Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2014, 10:22   #91
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Verna Fluidic SX 1.6L Diesel: The Street Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooltronics View Post
What a fantastic thread for Verna owners and prospects
You should showcase it to Hyundai and ask for royalty as your crisp description and mind blowing photos really helps give the exact picture and in-turn does marketing so well. I booked my Verna Diesel SX yesterday when I actually went to book i20 Asta. You lightened my pocket by few lacs but my heart is elated.

I drove the 2014 Verna couple of times and found the suspension good, it drove on bad roads well and almost all speed breakers were crossed without a doubt but still I could see bottom scrapping out on few speed breakers which were steep, with 3 people seated & not completely slowed down. Should that be expected ? Was it even worse before ?
Any tips and suggestions would be highly appreciated before I take my delivery in next 10 days.
Many Congratulations on your new purchase and thanks a lot
yeah things were even worse before,( you can read more about this in the first page under cons section)and now it has got better and not to extent to which you can blindly go over humps. if you drive fast on speed breakers, almost all cars do bottom out but this car has a little more tendency to do so like a rocking chair.My best advice to you is, avoid doing such things even for testing as you might end up crash landing and spending more than necessary for fixing such things.

Wishing you all the best. Drive safe. Happy motoring.
Cheers way to go buddy!!

Last edited by Amyth Prabhakar : 15th April 2014 at 10:27.
Old 16th April 2014, 19:23   #92
BHPian

I have a 20111 Verna VTVT SX (O) with about 33k on the odometer. I love everything about this car EXCEPT the softly used suspension which loses composure over bad roads & road humps. The fact that the roads in this great state of ours I frequent are plagued by bad roads has made me very twitchy while going over these bad stretches. My disenchantment with the Verna suspension increased multiple fold when I drove a friend's Linea.

Inspired by Amyth's experience of surgery to his car's suspension, I took my car over to a local dealership yesterday. The service advisor was sympathetic & checked with the warranty guys when I insisted about the existence of the TSB (I have extended warranty). He informed that there was indeed a TSB but it called for replacing only the rear coil springs & there was nothing about the front ones. I reluctantly agreed to getting the rear ones changed.

This morning I was informed that the suspension upgrade was done. I drove around a while & the rear seemed to be better than before. (Could be a placebo though).

However, when I looked over the invoice, I was surprised that the part number differed from that shown in Amyth's.

The part number for the Rear Coil Spring replaced on my car was 5533010V050. (See the picture attached).

Amyth's invoice shows that it's supposed to be for Rear Coil Springs is 553301V150 while for Front Coil Springs 546301V251.

I'm planning to take my car back again as the front suspension is as dicey as ever & I want to insist on getting the spring replaced for front as well as getting the correct springs on to the rear as well. I also want to ask them about the different part numbers for the rear.

Can anyone who got similar surgery done comment on what the part number for the new coil springs? Was a wrong part replaced on my car?
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Verna Fluidic SX 1.6L Diesel: The Street Hawk-verna_suspension_replacement.png  

Old 17th April 2014, 09:08   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amyth Prabhakar View Post
The TSB was released in 2013. Not sure exactly when. Obviously Hyundai would have dispatched the springs to all service centers post their notification. There is nothing there to be worried of. They cannot cheat you with old scrap springs because the post modification results can be easily felt.

No I did not check the manufacturing date. I was happy to see them in a sealed box and they opened it in front of me and showed them to me before replacing. All I know is that the new model uses these springs.
I am sure it will not be older than 8-9 months max and that should be fine.

If after replacement, if you witness a difference in the ride quality,
and feel that it has improved,then that should give you an indication that the springs are new and of 2014. By the way, they all come box packed as Hyundai Genuine Parts.you can ask the SA to show it to you before they proceed to make any changes.That's what I did and also have posted a picture of them still wrapped in sealed covers. Just check them out.
I have a HASS here. They did not have springs in stock. I had purchased two rear springs from Bhubaneswar through one of my friends & will install those tomorrow. Posting pictures & my doubts/apprehensions:

1. In the dark blue sticker, you can find packaging month of one is May-2013 & of the other is June-2013. So if these are stiffer, 2013 May/June model cars should have stiffer set ups. Why the stiffer set up has come in 2014?

2. What is more confusing is MRP of 05/13 spring is Rs 1486/- & of 06/13 is Rs 699/-. The parts numbers are different too- 55300- 1V050 & 55330- 1V150

3.I presume wrong sticker has been put in 05/13 pack , the narrations are different- spring-RR & Shock absorber assy-RR.

4. Sky blue stickers have different parts numbers too- 55330-1V050 & 55330-1V150 ( same as dark blue stickers ), but here in both stickers the narration is same ie. spring-RR.

5. Visually both the springs are same.

6. Invoice too has different parts number. Is it that right & left springs have different part numbers?

If you still have the photographs, please do me a favour and inform the month of packaging & parts number. After replacing the springs, if I do not get any benefit, then it would be a sheer waste of money. I can very well wait for few more months & try to get springs packaged in 2014.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Verna Fluidic SX 1.6L Diesel: The Street Hawk-img_20140417_070348930_hdr.jpg  

Hyundai Verna Fluidic SX 1.6L Diesel: The Street Hawk-img_20140417_070423549.jpg  

Hyundai Verna Fluidic SX 1.6L Diesel: The Street Hawk-img_20140417_070633793.jpg  

Old 17th April 2014, 15:13   #94
BHPian

Ok, it looks like that for the rear, coil springs with 2 different part numbers are being installed.

As I had mentioned in my earlier post, I too got the rear coil springs replaced under warranty. Mine were replaced with 55300- 1V050 unlike Amyth's 55300- 1V150

Looks like Chitta is gettign a hybrid of these two! Can any other forum members who had the coil springs replaced, look at their invoices & let us know which part number was used for them?

Chiita, I suggest that you wait a while to hear the correct story on the differing part numbers before getting these installed on your ride. If there's indeed a difference between these 2 parts, it would make sense to have same on both Left & Right sides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitta Pradhan View Post
I have a HASS here. They did not have springs in stock. I had purchased two rear springs from Bhubaneswar through one of my friends & will install those tomorrow. Posting pictures & my doubts/apprehensions:

1. In the dark blue sticker, you can find packaging month of one is May-2013 & of the other is June-2013. So if these are stiffer, 2013 May/June model cars should have stiffer set ups. Why the stiffer set up has come in 2014?

2. What is more confusing is MRP of 05/13 spring is Rs 1486/- & of 06/13 is Rs 699/-. The parts numbers are different too- 55300- 1V050 & 55330- 1V150

3.I presume wrong sticker has been put in 05/13 pack , the narrations are different- spring-RR & Shock absorber assy-RR.

4. Sky blue stickers have different parts numbers too- 55330-1V050 & 55330-1V150 ( same as dark blue stickers ), but here in both stickers the narration is same ie. spring-RR.

6. Invoice too has different parts number. Is it that right & left springs have different part numbers?

If you still have the photographs, please do me a favour and inform the month of packaging & parts number. After replacing the springs, if I do not get any benefit, then it would be a sheer waste of money. I can very well wait for few more months & try to get springs packaged in 2014.
Old 21st April 2014, 14:45   #95
BHPian

Quote:

Sorry guys i don't have any more close up photographs of those parts.
All i have is the bill which clearly shows the replaced items Numbers and their description.The front and rear springs have a description SPRING-FR and SPRING-RR respectively.( can be seen in the invoice i posted earlier) They look identical in size and shape and I am not sure if they are interchangeable. I dont know why you guys are getting into such a mess. If all the parts have such unique numbers, why are the service center people not replacing it with proper parts. Looks very mysterious to me. Have to talk to my SA and find out.

Last edited by Amyth Prabhakar : 21st April 2014 at 14:47.
Old 21st April 2014, 20:44   #96
BHPian

Quote:
All i have is the bill which clearly shows the replaced items Numbers and their description.The front and rear springs have a description SPRING-FR and SPRING-RR respectively.( can be seen in the invoice i posted earlier) They look identical in size and shape and I am not sure if they are interchangeable. I dont know why you guys are getting into such a mess. If all the parts have such unique numbers, why are the service center people not replacing it with proper parts. Looks very mysterious to me. Have to talk to my SA and find out.
I am going for spring assisters for all four springs from Auto Runner & replacement of rear springs only. Only change of rear springs is not making the suspension sufficiently stiff as experienced by some bhpians. Already procured four spring assisters today at Mumbai through one of my friends . Will get those in few days. Will share the experience after the up-gradation. I am thinking of installing the assisters on stock springs, and if it fail to do the job, I will change the rear springs only.

Thanks
Old 21st April 2014, 21:46   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am going for spring assisters for all four springs from Auto Runner & replacement of rear springs only. Only change of rear springs is not making the suspension sufficiently stiff as experienced by some bhpians. Already procured four spring assisters today at Mumbai through one of my friends . Will get those in few days. Will share the experience after the up-gradation. I am thinking of installing the assisters on stock springs, and if it fail to do the job, I will change the rear springs only.

Thanks
Aah! Does it mean you decided not to sell the Verna for now?
3rd Party fitments may cause other issues, I hope you have done your homework on side-effects of the assisters!
Old 21st April 2014, 22:33   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
Aah! Does it mean you decided not to sell the Verna for now?
3rd Party fitments may cause other issues, I hope you have done your homework on side-effects of the assisters!
Yes boss. After lots of research & no. of TDs, could not find convincing reasons to sell my Verna even though the resale price is 8.5 L. GTO is using assisters in his Civic and is happy about it. I have not spent much time on spring assisters, what could be the adverse effects in your opinion?
Old 22nd April 2014, 08:54   #99
BHPian

Got the scuff plates installed. Actually i wanted to have the illuminated ones.
but the service center had only two pieces and out of which one was malfunctioning and the other had a crack and i didn't want to spend on defective pieces. So i checked on the internet and found some but the logo looked different on them and decided to settle for the regular ones which are maintenance free.

Right front

Hyundai Verna Fluidic SX 1.6L Diesel: The Street Hawk-20140415_073242.jpg

Right rear

Hyundai Verna Fluidic SX 1.6L Diesel: The Street Hawk-20140415_073303.jpg

left rear

Hyundai Verna Fluidic SX 1.6L Diesel: The Street Hawk-20140415_073417.jpg

left Front

Hyundai Verna Fluidic SX 1.6L Diesel: The Street Hawk-20140415_073438.jpg

I also got a dummy SHARK-FIN ANTENNA fixed on the roof. Also i did not get rid of the existing antenna to preserve the originality of the car.

Hyundai Verna Fluidic SX 1.6L Diesel: The Street Hawk-20140419_083237.jpg

Hyundai Verna Fluidic SX 1.6L Diesel: The Street Hawk-20140419_083245.jpg

Hyundai Verna Fluidic SX 1.6L Diesel: The Street Hawk-20140419_083301.jpg

Hyundai Verna Fluidic SX 1.6L Diesel: The Street Hawk-20140419_084708.jpg

Hyundai Verna Fluidic SX 1.6L Diesel: The Street Hawk-20140419_084439.jpg
Old 22nd April 2014, 09:36   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes boss. After lots of research & no. of TDs, could not find convincing reasons to sell my Verna even though the resale price is 8.5 L. GTO is using assisters in his Civic and is happy about it. I have not spent much time on spring assisters, what could be the adverse effects in your opinion?
Some points to think about in going for 3rd Party Assisters:
1. First of all, fitting a 3rd Party Assister would surely void any warranty if it exists. Do they have an Assister variant specific to Verna or is it a Generic one? If it is generic one then you are doing an approximation.
2. The springs that Hyundai provides would have undergone thorough R&D and multiple rounds of testing which reduces any risk to a great extent.
3. The side-effects could include faster wear out of tyres by some percentage and could have an impact on the braking distance.
4. Any impact on the suspension could also potentially impact ABS and the way it works.

To avoid the risk of the above, my recommendation would be to go for Hyundai genuine fitments.

Quote:
Got the scuff plates installed. Actually i wanted to have the illuminated ones.
but the service center had only two pieces and out of which one was malfunctioning and the other had a crack and i didn't want to spend on defective pieces.
Looks Good

Quote:
I also got a dummy SHARK-FIN ANTENNA fixed on the roof. Also i did not get rid of the existing antenna to preserve the originality of the car.
When you say dummy, is it only cosmetic and does not work?
I think you can get the wiring done if it is not too complex and do away with the original fitment.
Old 22nd April 2014, 11:11   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post

Looks Good

When you say dummy, is it only cosmetic and does not work?
I think you can get the wiring done if it is not too complex and do away with the original fitment.
This does not have AM/FM receptors in it. Its only a show piece to enhance the looks. I also found some functional Shark-fins in the outside market which were of Audi style. They were short and look good on hatch backs.So just went with this dummy non-functional fake BMW-accessories.

Throwing away the original antenna didn't look like a good idea to me because that is the one which does the actual job.Although i have removed that now,
i didn't notice any dip in the quality of the reception inside city.

Wiring is not that too difficult. I saw it on one of those DIY series.
We just have to connect the existing wires to them and that's it.
Old 23rd April 2014, 18:45   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Amyth,

Did the replacement with OEM springs as per TSB improve the ride quality ?
Old 23rd April 2014, 20:59   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A Re-Birth:My Fluidic Verna rolls out fresh with new suspensions and improved stability:
Amyth, can you post the last 6 digits of your car's VIN, and the date of manufacture? My car's # is 115639, and is a Feb 2013 manufactured car.

Is it possible for you to take a sneak of the TSB (a photo, TSB # and date, anything) when you visit them next? The only TSB I saw in the service centers here is the one you had posted here.

I'm asking these because the newer springs are apparently installed from factory for VINs that read 111111 and higher - at least that is as much as I have been able to extract from the Hyundai folks here.

I'm actually toying with something like this - let's see. Will wait to hear from you before I put my money in some mod or other to fix the boat

Edit: Someone was asking for the part numbers of the springs -
Front: 54630-1V251
Rear: 55330-1V150

I was also verbally told that the old and the new parts may not have different part numbers.

Last edited by ph03n!x : 23rd April 2014 at 21:11.
ph03n!x is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2014, 10:17   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
Hi Amyth,

Did the replacement with OEM springs as per TSB improve the ride quality ?
yeah. Please go through page 4 of the same thread.
Amyth Prabhakar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2014, 10:31   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Seeing is believing. If you still have doubts go and check them out in any new 2014 Verna. You should be able to see the AIRBAG embossing on the sides. Check the area near and above the seat belts. That should give you a clear picture of whether it is still retained or removed.

SX(O) is top end model and should come equipped with six air bags as per the latest 2014 specification sheet and price difference.
The current SX(O) comes with just 2 airbags, the same as SX. The only differences are leather seats, push button start and projector headlamps. Apparently Hyundai feels that projectors are more important than airbags

Last edited by Jaguar : 24th April 2014 at 10:33.
Jaguar is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks