Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2014, 16:28   #91
Senior - BHPian

re: "Empress" - 2014 Honda City i-DTEC - Golden Brown - Royalty on Wheels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel911 View Post
Few things based on what you've highlighted above: - How is the microphone quality? For lower variants, the microphone is on the HU and the microphone sensors are not that great. The person at other end always ends up complaining. What they have given in V/VX seems to be a much better position. I just wish that had a 'V' variant for CVT models.
I agree with RavenAvi, the Bluetooth quality has been very good on the V variant and I use it quite often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Thanks, neel. I am just trying to one-up GTO's stupendous Honda City review!
I am sure you will

Quote:
Since the price difference is only 50-60K between the SV and V variants, people paying ~10 lacs for the SV CVT wouldn't have had a problem paying only 60K extra to have a V CVT instead. Tactical blunder by Honda there.
And they should possibly add a Diesel CVT as well In any case, for folks in Bangalore, the moment the Ex-Showroom crosses 10L all hell breaks loose and we end up paying obscene amount of taxes.

I did have to think a lot to decide if the V variant was worth it since the Tax differential was about 45K due to V variant crossing 10L. But after seeing how important some of these features are and with Honda scaring people with warranty issues for most market add-ons, I am happy with the decision.
vsrivatsa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2014, 18:42   #92
Senior - BHPian

Nice updates Avi. I always learn more about city by visiting your thread. Guess till the time I take delivery of mine I will be an expert all thanks to U and couple of others maintaining their ownership threads.

It's no secret I wanted V variant too. It's Vfm considering what all we get in 50k more. But delivery time of August put me off. I can get few things after market like alloys, Ice upgrades, but small things which really matters like front map reading lights and orvm retractable button which are basic essentials will be missed.

I don't use car bluetooth right now though it works very well in my Manza, but I use jawbone ear bluetooth cos nothing beats it's clarity. Still it's disappointing to know it isn't as clear in Sv as in V and VX.
harry10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2014, 19:16   #93
BHPian

On my iDTEC SV, my biggest complaints has been the Bluetooth audio. I am planning to take this up with the service center and have them fix this up - whatever it takes and escalate to Honda if required. I am surprised that something like this was not quality tested properly. My first service is due this week, so lets see.
Old 21st April 2014, 21:10   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vista_qjd View Post
On my iDTEC SV, my biggest complaints has been the Bluetooth audio. I am planning to take this up with the service center and have them fix this up - whatever it takes and escalate to Honda if required. I am surprised that something like this was not quality tested properly. My first service is due this week, so lets see.
I don't think there is anything for the service center to fix here. The location of the mic on Audio console unit is the biggest flaw and no matter what they do, it will always be far away from where your voice comes out and it'll never be clear. I have fallen back to my Jabra Hands free unit.
neel911 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2014, 22:09   #95
BHPian

Quote:
I don't think there is anything for the service center to fix here. The location of the mic on Audio console unit is the biggest flaw and no matter what they do, it will always be far away from where your voice comes out and it'll never be clear. I have fallen back to my Jabra Hands free unit.
Not sure, I would rather expect the service center / Honda to provide a resolution. When we buy anything, don't we expect them to work to as described and if not expect the service center to fix things up? I think everyone who has this issue should raise it rather than take it for given. When the suspension makes a noise or the door rattles, we take it up with the service center - I would do the same with the Bluetooth as well.
Old 21st April 2014, 22:13   #96
BANNED

Quote:
When we buy anything, don't we expect them to work to as described and if not expect the service center to fix things up? I think everyone who has this issue should raise it rather than take it for given.
IMO, such issues need to be submitted as customer feedback with negative comments mentioning this in the feedback. I don't think fighting for such things is found to yield antic other than frustration and energy loss.

We all have to collectively ask for a better setup so that the borough thing works from factory.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2014, 09:26   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
And they should possibly add a Diesel CVT as well In any case, for folks in Bangalore, the moment the Ex-Showroom crosses 10L all hell breaks loose and we end up paying obscene amount of taxes.

I did have to think a lot to decide if the V variant was worth it since the Tax differential was about 45K due to V variant crossing 10L. But after seeing how important some of these features are and with Honda scaring people with warranty issues for most market add-ons, I am happy with the decision.
Honda could have taken this opportunity of the 2014 City to launch a diesel CVT. I believe they missed out on a tremendous opportunity here to bury the Verna diesel AT for good.

Actually it's pretty feasible - considering the prices of the variants, and assuming equal differences between the manual and the CVT models, they could have launched the diesel CVT in V and VX trim (or in SV & VX trims, could have made sense since the petrol CVT is offered in SV and VX). Even in the SV trim, the diesel CVT would have been VFM.

Consider the pricing of the Verna:

Name:  verna.GIF
Views: 3884
Size:  30.9 KB

The automatic variants of the corresponding manuals are at a price difference of ~73,000/-, give or take a few. The top AT variant, SX (O), is priced at 11,81-ish, ex-showroom. That's a 4-speed laggard box, finetuned for in-city driving only.

Now, consider the pricing of the City:

Name:  city.GIF
Views: 3857
Size:  33.6 KB

Added are my projections for possible pricing of the diesel CVT variants, if they had been launched, and taking the difference between the petrol manual and petrol CVT variants into consideration.

The V CVT diesel could be scratched because it's close to the VX MT diesel's pricing, but look at the possible prices of the SV CVT diesel and the VX CVT diesel!

A potential customer paying 11.80 L for the Verna's 4-speed SX (O) AT diesel wouldn't mind to spend 50K extra to have the City VX CVT diesel in his garage, which has more gears spread out in a better ratio, the fantastic i-DTEC under the hood, plus all the goodies Honda has thrown in the VX trim.

Yep, Honda seriously missed a great opportunity here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Nice updates Avi. I always learn more about city by visiting your thread. Guess till the time I take delivery of mine I will be an expert all thanks to U and couple of others maintaining their ownership threads.
Thank you so much, harry. I am glad you are liking the updates so far. Will try to improve on them as much as I can by the time you are ready to take delivery, my friend.

Quote:
It's no secret I wanted V variant too. It's Vfm considering what all we get in 50k more. But delivery time of August put me off. I can get few things after market like alloys, Ice upgrades, but small things which really matters like front map reading lights and orvm retractable button which are basic essentials will be missed.
Yes, at only 50K more, the VMT is a better VFM proposition than the SV MT, considering all the goodies offered at that price. In fact, the V MT is the best in terms of pricing in the 2014 City range, considering all the stuff offered in it.

Quote:
I don't use car bluetooth right now though it works very well in my Manza, but I use jawbone ear bluetooth cos nothing beats it's clarity. Still it's disappointing to know it isn't as clear in Sv as in V and VX.
A flaw which might be rectified once the facelift arrives. In-dash microphones never worked any better than overhead microphones. One of the main reasons why the phone mics are fixed at the top.

Quote:
Not sure, I would rather expect the service center / Honda to provide a resolution. When we buy anything, don't we expect them to work to as described and if not expect the service center to fix things up? I think everyone who has this issue should raise it rather than take it for given. When the suspension makes a noise or the door rattles, we take it up with the service center - I would do the same with the Bluetooth as well.
Suspension and door rattles can be fixed. But when a thing such as this is offered as an inbuilt feature of the Head Unit, the A.S.S. center can't do anything about it. There might be aftermarket solutions available for tampering with the HU but that might result in voiding warranty.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
IMO, such issues need to be submitted as customer feedback with negative comments mentioning this in the feedback. I don't think fighting for such things is found to yield antic other than frustration and energy loss.

We all have to collectively ask for a better setup so that the borough thing works from factory.
+1. This is the best all SV owners can do at the moment, I am afraid. Anurag is 100% right. This is the only way Honda might look into the problem and address it in the mid-life facelift, due in 3 years' time.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 22nd April 2014 at 09:32.
Old 22nd April 2014, 10:54   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Honda could have taken this opportunity of the 2014 City to launch a diesel CVT. I believe they missed out on a tremendous opportunity here to bury the Verna diesel AT for good.

A potential customer paying 11.80 L for the Verna's 4-speed SX (O) AT diesel wouldn't mind to spend 50K extra to have the City VX CVT diesel in his garage, which has more gears spread out in a better ratio, the fantastic i-DTEC under the hood, plus all the goodies Honda has thrown in the VX trim.

Yep, Honda seriously missed a great opportunity here.
Great Analysis! I guess Honda would have done this analysis and maybe will release it before the mid-life once the sales begins to stabilize.

The important thing is Honda seems to be alert and gauging the demand well like the other article you shared where they are tweaking the supply to ensure its more tuned towards the higher variants
vsrivatsa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2014, 19:04   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

Storing Stuff in the 2014 Honda City

Well, typically Honda cars have no dearth of storage spaces, and it's no different for the 2014 City, although you will be surprised to know that the 3rd gen City boasted of more storage spaces than this 4th gen iteration.

Don't believe me? Just go through these posts from my Pegasus (2012 Honda City) thread) and compare them to the pictures to follow.

Let's start with the front doors.

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140419_095732.jpg

Neat, deep cubicle for a 1 liter bottle.

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140422_111244.jpg

On it's side, space for a folded mag/newspaper/book/cleaning cloth.

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140422_111252.jpg

Added space on the door armrest for the mag/newspaper/cell phone.

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140422_111300.jpg

Now, the rear doors.

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140419_095843.jpg

Space for 1 liter bottle provided as well.

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140422_111337.jpg

Additional smaller cubicle given.
Won't hold any bottles but maybe a biscuit pack, or small packets of knick-knacks.

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140422_111343.jpg

Space on the door armrest, possibly for the mag/newspaper/cell phone.

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140422_111349.jpg

Moving inside, the central console houses spaces to stow away two 1-liter bottles.

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140422_110951.jpg

Space under the handbrake can hold your cell phone/HU remote comfortably.

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140422_111006.jpg

Not sure why these 2 spaces are given on either side of the handbrake.
The best they can do is hold a cellphone longitudinally, but not snugly.

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140422_111012.jpg

Space below the driver's armrest is ample for a 500-ml bottle or anything taller (such as the Samsung Grands).
Carpeted base provided but it moves to the touch.

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140422_111023.jpg

Glovebox is decently wide, although not as deep.

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140422_111051.jpg

A CD case popped in for an idea of the depth/width.

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140422_111113.jpg

Small driver-side pocket provided (on right side of steering) to store toll tickets/loose change, can be closed to hide away from prying eyes.

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140422_111443.jpg

The parcel tray.
Sufficiently wide to hold plenty of items on outstation trips - handbags, small cushions, towels, knick-knacks, etc.
Note the recess on all sides to keep the items from moving.

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140422_111414.jpg

The 3rd-gen City had storage spaces under the rear seat on either side.
No such provision in the 4th-gen City.

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140422_111506.jpg

If you have a long, thin item such as a notebook/netbook/normal book, you can stuff it away under the front seats instead.
But, pushing it in and taking it out can be a pain.

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140422_111540.jpg

If all else fails, there's always the 510-liter boot to fall back on.
Almost 480 liters of usable space above provided, which can take care of at least 4 fully loaded suitcases, and then some.

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140422_111609.jpg

The only CD you will find in any of my cars. My eternal favorite Hindi film soundtrack.

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140422_111147.jpg

In addition, VX owners will have an extra storage space behind the front seats for the rear passengers, because they come with leather seat covers. No such luck for other variant owners, unless you get a seat cover set fitted from outside.
RavenAvi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2014, 20:30   #100
BANNED

Quote:
Storing Stuff in the 2014 Honda City

Well, typically Honda cars have no dearth of storage spaces, and it's no different for the 2014 City, although you will be surprised to know that the 3rd gen City boasted of more storage spaces than this 4th gen iteration.
Why would you store anything in the place provided in the arm rest that is meant to pull/push the door?

It is a risky place as someone can flick away the mobile if the window is open or it can fall down when the door closes. Newspaper/magazine wont fit anyway.

Anurag.
Old 22nd April 2014, 20:47   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Why would you store anything in the place provided in the arm rest that is meant to pull/push the door?

It is a risky place as someone can flick away the mobile if the window is open or it can fall down when the door closes. Newspaper/magazine wont fit anyway.
LOL you will be surprised by the number of people who stuff their cars to the brim with as many of their belongings as they can.

One of my friends has stashed away literally half of his home's stuff inside his Verna - every time his family is looking for something which is presumably lost, they go out and check the car's cabin first!

--------------------------

I forgot to mention the price of the Jopasu Car Duster Gift Pack kit in the previous page.

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-t2ec16dhjie9qso9bwbqgnocstcq60_12.jpg

For those who are interested, I got it from eBay at Rs. 1,198/-.

Here's the link for the same : http://www.ebay.in/itm/110825975835?...84.m1497.l2649

Last edited by RavenAvi : 22nd April 2014 at 20:49.
RavenAvi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2014, 20:57   #102
BANNED

Quote:
LOL you will be surprised by the number of people who stuff their cars to the brim with as many of their belongings as they can.

--------------------------

I forgot to mention the price
Lol!

Even I bought the same combo but from Snap Deal for Rs 1140/-

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2014, 15:32   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

First Service @ 1221 kms

Received 2 separate calls from the A.S.S. center that Empress's First Service was due on 25th April. Sent her for the service yesterday with Dad, since I was busy with office work and meetings.

It was the routine general check-up, top ups of all her fluid levels and washing/cleaning/polishing. I had also requested a complete check of all the fuses, glow plugs, system software, etc., because of the "Malfunction" indicator fiasco encountered earlier in the month.

Empress went in at 10 AM and was out by 3:30 PM, all jobs done. Bill was zero.

The engine running has become quite smooth now. Also, the clutch resistance has smoothened a bit more (or maybe I am getting used to it). The gear slotting is still precise and heavy. Ride comfort is a bit stiff, but no complaints.

In-city FE is at 20.7 kmpl (with ACC on all the time), and will improve in the days to come, as per my SA, Deepak.

In-between, Empress received her first two nicks - one on the rear bumper on the passenger's side, and one on the underside of the front bumper on driver's side.

Both were solely due to my mistake.

1) I was backing up and turning on the inside (passenger side) to park in front of a shop, and was so intent watching the reverse camera view that I failed to notice a small, rounded fence on the pavement side (the one they put around a plant). Should have peeked once into the passenger ORVM, and this could have been averted.

Result:

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140426_124951.jpg

The line is too small to be detected from a distance, yet on close inspection it shows that paint has chipped off in some of those tiny holes.

2) I had driven to the Hyundai dealership to pick up the RC card and certificate for our Eon, and had to park inside the compound since they had their huge delivery truck in the outer parking spot. There was a ramp in front leading into the dealership, and I misjudged the height between it and the lower portion of the front bumper.

Result: (check the engine guard GC level too!)

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140426_125023.jpg

I was entering at a very slow speed, so bigger damage was averted. As in the case of the rear bumper, the scratch is tough to spot from the front, but it's very much there.

But yes, be warned when you are parking close to the pavement from the front. The front bumper is much lower than the view from the driver's seat suggests. The 3rd gen City had better front bumper placement, and it wasn't as low hanging as the 4th gen City. I might go for front parking sensors just to keep the front bumper safe from future scrapes.

No other incident to report. Empress rules my life right now. The ACC is a real boon, specially now when midday temperatures are soaring to 40°C and afternoon temperature is hovering around the 45° mark! I keep it at 22-23 degrees, and after the first round of rapid cooling at "LO", the cabin stays sufficiently cooled for the rest of the day trips. Bluetooth works like a charm, and is immensely helpful for me who is constantly on the move. The HU + front speaker output is sufficiently impressive as well, although the rear speakers can be termed as average, as best.

Seat covers have still not arrived. I am told it will take 4-5 more days, since they have been ordered directly from Autoform Delhi. The set is complete with matching twin neck cushions, armrest cover and steering wheel cover.

Also on the lookout for a medium-sized Lord Ganesha idol as well. Tyre upgrade possibly next month, and most probably will be the Primacy 3STs.

My Princess striking a pose with "her" Empress.

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140426_125059.gif

Ciao!

Last edited by RavenAvi : 26th April 2014 at 15:34.
RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2014, 20:24   #104
BHPian

Quote:

In-between, Empress received her first two nicks - one on the rear bumper on the passenger's side, and one on the underside of the front bumper on driver's side.
I wish Honda would have given sensors along with camera. For me, the reverse sensors with beeps are a boon. Even if I had gone for top end, I would have installed sensors as sound warning is more reliable at times than the eyes trying to find obstacles. Maybe you should consider getting one.

Quote:

Seat covers have still not arrived. I am told it will take 4-5 more days, since they have been ordered directly from Autoform Delhi. The set is complete with matching twin neck cushions, armrest cover and steering wheel cover.
Do be careful on the armrest cover. I wanted one for mine as well but to do so in a proper way, the seat guys would have had to remove the top part and they were a bit skeptical of getting the lock damaged and I didn't want to take risk.

Steering Wheel cover also, I wish Honda gave an option so the fit and finish would be like the top end VX model. For now, I'm happy with plain one and maybe its more hygienic and easy to clean.

Quote:

Also on the lookout for a medium-sized Lord Ganesha idol as well.
Check out online sites including ebay. They have tons of options.
neel911 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2014, 23:45   #105
BHPian

Great pictures and good info as well. Was pained to read you got minor blemishes on the beautiful Empress.

Quote:
My Princess striking a pose with "her" Empress.
Your Empress dims in comparison to your extremely charming princess. Hugs to her.
anilagdr is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed