the bulbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Why don't you go for Xenon bulbs? If you can source 4300K Philips Xenon kit, it will be the best. But usually Philips is selling 6000K kits which are slightly purpleish in appearance but light up the road perfectly well. The kit comes with its ballasts and it will in no way void your warranty nor the wires are cut. Try epitstop.in here (http://epitstop.in/Conversion-Kits-c...-1.html#page=3) to source the kit and then get it installed by your trusty mechanic at a local shop. Go for Osram 4200K kit, it will give you an OE look. Night breakers and X-treme vision bulbs will only give you a white tint and no improvement in beam throw and focus. They are good bulbs if you want to change your highbeam H1 bulbs. Not for the projector set up.
Old 13th March 2016, 17:34   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Hai Guys,
I finally went for a Xenon HID Kit for my Projector / Low beam, from Skoda A.S.S.
Fitted "GENOME" Xenon HID Kit
I am intending to change my High Beam and Fog Lamps as well to either Philips or Osram,
I am glad to know that you upgraded to Xenon HID kit for your projector lamps. How, in your opinion, do these upgraded lamps fare on the dark highways???

Did you upgrade your fog lamps and high beam too?

If yes, can you please give us some details on these upgrades. I drive a lot on the highways and find the stock lamps just inadequate during night.

Last edited by cruising_rapid : 13th March 2016 at 17:35. Reason: Spelling errors
Old 13th March 2016, 18:19   #88
BHPian

Hi Cruising_Rapid,
Thank-you, Ya, the Xenon's are definitely better than stock setup, however I am not 100℅ satisfied..
On dark highways, there is about 30/40 ℅ better visibility than stock bulbs,
I also put Philips Xtreme Vision +130 for High Beam, these bulbs are really good,
Fog lamps are stock, I do want to upgrade, but not sure which bulbs, any recommendations?

My suggestion, If you want to upgrade, go for Philips kit, maybe its better than Gnome, just my feeling., I had to go for this only to save my warranty and extended warranty, SKODA ASS do not permit any other kit, and you have to buy from them, blackmail but can't help..

If you travel a lot on highways, definitely go for Xenon's and also change the High beams to Philips, Upgrade Fogs also, Safety should be paramount..

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising_rapid View Post
I am glad to know that you upgraded to Xenon HID kit for your projector lamps. How, in your opinion, do these upgraded lamps fare on the dark highways???

Did you upgrade your fog lamps and high beam too?

If yes, can you please give us some details on these upgrades. I drive a lot on the highways and find the stock lamps just inadequate during night.
Old 12th April 2016, 17:53   #89
BHPian

30,000 KMS Update:

Tyres have worn out graciously. Looking to swap them with Continental CC5. Any views on this rubber?

And these miscreant rats are getting on my nerves. Last week they chewed on some wires again and I had to get it repaired for 1700 INR. Any tips to keep out these rodents from the engine bay?

The car still manages to maintain the grin on my face (Yes! After all this time). God! I'm addicted to that brutal pull every time the turbo kicks in.
Old 14th April 2016, 09:40   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
30,000 KMS Update:

Tyres have worn out graciously. Looking to swap them with Continental CC5. Any views on this rubber?
My Rapid is running on 195/60/R15 Michelin Primacy 3ST.

Is your car on 14 " or 15 " rims ?

If 14 " - Do consider Michelin XM2.

Last edited by F150 : 14th April 2016 at 09:46.
F150 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks