Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2014, 15:09   #91
BHPian

Neat design - though the previous one was better

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
A thumbs down on the new front and rear design from my side. Front looks like a mix of Baleno and Verna. And the rear is now too cluttered. And they skipped on the Engine upgrade too.
One opportunity lost.
The previous iteration was one of the more handsome cars on road. It still is. The new version has lost some of the understated style- though it's still much better looking than cars that are considered stylish.

(PS: I must admit that my opinion may be biased for I've never been a big fan of the 'fluidic' design philosophies that seem to be all the rage these days.)

Last edited by Ironhide : 12th March 2014 at 15:11.
Old 12th March 2014, 16:20   #92
BHPian

Re: The 2014 Fiat Linea Facelift - Test Drive & Review

Superb Review! Rated a well deserved 5 stars!

I liked the overall changes! The rear now looks really sporty, only grouse being the maintenance of the huge crome strip!

Dislike was the instrument console! The older Linea had one of the best, uncluttered and clean instrument consoles in the sub 10L strata. Shame they had to go the Honda City way and make it flamboyant.

Thankfully, the rest of the interiors reek quality and class. Hope this bolsters the sales of FIAT overall.
Old 12th March 2014, 16:39   #93
BHPian

A very good detailed review! Overall I liked the upgrade but feel there is too much of chrome at the rear. A projector headlamp and DRL would have got it another step forward. Then again, 1.3 MJD is still a let down and a deciding factor. Many people had a lot of hopes of 1.6 motor in this upgrade. The interiors look good compared to the linea classic. It looks classy and the ambience lighting might add some nice feel to it.
Old 13th March 2014, 14:31   #94
BHPian

I just had a first hand look at the New Linea in the showroom. True, the facelift has been given an overdose of chrome, it however appealed to the lady of the house.
The cost difference between the Emotion and Dynamic trims is almost 50K. I don't see how useful Cruise Control will be in Indian conditions. Fiat is offering leather seat covers for Rs 5500. Thereafter, all that remains is mostly of cosmetic nature - ambient lights, lights in vanity mirror and sun curtain. How much difference does a 16" alloy make to the ride quality?

I would like comments on whether it makes more sense to go in for the Dynamic trim.

Also, as in the 2013 Linea, I am still not able to find the correct driving position, as the steering does not go as down as I would like. The centre arm rest also falls short of reaching the full arm and giving the right support. I am 5'9", so must be the case for most Indians.
Old 14th March 2014, 09:37   #95

Absolutely fantastic review, thanks a lot, it helped immensely towards making a buying decision.

I did a test drive of the T-Jet and the Multijet version of the new Linea yesterday.The Multijet leaves you disappointed, especially if you drive it after driving the T-Jet. I would almost say, if one is keen on going for the Diesel Multijet, don't try the T-Jet.

I am in the process of buying a new car and I have almost finalized on buying the new 2014 Linea T-Jet, but one thing is confusing me a bit. The 2013 Linea (both MultiJet and T-Jet) are still being sold in the showrooms, and they are offering a little more than 1 Lakh of discount on it . Now this has left me in a fix, what are negatives in taking this offer?
Old 14th March 2014, 11:09   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganeshnag75 View Post
The cost difference between the Emotion and Dynamic trims is almost 50K. I don't see how useful Cruise Control will be in Indian conditions. Fiat is offering leather seat covers for Rs 5500. Thereafter, all that remains is mostly of cosmetic nature - ambient lights, lights in vanity mirror and sun curtain. How much difference does a 16" alloy make to the ride quality?

I would like comments on whether it makes more sense to go in for the Dynamic trim.
The 16 inch coupled with lower profile tyres, the ride is a little stiff. The Goodyear NCT 5 tyres too added to the stiffness.

Even ignoring the cruise control, the emotion variant offers leather seats, ambient lights, vanity mirror (to keep the lady happy), sun curtain, 16 inch alloys and tyres justify the additonal cost of 50K.

However, do note the 16 inch tyres do cost a lot more than the 15 inchers, so in the longer run, you might to shell out a bigger amount on replacement tyres.

PS: The leathers seats that is offered by the dealer would be an art leather. None of the genuine leathers seats even the thinnest come for 5500 bucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kart View Post
I did a test drive of the T-Jet and the Multijet version of the new Linea yesterday.The Multijet leaves you disappointed, especially if you drive it after driving the T-Jet. I would almost say, if one is keen on going for the Diesel Multijet, don't try the T-Jet.

I am in the process of buying a new car and I have almost finalized on buying the new 2014 Linea T-Jet, but one thing is confusing me a bit. The 2013 Linea (both MultiJet and T-Jet) are still being sold in the showrooms, and they are offering a little more than 1 Lakh of discount on it . Now this has left me in a fix, what are negatives in taking this offer?
The Tjet does spoil you and is far more fun to drive than the multijet. Somebody who is looking at diesel test drives the Tjet, it will add up to the confusion.

The older Linea was still in production till Feb 2014. From the last time I heard on the pre facelift linea, there were around 400 odd still in stock in the 2nd week of Feb. This would be available till the stocks and exist.

Negatives, you will be left with a pre facelift version at a lower cost.
Old 14th March 2014, 11:46   #97
BHPian

Quote:
I just had a first hand look at the New Linea in the showroom. True, the facelift has been given an overdose of chrome, it however appealed to the lady of the house.

One difference between the 16" and 15" alloys is that the 16" wheels offer better stability on the highway. Gurus, please correct me if i'm wrong here but in the city, i don't think there's a lot of difference.
Also look wise, the 16" alloys look far better than the ones on the dynamic. If you are opting for the T-jet, then, from the exterior, looking at the wheels(and the chrome side moldings, bumper protectors) is how we come to know if the variant is Emotion or not.

And the ground clearance in the Emotion variant(190mm) is higher than that of the dynamic(185mm). Really helps in city driving conditions. The other cosmetic changes you've mentioned come at a price.

Like nkrishnap has pointed out, the 50k extra for the top end variant is justified.

Quote:
Also, as in the 2013 Linea, I am still not able to find the correct driving position, as the steering does not go as down as I would like. The centre arm rest also falls short of reaching the full arm and giving the right support. I am 5'9", so must be the case for most Indians.
It does take a while for you to get the driving position right with the new car. But eventually you'll find one.

Quote:
Could not agree more.

Quote:
The negatives would be that you do not get the cruise control option, extra chrome content on the exteriors and redesigned interiors. If you like the older model, you might as well go for it as the facelifted linea is not a major upgrade. Make sure you check the VIN if you do.
Old 14th March 2014, 13:32   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
If we consider from Fiat's point of view as well, they are right actually. Linea is already struggling for sales numbers since beginning. So why will they launch costly version of it with 1.6 MJD? It will be sales dud. Few people will take it for sure but not many. So Fiat will not gain much from it. So they are playing safe with T-jet and Multi-jet. If Linea was selling like 3-4 K per month, then story could have been totally different. They would have thought of launching 1.6 MJD for enthusiastic people.
Well Aniket, this comes back to the vicious circle. Don't you think that the manufacturer must provide a competent product to demand 3/4K sales figure per month. And why do you think fixing the 1.6 would increase the cost of the Linea when all the competitors are providing 1.5/1.6L engines at comparable cost. Secondly, we all very well know how one competent product can change the fortune of the company and we all have witnessed the case of Renault and Ford.

Let Fiat bring in the 1.6 MJD in the Linea, and if they can back it by competent after sales service and good marketing it would certainly boost the sales.

Quote:
Mechanically there is no difference except the CC, you'll not loose anything on the fun factor here. For the 1 Lahk you'll loose the new looks and the upgraded interiors and a lot of people had grudge about the bad interiors of the earlier version.

You need to take an informed decision here and best wishes for your new car.

Last edited by Sommos : 14th March 2014 at 13:34.
Old 14th March 2014, 19:10   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
Well Aniket, this comes back to the vicious circle. Don't you think that the manufacturer must provide a competent product to demand 3/4K sales figure per month. And why do you think fixing the 1.6 would increase the cost of the Linea when all the competitors are providing 1.5/1.6L engines at comparable cost. Secondly, we all very well know how one competent product can change the fortune of the company and we all have witnessed the case of Renault and Ford.

Let Fiat bring in the 1.6 MJD in the Linea, and if they can back it by competent after sales service and good marketing it would certainly boost the sales.
Apart from the enthusiasts, I don't think anybody else was crying for a 1.6 MJD. And out of the minuscule population that makes up the enthusiasts, a sizable number would stay away citing "poor service". Fiat does not have the required potential numbers to set up a manufacturing line for the 1.6 MJD. If they import it, then price would go over the roof, and people would complain about not pricing it properly.

All in all, Fiat is fighting a losing battle here. Fiat does not have a brand value anymore. The earlier they kill the Fiat brand and start afresh as Chrysler, the better.
Old 14th March 2014, 19:15   #100
Senior - BHPian

Saw a new one today but just about , i actually walked past it without even realizing it was a new one. The reason being that the chrome at the bottom , if you are standing close to the car does not come in your line of sight and one only see's the top which is as it has been , the grill again not standing out.

The mirrors yes but again by not much , the problem being that 90% of the design is exactly the same , its only that little additional strip which has come in which houses the indicators.

But the workshop has already got requests for putting parts on the older model i was told , especially the grill.

But the interiors did look really fresh in the front , was unable to get inside the car as it was locked but from what i could make out the dash area does look pretty neat and a bit more "contemporary"

Last edited by puchoo : 14th March 2014 at 19:29.
Old 15th March 2014, 23:18   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksport View Post
All in all, Fiat is fighting a losing battle here. Fiat does not have a brand value anymore. The earlier they kill the Fiat brand and start afresh as Chrysler, the better.
I don't think so! Especially after Fiat broke it failed alliance with Tata and went about setting up their own dealers & service centers, they are improving leaps & bounds!
Even the sales are on upward swing, though still not in good nos but definitely improving.
However, they need to bring on new models, just Linea & Punto is not good enough, need to seriously consider launching a entry level hatch that will bring them some volumes.
finneyp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2014, 09:32   #102
BHPian

Checked Out and Test Drove the Face-lifted Fiat Linea TJet at Ebony Fiat yesterday. A few quick impressions:

- The Interiors, are now at least two notches over the outgoing version. The black and beige contrasts far better than the grey and beige of older the older model. The quality and integration of the ICE is rather well done. The dashboard looks and feels very premium and well put together indeed. The stalks and switches all are good for the segment. However, the soft touch beige part of the dashboard felt like some synthetic fabric to me. Don't get me wrong here, IT IS VERY GOOD, but if it is a fabric then keeping it clean and stain-free will just be a task cut out for prospective owners. IMHO, the interior is much better designed than the new New City.

- The Rear Seats, remain the same as the outgoing version. The seat itself is very comfortable, it's just that the leg-room falls much short of the segment benchmarks, the City and Sunny/ Scala twins. One observation merits mention here; the base of the rear seat is nice and long, extends well under the thigh and that is what makes it very comfortable. The seat base is much bigger than even the one in the middle row of the XUV5OO, and that's saying a lot!

- The Drive. I have owned and driven the Ford Fiesta 1.4 NA Petrol since 2006. I simply love the driving dynamics of my good old Ford, not so much it's power delivery. Now, when I start driving this TJet, I realize that the Turbo Petrol is in a different league all-together! It's just a completely different animal, fierce and eager to go. All the other cars on the road suddenly seamed to be moving rather lazily! The engine is just outstanding; the power comes on strong and you don't want to let go of the A-Pedal. The steering balance and the high speed dynamics were all superb, just like my ol' Ford.

For the self driving types, the TJet is perhaps the best Petrol sedan out there under the 10L mark.

Last edited by rednikhil : 16th March 2014 at 09:53. Reason: clarify
rednikhil is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th March 2014, 09:37   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post

I don't think so! Especially after Fiat broke it failed alliance with Tata and went about setting up their own dealers & service centers, they are improving leaps & bounds!
Even the sales are on upward swing, though still not in good nos but definitely improving.
However, they need to bring on new models, just Linea & Punto is not good enough, need to seriously consider launching a entry level hatch that will bring them some volumes.
It sounds like deja vu. When Fiat got into the alliance with tata we heard people saying the same thing. That finally we are going to have better service and sales would improve under the tata stable. Nothing of that sort happened. Sales increased momentarily after some new launch and then fell.

I do not understand why they should not start afresh. Like what GM did by killing Opel and starting new as Chevrolet. They are doing better now.

I agree with your last point. If fiat wants to be the volume player, they need an entry hatch. I am not sure if the panda fits the bill, but it would be an interesting one. Why not call it Chrysler Panda? We have space for new brands. Look at Datsun.
Old 16th March 2014, 12:24   #104
Senior - BHPian

So i managed to spend a fair amount of time with the new Linea while waiting for insurance formalities and some other work to be sorted out on Tizze's recent accident and here is my feedback on the car - i have still not taken a test drive of the new car but i do not expect anything new there at all.

The new car has enough quality and finish issues as well , in fact some new ones like the picture below. This area is towards the top of the rear lights. Notice the badly cut rubber to align with the body and also notice the rather unfinished welding/seam job that is present in the marked out yellow area.

The 2014 Fiat Linea Facelift - Test Drive & Review-puchoonew4_zpsf8146561.jpg

The glossy black which has been put on the new dashboard in going to be pain to keep clean. The storage area on top for example which has been photographed below is good enough to be used in crime scenes for collection of fingerprints. I opened it once and you can see clearly how it has taken a hold on the finger prints. I am actually a bit surprise that this is in glossy finish , being a storage area it will be used often enough and will collect finger / hand marks

The 2014 Fiat Linea Facelift - Test Drive & Review-puchoonew1_zps1ecfb8d6.jpg

The next photo depicts the earlier and the new rear armrest. While the design has stayed the same , fiat has added a strap to pull it down which is very convenient and a nice add on. In the earlier models one had to pry one's fingers into the sides and open it. Small word of caution , the movement is not exactly smooth

The 2014 Fiat Linea Facelift - Test Drive & Review-puchoonew7_zps8402b9de.jpg

Some changes in the icons which have been used across different controls. The older car had "MENU and ESC" written on it the new one simply says SET and a return arrow. Also appears to be a slight difference in the finish and the texture of the new buttons but cannot comment with 100% certainty. If there is the finish is still ok

The second change is in the steering wheel buttons. Instead of the "windows" icon earlier we now have a "speak audio" icon and on the top we again have the arrow key instead of the ESC button. Small change which is not going to effect usage at all.

The 2014 Fiat Linea Facelift - Test Drive & Review-puchoonew5_zps8374ee2f.jpg

The 2014 Fiat Linea Facelift - Test Drive & Review-puchoonew6_zpsf2a29d16.jpg

I am very clear with my opinion on the speedo area. The new one might have glossy rings but in terms of "asthetics" the older dials are far far better than what has been used now. And i dont mean to imply that the retro design is better but the manner in which the chrome has been used previously , the size of the rings , the fonts - all appears to be far better in the pre 2014 models.

The 2014 Fiat Linea Facelift - Test Drive & Review-speedos_zps84f352b6.jpg

Finally a shot of both the models side by side from the front. To each his own , but the one thing which stood out for me was that the grill in the new car allows for much more space and thus the view inside into the engine compartment ,the radiator is much more and the photo reflects that as well. Part of the aesthetics for me thus go for a toss because what i cannot block out when i look at the car are the unsymmetrical lines which appear owing to engine components being visible. There is also a clear recognition of the amount of space between the grill and the engine block - which is present in the older design as well but is hidden to a large degree.

The 2014 Fiat Linea Facelift - Test Drive & Review-puchoonew2_zpsbf9da887.jpg

A few other items which i thought best to be captured by small video clips, apologies for quality , doing it with one hand on an mobile

The video below is of the glove box. The glove box now is actually a soft open glove box and comes out nice and slowly upon unlocking it. The internal design ofcourse has been changed to , as pointed out earlier by members , into a 2 compartment design. Personally i prefer one big space but not a deal breaker at any rate.

Apologies for back to back posts , but unable to add more videos in the post above

Everyone's been highlighting the air flow control now present on the AC vents. If the quality is going to remain what i saw then it is going to be more of a problem than a boon. Absolutely pathetic. last Video below reflects that. The controls move up and down indicating they have been put in a rather flimsy manner. The side movement has many problems with them getting stuck and various spots and the movement not being free and smooth. On top of that the general "touch" of the buttons is not very nice either.

to view our pictorial help article on uploading pics.

Please submit images ONLY via the Team-BHP Attachment System.

Last edited by moralfibre : 17th March 2014 at 08:27. Reason: See note in post.
puchoo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2014, 12:43   #105
Senior - BHPian

The last video shows the new storage space under the MENU area of the car and the new driver armrest. This video i need to apologize about specifically regarding the "shakyness"

The storage space is nice although small and what would have been nice would have been a sound absorbing pad to cover the bottom to avoid rattles of coins which is what i foresee being primarily placed here.

The shortened arm rest looked strange to me from day 1 and after seeing it i am glad i have the design that i do. Firstly there is no back/front movement (atleast i could not manage) and the size is so small that your elbow is going to slide off - if you look at the video towards the end , there are 2 instances where my elbow slid off - all i was doing was to reach for the gears.

The current arm rest actually allows you to not only keep a larger part of your arm there , which is anyway more comfortable , but also make gear changes.

This also got me thinking if in some manner while Fiat might have created more storage areas whether they have actually managed to reduce the efficiency of the space available. The storage area under the MENU area is primarily primed for storage of change but nothing else. The new arm rest ensures that again you need to live with small items there and the top of the dash storage again is limited in size.

Let me take for example the remote control of the car. It is not going to fit in the MENU area , it is not going to fit horizontally into the armrest either ( even vertically i am not sure) , at max it fits into the storage on top of the dash. Compare this to the existing model , where it could go into the open slot under the MENU , it could also go easily into the driver arm rest along with other items as well.

Last edited by puchoo : 16th March 2014 at 12:45.
puchoo is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks