Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2006, 12:32   #16

SRV Prices

Quote:
So what are the prices for the diffretn variants?
The low end (14 inch wheels and no Stereo) was at 8.2 and the top end (15 inch) was 8.7 on road in Bangalore..
Old 14th July 2006, 12:49   #17

Quote:
Good review..

How is the rear legroom / comfort compared to the normal optra ?

Is the rear seat pushed back to improve leg room , as there is no boot anyway?

are there AC vents for rear passengers?

what is the OTR price of base version in blr?
The SRV has the same wheelbase (2600mm) as Optra and hence there is no difference in the legroom and seating comfort. And I do not remember noticing any AC vents specially for the rear seat pax.

The OTR (BLR) for the base version, I guess is 8.2 - but on 195/60 R15 alloy wheels with Alpine DIN and driver seat Airbag, the higher end model at 50K is what I would recommend.
Old 14th July 2006, 12:52   #18
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The SRV is "sporty" enough for the posers. For real power hungry enthusiasts, there is always the potential of a modded OHC / Baleno in this price rance.

I am not impressed at all with the SRV, and dont really see anything "sporty" about it. But I must say...they have marketed it well. A woman I know asked whether the new "sports car" from Chevy is worth buying.

GTO
Old 14th July 2006, 13:04   #19

Quote:
The SRV is "sporty" enough for the posers. For real power hungry enthusiasts, there is always the potential of a modded OHC / Baleno in this price rance.
I do not disagree with the capability of Baleno - as I love it every time I get behind it and get a free stretch of road in Bangalore.. even after test driving CIVIC - which I decided to buy finally - ahead of Octy and SRV

I will drive Baleno as long as my wife lets me to keep it, by the side of Civic
Old 14th July 2006, 17:29   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mani Srinivasan
I do not disagree with the capability of Baleno - as I love it every time I get behind it and get a free stretch of road in Bangalore.. even after test driving CIVIC - which I decided to buy finally - ahead of Octy and SRV

I will drive Baleno as long as my wife lets me to keep it, by the side of Civic
baleno for power
civic for chic..hmmmm
some people are just lucky
Old 14th July 2006, 19:54   #21

Quote:
baleno for power
civic for chic..hmmmm
some people are just lucky
Mann... he is talking only about Balenos and Civics.. Not about Ferraris and Veyrons..

Does anyone know the weight and the gear ratios for the SRV?
Old 15th July 2006, 00:25   #22
BHPian

would love to see some pics of the SRV.
Old 15th July 2006, 00:43   #23
Senior - BHPian

Saw a blue top model yesterday. The interior though it looks good does not look as plush as the Optra .. guess its because this one had a predominantly grey shade ..
Otherwise the car does look hot ..
Dealers are really pushing for test drives ..
Top end is 8.2 in Kolkata .. it does belong to a segment of it's own. Maybe they'll have a high end sports version of the Grande Punto at this price range someday. But yes, at 8.2 , a 120+ BHP hatch would have had more appeal.
Old 3rd August 2006, 10:41   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by islero
So what are the prices for the diffretn variants?
it is more expensive than the City Vtec or CVT! Someone told me that On the Road in Mumbai it would come to about 9-10L. there are 2 models. one has 14" wheels while the other has 15" wheels and a driver side airbag.

faults:
a) a bit underpowered maybe if they introduced the 1.8 version
b) notchy long throw gear shift like all Optras and the clutch on my Octy is nicer.
c) no Auto climate control (ACC) option (the Optra 1.8 has it so why not) which would probably be introduced if they ever bought out a 1.8 version.
d) more expensive than the Optra 1.6 VGIS sedan!!!!

I test drove one yesterday (very short drive) and my Octy feels better to the SRV-PLUS version. Then my Octy costs more so I can undertand this.

Chevy should get a 1.8 version with ACC at the current price (10L OTR MUMBAI) and drop the 1.6 VGIS below that of the VGIS sedan. Cant do much about the gear box though.

Last edited by navin : 3rd August 2006 at 10:44.
Old 3rd August 2006, 12:01   #25
Senior - BHPian

Drove one, and I am sorry to say (as I generally do not speak in favour of my machines) that my Ikon 1.6 drives and handles in a much more spirited manner. Sad that the model is dead, although Ford could have easily repositioned it alongside the Palio scorcher.
Old 3rd August 2006, 12:19   #26
BHPian

Guys dont worry Chevy will surely launch a 1.8 version of the Optra SRV sooner or later with ABS.
Old 3rd August 2006, 12:19   #27
BHPian

HI,
last week a friend of mine went for a test drive for SRV in hyderabad.
it was raining a bit and he was doing 90-100Kmph and the car sliped and banged the divider...

both the right tyers bursted and the Alloys cracked...
the Airbag opened,
the right doors are smashed...

thank god he and the sales guy had the seatbelts onn.

dont have the pics now but he had taken them...
will try to get them...
Old 4th August 2006, 11:20   #28
Senior - BHPian

took a test drive yesterday. The GM sales guy got the car to my office in ITPL. Went on the Whitefield road which was relatively traffic free at lunchtime. here are my observations:

1. Looks- rear is brilliant- the front not so. I feet a variation of the optra front end (maybe with a honeycomb grille) would have worked much better.

2. Interiors- PATHETIC! The plastics are hard and shiny and look like they came from the same supplier who supplies to tata for their indicas. They have tried to inject some pizzaz into teh interiors with faux aluminium strips, but it soesnt work. The interiors of teh Optra and teh aveo are far better.

3. the driving position is a bit akward- U sit low but the dashboard sill is high- so it feels a little uncomfortable at first. But with a height adjustible seat, it should be rectifiable. the seats themselves are quite good thoug.

4. The drive- teh engine is pretty smooth upto 3K rpm. but cross that and there is a distinct booming sound - this car does not like to be revved- sad considering GM is positioning the SRV as a sporty car. Also teh suspension is too soft for a car with sporting pretensions.

Also, the car just does not seem to have over a 100 horses- By a seat of teh pants feel, I would say that this car feels no faster than a Hyundai Accent 1.5. I find this a bit strange because it is not as if the car is very heavy! On paper specs are pretty similar to teh Petra 1.6- 100 BHP , 14 KGM of torque and similar weight. But drive the petra and the SRV back to back and u would never imagine that the paper soecs are so closely matched!

Overall, I would say that the car is a disappointment and at 8.7 L OTR bangalore, definitely not VFM- A fiesta 1.6 sxi is a far better buy!
Old 4th August 2006, 12:06   #29
Team-BHP Support

I took a second longer test drive yestreday from Bharti (on the Highway).

a) the interiors are ugh. Damn they should have learnt from the Aveo!
b) like himanshu said, above 3000 rpm the engine got rougher

as it stands the SRV is
a) too expensive for what it does
b) no pocket rocket - the NHC Vtec is faster and has about the same size.

If only we had a (small) car that drove like the Fiesta, was appointed like the Aveo and was backed by Arya-Honda service!

GM would have to drop it's price by 20-25% OR up it's engine and appoint it like it does the Aveo and Optra 1.8 LT to interest me!

Last edited by navin : 4th August 2006 at 12:13.
Old 5th August 2006, 13:25   #30
Team-BHP Support

1. I said size not space. The SRV has a bit more space inside than the NHC.
2. Yes After driving the Aveo (also a GM car) I drove the SRV and hence wonder why/how they sell a cheaper car (Aveo) with better interiors.
3. Also the SRV is positioned as a top notch sports car. They should have offreed it with the 1.8 engine and ACC (as in the Optra LT).

Maybe after seeing the Optra LT and Aveo I set my sights too high. Still comparing the SRV with other cars in it's (9-10L) price range (Optra, NHC, Elantra, etc...) I cant help wondiering who their target audience is - someone who wants a bigger Palio GTX and is wiling to pay 4L more for that privilege?

Usually when a auto manufacturer makes a "hot hatch" they have to make the hatch "really hot" to sell. I am a bit disappointed as GM has the components to make this a really hot hatch and missed the opportunity. Still it is not to late. They might introduce a 1.8-ACC version later.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks