Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2014, 17:01   #106
BHPian

Re: The 2014 Fiat Linea Facelift - Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by puchoo View Post
The next photo depicts the earlier and the new rear armrest. While the design has stayed the same , fiat has added a strap to pull it down which is very convenient and a nice add on. In the earlier models one had to pry one's fingers into the sides and open it. Small word of caution , the movement is not exactly smooth

This add-on is present in the 2013 model Linea T-jet as well. Maybe Fiat added this late in 2013 as i see that your car is also the same year model. A pic of the rear armrest from our T-jet(Dec 2013 model) below.

The 2014 Fiat Linea Facelift - Test Drive & Review-img_1679.jpg
azhar915 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2014, 13:04   #107
BHPian

TD the new Fiat Linea both with Pandit Auto and Fiat Caffe at KP, Pune. Both have quoted different OTRs for the top T-JET Emotion version. Here are my initial impressions (note, I am an existing T-JET owner of 2011 make and Bronzo Scurro color)-

What I liked-

1. Is it just me or do others feel that the new design at the front and rear give the car a certain 'squarish' look as opposed to the 'rounded' look it had. I felt the car now compares beautifully with VW, SKoda and the big 3s. Not that design was an issue and the old one is still a killer. But i think the new one is more in line with the squarish designs that are in vogue now.

2. Interiors are mind blowing. I loved every bit of it and it certainly gives a more premium look to the car.

3. I think the gear shift ratios are shorter now. I changed the gear out of habit from my Old Linea but was surprised that the gear was changed when the lever was just 75% down (as per old standards). I found gears were a lot smoother and quicker but perhaps that may be because the car is new. (Expert opinion needed for endorsing this).

4. The piano black finish and the new look system are beautiful. Also the cap that they have now put on the top box above the system is very thoughtful. My earlier one just has the open storage area which is use to make it useless.

5. The ride was the same, you never get out of a t-jet without smiling.

What I didn't like-

1. For many here the reduced center front arm rest may be a boon but given my driving style i prefer the long armrest that does duty in the current version. The new one is pathetically small and inconvenient. But I do understand that Fiat did this change based on Feedback from existing users.

2. The storage space provided at the back of the front seats is reduced making it practically useless. The earlier bigger ones were the only place where you could keep large bottles.

3. The so called bottle space on the front doors looks like a smart design but i doubt if it is really that useful.

4. Why did Fiat remove the middle headrest from the rear? Whether it was useful or not but it still was an added extra, how much would have they saved by removing one component?

5. Whether it is just me or others to feel that the new Linea's steering is very light. It may be a boon in city traffic but I don't prefer such a light wheel in a T-Jet! It was too light for my taste.

Finally, OTR by Pandit Auto Pune is 10,20,000 for T-JET Emotion (top end in the new Lineas) and OTR by Fiat Caffe (Fiat owned) is 10,30,000 for the same model and same color.

When i probed with the SA of Fiat Caffe on why the difference, he said that dealers tend to hike or add some prices later on whereas what we have quoted is a price that doesn't have hidden costs. I asked him to give an example and he said that For e.g. we have included the handling charges and are providing Extended warranty for 7K. Checked the quote from Pandit auto and their quote includes both these components.

Not too sure if i can trust this new Fiat Caffe so i guess i will go ahead with Pandit Auto. Yes I am buying the new Fiat T-Jet for my existing one met with an untimely accident as some of you may be aware (I recently posted a thread on advice for my existing T-Jet).
Ashwin Morey is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2014, 20:53   #108
BHPian

Ashwin, what speeds were you driving at during the TD ?

The 2013 onward Lineas have a different steering setup which is lighter compared to 2011 models at city speeds but at highway speeds is as weighted.
Old 18th March 2014, 21:21   #109
Senior - BHPian

Just noticed that the autocar review for the new face lift is not present on this thread , posting it for anyone who might have missed it.

The other aspect i have noticed about fiat is with respect to their advertising and the stuff that they are pushing out about the new linea through their Facebook page ,and i think its a sound decision to do it ,- which is that a lot of the features which are being mentioned as "new" have actually always been present on the linea, for example , adjustment to the alarms buzzer volume , the leather upholstery , automatic headlamps and rain sensing wipers.

I was surprised by a few things which were available on the car when i bought my Tjet in mid 2013 so i am glad they are highlighting those , the advertising and information dissemination which i have seen from the company over the recent times has not been upto the mark at all and i am glad they are addressing that now.
puchoo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2014, 22:26   #110
BHPian

Is the wind noise at A pillar / wing mirror still present in the new Linea? Regulars on the official Linea test drive thread will remember that I had raised this same question last year. At that time I had noticed that from about 80 kmph onward there was a flapping noise at the A pillar.
Old 20th March 2014, 10:38   #111
Lij
BHPian

Thank you nkrishnap for the initial review. Have rated the thread 5 stars!!

I personally liked the new exterior of the Linea. And since the ride and handling dynamics remain the same this has now become one of my target upgrades.

Now waiting for the YL1 to be released and would like to see how the 1.4l K series fare in the sedan version.
Lij is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2014, 16:14   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksport View Post
Apart from the enthusiasts, I don't think anybody else was crying for a 1.6 MJD. And out of the minuscule population that makes up the enthusiasts, a sizable number would stay away citing "poor service". Fiat does not have the required potential numbers to set up a manufacturing line for the 1.6 MJD. If they import it, then price would go over the roof, and people would complain about not pricing it properly.

All in all, Fiat is fighting a losing battle here. Fiat does not have a brand value anymore. The earlier they kill the Fiat brand and start afresh as Chrysler, the better.
Well everyone has a right to his own opinion and I respect your's.

But having said that, if you think the the present 1.3MJD is competent for the big car like Linea, you may not be correct. Why do you think every other manufacturer has a 1.5L or 1.6L diesel engine in this segment, are all those (City, Verna,Vento to name a few) meant for the enthusiasts only. Fiat already has a winner (Tjet) in the petrol segment and the 1.6L engine in the Linea will give them another winner in the diesel segment. The bigger engine will also beautifully compliment the beautiful handling and the ride quality of the Linea.

BTW let me tell you every Fiat owner is an enthusist in his or her own way and if they are not then they turn into one after owning a Fiat car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksport View Post
It sounds like deja vu. When Fiat got into the alliance with tata we heard people saying the same thing. That finally we are going to have better service and sales would improve under the tata stable. Nothing of that sort happened. Sales increased momentarily after some new launch and then fell.

I do not understand why they should not start afresh. Like what GM did by killing Opel and starting new as Chevrolet. They are doing better now.

I agree with your last point. If fiat wants to be the volume player, they need an entry hatch. I am not sure if the panda fits the bill, but it would be an interesting one. Why not call it Chrysler Panda? We have space for new brands. Look at Datsun.
You're talking about a perception that has been proved to be a big mistake by the company. Yes I agree that Fiat has committed such big mistakes by entering into alliance with Premier first and then Tata, but that is a thing of the past. Almost every Fiat owner (in this forum and also in other Fiat forums) unanimously agree to the point that the service has improved in the last one year after parting with Tata, but still there is ample scope for improvement.

Introducing Chrysler brand in India is a business decision that can be taken only by the Fiat board, and they already have plans to introduce the Jeep brand.
Sommos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2014, 09:59   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
Well everyone has a right to his own opinion and I respect your's.

But having said that, if you think the the present 1.3MJD is competent for the big car like Linea, you may not be correct. Why do you think every other manufacturer has a 1.5L or 1.6L diesel engine in this segment, are all those (City, Verna,Vento to name a few) meant for the enthusiasts only. Fiat already has a winner (Tjet) in the petrol segment and the 1.6L engine in the Linea will give them another winner in the diesel segment. The bigger engine will also beautifully compliment the beautiful handling and the ride quality of the Linea.

BTW let me tell you every Fiat owner is an enthusist in his or her own way and if they are not then they turn into one after owning a Fiat car.

You're talking about a perception that has been proved to be a big mistake by the company. Yes I agree that Fiat has committed such big mistakes by entering into alliance with Premier first and then Tata, but that is a thing of the past. Almost every Fiat owner (in this forum and also in other Fiat forums) unanimously agree to the point that the service has improved in the last one year after parting with Tata, but still there is ample scope for improvement.

Introducing Chrysler brand in India is a business decision that can be taken only by the Fiat board, and they already have plans to introduce the Jeep brand.
I am not saying that 1.3 MJD is perfect in the Linea, just that it is not the engine because of which people are not buying Lineas. The Fiesta had a less powerful diesel engine, and it sold well.

Fiat sold 420 Lineas last month, 189 in Jan and 202 in Dec. Out of the 202, 69 were petrol. Even if you assume that all 69 were T-jets, it is nowhere near to be called a winner. T-jet or not, Fiat isn't selling. Introducing the 1.6MJD would probably say double the sales of the Linea. But that could hardly justify the additional investment for setting up local assembly of the engine.

I bought my first Fiat in 2003 against all kinds of advice from concerned friends and relatives. I never regretted the buy because the car was a gem. Everything else (service, resale etc) were bad. Every couple of years some story would come out on how Fiat is improving sales and service. They tied up with Tata, and at first people said that the service has improved, but it just turned out to be untrue. They relaunched Petra, Adventure Sport, MJD Diesel, then Linea and Punto, but sales remained dud. They launched Fiat caffes, launched Fiat 500, nobody even stopped to take a second look. So I am skeptical about Fiat this time too. Fiat brand has gone to the dogs. A few enthusiasts may be still looking up to Fiat for a miracle, but most of them, including me, has moved on.
Old 21st March 2014, 11:56   #114
BHPian

Just curious, what would be the next more expensive car that has as good/better ride & handling than the Linea ?

Last edited by avmaxfan : 21st March 2014 at 11:57.
Old 21st March 2014, 12:01   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avmaxfan View Post
Just curious, what would be the next more expensive car that has as good/better ride & handling than the Linea ?
1. Vento for sure - more expensive to maintain, but likely better resale value too
2. Skoda Rapid but dont trust service.
2. New Hyundai Verna is said to be good too, but yet to be verified
Old 21st March 2014, 12:03   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsurya View Post
1. Vento for sure - more expensive to maintain, but likely better resale value too
Are you serious ?
Old 21st March 2014, 13:54   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Look nowhere else. Chevy Cruze it is. The new face-lift which will be launched in 2015(probably) in India may have the Turbocharged petrol variants as well. But the current diesel model is absolutely fantastic to drive

Last edited by azhar915 : 21st March 2014 at 14:13. Reason: completed incomplete post
Old 21st March 2014, 14:29   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Good handling and ride quality is a forte of the European brands (generally).

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsurya View Post
Vento and Rapid are in the same segment as Linea and you may kindly go through the Verna review to know more about the car.

Maybe Skoda Octavia/Superb, VW Jetta/Passat are in that category.
Old 21st March 2014, 21:53   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashwin Morey View Post

Finally, OTR by Pandit Auto Pune is 10,20,000 for T-JET Emotion (top end in the new Lineas) and OTR by Fiat Caffe (Fiat owned) is 10,30,000 for the same model and same color.

When i probed with the SA of Fiat Caffe on why the difference, he said that dealers tend to hike or add some prices later on whereas what we have quoted is a price that doesn't have hidden costs. I asked him to give an example and he said that For e.g. we have included the handling charges and are providing Extended warranty for 7K. Checked the quote from Pandit auto and their quote includes both these components.

Not too sure if i can trust this new Fiat Caffe so i guess i will go ahead with Pandit Auto. Yes I am buying the new Fiat T-Jet for my existing one met with an untimely accident as some of you may be aware (I recently posted a thread on advice for my existing T-Jet).
I just Booked one today at Pune after cancelling ford classic booked last month. You Can get in touch with me for details. Tjet Emotion.
didn't consider to test drive it as the vehicle is going to be mostly Chauffeured for the use by wife. She i guess liked all the feature given and interior fit and finish.
jaswant is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2014, 22:36   #120
Senior - BHPian

I like the fact that the only cars that the Linea is being compared to are a segment if not 2 aboveit , the rapid is good but not as good as the Linea , the Vento i cannot comment on and the Verna no where close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
Good handling and ride quality is a forte of the European brands (generally).

Maybe Skoda Octavia/Superb, VW Jetta/Passat are in that category.

Most Viewed