Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2014, 20:40   #16
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Our family workhorse: Pre-owned Maruti WagonR

Update

1. Tyre change

Somewhere in the first week of March i went to the parking to bring something from the car. Upon reaching the parking i saw this-

Our family workhorse: Pre-owned Maruti WagonR-unnamed.jpg

Immediately me and my brother removed the F-R punctured Tyre and replaced it with the spare tyre. I came home and called my dad stating the problems with these jk and good years on the car. Dad agreed immediately and asked me to get new tyres. I took quotes from various dealers in and around my area and finalized Lokmanya tyres. I have purchased tyres for my activa and the Fazer from them too. Nothing to complain about, all experiences with them have been good. I was initially planning to get MRF ZV2K. Upon reading some threads about Wagon-R tyre change and talking to the shop owner at Lokmanya tyres, I decided to get the Yokohama Earth1 155/65 R13. I badly wanted to get the Michelin XM2's but then Dad reminded me that this car is going to have 80% city use and its work horse. There was a difference of about 2.3k in the final bill with the Michelin's so i went ahead with the Yoko's.

Our family workhorse: Pre-owned Maruti WagonR-unnamed-1.jpg

Our family workhorse: Pre-owned Maruti WagonR-unnamed-2.jpg

Our family workhorse: Pre-owned Maruti WagonR-unnamed-3.jpg

Our family workhorse: Pre-owned Maruti WagonR-unnamed-4.jpg

The total cost including wheel alignment went to 11.6k. The cost/tyre came to about 2.8k after deducting the cost for my older tyres.

Now following are the observations after the tyre change-

City- Frankly speaking i did not find much difference in the city as i don't exceed speeds of 50kmph. But while taking U-turns or some sharp turns uphill near my house i always found the older tyres loosing slight traction which doesn't seem to happen with the new Yoko's. The road noise has decreased upto a certain extent.

Highways-I have travelled less on the highway after getting the new tyres. But whenever i did it was pretty fast. Now it is easier for me to overtake trucks and buses on the large curves. The car tends to remain stable in case of panic braking. With older tyres they would just start screeching and stop. The road noise is good till 100kmph beyond which it increases real bad. Please help me regarding this? Is this normal with the Wagon-R. Vibrations increase beyond 100kmph, especially the steering wheel.

The car does loose out on some acceleration after getting the 155's but then again i wouldn't want performance at the cost of safety. Especially when i have my mom and brother in the car all the time with me.

2. Free Service LOL. The so called Free service was nothing. These people were literally passing time. I had to sit on their head and get things checked. I asked them to check the engine oil and top it up. Later i went to the showroom and complained about no one attending my car.(no job card was made even after nagging them for an hour). Finally one mechanic was appointed for my car. I asked him to clean the air filter. Check the coolant.etc. He did it taking his sweet time.

The week prior to the service i was returning from Ahmednagar at night. My brother was sleeping behind, making complete use of the 50:50 rear split seat arrangement. Me and mom were infront when i told her that the headlamp bulbs need a change as the light throw was bad. She observed it for a minute and told me to immediately get new bulbs. I consulted fellow bhpian skoda_rs who also had a same Wagon-R same as mine ( now exchanged for the Hot hatch- Polo GT TDi ). He had Philips Rally H4 bulbs on his car which i found good. I immediately visited Phadke car decor and got the pair of bulbs for Rs.500.

I asked the mechanic there to install the bulbs. He asked me to get some connectors. I frankly had no idea about all this. I called up a friend of mine who owns a garage and asked him regarding the connectors. He had a word with the SA and then explained what was to be done and why. Well it was simple and i let them get the new connectors. The servicing part was done in less than 2 hours. But the washing took another 2.5 hours as there was too much. Before the washing i found the left tail lamp bulb not working which was immediately changed.

Finally at 3.30 the car was ready. Then came the bill. I told the SA that they should only be charging me for the connectors. But the bill mentioned engine oil top up costs too. Well i never really expected it to be a "free service" as they say so i paid the 1.4k bill and left. Shall post pics of the bill once i am done with my exams.

Service experience rating-3/10

It was pathetic as i had to get behind the mechs for everything. The next service is at my friends garage for sure.

3. The accident

I was going to Bibwewadi with my mom to pick up my grand father. I was waiting at the signal to take right when a Wagon-R behind me suddenly decides to turn left. I knew something bad was coming my way as i was rear ended by a bike just 10 mins back. Though nothing happened. This time the other Wagonr's front bumpers screeched against my rear bumper. I immediately got down and stopped the driver. He was just trying to let go of it when i shouted at him and asked him to come to the police station. He was like lets go to the Maruti showroom and get the estimate. It was 8.30 pm no showroom would be open. His attitude was becoming more and more careless. The moment he started being rude my mom got pissed off and got out of the car to speak with this fellow. As my mom came into the scene he was insulted infront of the public and that made him pay. Initially he was just giving me 1k. When i again told him that i recently got it painted and the cost was close to 1.5k then did he give me 1.5k. After that the singal turned green and i left. Will get both the front and rear bumpers repainted during the next service. The front was scratched by some kids in my society.

Our family workhorse: Pre-owned Maruti WagonR-unnamed-5.jpg

In the last 1 month the car has been used extensively with the AC on most of the time. The car proved a great help when my granny was admitted in the Hospital. The practicality of the car makes me love it every time i drive it. The smile on my mom and brothers face when they are seated comfortably or be it the shifting our house wherein the Wagon-R was used to transport all the delicate materials and certain electronics which we couldn't let the packer and movers handle. The rear seat folded down and there was loads of space to stuff things inside the car. Yes it does disappoint the enthusiast in me but again the car is supposed to be a workhorse and for the price we got it, i couldn't ask for anything more.

Last edited by asit.kulkarni93 : 24th April 2014 at 21:01.
Old 24th April 2014, 21:15   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
1. Tyre change

Now following are the observations after the tyre change-

City- Frankly speaking i did not find much difference in the city as i don't exceed speeds of 50kmph. But while taking U-turns or some sharp turns uphill near my house i always found the older tyres loosing slight traction which doesn't seem to happen with the new Yoko's. The road noise has decreased upto a certain extent.

Highways-I have travelled less on the highway after getting the new tyres. But whenever i did it was pretty fast. Now it is easier for me to overtake trucks and buses on the large curves. The car tends to remain stable in case of panic braking. With older tyres they would just start screeching and stop. The road noise is good till 100kmph beyond which it increases real bad. Please help me regarding this? Is this normal with the Wagon-R. Vibrations increase beyond 100kmph, especially the steering wheel.
You bought the car with tyres which were 56k kms old. When you switch to brand new tyres you will obviously get a much better experience.

High speed vibrations at the steering wheel could be due to wheel balancing or alignment issues. Road noise beyond 100kmph should not be an issue.
Old 24th April 2014, 22:29   #18
BHPian

Hey asit, I too upgraded the tyres on my wagon R a couple of months ago and before I did that I too experienced the steering wheel vibrating above 100kmph and I really haven't got the chance to check it after the tyre upgrade as I seldom find the roads where I can cross the 100kmph mark so even I'm quite confused as to why the steering wheel vibrates at that speed. Wheel balancing and alignment was done post tyre upgrade so again I'm not sure if that's the cause of the vibration.
Old 25th April 2014, 13:31   #19
Senior - BHPian

Re: Our family workhorse: Pre-owned Maruti WagonR

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
You bought the car with tyres which were 56k kms old. When you switch to brand new tyres you will obviously get a much better experience.

High speed vibrations at the steering wheel could be due to wheel balancing or alignment issues. Road noise beyond 100kmph should not be an issue.
Hello,
The car had 3 goodyear tyres and 2 JK tyres(spare is a good year). I don't know what tyre khichdi did the previous owner make but i got rid of everything and finally the car feels stable. The wheel balancing was done immediately after the tyre change. I will be taking the car to mumbai soon shall check the difference on the highway and update. thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashkait Kapoor View Post
Hey asit, I too upgraded the tyres on my wagon R a couple of months ago and before I did that I too experienced the steering wheel vibrating above 100kmph and I really haven't got the chance to check it after the tyre upgrade as I seldom find the roads where I can cross the 100kmph mark so even I'm quite confused as to why the steering wheel vibrates at that speed. Wheel balancing and alignment was done post tyre upgrade so again I'm not sure if that's the cause of the vibration.
I am giving the car for a major service in a month shall get the steering assembly checked then. Wheel balancing isn't really a problem as far as i know. Anyway will let you know once i find a solution.
Old 25th April 2014, 14:45   #20
BANNED

Nice update the buddy for the WagonR. Why don't you add the wheel covers as the black wheels look a bit odd IMO. But the one generation wheel caps as it suits the car.

Quote:

The road noise is good till 100kmph beyond which it increases real bad. Please help me regarding this? Is this normal with the Wagon-R. Vibrations increase beyond 100kmph, especially the steering wheel.
Road noise is understandable as your getting it after 100 kmph and there is wind noise too so no worries. Regarding the vibrations in the steering is it shaking continuously?

Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 25th April 2014 at 14:53.
Old 25th April 2014, 17:17   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Nice update the buddy for the WagonR. Why don't you add the wheel covers as the black wheels look a bit odd IMO. But the one generation wheel caps as it suits the car.

Road noise is understandable as your getting it after 100 kmph and there is wind noise too so no worries. Regarding the vibrations in the steering is it shaking continuously?

Anurag.
Thanks anurag
I shall be getting either alloys soon or manage with wheel caps for the time being. The vibrations are there beyond 100kmph cant really say if it continuously shakes as i don't find driving the Wagon-R safe for a long time at 3-digit speeds. Anyway shall check this thing while i travel to Mumbai and update asap.
Old 1st March 2015, 21:48   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Here are the pics of the Autocop's Power windows which i got from the accessory shop of the dealership. They come with a 1 year warranty.
How much did the power windows cost? Do you have any idea how much will it cost for the front doors? Planning to install these in my alto if pocket permits.

Regards,
Swapnil
Old 2nd March 2015, 02:39   #23
BANNED

Hey Asit,

Been ages since you updated the thread. How's the car doing?

Waiting for your positives and negatives of the car. Thanks.
Old 2nd March 2015, 15:37   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swapnil_Alto View Post
How much did the power windows cost? Do you have any idea how much will it cost for the front doors? Planning to install these in my alto if pocket permits.
For just the front doors, the power windows will cost about 6-7K. You can get it installed on all 4 for about 10K. The main manufacturers to look for will be Autocop & RD. RD has been an OEM supplier for Maruti in past. You can also buy an upmodule with the power windows so that you can roll up the windows automatically when you lock your car by the remote.

Regards.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2015, 17:35   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
For just the front doors, the power windows will cost about 6-7K. You can get it installed on all 4 for about 10K.
Thank you Saket77 for the info. I'll have to wait for it then. Don't have enough 'moolas' at present, as Dad will not sponsor it.
Old 27th September 2015, 15:37   #26
Senior - BHPian

Update

The car was sold off 2 hours back. We had bought it in December 2013 at 53k kms, Sold it off in September 2015 at 75k kms. It had served us well and given a choice I would have had retained it for city use. But due to parking issues had to let go off it.

Looking for a replacement, mostly a used petrol sedan this time. Have a 15 days window because of Pitru Pakhsa. Had a wonderful journey with our tallboy.

Asit
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2015, 20:05   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Update

The car was sold off 2 hours back. We had bought it in December 2013 at 53k kms, Sold it off in September 2015 at 75k kms. It had served us well and given a choice I would have had retained it for city use. But due to parking issues had to let go off it.

Looking for a replacement, mostly a used petrol sedan this time. Have a 15 days window because of Pitru Pakhsa. Had a wonderful journey with our tallboy.

Asit
Hi Asit,

Can you advise me as to how the fog lamps were wired in you car. can you upload some pictures showing the foglight switch and the relay assembly, if you have them with you ?

thank you
Old 16th October 2015, 21:17   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manoj2268 View Post
Hi Asit,

Can you advise me as to how the fog lamps were wired in you car. can you upload some pictures showing the foglight switch and the relay assembly, if you have them with you ?

thank you
Sorry, Manoj no pics with me of the wiring. There was no separate switch for the fog lamps. They were connected to the parking lamps. So the parking lamps and fog lamps would go on together.

Thank you!
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed