Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2014, 19:16   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

re: "Empress" - 2014 Honda City i-DTEC - Golden Brown - Royalty on Wheels!

Empress has crossed the 1,000-km mark.

It's been 2 weeks since she entered our life and now she's ruling it. My little Princess cannot have enough of her and insists to stay inside the car whenever we return from our trips. On the roads, she's a real head-turner. People check the Golden Brown shade from close quarters, remarking how magnificent she looks in that color.

I have to admit that the 2014 City looks more premium than the price it commands - one of the major reasons why a status-loving middle-class man would like to own one. Sophistication, luxury and premiumness all rolled into one.

A real note of importance to all my fellow i-DTEC owners - remember that the 1.5 L diesel is a turbocharged unit, and it's imperative that you follow the 30-second idling rule everytime you start/stop your car. I follow it religiously every day, and my idling time is 60 seconds (until the RPM needle settles itself at 800-ish), and even after that, drive your car without throttle input until it reaches the optimum engine temperature - easing out of the garage, moving forward in 1st/2nd gears for the first 400-500 meters, etc. Same goes for when you are reaching a destination - slow down into the lower gears and cruise at a relaxed low speed when you are about half a kilometer from your destination. This will ensure a longer life for your turbocharged powertrain. A fantastic thread by GTO detailing this can be found here - LINK.

Some more observations:

- The sound system is definitely front-heavy, which means the front two speakers + two tweeters perform better and louder than the ones in the rear doors. Highs and mids are comparatively muted in the rear. This might not affect the single driver but when the car is loaded, the rear passengers might complain about this. Tweak the Fader settings accordingly to find the optimum sound.

- For those who are still fumbling in the dark to change the reverse camera view (wide, normal, top/down): engage the reverse gear, watch the view in the HU, the click on the "List/Push/Select" button inside the knob on the left side of the HU. You can toggle between all 3 views in this way. Also, it's advisable to stop your car at the second last line in your reverse camera view (the one just before the broken, dotted line), which will ensure sufficient space between your car and the object behind you.

- Remember that it's a diesel and summer is here - your car will get very hot and thirsty. Whenever you reach back home, let the car cool down for at least 15-20 minutes before putting the cover on. Also, before driving out in the morning, check the water levels. You will be surprised at the amount of water your oil burner guzzles regularly in the hot days.

And now for a pictorial walkthrough of the OEM HU. It is NOT a touchscreen Head Unit but it's very functional, supporting Bluetooth, USB, Aux-In, CD, AM/FM radio, and Reverse Camera integration.

(Please disregard the accumulated dust particles in the following pics)

The Honda City Head Unit on the central console.

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140402_153808.jpg

The first thing you see when you turn it on - a shining "H" badge.

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140406_093340.jpg

Press the "Menu/Clock" button.

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140406_093424.jpg

Click on "Adjust Clock". Adjust the time accordingly, then click "Set".

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140406_093436.jpg

Go back once, and click on "Settings".
Here, you can access 1) Bluetooth, 2) Display Adjustment, 3) Rear Camera...

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140406_093507.jpg

4) Display Change, 5) Wallpaper, 6) Colour Theme...

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140406_093520.jpg

7) Language, and 8) Clock Format.

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140406_093528.jpg

1) Click on "Bluetooth" to access this menu. Select either of the two, and turn on the Bluetooth in your mobile device.

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140406_093539.jpg

The HU will search for BT devices, and then send a pairing password to your BT device.

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140406_093551.jpg

Confirm it on your device, and this will be shown.

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140406_093944.jpg

Turn off Bluetooth in your device, and...

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140406_094037.jpg

2) "Settings" --> "Display adjustment."
Here you can adjust the Brightness, Contrast and Black Levels of your HU's display.

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140406_094103.jpg

3) "Settings" --> "Rear camera."
Here, you can choose if you want to see the reverse camera guide lines or not (by checking/unchecking on the box), and adjust the Brightness, Contrast...

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140406_094130.jpg

Black Level, Colour and Tint levels.

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140406_094140.jpg

4) "Settings" --> "Display Change."
You can now choose the default view for your HU's standby screen, either Audio (info about the audio track currently playing) or Wallpaper (either the HU's clock, or upto 3 imported customised wallpapers via USB)

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140406_094323.jpg

5) "Settings" --> "Wallpaper".
Here you can either select a particular wallpaper, import wallpapers from your USB drive, or delete wallpapers.

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140406_094337.jpg

6) "Settings" --> "Colour Theme".
You can now change the Colour Theme of your HU from the default Blue to Red,

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140406_094359.jpg

Amber,

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140406_094406.jpg

or Grey. My preference = Blue. (as I am sure many others will, too)

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140406_094412.jpg

7) "Settings" --> "Language".
Choose between English, French and Spanish.

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140406_094429.jpg

8) "Settings" --> "Clock Format".
Switch between 12-hour or 24-hour clock for your display screen.

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140406_094443.jpg

When you click on the Phone button on the top left (with a phone icon), with a mobile device connected via BT, you can access the phone menus - 1) Speed Dial, 2) Call History, 3) Phonebook...

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140406_094849.jpg

4) Dial, 5) Redial, and 6) Phone Setup.

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140406_094857.jpg

1) Speed Dial = You can store upto 20 pre-chosen numbers/contacts for your speed dial list.

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140406_094916.jpg

2) Call History = It accesses the dialed calls, received calls and missed calls from your mobile device.

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140406_094930.jpg

3) Phonebook = It accesses and shows the contacts stored in your mobile device. All through contacts under "A" to...

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140406_094942.jpg

"Y"! Don't be alarmed, there's an "Others" section for the "Z"s and the numericals.

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140406_094952.jpg

4) The "Dial" menu. Takes some time to dial a number from here.

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140406_095016.jpg

5) "Redial" simply redials the last number you called from your mobile device.

6) "Phone Setup" menu takes you to A) Bluetooth Setup, B) Speed Dial C) Ringtone ("Inband")...

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140406_095059.jpg

D) Caller ID info (select between "Name" or "Number"), and E) System Clear (memory erased)

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140406_095108.jpg

(Continued...)
RavenAvi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th April 2014, 19:45   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

A) The "Bluetooth Setup" will take you back to the Bluetooth menu, where you can 1) Add a new device, 2) Connect a phone, 3) Connect an audio device...

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140406_095137.jpg

4) Disconnect all devices, 5) Delete device, and 6) Pass-key (haven't figured this yet)

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140406_095144.jpg

Clicking on the button on the top left containing the music bar/speaker icon will bring this up, where you can adjust 1) Bass, 2) Treble, 3) Fader...

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140406_095211.jpg

4) Balance, and 5) Speed-Volume Compensation levels/sensitivity (High = most sensitive).

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140406_095223.jpg

Access "Play Mode" in the song currently playing to access 1) Normal play, 2) Scan tracks, 3) Scan Folders...

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140406_103126.jpg

4) Repeat One Track, 5) Repeat One Folder, 6) Random All...

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140406_103138.jpg

and 7) Random in folder.

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140406_103147.jpg

Click on Folder List to access all folders in your audio device (BT phone/USB).

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140406_103852.jpg

Pop in a music CD and you can see the tracks listed on the HU PLUS a small, green bar shining on the top (at the leftmost side of the entrance of the CD section).

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140409_141955.jpg

Similarly, click on the "Radio" button on the right to access the FM (1/2/3) and the AM Radio bands.
The CD/Aux button is for choosing a source between CD, Aux-In, USB and BT Audio.

A special button with the sun/crescent moon icon on the top right is given to access the Day/Night Brightness levels of your Head Unit. You can adjust them according to your choices.

Rummaging inside the Earth Dreams i-DTEC.

A second fuse box provided just above the battery section.

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140409_153949.jpg

Never thought you would find a Hitachi part powering your Honda, did you?

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140409_154125.jpg

The high beam bulb is powered by Philips, while...

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140409_154501.jpg

The low beam bulb is by Osram.

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140409_154833.jpg

Twin fans (placed at different levels) cooling the huge radiator.

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140409_154623.jpg

And finally, the parking bulb placement - right above the high beam bulb.
From the side:

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140409_155056.jpg

From the front:

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140409_155106.jpg

Last edited by RavenAvi : 9th April 2014 at 19:50.
RavenAvi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th April 2014, 15:44   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

First Sign Of Trouble?

I was returning home from office about a couple hours back, and near the gate to my colony the "malfunction indicator lamp" (the one with the engine icon in bright orange, on the top left inside of the speedo) started glowing suddenly.

Thinking that the engine might have overheated or something similar, I stopped by the side, opened the bonnet and stayed like that for about 10 minutes. Casual inspection of the engine bay and the underside showed nothing. There was no smoke, no fumes, nothing.

Started up again and the indicator stayed on, and I carefully slotted in the first three gears and crawled all the way home into my garage. First thing I did was check the manual, and it said that for diesel models, the malfunction indicator came on when air entered the fuel system, and priming the fuel supply would make it go off.

Called up the Service Supervisor at the dealership A.S.S., and he said that there could be various other reasons as well, and he would be sending a techie with the systems-check laptop first thing tomorrow morning. Only after a full systems check can the problem be identified and (subsequently) rectified.

ODO reads 1015 kms right now. The tank shows half-tankful of diesel. Everything is working fine, Empress is coming alive everytime I crank her up in my garage, no other indicators are glowing in the speedo, except that one particular orange glow bug.

I am worried. Such a problem in a 2-week-old car was not expected. I hope it doesn't turn out to be anything serious and gets resolved tomorrow itself.
Old 11th April 2014, 15:51   #64
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post

I was returning home from office about a couple hours back, and near the gate to my colony the "malfunction indicator lamp" (the one with the engine icon in bright orange, on the top left inside of the speedo) started glowing suddenly.

Started up again and the indicator stayed on, and I carefully slotted in the first three gears and crawled all the way home into my garage. First thing I did was check the manual, and it said that for diesel models, the malfunction indicator came on when air entered the fuel system, and priming the fuel supply would make it go off.

Relax Avi, Honda should take of care it soon.

And a sincere advice, Please DO NOT drive the car with that lamp ON. You don't know what damage is happening inside. The light glowing up could be an error by a sensor or some kind of loose contact. Did you try resetting the system by disconnecting the battery for 15-20 seconds?

If air enters the fuelling system won't it cause an air lock? I don't think this is true.

The Hitachi part that is seen in the pictures above posted by you, is it the MAF?

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2014, 16:09   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Relax Avi, Honda should take of care it soon.

And a sincere advice, Please DO NOT drive the car with that lamp ON. You don't know what damage is happening inside. The light glowing up could be an error by a sensor or some kind of loose contact. Did you try resetting the system by disconnecting the battery for 15-20 seconds?

If air enters the fuelling system won't it cause an air lock? I don't think this is true.

The Hitachi part that is seen in the pictures above posted by you, is it the MAF?
Not touching her till the problem is resolved, Anurag.

It could be something minor, but then it could be something major as well, such as the catalytic convertor going kaput. The glow is steady, which means it could be any number of specified things, and only the OBD scanner will be able to pinpoint the exact source of the problem. The fuel cap is screwed tight, the spark plugs look okay, the fuse wires are all good. I guess only the techie will be able to find out. Not doing anything to Empress till he arrives.

I think it is, since it's connected to the air flow intake. The manual doesn't specify this.
Old 11th April 2014, 16:17   #66
BANNED

Quote:
The fuel cap is screwed tight, the spark plugs look okay, the fuse wires are all good.
You drive a diesel car saar and diesel engines don't have spark plugs! They have glow plugs!

Quote:
Not doing anything to Empress till he arrives.
All the best and I am hooked onto to the thread for an update. All will be well!

Anurag.
Old 11th April 2014, 18:24   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
You drive a diesel car saar and diesel engines don't have spark plugs! They have glow plugs!
Oh yes my mistake!

Quote:
All the best and I am hooked onto to the thread for an update. All will be well!
The Service Supervisor called back about an hour back and suggested the battery disconnecting/resetting system method also, and to see if the malfunction glow disappeared. I did so and the computers resetted themselves, but the malfunction glow remained.

Called him back and reported this, and he asked if the rear part of the car had scraped/bumped something anywhere on my return journey. I thought hard and remembered a moderately-sized speed breaker before my colony, and maybe the rear (carrying a pack of groceries in the boot) might have touched it. He said that the silencer of the 2014 City houses a sensor too, which triggers the malfunction indicator lamp if the silencer takes a hit OR is drenched by water or mud during heavy rains, etc. He added that if the car is behaving fine and all is well, then that sensor might have been triggered and the error imprinted into the ECU, hence the glow. He insisted repeatedly that this was not a cause for worry, and it was only a minor thing. Either way, I insisted to him to send over a techie tomorrow with the OBD laptop, and he promised he would do so.

Let's see if this is indeed the problem, come tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 11th April 2014 at 18:26.
Old 11th April 2014, 19:16   #68
BANNED

Quote:
The Service Supervisor called back about an hour back and suggested the battery disconnecting/resetting system method

He said that the silencer of the 2014 City houses a sensor too, which triggers the malfunction indicator lamp if the silencer takes a hit OR is drenched by water or mud during heavy rains, etc.
Disconnecting the battery suggestion is the first thing told, I am habituated as MASS keeps telling me when I had a indication of malfunction on my console. He assured me that it would go away after reconnecting and it did. To verify if there was an issue, I plugged the OBD 2 reader and tried checking but all was ON and no error codes recorded. The next day checked the same again using SDT but no codes recorded.

I'll wait for the update once the techie and his laptop do their job tomorrow. And also if possible take pictures of the sensor and your under-belly.

Anurag.
Old 11th April 2014, 19:54   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Service Supervisor called back about an hour back and suggested the battery disconnecting/resetting system method also, and to see if the malfunction glow disappeared. I did so and the computers resetted themselves, but the malfunction glow remained.
Eeeks! Hope all is well and nothing major!
Old 13th April 2014, 09:33   #70
BANNED

Quote:

Let's see if this is indeed the problem, come tomorrow. Fingers crossed.
Any update on the Engine check light?

Did the techie visit?

Anurag.
Old 13th April 2014, 11:27   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Any update on the Engine check light?

Did the techie visit?
Nope. He got tied up in some work at Bilaspur. They will be sending him tomorrow.

Meanwhile, I had got the mat job done on the day this event occurred.

Total cost = 3800/-. This includes front, rear and boot.

Fitting in progress.

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140411_121058.jpg

Front.

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140411_121957.jpg

Rear.

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140411_130750.jpg

Close look.

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140411_130756.jpg

Did a bit of DIY cutting to the film on the HU, inspired by neel.
Looks much neater now.

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140411_121945.jpg
Old 13th April 2014, 12:28   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Are these the 3M Nomad Mats? They look bit delicate to me.
I guess I will go with Kagu 3D Mats - somehow to me they look better: URLhttp://global-en.3dmats.com/products/?parent_id=36

Better Shots here: URL

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 13th April 2014 at 12:32.
Old 13th April 2014, 13:44   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
I guess I will go with Kagu 3D Mats - somehow to me they look better:
They are Nomad Mats, but not of 3M. The 3M order was pending for the past 3 weeks and was getting difficult to procure, and the existing OEM beige mats (which are pretty thin and fragile) were starting to gather dirt and looking spotty.

So I went over to the shop and looked over the existing stock, and this one (in a roll) looked decent. I rubbed it vigorously to check it's durability and it's pretty durable, and soft/cushiony to the touch as well. Colour combo is grey + beige. The owner said that it was the costliest mat roll he had with him. I gave him the go ahead, and measurements were taken and sections cut according to the footwells. Got an extra piece to cover the entire boot too. The cost is calculated according to per feet.

Had decided on the 3D mats as well but they are expensive + my kid would tear them to bits. For accumulated dust/dirt, these mats are the best because they let the dust settle into them and keep the top looking clean. Cleaning them is a hassle-free job. Let's see how long these last, after that I might go the 3D route.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 13th April 2014 at 13:47.
RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2014, 17:27   #74
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
Quote:
They are Nomad Mats, but not of 3M. Let's see how long these last, after that I might go the 3D route.
Take a look at the Post No.: 178 from my thread where I did buy a pair of 3D mats for INR 2800.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...e-blue-12.html

I guess you can try them before jumping onto 3M Nomad mats or the 3D Kagu ones.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2014, 09:44   #75
BHPian

Quote:

Did a bit of DIY cutting to the film on the HU, inspired by neel.
Looks much neater now.

Glad you got the mats. The 5.5K I spent on the 3M Nomad Mats did pinch me when I bought it but now I'm very happy with it and my family loves the carpet like feel of it. It rained pretty heavily in Bangalore few days back and my shoes were all into dirty water/mud and the mats took it all inside and hardly any dirt visible on top.

One suggestion on the mats for rear. I was planning to go for 1 piece as well but the 3M guy suggested I go with 3 piece as it'll be easy to remove them for cleaning. The 1 piece fit definitely looks much neater but the 3 piece might be more practical.

I'm glad you changed the protector on the Head Unit. It does look much neat now.

BTW, I'm done applying protector on the right side (where ORVM controls are). I'll share pictures soon. I've not been able to get Gadget Shieldz like material for the Head Unit.
neel911 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed