Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2014, 13:37   #136
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post

I might be hypercritical, but if I were to switch off the audio completely, the glass does rattle ever so slightly over rough roads, and after a long drive yesterday (for the Mumbai-Pune-Nashik mega meet) I noticed a slight squeaking from the seat belt holder on my side when I went over bad roads. Minor niggles, but they did gnaw away at me.
I did notice the same. At slight rattle can be heard on absolute silence. In fact was discussing the same with one of the bhpians when been out for a drive. The seat belt I haven't noticed, but I remember the test car having some kind of squeaks.

Quote:

Recently, while at a tyre shop, k learnt of Oko tyre sealant, a goop that is a preventive puncture sealants. I'll spare you guys the marketing speak and simply say that you fill it in your tyres after fully inflating it, and a certain amount sticks to the treads while a certain amount keeps rotating in the tyre. It'll apparently plug any puncture it comes upon and is in use even in military spec vehicles. Took a punt on it, at ₹750 per tyre, it was worth a gamble if it makes my driving experience puncture free.

Had this sealant filled in my bike tires. I must have had two punctures in the entire year. Very good product, you won't regret.
Old 28th July 2014, 13:39   #137
Senior - BHPian

Re: Back in Black! A VW Jetta Highline DSG comes home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarendranath View Post
Had this sealant filled in my bike tires. I must have had two punctures in the entire year. Very good product, you won't regret.
Good to hear that Amar, because I hadn't even heard of such a thing until I dropped into the shop. Heartening to hear of your positive experience with it, at least I know i haven't been taken for a ride
Old 28th July 2014, 13:55   #138
Team-BHP Support

Rohan that kind of tire sealant is quite common, not so much in India though. Slime is popular in the US. But what I've heard is that it messes with the balancing of the wheels and causes vibrations are higher speeds due to the liquid inside the tire.
Old 28th July 2014, 14:10   #139
Senior - BHPian

Yup Akshay, read about slime being quite popular as I researched more on the topic, as also one other brand I don't quite recall. I do need to get the wheel balancing done soon, hopefully that nips any of those issues in the bud. As for issues at speed, didn't quite experience anything amiss on the drive yesterday, although it just might be that I didn't notice it at all, although the odds on that happening are pretty slim. Let's see how it fares in the long term.
Old 28th July 2014, 21:58   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Rohan that kind of tire sealant is quite common, not so much in India though. Slime is popular in the US. But what I've heard is that it messes with the balancing of the wheels and causes vibrations are higher speeds due to the liquid inside the tire.
Akshay i'm not sure on this but i feel the slime forms a protective layer on the insides of the tire. Even at speeds above 80kmph i never felt any from the bike. So unless i'm missing something i feel it shall remain the same for the cars. With time, turtle liker shall let us know how it goes.
Old 28th July 2014, 22:11   #141
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Akshay i'm not sure on this but i feel the slime forms a protective layer on the insides of the tire. Even at speeds above 80kmph i never felt any from the bike. So unless i'm missing something i feel it shall remain the same for the cars. With time, turtle liker shall let us know how it goes.
Akshay is right. When you fill the slime it is gooey. You need to rotate the tyre for a while and let it spread inside evenly. If it doesn't spread evenly or if you park the car for a long time when the slime is not dried up it will all accumulate in one side of the tyre. This causes the vibrations and balancing becomes a pain.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2014, 22:12   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i'm not sure on this but i feel the slime forms a protective layer on the insides of the tire.
Indeed it does. 300 ml was inserted per tyre (that figure changes depending on the tyre size) and 250 ml will stick to the tyre while 50 ml will be free and constantly in motion.

I'm hoping I don't even notice it at work, that would be the ultimate validation of it In any case, I'm curious to see how it works out.
Old 28th July 2014, 22:17   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Akshay is right. When you fill the slime it is gooey. You need to rotate the tyre for a while and let it spread inside evenly. If it doesn't spread evenly or if you park the car for a long time when the slime is not dried up it will all accumulate in one side of the tyre. This causes the vibrations and balancing becomes a pain.

I mean to say after the rotation is done. The protective layer shall get glued to the inner wall. After that no issues in particular. I remember the manual rotation that was done for my bike.
Old 29th July 2014, 01:58   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post

This was one thing that I wanted to have, but was discouraged by the Tyre professionals - for valid reasons.

In theory: Even if one runs the car for a distance (in city traffic), immediately after getting the sealant filled, it may not spread evenly - This may warrant more weights during wheel balancing. Also, since some amount of fluid will always be circulating inside the tyre, I wonder if the term "wheel balancing" will have any meaning at all...

In general, this is a very good option and will be eagerly waiting to know the feedback from Rohan..
Old 29th July 2014, 10:24   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Rohan that kind of tire sealant is quite common, not so much in India though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
In general, this is a very good option and will be eagerly waiting to know the feedback from Rohan..
I love how I learn something new on T-BHP each day. For instance, today I learnt my name is Rohan

Signed,
The one that likes Turtles a.k.a. Karan
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2014, 10:39   #146
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I love how I learn something new on T-BHP each day. For instance, today I learnt my name is Rohan

Signed,
The one that likes Turtles a.k.a. Karan

Apologies from my side for changing your name lol.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2014, 10:59   #147
Senior - BHPian

Excuse me if Iam missing something here, but isn't the first official service interval at 15k in the Jetta? Octy 7.5K first inspection was only and only inspection. No parts changed no oil topped up, nothing whatsoever. Even the MID from the beginning showed only 15K service reminder up to 100 odd days before.
Old 29th July 2014, 11:13   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Excuse me if Iam missing something here, but isn't the first official service interval at 15k in the Jetta? Octy 7.5K first inspection was only and only inspection. No parts changed no oil topped up, nothing whatsoever. Even the MID from the beginning showed only 15K service reminder up to 100 odd days before.
That is correct. This is just a checkup. I asked them what they're going to be doing as part of it and they said they'd check oil and fluid levels, only top up what's needed and then do a regular inspection of the car, including the underbody. That's followed by a wash, which I think i'll pass up on as the rains will make the car dirty again in a jiffy.

Incidentally, I had received a call about 1.5 months back saying that the checkup is due at the 6 month marker and I'd get a reminder about it and I promptly did. It's nothing much, but since it's mandated by VW I'll take it in. Should take 3-4 hours tops is what I'm told.
Old 29th July 2014, 11:40   #149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Incidentally, I had received a call about 1.5 months back saying that the checkup is due at the 6 month marker and I'd get a reminder about it and I promptly did. It's nothing much, but since it's mandated by VW I'll take it in. Should take 3-4 hours tops is what I'm told.

Right, cos I never got a 7.5K reminder in the MID. Guess Skoda owners need to be more pro-active in maintenance of the car. So much so that when I called to book the 15K service, the service advisor confirmed at least 5 times that was I sure I had completed 15K?! She kept on insisting pls check and only come at 15K. What the heck? Its my choice whether I get it serviced at any mileage. However in the current case it was definitely 15k and even 400 kms on top of that. I guess she just couldn't believe that I logged almost 16K kms in 7 months.
Old 29th July 2014, 11:47   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Right, cos I never got a 7.5K reminder in the MID.
Maybe the 7.5k Kms checkup isn't there for Skoda cars. Good thing too, as it's a bit unnecessary. I fully intend to take the Extended Warranty and want to give VW no excuse to void it, hence I'm going in.

Quote:
So much so that when I called to book the 15K service, the service advisor confirmed at least 5 times that was I sure I had completed 15K?!

I guess she just couldn't believe that I logged almost 16K kms in 7 months.
Absolutely, completely your prerogative to decide when to take the car in. But spare a thought for the poor service rep...you can't fault her for double-checking, you really have run the car a lot, your running is more in a diesel car's territory

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks