Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2014, 17:08   #76
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
I've already rated your thread a well deserved 5-stars. These ownership reports make me work harder each day so I'd be able to get myself a Jetta soon! Very well written.

Wouldn't it be amazing, if the Jetta I spotted this morning in Pune would be the one that you own. This one was Black, had transparent sticker on the number plate, Bombay (Andheri) registered and was turning towards Lavasa:

Many thanks for the kind words moralfibre, hope I'll continue keeping things lively on the thread

Haha that's me alright! Imagine the odds...in another 25 seconds I'll be gone towards Lavasa and there you are, right behind me. It's such a small world after all!

It's quite remarkable that you were able to notice that little sticker on the number plate, so congrats and mucho gracias for being the first person to spot me on team-BHP!
iliketurtles is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2014, 17:41   #77
Team-BHP Support

Re: Back in Black! A VW Jetta Highline DSG comes home

Congratulations! A well-written ownership review of an excellent car. Even though the Octavia is new, I agree that the Jetta Highline is a better choice in comparison, especially after the recent updates.

That iPhone cable for 4/4S is a bit of a joke though. When they do these facelifts/updates strangely no one noticed that Apple has moved on quite a while back!

Enjoy the car, and drive safe!
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2014, 19:10   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Congratulations! A well-written ownership review of an excellent car. Even though the Octavia is new, I agree that the Jetta Highline is a better choice in comparison, especially after the recent updates.

That iPhone cable for 4/4S is a bit of a joke though. When they do these facelifts/updates strangely no one noticed that Apple has moved on quite a while ago

Thanks vb-san I do tend to agree that the Jetta is a more vfm option compared to the Octavia. So much for volkswagen being the premium brand! The bells and whistles on the Octavia are something else though, I miss the memory seats particularly.

I feel that VW offered the cable as a relic from a bygone era. It was offered previously, so why fix something that isn't broken? Old isn't always gold though!
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2014, 23:40   #79
BHPian

Congratulations for owning such a beautiful car! Jetta was already the segment leader and with the minor facelift, it has gone even better. Look at those DRLs! Just one word, Beauty! Your car looks absolutely stunning.

Jetta has turned out to be a very reliable product from VW. Jetta makes up for a very ideal choice. DSG serves as icing on the cake. Autopsyche's facebook page has pictures of Jetta being tuned to ~200bhp, that too a DSG one. Driving the tuned jetta would be as good as a 3 series for a very less price! I would surely consider some tuning if I had the Jetta
harsh.m06 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2014, 07:01   #80
Team-BHP Support

Hi iliketurtles,

I have a question. During the test drive yesterday, I was trying the paddle shifts. I found some lag (about 1 second) when I up shifted using the paddle. As I was busy observing many things at that time, I did not investigate much into this. Now I remember, I was up-shifting without taking my foot off the accelerator. Have you observed any lag during up shifting? Do you find any difference in shifting time while shifting with accelerator pressed and shifting while accelerator released?
Old 24th March 2014, 09:08   #81
Senior - BHPian

Back in Black! A VW Jetta Highline DSG comes home

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsh.m06 View Post
Congratulations for owning such a beautiful car! Just one word, Beauty! Your car looks absolutely stunning.

Autopsyche's facebook page has pictures of Jetta being tuned to ~200bhp, that too a DSG one. Driving the tuned jetta would be as good as a 3 series for a very less price! I would surely consider some tuning if I had the Jetta
Thanks for your effusive praise and kind words harsh!

You've taken the words out of my mouth w.r.t. the driving pleasure a Jetta offers. I fully intend to tune it at some point, but will be targeting. The a4/passat's state of tune first, namely 177 BHP and 380 nm. The gearbox can handle upto 420nm of torque, so let's see. 200 BHP might be a possibility, but I might not go that far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
During the test drive yesterday, I was trying the paddle shifts. I found some lag (about 1 second) when I up shifted using the paddle. I was up-shifting without taking my foot off the accelerator. Have you observed any lag during up shifting? Do you find any difference in shifting time while shifting with accelerator pressed and shifting while accelerator released?
Hiya.

Your observation is correct. There is that slight bit of lag when changing gears manually without lifting your foot.

When using the paddle shifts, just take your foot off the accelerator for that one second and dab it back down, problem solved.

Last edited by iliketurtles : 24th March 2014 at 09:12.
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2014, 11:24   #82
Senior - BHPian

@iliketurtles

Excellent review and an awesome piece of equipment and refinement! I need a favour from you Can you take a picture of the lights above the number plate for me? I have seen facelift Jettas and seen them with LED lights at the number plate housing. I want to get them for my Octavia. If possible can you pls take out the light fitting itself, and post a picture of the bulb too? Thanks in advance.
Old 25th March 2014, 11:56   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
@iliketurtles

Excellent review and an awesome piece of equipment and refinement! I need a favour from you Can you take a picture of the lights above the number plate for me? I have seen facelift Jettas and seen them with LED lights at the number plate housing. I want to get them for my Octavia. If possible can you pls take out the light fitting itself, and post a picture of the bulb too? Thanks in advance.
Hiya Adi, thanks for dropping by

You confused me big time, making me wonder which LED's are present above the front number plate. Then I realised you're referring to the rear, am I correct?

I'll take a pic in the evening and post it, although I'm not sure the ones I have are LED's. I'm not brave enough to take out the light fitting myself, but I surely will post a few pics later on in the evening, rest assured.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

In other news...a few friends and I had decided to drive down to Lavasa for the previous weekend and I wasn't really kicked about Lavasa itself. My memory of the place is that it's too devoid of almost anything to do. I was looking forward to driving down the expressway itself since I was eager to test out the Jetta in its element.

It was, in a word, sublime. At slightly unholy triple-digit speeds (my lips are sealed, you won't get me to confess how much), she was steady as a rock and I had no idea of how much speed I had picked up until I actually glanced down at the speedometer. It was such a thrill. Whereas in my City I was acutely aware of making serious headway, triple-digit speeds were a non-event in the Jetta.

There was some traffic, but because I had got an early morning start it wasn't that much save for the ghats near Lonavala. The car was fully loaded with 5 adults and bags in the boot, and I scraped over 1 (uno. ek. one.) speedbreaker and it felt like a knife being driven into my bleeding heart. But other than those few seconds, flawless. Slowing down from speed was no issue either and she was just so assured to drive, this is what she was built for.

I am not a racer boy, but I have a very low threshold for idiocy. Approaching Lonavala, an Ecosport cut us off very, very aggressively and I was suitably cheesed off but I let it slide let my wife chide me for my behavior. Once we were back on the open road, I saw El Idioto pottering up ahead. I let loose my inner child and felt a leaden weight pull down my right foot. I had no control over my actions, I swear! She picked up speed with effortless ease and I blasted past El Loco Ecosporto before he could even realize it. Made me feel like an idiot, but it was so child-like in its exhilaration just getting my own back, really.

The wife was glum at not being given the keys for the ride up to Lavasa, so i let her have her way on the way back, although I took over again at Khopoli Just couldn't resist, really. The average, if you must ask, was about 15 Kmpl (measured) after a not-at-all sedate drive. I will tell you this though: the Mumbai-Pune expressway is overly romanticized in our heads. It's not a driver's stretch of tarmac in the truest sense of the term and I am itching to have another go on the Mumbai-Nashik expressway. Sadly, that can only take place 3 weekends from now since I'm kinda tied up with kiddie birthday and one man-child's wedding.

No matter. I might have nothing special to do and no real reason to drive to Nashik, but I might get a bottle of wine or two to mark the drive. Can't go all the way there and come back empty-handed, right?

Here's a pic of the Deutsche stallions relaxing at the resort proper, along with two pics of the view from the resort (called Ekaant, if you must ask...and yes, it really was peaceful).

Back in Black! A VW Jetta Highline DSG comes home EDIT: Sold!-photo1-1.jpg
The black stallion and red devil at rest

Back in Black! A VW Jetta Highline DSG comes home EDIT: Sold!-photo2.jpg
View 1, with more filters used than a filter coffee

Back in Black! A VW Jetta Highline DSG comes home EDIT: Sold!-photo3.jpg
View 2, just for you.

In all, I loved the weekend not for the cricket we played, laughs we had or peacefulness of it all (although all that was quite nice), but because the drive was as enjoyable as the destination itself. And now, Nashik beckons. To wine country I must go!

Last edited by iliketurtles : 25th March 2014 at 12:19. Reason: adding stuff
Old 25th March 2014, 12:18   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
Hiya Adi, thanks for dropping by

You confused me big time, making me wonder which LED's are present above the front number plate. Then I realised you're referring to the rear, am I correct?

I'll take a pic in the evening and post it, although I'm not sure the ones I have are LED's. I'm not brave enough to take out the light fitting myself, but I surely will post a few pics later on in the evening, rest assured.
Sorry to have confused you. Of course at the rear number plate Now its pretty simple and you dont need any tools to do so. You hold the fitting, slide it to the left, and pull from the other end. Much similar to opening the lid of a Tv remote I say. I am sure I saw several Jettas and all had LED lights. Aren't they white in colour when you turned on at night? Thanks, and I am waiting for the photo.
Old 25th March 2014, 12:23   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Its pretty simple and you dont need any tools to do so. You hold the fitting, slide it to the left, and pull from the other end. Much similar to opening the lid of a Tv remote I say. I am sure I saw several Jettas and all had LED lights. Aren't they white in colour when you turned on at night? Thanks, and I am waiting for the photo.
Ah, got it. Doesn't sound too complicated but I am a real clumsy oaf. Will have a dekko and try to get a pic of the bulb too. To be honest, I love the view head on and I have never observed or noticed the car's rear at night with the lights on. Really don't know if there are LED's at the rear or not, although I'd be pleasantly surprised if they were. I like learning new things everyday
Old 25th March 2014, 13:21   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ah, got it. Doesn't sound too complicated but I am a real clumsy oaf. Will have a dekko and try to get a pic of the bulb too. To be honest, I love the view head on and I have never observed or noticed the car's rear at night with the lights on. Really don't know if there are LED's at the rear or not, although I'd be pleasantly surprised if they were. I like learning new things everyday

Back at you on that one. I have exhausted all features on the Octavia and now want upgrades! Lol cant wait to get a steering wheel with paddle shifts, sorely missed on my TSI beast. Just asking, when I test drove the Jetta DSG, I thought the shifts were a little lagged. How do you feel in D mode? Seamless? Or is there a slightest of lag in upshifts? Downshifts happen 100% seamlessly and no jerks present thats for sure and the same was the case in my Laura DSG. How I miss the diesel's fuel efficiency. I am thinking of changing my other car, a Vento TDI with the Jetta TDI. May be in another year. Again, my Octavia is black too. Maintaining it is a night mare isn't it? Just got the advance treatment from 3M Car Care, the swirl marks have disappeared as of now. Got a decent package for one year from 3M at about 13000 INR after discount.
Old 25th March 2014, 13:34   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just asking, when I test drove the Jetta DSG, I thought the shifts were a little lagged. How do you feel in D mode? Seamless? Or is there a slightest of lag in upshifts?
The D Mode feels seamless, even as I keep on pushing to give me more, more, more. The upshifts are smooth, and I can only really tell it's upshifted if I'm looking at the tachometer to observe it. It's eerily seamless, to be honest. It upshifts exactly when I would want it to while in D, no fuss, no lag to talk of.

It is only when I try to use the paddle shifts that a semblance of lag comes in, easily solved by lifting off for that moment and going back on after the shortest of pauses.

Quote:
My Octavia is black too. Maintaining it is a night mare isn't it? Just got the advance treatment from 3M Car Care, the swirl marks have disappeared as of now. Got a decent package for one year from 3M at about 13000 INR after discount.
Tell me about it! I've had to work hard to maintain the shine. Never dabbled in detailing products before, but I have now and I'm actually enjoying it greatly! I don't know where, but very recently I (or the wife or a valet) had parked it somewhere and faint, invisible spots of paint/primer had dotted the car all over. Had to get that treated, and it's as good as new. Washing/waxing will all be down to me, was quoted 16000 for a complete car care package at Motoshines in Mumbai, mulling over whether I should take it or not. There are light swirl marks on the car (as it's bound to happen). Might fix that myself or get Motoshines to fix it when I take her in for the second paint sealant treatment after six months.

Buying a black car really is a full-time hobby though, it has to be said
Old 25th March 2014, 14:30   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Tell me about it! I've had to work hard to maintain the shine. Never dabbled in detailing products before, but I have now and I'm actually enjoying it greatly! I don't know where, but very recently I (or the wife or a valet) had parked it somewhere and faint, invisible spots of paint/primer had dotted the car all over. Had to get that treated, and it's as good as new. Washing/waxing will all be down to me, was quoted 16000 for a complete car care package at Motoshines in Mumbai, mulling over whether I should take it or not. There are light swirl marks on the car (as it's bound to happen). Might fix that myself or get Motoshines to fix it when I take her in for the second paint sealant treatment after six months.

Buying a black car really is a full-time hobby though, it has to be said
Go for the whole package and you won't regret it. The spots that you mention appear on my car too when parked under a tree for some shade or at night. They might also be on the glass if I am correct?
Old 25th March 2014, 14:57   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The spots that you mention appear on my car too when parked under a tree for some shade or at night. They might also be on the glass if I am correct?
Nope, not at all. It just happened all of a sudden, leaving a very grainy, rough feel to the surface of the paint almost all over the car. It was almost sandpaper like in its feel, as if grime and grit seemed to have stuck to the surface and couldn't be cleaned off. I could have bought a clay bar and all that and done it myself, but Motoshines was very close-by and I figured I'd see the quality of their work. The glass felt fine to me, bizarrely.

Let's see if I do a complete care package. Still early days, and so far I'm managing to keep the car pretty clean. If I feel it's too much of a hassle, I'll opt for the full monty after 6 months. I'll do something or the other from a professional detailer for sure though.

I was told about opti-coat, a 1 time treatment that lasts for the life of the car, and was quoted Rs. 27000 to do it. It caught my fancy, but is terribly expensive. Check out this thread on it, there are several more like it. Apparently it is particularly effective on black car and is scratch resistant, which makes it somewhat more appealing. Check out these pics of a Golf from that thread to see it's look 13 months down the road with a well-maintained car.
iliketurtles is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2014, 00:28   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am sure I saw several Jettas and all had LED lights. Aren't they white in colour when you turned on at night? Thanks, and I am waiting for the photo.
Hiya.

The lights above the rear number plates are indeed white LED's. I tried sliding the cover aside to get a clear pic of the bulb, to no avail.

What I have for you, however, a photo of the bulb in action at night that you can compare to this thread I came across. It talks about the LED bulbs and how to install it, along with detailed pics.

Back in Black! A VW Jetta Highline DSG comes home EDIT: Sold!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1395773748.749278.jpg

The part number you're looking for is 3AF-943-021-A and they're slightly pricey...about $50 a piece! But then, they'll be OEM and you won't get any errors after some very minor tinkering in VCDS.

Hope that helps!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks