Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2014, 07:32   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Beginning of a GTI era: My VW Golf GTI Mk4

Awesome dude. Glad you finally went with the car that I love.! Wonderful report detailing all necessary info. Am sure you will love the car. Enjoy your new ride and keep us updated on it. Not many Golf owners here on tbhp.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2014, 08:51   #17
BHPian

re: Beginning of a GTI era: My VW Golf GTI Mk4

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Awesome dude. Glad you finally went with the car that I love.! Wonderful report detailing all necessary info. Am sure you will love the car. Enjoy your new ride and keep us updated on it. Not many Golf owners here on tbhp.
Thanks Naveen for the kind words. Will surely keep you all updated on the car.

Cheers.
Old 6th March 2014, 01:28   #18
BHPian

Re: Beginning of a GTI era: My VW Golf GTI Mk4

UPDATE : GOLF's VISITING THE DOCTOR

I wish to share my experience of the service that I did at 137000 kms for my car. I understand a bit of technical details but not much. I will try and make up for it by narrating it. Any queries, suggestions or comments are welcome.

So it started when I was about to get my salary. I had not done the oil change, but according to my previous owner I still had 3000 kms to go. I am not waiting for 3000 kms to go, I am changing the oil.

The other problems were slight leak in the radiator (Initially I didn’t know from where), sound from the clutch while depressing (clutch cable gone bad), starter motor making a weird noise while starting the car(shaft hitting the sides I believe), sounds from the brakes after continuous usage, rattles from the body in bad roads(I could live with this one), bad wipers and wiper fluid spray not working, bonnet cover is hard to close, cleaning up the car.

There were two days to salary. I had a colleague who owned the exact same car as I own (even the color matches). I will try and post the pics of our car parked side by side. They look like evil twins.

He had a worn out clutch, I try and initiate the conversation to extract some info

Hey buddy, you gonna get your clutch changed or what?

Hmm. Actually I am.

So you are taking to the dealer I suppose and getting it changed.

You kidding me, I am buying the parts from VW and getting it done from a known garage outside

I just tell him about the faults in my car and then I say,

I guess I am taking it VW dealer, they can have a look at it and I will be having a better car after VW service.

He has his laugh, I look at him with my mouth wide open.

He says, ‘Do you actually believe that there are German Engineers sitting there waiting for you to take your car and they will just plug in the system to find the faults and rectify it?’

I really believed so

He adds, ‘I would never do that mistake. I know VW dealers and I know garages that do better job than them. On top of that VW dealers are gonna rip you apart for doing nothing.’

I am alerted. Plans to visit VW are dropped at that very moment.

I enquire further and I get to know about this garage where my company gets their cars done. They charge high compared to the normal garages but they have a good reputation. I plan to take there.

Again I ask him the next day, ‘How is White Planet (garage)?’

He had gone there for his AC repairs.

They are pretty good. But they charge you high. I won’t recommend you unless it’s a major work.

Hmm. So I am taking my car there. I wanted them to really look into the details of my car and find out if at all I have missed out something. All the motherly love and affection oozing out of me.

Now again I have to revert back by two-three day. It’s in the morning and I drive to work. I have couple of colleagues who car pool with me. I had noticed (but paid little attention) to the fact that there is a faint smell of fuel inside my car. The day before I was supposed to take my car, I start smelling fuel based on my inputs. The slower I go, less the smell and vice versa.

Usually at the signal, I push my car a bit so that the automatic cars behind don’t start honking. They seem to expect a race driver inside shifting gears in less than one tenth of a second. During this feat, I and the others strongly feel that car is going to blow up.

The other guys who were in the car were scared to death, thinking that this could almost be their last ride. I guess they watch movies a lot where the car blows up and rises 20 feet above.

Anyway, I keep the car less than 100. Drop them off and the next day morning, I am definitely taking the car to the garage.

No I am not scared, but I want to drive this car more. I am yet to have all the fun.
(To be contd.)
voyageur is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th March 2014, 07:48   #19
BHPian

Hey buddy, I guess this is the only bad part of European car ownership - expensive service.

But I know how much you are enjoying that monster, and the look on your passenger's faces must have been really funny!
Speed.Demon is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2014, 08:46   #20
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the Golf!

Great write-up! I loved reading it. Never knew even cars had engine in V5 configuration. Are there any vibrations at idle?

Also, please give it a thorough wash inside out. The Golf really needs it
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2014, 18:38   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Very neatly written ordeal of your defect investigation and rectification.
With the slight tinge of humour in narration, it kept my attention and interest.

Waiting for the rest of the story
dhanushmenon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2014, 22:16   #22
BHPian

Never is my car parked with it's evil twin. I guess its better for them to stay apart. (Pics are mostly taken in my mob except a few in proper cam).

Beginning of a GTI era: My VW Golf GTI Mk4-tn_img_20140306_144939.jpg

Beginning of a GTI era: My VW Golf GTI Mk4-tn_img_20140306_145019.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed.Demon View Post
Hey buddy, I guess this is the only bad part of European car ownership - expensive service.But I know how much you are enjoying that monster, and the look on your passenger's faces must have been really funny!
True Vineeth, it is the worst part. The parts are expensive and sometimes we might have to order it from EU countries (especially for car like mine) and wait for 15 days - 20 days.

Funny for me, but I think they were seriously scared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Congrats on the Golf! Great write-up! I loved reading it. Never knew even cars had engine in V5 configuration. Are there any vibrations at idle? Also, please give it a thorough wash inside out. The Golf really needs it
Thanks Deepak, I am glad you liked my write up. There are no vibrations from the engine. Engine is butter smooth and the exhaust note is all the more fantastic.

Either my car can be clean or I can have an excuse.

My excuse is that I park the car outside, and each slight passage of winds does its job of depositing desert sand on my poor little car. This is my observation and please note my car doesn't even complain to me on all these things. (just kidding mate)

So this is today's incident. Dedicated for you.

I took it for a wash nearby. I had my camera with me. I pull it out with the intention of clicking a couple of pics. The security comes and tells me,

You need permission to click here.

That's weird. I used to stay behind the service station 5-6 months back. I have gone into the wash bay. Clicked AMG's and M's in my mobile camera.

I go to counter and ask him,

Do you mind if I click a couple of pics of my car getting washed?
NO (The guy in a rude tone)
Why? That's my car being washed. Why can I not click pics?

I am not harsh, but a bit firm than my usual humble tone. He dials on his walkie talkie asks the Service Advisor to come in.

Again, Can I click a couple of pics of my car being washed?
Why do you want to click pics? Which pics of the wash do you want? he broadens his chest. Hey guy, you are not building a cruise missile. For gods sake, you are washing my car.

I again say firmly, It shouldn't bother you as long as I don't disturb your work.

Oh. I hurt his feelings. I am a bad man.

He says, If that is your answer, I prohibit you in the name of father, son and Holy spirits.

Ok. As you say. I am not going to fight for this. My car is with you.

I go near and watch them clean. Pretty good job. I can't complain about that. Also one of the guy who works there knows me from before, he also comes to the people washing my car to do it properly.

In the end, I am really satisfied with the job. Quality doesn't always come with modesty and I am not here to see how modest they are. So all squared up.

I take a couple of pics when they are done and I am attaching the same here. My car looks good, and I remember in one of the 1.6 VW Polo official reviews I had mentioned about my admiration to VW blue color.

Beginning of a GTI era: My VW Golf GTI Mk4-dsc_0006.jpg

Beginning of a GTI era: My VW Golf GTI Mk4-dsc_0007.jpg

Beginning of a GTI era: My VW Golf GTI Mk4-dsc_0008.jpg

Beginning of a GTI era: My VW Golf GTI Mk4-dsc_0009.jpg

Beginning of a GTI era: My VW Golf GTI Mk4-dsc_0010.jpg

Thus my car is clean for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon View Post
Very neatly written ordeal of your defect investigation and rectification.With the slight tinge of humour in narration, it kept my attention and interest.Waiting for the rest of the story
I am really glad that you liked it, Dhanush.

The rest follows
voyageur is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th March 2014, 22:34   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyageur View Post
Thus my car is clean for now.
Amazing! You just rolled back the years. Now, take a few more pics before the next passage of wind.

How is the fuel smell now? The perils of fossil fuel being cheap! Please do get it checked ASAP.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2014, 22:37   #24
BHPian

Ohh man. Just one proper wash has turned your car into a superstar. She looks FANTASTIC in that blue shade.

My only request to you will be to keep her shining like that.
BigBrad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2014, 23:14   #25
BHPian

The next day I take it to the service station, the same where my company vehicles are serviced. I meet the Service Advisor. He mistakes my car for it's evil twin.

I say, No No!!! This is my car. He takes the car out and we go out for a ride. I tell him the problems, then after the TD he takes his pad and writes down,

1. Radiator leak: I explain him that I have to top up water in every 4 days.

2. Starter motor sound: I show him how the KREEECCHHH sound irritates everyone.

3. Clutch cable sound: Sound of tight cable while depressing the clutch.

4. Oil, Oil filter and general service

5. Sound from the brakes

6. Wiper blades and the wiper fluid dispenser not working.

7. Smell of fuel inside the car. (I repent for saying this last and less seriousness)

While he TD's my car he says that he likes the golf v5 a lot. It's a great car to ride around. I halfheartedly leave my car there hoping that they don't rip my car off too much.

I leave it on Wednesday and I call them in the noon to know that they found out the leak, the thermostat assembly which connects the engine and radiator is leaking. They suggest me that they will look for a second hand part. I don't accept wholeheartedly. It pains me to know that my car gets a second hand stuff.

It's German. The chances of getting that part and the cost of the part concerns me. I stay quiet and they continue their search. They call me in the evening to tell me it's not available in the second hand market.

Glad and sad at the same time. I tell them to go ahead with buying an original.

It's not possible now because they must have shut down. Also we need to take the part and show them else they also end up giving the wrong part.

I convey that it's ok.

The next day, I call them up. The part is in their warehouse somewhere far. I sigh relief as it's available in UAE.

I tell them, get it done by the evening and I will come by then.

He says, I need to reassemble the whole engine and fix stuff back. No chance.

Ok then. Tomorrow.

I call him up in the evening.

Parts haven't reached the showroom and showroom has closed half day and the next day is holiday (weekend).

Oh I am already missing my car. So I will get it only 2 days from now.

Fast forwarding the day in between. I call him in on the next working day.

Got the part, done all the major works. Come over in the noon.

I go in the noon to find a shiny car. They have flashed water over it and cleaned the inside. Not very perfect though but better than before.

He says I fixed the major problems like radiator leak, clutch cable, starter motor sound, did the oil service etc etc.

The delayed part, looks really old. Glad I changed it

Beginning of a GTI era: My VW Golf GTI Mk4-img20140226wa0015.jpg

Beginning of a GTI era: My VW Golf GTI Mk4-img20140226wa0016.jpg

We go out on a TD. The car was as powerful as it was and it's really hard to distinguish. Even before taking it to the garage, it was a beast then as it is now.

I check the starter sound. That's fixed. Clutch sound is gone but he said he didn't replace the cable, just adjusted it (temporary fix), Wiper blades replaced, fluid is spraying.

Fine. I enquire about the brakes sound. Service Advisor replies he checked that and brake pads are new but duplicate. Hence the sound.

I ask him if this is a problem, he says not exactly. Let it wear out a bit and we can consider changing it to original.

The bonnet had a problem that it doesn't close easily but they fixed it then and there. I check again. It's fine. More over happy to have my car back.

I pay them the money completely forgetting about the fuel smell thingy. A grave thing to forget.

I ride back home with my golf.

(to be contd.)

PS: Apologizing for the clean pic of car above. I know they are not good. Even if I couldn't do better, my cam can do. I am letting my cam down. I promise you guys I will upload the clean pics of my car if it still remains clean tomorrow.

Last edited by voyageur : 6th March 2014 at 23:17. Reason: Adding pictures
voyageur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2014, 23:29   #26
BHPian

Oops, forgot to share the cost of the all the parts. I will convert it to equivalent rupees (not fair but still),

Water assembly and thermostat ~~- 11500 rs (approx)
Wiper blade ~~- 2400 rs (approx)
Radiator coolant ~~- 1000 rs (approx)
General service oil change, filter change ~~- 2400 rs (approx)
Labor charges ~~- 8000 rs (approx)

Approx = + or - 100 or 200.

Total approx amount by which I became poorer is ~~- 25000 rupees.

Last edited by voyageur : 6th March 2014 at 23:43.
voyageur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2014, 23:43   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Amazing! You just rolled back the years. Now, take a few more pics before the next passage of wind. How is the fuel smell now? The perils of fossil fuel being cheap! Please do get it checked ASAP.
The car looks good in blue. The photo's that I took are crap though.

For the fuel smell, you have to read through deepak. I know your eyes may be bleeding but the ball is still in my court. I have done something about the fuel smell. Will share it asap.

Cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrad View Post
Ohh man. Just one proper wash has turned your car into a superstar. She looks FANTASTIC in that blue shade.My only request to you will be to keep her shining like that.
Thanks Romy, Glad you liked my car. You can always have a drive in my car if you come here. I am sure you will like it more.

The blue shade is the best for golf. I won't agree with anyone who says otherwise. It's subjective though but most of you would agree if you see a proper detailed blue VW Golf in real.

Again thanks for the kind words mate.

Cheers.
voyageur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2014, 23:48   #28
BHPian

Wow, a superb ownership report and now an even better service report. The beast is looking good. Glad you're getting all issues rectified. Looks absolutely menacing in your pics. I guess you can really start enjoying your beast now. Regarding your parking woes, why don't u think about a car cover? Wont it help? Just a thought. And is the engine oil fully synthetic ? .

Drive safe,
Cheers!!
aswin ajith is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2014, 20:30   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswin ajith View Post
Wow, a superb ownership report and now an even better service report. The beast is looking good. Glad you're getting all issues rectified. Looks absolutely menacing in your pics. I guess you can really start enjoying your beast now. Regarding your parking woes, why don't u think about a car cover? Wont it help? Just a thought. And is the engine oil fully synthetic ? .Drive safe,Cheers!!
Hey Aswin,

I am happy to know you liked the report.

I guess car cover should help. It should help to keep dust away. Thank you for the suggestion. I am thinking of buying a car cover.

The Engine oil is semi synthetic afaik. They used ELF for my car and I also didn't recommend any brand in particular.

Thanks again for your kind words.

Cheers.
Old 7th March 2014, 21:29   #30
BHPian

Regarding the fuel smell,

The day I took back my car, I couldn't identify anything.

Next day I am going to work. Morning time and after travelling around 15-20 kms the fuel odour began to spring up and in another couple of kms it began to become stronger. I reached office and by the noon I told a known mechanic to have a look at the car.

I and he removed the back seat and found the plug were a bit old. He said it can be the plug.

In the evening I take it to the same garage. They remove the seat to find that petrol is just half tank. The SA advised me to top up petrol till the brim.

I go and do as he said. Once the fuel is topped up, the odour is really strong. I open the windows. As I reach the back, the mechanics check the fuel tank and fuel pump connection. Petrol is all around near the tank and pump area.

Beginning of a GTI era: My VW Golf GTI Mk4-tn_img_20140303_185329.jpg

The mechanics dry the petrol using a cloth and air hose to slightly push the petrol away. Yes, they see the leak near the sealant. They drain the petrol to a small storage tank and then start removing the petrol.

They remove the sealant to find the ring under the sealant displaced from its position. They fix it back tight and then re-assemble the whole thing.

Pour in petrol and then open the fuel cap and pump some air in. I can see the tank expanding due to the compressed air yet no leak. They say problem solved and then I fix back the seat.

Beginning of a GTI era: My VW Golf GTI Mk4-tn_img_20140303_191354.jpg

I pay them some labor charges and I leave. For couple of days the petrol smell was strong inside. Yesterday I took it for a service (water service) and today again I drove around 400 kms. I could not smell any odour inside.

When I opened the windows I could feel some faint odour of petrol very rarely.

I still can't figure out if it's due to extensive running or it's just me. I will wait till I figure out.

Some more pics of my clean GOLF

(slight color adjustments in some pics)

Beginning of a GTI era: My VW Golf GTI Mk4-dsc_0011.jpg

Beginning of a GTI era: My VW Golf GTI Mk4-dsc_0012.jpg

Beginning of a GTI era: My VW Golf GTI Mk4-dsc_0014.jpg

Beginning of a GTI era: My VW Golf GTI Mk4-dsc_0015.jpg

Beginning of a GTI era: My VW Golf GTI Mk4-dsc_0016.jpg

Beginning of a GTI era: My VW Golf GTI Mk4-dsc_0017.jpg

Beginning of a GTI era: My VW Golf GTI Mk4-dsc_0020.jpg

Beginning of a GTI era: My VW Golf GTI Mk4-dsc_0023.jpg

Beginning of a GTI era: My VW Golf GTI Mk4-dsc_0026.jpg

Beginning of a GTI era: My VW Golf GTI Mk4-dsc_0028.jpg