Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 21st December 2017, 16:31   #421
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Back in Black! A VW Jetta Highline DSG comes home

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
Can someone who has contacts in VW be able to get a definitive response please? I need to know urgently.

Thanks and cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
Even so, I'd say get it done, directive or not. Simple reason being that our climate and driving conditions are harsh and unforgiving, and its better to err on the side of caution.
+1 to that. With the VW cars, it is always better to err on the side of caution. In fact, my friend who changed the oil for his Octavia pushed me to change it during my 45K service. He said after the oil change, the car was butter smooth as if it was out of the showroom. My car has just done 47K km now, and by the 4th year service, it may be at 50K. I am planning to go ahead and change the DSG oil.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2018, 11:58   #422
Senior - BHPian

Power. The more we have of it, the more we want more of it.

Yesterday evening, I sauntered up the car as per usual and clambered in. Turned the key, and...nothing, save for the flickering of cabin lights and the MFD. It was a dance I knew all too well.

The battery had given up the ghost, almost 17 months after I installed a new one. Indeed, I chronicled the last battery change in this very thread. Sept 16, 2016 it was. And now, almost 17 months on. Kaput.

I had some warranty left on the battery (it was Exide, made in Spain), but had no faith in VW installed batteries any more. Thatís 2 batteries the car has chewed through in less than 4 years of ownership. Rather than send the car to VW and badger them for a warranty claim, leaving the car dead in the water for however long it would take to process, I decided to bite the bullet and place the call.

ďHello, Battery Bhai?Ē

I placed an order for a new battery (Amaron, 60 Ah, if you must know) late the previous evening and the new battery was installed and running by 10 this morning. I love the internet for the manner in which it has democratised access to sundry essentials. And for Twitter. Canít believe itís free.

The new battery wasnít free (duh), costing me ₹5264 with an exchange of the old battery. Not bad considering the old Exide cost me ₹8200 back in the day. Iíve heard good things about battery bhai (and Iíll lend my voice to that) and about Amaron (time will tell if itís all that), so hereís hoping for the best. This was a minor speedbump in the road, smoothly negotiated.

Back in Black! A VW Jetta Highline DSG comes home-adf474c7ac46448ab1fbc8dcdf38783e.jpeg

The pretender

Back in Black! A VW Jetta Highline DSG comes home-a706d3a9bb2d4c158575f3892d3a7cb2.jpeg

The real McCoy

Back in Black! A VW Jetta Highline DSG comes home-e560f61d1807402b827feec14b78c535.jpeg

Batterybhai hard at work

Back in Black! A VW Jetta Highline DSG comes home-6666ca0d0c5643d9ad45cf4f7dea10e7.jpeg

The dashboard threw up some Christmas lights, but normalised after 5 minutes.

Until next time then, drive safe
iliketurtles is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2018, 12:36   #423
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I decided to bite the bullet and place the call.
ďHello, Battery Bhai?Ē
Have heard good reviews from people using it, Glad worked out smoothly for you too, Was just curious and checking the battery they have available for 530d, Several of them showed up, However i wonder if they would also code the car with the new battery as that's needed while installing a new battery in a BMW. Anyone has got it done on a BMW?

Prices with exchange also seems nice, What would we do with out dead batteries anyways.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2018, 13:56   #424
Senior - BHPian

As far as I know, you can buy it outside, but will need to get it 'registered' at BMW via a specific software. Surely this can be done outside too, would save a bucketload in unnecessary fees.
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2018, 14:10   #425
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As far as I know, you can buy it outside, but will need to get it 'registered' at BMW via a specific software. Surely this can be done outside too, would save a bucketload in unnecessary fees.
Yeah totally, Last i heard the bucketload to replace a battery and code at BMW would cost around 40,000 INR for the 5 series, Now that's a big bucketload in unnecessary fees.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2018, 15:32   #426
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The battery had given up the ghost, almost 17 months after I installed a new one. Indeed, I chronicled the last battery change in this very thread. Sept 16, 2016 it was. And now, almost 17 months on. Kaput.
Looks like the Jetta batteries consistently fail just under two years. I too had the same sequence of events. First battery failed in about 16 months, replaced under warranty, second battery failed in the same duration, and me getting fed up and changing to Amaron. You made the right decision to go ahead with Amaron. This should last a long time definitely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
Yeah totally, Last i heard the bucketload to replace a battery and code at BMW would cost around 40,000 INR for the 5 series, Now that's a big bucketload in unnecessary fees.
Wow. It costs 40K to change a battery in BMW!!? Does the battery come under the extended warranty? If not, I guess I need to start a separate "BMW maintenenace fund"
graaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2018, 15:43   #427
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
You made the right decision to go ahead with Amaron. This should last a long time definitely.
Itís been all too common an occurrence on Jettaís, was an easy decision to switch to Amaron. Iím grateful for a community like this which made the decision a heck of a lot easier, I simply followed set precedents rather than hope for the best.

Quote:
Wow. It costs 40K to change a battery in BMW!!? Does the battery come under the extended warranty? If not, I guess I need to start a separate "BMW maintenenace fund"
the 40k is for the battery and its registration. No need for a maintenance fund for this; just keep a small piggy bank and if youíre like me, make it a swear jar. Youíll have enough to pay for BSI several times over in no time!
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2018, 15:43   #428
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
From BMW, Yes! Check this thread too, http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-resolved.html

Rare case but least we got to know the price is 45k for 7 series.

Usually battery in a BMW will last you till 5 years easy if you use your car frequently, I know a couple of guys who are on their 6th year and still on stock battery & the car is their daily driver, And yes it should be covered under extended warranty i suppose, However if your out of warranty, Getting one from a place like battery bhai for 14-15k & getting the battery coded from outside would be 50% cheaper.

Last edited by Tanveer_2558 : 6th February 2018 at 15:45.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2018, 01:30   #429
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post

Usually battery in a BMW will last you till 5 years easy if you use your car frequently, I know a couple of guys who are on their 6th year and still on stock battery & the car is their daily driver, And yes it should be covered under extended warranty i suppose, However if your out of warranty, Getting one from a place like battery bhai for 14-15k & getting the battery coded from outside would be 50% cheaper.
Our BMWs use AGM batteries, that's why they're as expensive as they are. And its recommended to use AGM type only, and not the regular ones. The car is also programmed as per an AGM battery. It is possible to code the the car for a regular batter, but it needs the original BMW diagnostic tool and it is quite complicated.
Akshay1234 is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2018, 20:34   #430
Senior - BHPian

Like milestones on the highway, time flies by rapidly even as youíre barely aware of it trickling away. And whatís worse is that when it comes to cars, years can easily be measured in dog years. Perhaps thatís not that far a stretch, because dogs and cars arenít all that different; theyíre both bundles of boundless joy, enter our lives and leave it ensuring itís never the same again, and they both love us unconditionally. Itís just that you need to be aware of the servicing bills when it comes to the big German dogs. They really do need a lot of TLC.

A little more than 60,000 kilometres and 4 years on from bringing the Jetta into our lives on Valentineís Day (for real), I think itís safe to say that I am still smitten by my steed. However, itís at that age when niggles start to crop up, but in my experience itís all well and good so long as you take time out for your ride and give it a lot of regular attention.

Which makes me think cars arenít that different from women either; a bit moody, hard to fathom at times, and yet you canít imagine life without them. Unless your lady is Japanese, in which case sheíll be highly efficient and youíll know what to expect every time you want to get some Ďwe timeí with her.

Enough of my meandering drivel though. Iíve not updated this thread for yonks, and I think itís time I gave a brief summary of things as they stand, along with a brief write-up on some of the more memorable things to know about ownership since I last updated it.

Vital stats
Odo: Approx. 63,000 KMS
Car: Still the same, last I checked
My bank balance: Still healthy, last time I checked

In the last 6 months or so, two issues caught my attention, one more annoyingly than the other, and youíll never guess which one it was.

No one forgets their first Check Engine Light

I still remember it like it was yesterday. We were cruising down the highway, enjoying a leisurely weekend drive when an XUV was trying to lay down the law as the alpha dog of the highway.

Hell to the no, I had to fight for Deutschland dominance. Heil Horsepower, baby!

Somewhere high above, the automotive gods were chuckling, for they knew what was in store. I put the pedal to the medal, left the XUV far behind me in a cloud of dust, smoke and the drone of a diesel, only to let him pass me easily after about a kilometer. The reason? I had gained access to an elite club that most Volkswagen owners dread. A tell-tale light glowed on my dash, and in my head I imagined a universe-splitting ĎNOOOOOOOOOOí escaping my lips. In reality, words failed me. Which is a pretty difficult task to achieve.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 1056
Size:  30.5 KB

As I drove home at about 50 KMPH with the AC off and the windows down (not a fun way to spend a sweltering Sunday, let me tell you), I sweated bullets as my mind raced through the possibilities even as I dared not race the car. In the end, it was much ado about nothing. A Mass Airflow Sensor had gone kaput, and it was replaced for the princely sum of Rs. 2,500. The cursed light, which I shall not mention again, hasnít returned as yet and I canít believe that I made such a big deal of my first time. But then, donít we all?

The indicator that comes and Glows as it pleases

The good (or bad) thing about todayís cars is theyíre essentially giant computers on wheels, and some can warn you about everything and anything thatís going awry with it. Thatís generally a good thing, except when you canít pinpoint what the light is telling you. To extend my dog and cars analogy, itís like a pooch barking at you incessantly and you donít know whatís going on in its canine cranium. Gets grating after a while.

About 2 weeks ago, on the way to Khopoli, I hit the Expressway and put the hammer down when the car had other ideas. It said ďNuh uhĒ and lifted said hammer back up and I couldnít put it down. A glow plug indicator was flashing on the dash, and the car just didnít accelerate as I knew it too. It was in some kind of limp home mode where it was perfectly drivable, but clearly off. I drove on to Khopoli and then back gingerly. Surprisingly, I powered the car off at some point during the drive and started it up later, and the error had vanished; the car drove as if everything was a figment of my imagination, right up until I wielded said hammer and the car again said ďHell to the no, dawgĒ and lit up again.

Back in Black! A VW Jetta Highline DSG comes home-2.jpg

Long story short, the car went to VW Kurla, who bizarrely gave me a quotation for 1.25 lakhs that included brake pads, discs, new tyres, and a new flywheel, among other things. But none of it seemed to correspond to how it would fix the Glow Plug Indicator.

Needless to say, I moonwalked the hell out of there with the car and went to VW Andheri, where the bill was a slightly more reasonable 0 rupees since they couldnít pinpoint the issue or replicate it. Whatís worse is that the car didnít store the codes or reflect that it ever happened at all. VW returned the car and asked me to send it back if it happened again. Which it did this previous weekend.

As you can imagine, itís no fun driving a car on the fritz, and doubly so when you like taking the car out on weekends and putting it through its paces. I hope like hell VW can pinpoint and fix the issue, because itís no fun being around a temperamental lady. As of now, Iím told that the Intercooler is choked, and that changing that and a faulty turbo hose will fix this issue, leading to a hefty bill as you might imagine. I get the sense itís just a faulty or dirty sensor, but I trust the VW advisor, and so the parts have been ordered. Any thoughts, anyone? Will share more on this developing story as I get further details.

Spoiler alert

Back in Black! A VW Jetta Highline DSG comes home-3.jpg

As the car comes up to its 5th year of ownership, I was looking to do a little something to gussy it up, which is where the spoiler and a pair of Akrapovic tips came into the picture. These two aesthetic mods set me back about $175, and Iím glad I bit the bullet before the rupee decided to audition for a Tom Petty cover band and do its best rendition of Free Falliní. All said and done, I donít have any ifs and butts to offer; it really spices up the carís derriere, and a teeny, tiny part of me wonders why I didnít do it earlier.

Back in Black! A VW Jetta Highline DSG comes home-7.jpg

Breaking, badly

Ladies can often be terrible drivers, not because of their driving skills, but rather because of how they treat the significant others in our lives, namely our rides. Take the one time the wife came to pick me from the airport. It was the most expensive airport pickup of my life, just slightly north of Rs. 6000. How, you ask? Simple. Take one magnetic mount. Attach it to a central A/C vent. Try to take it off said vent, and instead rip it clean off, complete with the vent, and lo presto. You have one expensive airport ride in the offing.

Back in Black! A VW Jetta Highline DSG comes home-5.jpg

I still havenít a clue how she suddenly became She Hulk, but here we are, one expensive lesson later. Lesson learnt: ladies arenít always the weaker sex.

Futurescope

As I see buddies and comrades switching their rides over to bigger, better things, I find myself standing where I am and asking myself Ďwhatís nextí? I donít have an answer for that yet, but I do know Iíll keep the car for at least 2-3 years more. It runs perfectly, outside of the small snafu with the Glow Plug light, and timely maintenance will ensure it stays that way.

Sure, the big costs are going to come my way in about 10,000 kilometres, but no point throwing out a baby because it crapped the bed, right? I guess Iíll know when I know, and until then my ride boldly goes where I go.

Back in Black! A VW Jetta Highline DSG comes home-6.jpg
iliketurtles is offline   (21) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2018, 11:36   #431
BHPian

Quote:
As I see buddies and comrades switching their rides over to bigger, better things, I find myself standing where I am and asking myself Ďwhatís nextí? I donít have an answer for that yet, but I do know Iíll keep the car for at least 2-3 years more. It runs perfectly, outside of the small snafu with the Glow Plug light, and timely maintenance will ensure it stays that way.

Sure, the big costs are going to come my way in about 10,000 kilometres, but no point throwing out a baby because it crapped the bed, right? I guess Iíll know when I know, and until then my ride boldly goes where I go.
I have to say i love your narration style, how creative and so much vocabulary. We share the same junction, mine is now 5.5 yrs young and i am keen to hold on to it for another year or two atleast. This is a timeless machine and with proper maintenance it will serve us poor souls, making us proud of having one unique all-rounder powerhouse.
Mission_PGPX is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2018, 13:44   #432
Senior - BHPian

Thanks man, much appreciated. Ironically, a buddy of mine was discussing upgrading his ride with me just this morning. I love a lot about the Jetta, including it’s reasonably priced all-round nature as you pointed out. Going up the food chain will prove to be a challenging task.
iliketurtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2018, 16:23   #433
BHPian

Quote:
I put the pedal to the medal, left the XUV far behind me in a cloud of dust, smoke and the drone of a diesel
Impressive, both the vocabulary and driving skills! All I can say is drive safe buddy

Last edited by Kishen.padiyar : 10th September 2018 at 16:24.
Kishen.padiyar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2018, 18:38   #434
Senior - BHPian

Tom & Jerry. Batman & Robin. Pepperoni & Pizza. Wile E. Coyote & The Roadrunner. Volkswagens & Check Engine Lights. These are some of the most iconic duos of our age. And really, have you owned a Volkswagen until it has truly owned you by popping the scariest light on the cluster from out of the blue?

Back in Black! A VW Jetta Highline DSG comes home-img_0946.jpg

Recently, I doubled down on the fun quotient of my life when I was hit by a Check Engine Light out of nowhere, the second time this year that this has happened. The first was a faulty, little-known (to me) sensor. The second time it was simply a crack pipe. Sorry, a cracked pipe. The turbo hose pipe, to be specific.

Back in Black! A VW Jetta Highline DSG comes home-img_1058.jpg
In other news, I realize I could make a living as a hand artist

One ordered part, and about two weeks later, I had less orange-induced nightmares in my life and a car that now seems to be running normal again, which is very welcome. Seeing the dash light up like a Christmas tree is a lot less so.

With 64,000 kilometers coming up in a few weeks, hereís hoping I get to enjoy many more miles filled with trouble-free smiles. Ciao ciao.
iliketurtles is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote