Manual 88 36.21%
Paddle Shifting 99 40.74%
I wont buy the Civic 56 23.05%
Voters: 243. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2006, 18:31   #16
BHPian

hey busa,

i test drove the civic today too, and totally agree with you. the car looks sleek no doubt, the engine is peppy too..but overall its too hyped.. the wipers don seem to clean as much area as normal wipers, the gearbox was notchy too, and ya the tendency to lock up havin abs was totally unexplained for...as far as the bulit quality goes, honda has understood the mentality of indians, its more show & less go, the prices are suited for the indian market and if u see standard features like lumbar support, fog lamps, audio controls on steerin are missin which just goes to show the cost cutting measures..however i was disappionted as i expected much more from the car ..but still iguess its gonna sell well. but whatever it may be, i wasted my holiday test drivin the civic, maybe a movie could have been better...:(

Quote:
Will they reduce prices then
Cant say but will surely reduce quality.

Also in the 8th series of Top gear JCs mother had complained that there is a tendency of going threw the front windscreen everytime you shift gear, and May also said that the gearbox was bad, now that explains why its similar in the Indian Civic.

Last edited by Mp421b : 5th July 2006 at 18:36.
Old 5th July 2006, 18:35   #17
BHPian

how can honda compromise on build quality which was excellent in both city and accord??????
Old 5th July 2006, 18:37   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA

Is it just me or is the lid really an uneven fitment? Or was it open when you clicked this picture? I really like the new Civic, but has Honda shortchanged their Indian customers...again?
Old 5th July 2006, 18:48   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo
Is it just me or is the lid really an uneven fitment? Or was it open when you clicked this picture? I really like the new Civic, but has Honda shortchanged their Indian customers...again?
the lid would be opened for sure....
Old 5th July 2006, 18:50   #20
BHPian

"I'm not sure you can generalize that build quality is poor - it could be that these two particular cars scraped their rear ends pretty bad going over something, I mean, if you could go up to 7100 rpm and cut the engine off, who knows who else had some fun at the cars expense"

Lets call a spade a spade. I have done 15k kms in my RS; several times I have revved it into the red zone (it does not have a rev limiter). The exhaust has not fallen off nor has the turbo or the engine been cooked. When I stomp on the brake pedal it squeals/judders (ABS) to a stop in a STRAIGHT line, doesn't swish around. I am firmly convinced that Honda India cuts corners (drove a OHC for 3 years) - Honda may be a great product abroad, not here.
Old 5th July 2006, 18:57   #21
Senior - BHPian

Don't really want to sound mean, but can't help getting a feeling that the review looks like its trying to prove a point. To be frank, with all the comparisons to the Optra, it sounds like a "my car is much better and comes at a much better price" kind of review. But then as the disclaimer says it is only the reviewer's opinion. I for one, would hold my horses till I hear other viewpoints.

Quote:
Seating three behind is quite tough, but in the Optra its easy.
I have not seen the Civic yet. But find this tough to digest.

One thing that did make a bad impression was the "bumper falling off" incident. Something not expected from Honda. Anyway, good review or otherwise and premium pricing notwithstanding, we all know that this is going to be a winner all the way and we can see quite some players falling by the wayside.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 5th July 2006 at 19:09.
Old 5th July 2006, 19:16   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But then as the disclaimer says it is only the reviewer's opinion.
Maybe, maybe not. Anyway, we'l know only when more people test drive it.

Shan2nu
Old 5th July 2006, 20:00   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

And we were thinking that auto companies were finally bringing in quality stuff for which the Indian customer is becoming willing to pay value money for. Case in point - Toyota, Skoda ..

Honestly, I hope any problems noticed so far are just glitches. The Civic has proven itself since it's launch years back.
Old 5th July 2006, 20:14   #24
Senior - BHPian

Nice review dude...

Just one question, how do u sum it up with the Octavia RS?? Both have enough power for the roads here, and both can be called as 'performance cars' here too, so just curious
Old 5th July 2006, 20:26   #25
Senior - BHPian

Nice review busa, you have surely not beaten about the bush when going over the not-so-nice aspects of this car. I have a strange empty feeling in me: i expected this car to become straightaway the best car sold in India.

Looks like we have to wait a little longer for that......
Old 5th July 2006, 20:38   #26
BHPian

Nice review. I am yet to test drive the civic, the honda dealer has promised a drive some time next week.

I know the comfort levels of the Optra (I have the 1.8) are in a class of its own. I guess honda has a long way to go... But even the OHC had bad rear seats. But it did sell. Nothing is for sure unless we get to see the cars on road I guess.
Old 5th July 2006, 20:57   #27
BHPian

nice review busa,I appreciate the effort taken by you to present the first review of the civic in tbhp.

But somehow I coudn't digest many things you have said...

So I would wait for an un-baised review by some good mag.
Old 5th July 2006, 21:23   #28
Senior - BHPian

And how is the all-round visibility? Did you check out the climate control?

And how does the civic stand against cedia?

Asking this question because while cedia is low on grunt, its braking power and handling is the best in the segment and the car while lacking in features has attention to details like superb gearshift, higher ground clearance, better steering feedback and all round visibility. Even the two roadtests I read say its build quality is extremely good. And the huge price difference?

Is the civic equally good on these factors but let down compared to the price?

About the civic Auto with lag, That's similar to the invecs and all auto's have it but I would still love to own one. Just because the cities today are extremely jammed and changing gears frequently is certainly not as much fun in traffic as on highways.

Your pics are good.

Last edited by devarshi84 : 5th July 2006 at 21:24.
Old 5th July 2006, 21:30   #29
BANNED

BOOMerang!!

Quote:
Opposite wipers are just crap. They clean less area then normal ones and leave too much water at the top. Its just a marketting gimmick.
You found the reason why I didn't mention these when I said when I said Flat Floor Technology and audio controls at the rear are what Civic really has over other cars in it's segment ... Cool!

However you did correct me for having forgotten to mention the digital speedometer and I thank you for the same... Just thought that was obvious from others posts and my posts somewhere on our forum way back in time.

Quote:
Engine - Its a master peace. thought sluggish at lower speeds it gets in its stride after 3500 RPM.
Do I see the DOHC point I raised and the Bangkok trip of mine making some sense? I don't think so... I'm just a retard who cuts and pastes from the internet... Heck! I only wish I would even go out as much as to check my mailbox. All my life, I have aimed to be a cut and paste from the internet grandmaster just do deal with exhaust mouths.

Let me search Google and see if the Thai Civic is even detuned like the Indian Civic... I may get my valves "LIFTED" and understand what an i-VTEC SOHC is too! ....... Not to worry, I will cut and paste it all too... lol .... lmao ... lmfao... roflmao!

Henceforth, I'm gonna be an internet Buddha and diss people for no reason too....

MOD NOTE: Post edited, No personal attacks please. Thank you

Last edited by Mpower : 5th July 2006 at 21:59.
Old 5th July 2006, 21:40   #30
BANNED

Saw a Civic being test driven around Lokhandwala today. Looked pretty nice in person. Should be quite a hit.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks