Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2014, 09:22   #151
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
Maybe the 7.5k Kms checkup isn't there for Skoda cars. Your running is more in a diesel car's territory

But 7.5K first 'inspection' is mentioned in the warranty booklet as well. Guess they didnt bother to set the reminder in the MID. Even though I am so anxious with the car all the time that i'll happily take it every 5K kms to the service station. Initial fuel pump failure leaving me stranded at a busy cross road and no reflector triangle meant a lot of cars scraped me over as I was trying to protect my car :@

Yeah, running has been high. I run the Octy at least 350 kms a week, sometimes more. Yet to go on a cross country trip though.. Again anxiety related to bad fuel on highway bunks kicks in, makes me wanna use the good ol tank of an Innova.
Old 30th July 2014, 10:07   #152
Senior - BHPian

Re: Back in Black! A VW Jetta Highline DSG comes home

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
But 7.5K first 'inspection' is mentioned in the warranty booklet as well. Guess they didnt bother to set the reminder in the MID.
Quite likely that they didn't find a way to program it in and left it that, or just simply forgot to. VW programmed an 'oil change' when everyone in their right mind knows that most likely won't be the case. That was their workaround. Not the best, but it got the job done.

Quote:
Yeah, running has been high. I run the Octy at least 350 kms a week, sometimes more. Yet to go on a cross country trip though.. Again anxiety related to bad fuel on highway bunks kicks in, makes me wanna use the good ol tank of an Innova.
Good to see you're putting in the miles with the Octy, it's meant to be driven and driven. You should do a trip at some point, you know it'll be a blast, guess you'll just have to check for reliable fuel points along the way!
Old 30th July 2014, 12:27   #153
BHPian

Quote:
I had this concern too with my Superb. So what I do is fill up full tank when leaving city. Then on the highway start finding a pump when my tank is 1/4th full. If I find a good pump, great! Fill up completely. If the pump doesnt seem very reliable and I absolutely need to fill up, use law of averages and fill up to the point where half the fuel volume present in tank is still from the city. Later once I find a good pump, fill up completely.

Sure this cannot guarantee fuel related issues but it at least gives me some peace of mind knowing that my car is running on 50% adulterated fuel at most.
Old 4th August 2014, 01:33   #154
Senior - BHPian

Had my first minor concern with the car some time back. Rolled into a fuel pump and the fuel lid just wouldn't open come what may. The attendant pulled out a key to try and pry it open and I quickly stopped him. Wedging a card in worked in prying it open, but it's a minor irritant and inconvenient fix.

It's a good thing I've got a checkup scheduled this Saturday, I'll call VW in the morning and inform them about this so that it'll hopefully be fixed on Saturday itself. Let's see how that goes.
Old 4th August 2014, 02:00   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Rolled into a fuel pump and the fuel lid just wouldn't open come what may. The attendant pulled out a key to try and pry it open and I quickly stopped him. Wedging a card in worked in prying it open, but it's a minor irritant and inconvenient

May be it's dirt and rubble that's jamming it? Continuous rains might have caused this. Or even the grease in the hinges might have worn off.
Old 4th August 2014, 08:52   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarendranath View Post
May be it's dirt and rubble that's jamming it? Continuous rains might have caused this. Or even the grease in the hinges might have worn off.
That struck me too. In any case, I'm not touching it until VW sees it. This did happen previously in the City I had and the problem then was a faulty spring mechanism, so I'm fairly certain it's no biggie.
Old 4th August 2014, 09:23   #157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Rolled into a fuel pump and the fuel lid just wouldn't open come what may.
Happened recently with my Superb. Similar mechanism. Problem was sorted by removing the key and locking and unlocking the car. That set the lock in motion. Needs some lubrication I presume.
Old 4th August 2014, 09:25   #158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Problem was sorted by removing the key and locking and unlocking the car. That set the lock in motion. Needs some lubrication I presume.
Tried locking/unlocking the car while I was at the pump, had no luck opening it whatsoever. It was just...stuck. Hopefully it's just a lubrication issue and will be fixed quickly.
Old 7th August 2014, 21:06   #159
BHPian

Hi iliketurtles, I had a similar problem somedays back in the pump. But it finally opened after recycling the ignition keys couple of time. My car is also due for the first oil change after 9 days. Am planning to go for extended warranty too, Please let me know how much you paid for it.
Old 8th August 2014, 00:04   #160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airforce1 View Post
Hi iliketurtles, I had a similar problem somedays back in the pump. But it finally opened after recycling the ignition keys couple of time. My car is also due for the first oil change after 9 days. Am planning to go for extended warranty too, Please let me know how much you paid for it.
Hiya. I tried doing that, but it refused to budge even so. Let's see what they say when I take it in. The fix might be more innocuous than I imagine!

I am planning to take the Extended Warranty next month, the price for it was Rs. 46,xxx. I'll find out the exact amount and get back to you, it's an odd figure.
Old 8th August 2014, 00:14   #161
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Rolled into a fuel pump and the fuel lid just wouldn't open come what may.
Could be a bad actuator as well. Sometimes the attenders at the fuel pumps can be a bit harsh and they slap the fuel lid to close it instead of giving it a gentle push. I had noticed this on several occasions and choose to close the lid myself nowadays.

Do keep us posted on how it goes.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2014, 00:37   #162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Could be a bad actuator as well. Sometimes the attenders at the fuel pumps can be a bit harsh and they slap the fuel lid to close it instead of giving it a gentle push. I had noticed this on several occasions and choose to close the lid myself nowadays.

Do keep us posted on how it goes.

True that. I am a little bit (ok, more than a little bit) paranoid about the car and do stand by it at all times at the pump, even when the cover being opened/closed. Never had anyone treat the cover roughly, although that's always a possibility with careless attendants.

I'll keep in mind your point about it being the actuator and keep you guys posted on it. I've got a message from VW letting me know who'll be servicing the car so I'll give him a call tomorrow morning and bring him up to speed.
Old 8th August 2014, 01:04   #163
Senior - BHPian

You can check if there are some dust in the contact points. I dont know if the actuator is located at the same spot in your MK6 but it shouldnt be much different.

I am a DIY guy and i would have actually ripped open to find the root cause on one of my sweet saturdays

The best thing about (i think i can say German cars in general) jetta is that the way the car is build, its one of the easiest to work on at home. Removing things and putting it back is so well designed that you would be surprised it takes few screws to remove even the bumper. I have completely removed those truck cladding and worked on my own reverse camera and i can say removing and mounting it back is actually a piece of cake. Considering it takes twisted head and some sprain around the neck to clean a Swift air conditioner fan the Jetta is fairly simple in most of the areas.

The door panels are locked by plastic clips and minimal screws.

I am sharing this to say DIY in the TDI is one of the reason why i went after the Jetta. The web is full of DIY for the TDI and some are very complex ones as well.
Old 8th August 2014, 09:04   #164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
You can check if there are some dust in the contact points. I dont know if the actuator is located at the same spot in your MK6 but it shouldnt be much different.

The web is full of DIY for the TDI and some are very complex ones as well.
Thanks for the video, VW2010. I'll go take a look-see at the car when I step down in some time. Could be the actuator, could be a lack of lubrication, I really don't know at this point.

I'm not much of a DIY guy to be honest,but I have read a fair few DIY's for VW group cars, which gives an idea of how easy they can be to work on. Thanks again for the heads up, perhaps I'll be inspired to indulge in some DIY at some future point inn time
Old 9th August 2014, 16:52   #165
Senior - BHPian

So I just got the car back this morning after a quick check-up from the VW guys and it was all very painless, but it's still early days in my relationship with them, so I wouldn't form an opinion of them so easily!

Nonetheless, they were very transparent and communicative at all points in time, so to that. I got an SMS about 3-4 days telling me who my service rep was, so I got in touch with him and explained the fuel lid issue, asked him to keep an actuator in stock just in case it had to be changed. He called me back after about 2 hours and confirmed that he had done just that, so that was me quite satisfied.

Turns out the spring had got jammed and so they fixed that and I was good to go. I was promised I'd get the car by 4:00, but I got it back by about 12:30 with the checkup done. In the interim, I got constant SMS' from VW about the service, including one when it was ready for delivery. They were hyper-communicative at all points of time, and that was fine by me.

The only expense on my part was the engine oil I topped up, which was Rs. 970 for a litre of Castrol Magnatec Professional. The remainder of it was given to me as a gift. How very thoughtful So all in all, a good experience at VW, but I'd much rather judge their quality during an actual service and not just during a checkup like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by airforce1 View Post
Am planning to go for extended warranty too, Please let me know how much you paid for it.
Hi! The Extended Warranty is available for Rs. 46,077, so do go for it. It is pricey, but the peace of mind is priceless.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks