Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2014, 10:48   #16
BHPian

re: 2014 Honda City | My Diesel Rockstar Arrives | EDIT: 10 years completed and running strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
Thank You!

Thanks - this seems like a necessity. The Magnum Honda site quotes this at 10,500!! Will wait for aftermarket 3rd Party fittings to become available...
I believe you brought your car from Dakshin right? Why don't you go there itself. The accessory list I have from Dakshin, I see foll. quotes (I believe these are scuff plates only) :
- Side Step Cover: INR 2400 (probably the non illuminated onces)
- Side Step Illuminated: INR 5500
Old 20th February 2014, 11:44   #17
Senior - BHPian

LED scuff plates are for around 5k in Honda accessories.
However I will be getting it online when available as it won't be more than 1500 considering Amaze ones costs 1k.
Old 21st February 2014, 12:33   #18

re: 2014 Honda City | My Diesel Rockstar Arrives | EDIT: 10 years completed and running strong

Congratulations on the purchase of Honda City drive safe and enjoy your drive . So far I have spotted just one Honda City 2014, a black one.

Did changing the tyres affect the warranty? I too intend to change the tyres once my City arrives but is a apprehensive as it might affect warranty.
Old 21st February 2014, 13:37   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anand89 View Post
Congratulations on the purchase of Honda City drive safe and enjoy your drive . So far I have spotted just one Honda City 2014, a black one.

Did changing the tyres affect the warranty? I too intend to change the tyres once my City arrives but is a apprehensive as it might affect warranty.
Thanks. I don't know - there have been mixed responses on the warranty - I will know when I go for 1st Service But I stopped worrying about it and enjoying the drive with better tyres and especially the superior ground clearance. I possibly would have used the stock tyres for 25-30K if they had given me Michelins at least but I got MRF ZVTV...so it was a no brainer for me...
Old 24th February 2014, 21:10   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Introduction: Initial Ownership Report of 2014 Honda City i-DTEC / V Variant

My 2014 Honda City arrived home on 03-Feb-2014

And the Nominations are…
1. Hyundai Verna Fluidic CRDi
2. Honda Amaze i-DTEC
3. Hyundai Grand i10 CRDi
Pros:

• Space on Rear Seats
Firstly a very heartfelt congratulations on your new purchase and being one of the first guys to take a new model from a showroom (that is a special feeling).

Is there any reason why you never ventured beyond these 3 cars which you considered and why no Fiat Linea (new model) which is also just released ? The reason for this question is, I am looking for replacing my current drive and I never considered a Honda for the lack of a diesel engine and now that is definitely in the nomination list.

When you say "space on rear seats" as a +ve for this car, how is the comfort on back seat like under thigh support?

Your input on these points will help me to be more judicious on my purchase.
Jakku is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2014, 18:59   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakku View Post
Firstly a very heartfelt congratulations on your new purchase and being one of the first guys to take a new model from a showroom (that is a special feeling).
Thank You!

Quote:
Is there any reason why you never ventured beyond these 3 cars which you considered and why no Fiat Linea (new model) which is also just released ? The reason for this question is, I am looking for replacing my current drive and I never considered a Honda for the lack of a diesel engine and now that is definitely in the nomination list.
The Fiat Linea - new one was unveiled in the AutoExpo on 4th Feb and I took delivery of my City on 3rd Feb. So, this never made it to my comparison list due to the timing. To my knowledge the negatives would be re-sale value in comparison with a Honda and the Servicing is a question mark.

Quote:
When you say "space on rear seats" as a +ve for this car, how is the comfort on back seat like under thigh support? Your input on these points will help me to be more judicious on my purchase.
I would say the under thigh support is decent. Some of the other sedans in this segment have a large hump in the center - this is not much in the City. When I say space, I meant in terms of the legroom available - Honda has equaled the wheelbase of the Sunny and hence there is plenty of room available at the back. Your signature shows Accent, and I moved from an existing Accent as well and if you compare with an Accent or other Hyundai cars the under-thigh support is way better.
vsrivatsa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2014, 15:39   #22
Senior - BHPian

Update: First Service and More Highway Driving

Gave my car for First Service. Based on recommendations from T-BHP I submitted the car for first service in the middle of the week. Chose Magnum Honda, Bangalore as it is closer to home.

Car completed about 1100 km at the time of first service. Spoke to Magnum and they said I should get the car before 1200km since they cant allow too much variation on the kms completed for First Service.
2014 Honda City | My Diesel Rockstar Arrives | EDIT: 10 years completed and running strong-02.jpg

Reached Magnum Honda around 8-30 AM and was met the SA who took notes and said the first service would take only a couple of hours and I could expect the vehicle delivery by afternoon. I had no specific complaints except that I was facing an issue with Cruise Control. The Magnum Honda Service Engineer said I should try in Top Gear but he said they would anyway check it during the first Service.

Some shots of the Service Center:

2014 Honda City | My Diesel Rockstar Arrives | EDIT: 10 years completed and running strong-03.jpg
View of the Service Center from the Customer Lounge

2014 Honda City | My Diesel Rockstar Arrives | EDIT: 10 years completed and running strong-04.jpg
Customer Lounge

2014 Honda City | My Diesel Rockstar Arrives | EDIT: 10 years completed and running strong-05.jpg
Customer Lounge

Overall seemed like a neat place where I could trust leaving my car for a service.

The SA also advised me to go for underbody coating which I refused and said I will re-consider during the next service. The charges quoted was Rs.5,100 with 5 years warranty and they also said they will top up the coating in case it wears out during the warranty period. Below is the details of the coating that was recommended:

2014 Honda City | My Diesel Rockstar Arrives | EDIT: 10 years completed and running strong-06.jpg
Under Body Coating Recommended by the SA for the Car

I need to still research if the recommended coating is useful/worth the price being quoted. I promptly received a call from Magnum Honda at around 12-30 PM stating that the car is ready for delivery post service. He also said they have validated and found Cruise Control to be working correctly. There was no charge for the first service. I did not go for change of Engine Oil. Below is the Invoice just for reference:

2014 Honda City | My Diesel Rockstar Arrives | EDIT: 10 years completed and running strong-07.jpg
First Service Invoice

I am must say I am quite happy with the experience I had with Magnum Honda - everything went smooth and fine and the people I met were professional. With First Service Complete, I was ready now for more highway driving and of course some high speed driving as well

Started on a drive from Bangalore to Hassan on Bangalore-Mangalore Highway via Tumkur Road. I used the SpeedTracker tool that I saw mentioned on another post in TeamBHP.

Found driving on this road much better than the SH17 (Mysore Road). Initially was very cautious and did not cross 120 kmph. I had to get used to the height of this vehicle given that my earlier car was a slow slung Accent. Once I got used to the behavior of the vehicle, I managed to push the engine harder. Was able to reach speeds upto 152 kmph as per the speedo (although the SpeedTracker only seems to show 148.5).

Name:  09.png
Views: 12243
Size:  91.8 KB
SpeedTracker App with Today's Statistics

I also experimented with Cruise Control. As recommended by the SA the Cruise Control got set when I was driving in the top gear. I managed to drive quite a few stretches with Cruise Control. The Resume button is also very handy, which allows you to resume Cruise Control after braking etc. After consistent drives at 110-120kmph during the 200 km run today, the average fuel indicator still showed a whopping 21 kmpl. This diesel is definitely made for fuel efficiency.

2014 Honda City | My Diesel Rockstar Arrives | EDIT: 10 years completed and running strong-08.jpg
View of the Car from a restaurant window where I stopped

All in all, extremely happy with the ability of the car on highways and high speeds. Overall impressions post first service is a big thumbs up to Honda for the Superb Car

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 1st March 2014 at 16:07.
vsrivatsa is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st March 2014, 17:45   #23
Senior - BHPian

Did you feel any loss of power near 150 kmph or it can be pushed further?
Could you give more details about the speed tracker tool as it looks interesting?

As for cruise control the SA told me it can't be activated below the speed of 60. Kindly check this out next time you do a highway run.
Old 1st March 2014, 19:34   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Did you feel any loss of power near 150 kmph or it can be pushed further?
I think the engine has enough meat to hit 160 kmph atleast. The road situation (in terms of other vehicles) did not allow me to speed up beyond that and it had nothing to do with the engine capability - and I did not have to floor the pedal to reach 150+. And I must add that the FE is very good even at 110-120kmph range of driving. Till now, I had never experienced any mid size sedan really getting close to the ARAI numbers but this one seems to be very realistic...

Quote:
Could you give more details about the speed tracker tool as it looks interesting?
Speed Tracker is a Mobile App that is available for both Android Devices and the iPhone. I am using the free version available on my Galaxy S2.
Speed Tracker URL
The free version does not let you save the trips...but I just took a screenshot

Quote:
As for cruise control the SA told me it can't be activated below the speed of 60. Kindly check this out next time you do a highway run.
I will surely check it on my way back to Bangalore tomorrow when I hit the highway again
But all said and done, the manual does not specify any of this and it says Cruise Control can work from 40kmph. The SA said I have to be on the top gear as well which is also something I don't think is true...

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 1st March 2014 at 19:36.
Old 15th March 2014, 19:10   #25
Senior - BHPian

Time for some

Highlights from the Car Interiors

Steering
2014 Honda City | My Diesel Rockstar Arrives | EDIT: 10 years completed and running strong-02.jpg

2014 Honda City | My Diesel Rockstar Arrives | EDIT: 10 years completed and running strong-05.jpg

Steering Wheel has a good upmarket feel but the reach to the horn is not very convenient. The steering can be adjusted for height but not for reach. Overall the steering response has been good. Easy to use in city driving conditions and reasonable on the highway sprints.

Driver's Console - The Floating CockPit

2014 Honda City | My Diesel Rockstar Arrives | EDIT: 10 years completed and running strong-06.jpg

2014 Honda City | My Diesel Rockstar Arrives | EDIT: 10 years completed and running strong-09.jpg

2014 Honda City | My Diesel Rockstar Arrives | EDIT: 10 years completed and running strong-18.jpg

This what Honda has rightly named as the "Floating Cockpit" with the all functionality inclined slightly towards the driver. the Black finish of the Interiors look extremely good and the Piano Black console adds additional glitter to an already exciting cockpit.

The Gear Lever
2014 Honda City | My Diesel Rockstar Arrives | EDIT: 10 years completed and running strong-17.jpg
Although the City derives the same engine from the Amaze, this car has an additional 6th Gear. Shifting gears are smooth enough and Honda has included circuitry to prevent the car from getting into the Reverse Gear from the 6th Gear as a safety measure

Additional Views of the Cockpit

2014 Honda City | My Diesel Rockstar Arrives | EDIT: 10 years completed and running strong-14.jpg

2014 Honda City | My Diesel Rockstar Arrives | EDIT: 10 years completed and running strong-19.jpg
The overall experience for the driver is pleasant inside. The car feels extremely premium and the color match and the two tone interiors of black with beige is something I admire every time I get into the car. For someone my height at 5ft 8in I find the placement of seat comfortable.

I had to do some height adjustment on both the steering and the seat and easily managed to find a position that is to my comfort. The seats are comfortable and offer decent support. Under thigh support could have been better but this is much better than my earlier car anyways and so I did not find it to be of much concern while driving.

ICE

2014 Honda City | My Diesel Rockstar Arrives | EDIT: 10 years completed and running strong-col01.jpg
View of the In Car Entertainment System and the TouchPanel AC.

The Pedals

2014 Honda City | My Diesel Rockstar Arrives | EDIT: 10 years completed and running strong-21.jpg
The positioning of the pedal is convenient and Honda has included the fuel lid opener and the engine bonnet opener knobs both in this are as can be seen in the picture. A dead pedal is also included. Now lets get to the rear of the car a little.

Rear Doors

2014 Honda City | My Diesel Rockstar Arrives | EDIT: 10 years completed and running strong-11.jpg

2014 Honda City | My Diesel Rockstar Arrives | EDIT: 10 years completed and running strong-13.jpg

2014 Honda City | My Diesel Rockstar Arrives | EDIT: 10 years completed and running strong-12.jpg

Coming to the rear part of the car. The rear door also has a speaker and a tweeter. Positioning of the window glass is good and provides a good view. Also seen are the rear AC Vents.

Thanks for taking time to read my thread - More coming soon.

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 15th March 2014 at 19:15.
vsrivatsa is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th March 2014, 19:17   #26
Senior - BHPian

Nice.
Personally I didn't liked this floating cockpit concept. But, it might grow on me.

How hard it is to maintain piano black as I recall from official review it was mentioned it is scratch prone?

How useful is dead pedal?

Do mention what all accessories u have got till now and any planned in future.

Last edited by harry10 : 15th March 2014 at 19:20.
Old 15th March 2014, 20:04   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Time for some

Highlights from the Car Interiors

Thanks for taking time to read my thread - More coming soon.
Thanks for sharing all the pictures. The car does give upmarket feel. The 5" screen is tempting and something I'm going to miss on my SV CVT.

How did you find the sound system? The SV does not come with twitters so need to check on sound quality once I receive my car

Few things:
- See if you want to get leather wrap for steering wheel. It gives a good grip when driving

- Overtime, you may want to get 3D mats. You can see that dirt from shoes/other stuff getting towards end of floor mat and onto carpet in some of your pictures.

- One thing that I noticed recently only is that the V and VX has Silver color panel for window switches while SV (and maybe lower as well) has black matte finish for the window switch panel. I found that the black gels well with the other black portions of door

Quote:
Nice.
Personally I didn't liked this floating cockpit concept. But, it might grow on me.

How hard it is to maintain piano black as I recall from official review it was mentioned it is scratch prone?

It feels as if its scratch prone, but I think the quality is really good. This is something //M mentioned in his ownership thread as well for his Black Honda City. I've bought a Jopasu mini duster to keep it clean.

As per the reviews, the deal pedal could have been made more useful. The CVT owners might find it fine.

Last edited by neel911 : 15th March 2014 at 20:07.
Old 17th March 2014, 13:29   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have not added much so far, only bought the Jopasu Magic Wipes, Duster & mini Duster. Bought a USB Car Charger for the Rear Charge point.

The following are the possible add-ons planned:
1. Stay Kool micro-coating (Sun Control) : URL
2. Leather Wrap for Steering Wheel
3. Rubber Mat for Boot (not sure if we get one specific to City)
4. Scuff Plates (when it becomes available outside)
5. Underbody coating from 3M (it is still summer - so can wait )
6. Team-BHP Key-Chain (not in stock currently)
7. Tyre LED Motion Sensor: URL - Has anyone tried these?
8. Sound Activated Stickers: URL ( I guess my wife will not allow me to add these. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel911 View Post
How did you find the sound system? The SV does not come with twitters so need to check on sound quality once I receive my car
Its fine (quality) for the OEM types. I regularly use the Bluetooth for phone conversations and I have added a 64GB Flash drive to the USB Port which takes care of all my music needs. But I guess the market is flooded with touch screen ones. I don't plan any upgrade on the Sound System for now.

Quote:
Few things:
- See if you want to get leather wrap for steering wheel. It gives a good grip when driving

- Overtime, you may want to get 3D mats. You can see that dirt from shoes/other stuff getting towards end of floor mat and onto carpet in some of your pictures.

- One thing that I noticed recently only is that the V and VX has Silver color panel for window switches while SV (and maybe lower as well) has black matte finish for the window switch panel. I found that the black gels well with the other black portions of door
First one I am considering. Second one - will check when things are available in the market. Need to check on the color of the panel.

Quote:
Nice.
Quote:
It feels as if its scratch prone, but I think the quality is really good. This is something //M mentioned in his ownership thread as well for his Black Honda City. I've bought a Jopasu mini duster to keep it clean.
As per the reviews, the deal pedal could have been made more useful. The CVT owners might find it fine.
I haven't faced any issues with the panel and yes, I got the Jopasu mini duster for the same purpose. neel911 is correct - dead pedal is possibly useful only when on Cruise Control for the Manual Models.

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 17th March 2014 at 13:35.
Old 17th March 2014, 18:40   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

2. Leather Wrap for Steering Wheel
3. Rubber Mat for Boot (not sure if we get one specific to City)
4. Scuff Plates (when it becomes available outside)
5. Underbody coating from 3M (it is still summer - so can wait )
6. Team-BHP Key-Chain (not in stock currently)
8. Sound Activated Stickers: URL ( I guess my wife will not allow me to add these. )

I haven't faced any issues with the panel and yes, I got the Jopasu mini duster for the same purpose. neel911 is correct - dead pedal is possibly useful only when on Cruise Control for the Manual Models.
Good to know. Have bought jopasu for the same purpose.

As for accessories-
1-Looks good. let us know when you install it and how much effective it is.
2-Good idea.
3-Not sure but will be useful if available.
4-I was thinking if LED scuff plates which are installed in 3rd generation city can also be done in New city. The area should be same so shouldn't be a problem there. Need to confirm this.
5-I understand this is only needed if you live near coastal area.
6-I have already ordered for a Honda keychain and will get a tbhp one as well when available.
7th and 8th- Looks interesting but might be cheesy. Haven't seen on anyone's car yet.

Aren't you getting the spoiler which i feel adds a sporty look to the car?
Old 17th March 2014, 21:07   #30
BHPian

Quote:

8. Sound Activated Stickers:
URL ( I guess my wife will not allow me to add these. )

The first one looks super cool. I have seen the solar glasses on Hyundai neo fluidic Elantra, new Sonata and the latest Santa Fe,which blocks most of the heat radiations and keeps things cool inside. but they are expensive.
This one looks like an excellent alternative

The Tyre LED Motion Sensor and Sound Activated Stickers looks too flashy and draws unwanted attention.Anyway, Your car will be a true rock-star on the road ( Michael Jackon ) with lights flashing all over the body.
Amyth Prabhakar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed