Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2014, 15:54   #31
BHPian

Re: 2014 Honda City SV CVT Automatic - My White Unicorn

I just got CQUARTZ (nanotechnology) treatment done on my car. It is a premium paint protection offering from CarPro: http://www.cquartz.info/103-cquartz and I'm glad I went for it. I can actually feel the smoothness on the exterior surface. Now, I just wipe my car on exterior with Jopasu Duster (takes 5-10 minutes) everyday and once a week plan to do wash with Ultima Waterless Wash.

Details of the treatment done on my White Unicorn captured here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/bangal...ml#post3403249

Some pictures of my Unicorn post treatment (pictures may not do justice here) :
2014 Honda City SV CVT Automatic - My White Unicorn-20140329_092732.jpg

2014 Honda City SV CVT Automatic - My White Unicorn-car1.jpg

2014 Honda City SV CVT Automatic - My White Unicorn-ud1.jpg

2014 Honda City SV CVT Automatic - My White Unicorn-ud2.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Congratulations on the car. Nice pics of your car and your daughter. She seems very sweet too.It was a good idea on your part not to put chinese alloys on your car.Aftermarket alloys can cause wheel bearings to wear out faster if the wheels are not upto manafacturer specs. With Neo's the specs for the wheels like PCD would be at par with manufacturer's specifications.

Wishing you thousands of happy motoring miles.
Thanks a lot. Thanks to Nikhil here to help me go for the Neo Alloys. Captured a snapshot here from their brochure. It might be a bit biased but posting for reference:

2014 Honda City SV CVT Automatic - My White Unicorn-20140322_174737.jpg

Also, there were some questions on brake pedal and yes, it is wider than what is given on the manual petrol/diesel variants. The accessory page also shows the difference (just look at sports pedal for AT and Manual).
2014 Honda City SV CVT Automatic - My White Unicorn-pedal.jpg
neel911 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st April 2014, 16:09   #32
BHPian

Congratulations on the purchase of your new car. The tyres and alloys look excellent.
I too intend to go in for a CVT version. What i would like to know is how does the car feel and perform on the highway. Do you feel the rubber band effect when accelerating?.
Have you calculated the mileage within and out of the city?.
Old 1st April 2014, 16:18   #33
BHPian

The car looks great after the treatment!
Is there any such service available in Bombay? Would love to go in for this!
Old 1st April 2014, 16:35   #34
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel911 View Post
Thanks a lot. Thanks to Nikhil here to help me go for the Neo Alloys.
The car looks beautiful with the Neo alloys, simple design that uplifts the image it projects.

Doesn't harm the design of the car and blends well and feels like OEM alloys. Nice pick buddy!

Anurag.
Old 1st April 2014, 16:39   #35
Senior - BHPian

@Neel- Read the complete details. Does looks great. How much did it cost you for the full treatment.

Do we have anything like this in Delhi region?
Old 1st April 2014, 18:45   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
You can visit Steam and Shine or Retro Raps or 3M. I'm given to understand that 3M in Gurgaon is fairly good. Please refer this thread for reference. Happy motoring!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/delhi-...e-gurgaon.html

@ Neel: Many congratulations on your new ride. The only factor which dissuaded me from not going for the City CVT was that the AT wasn't available in diesel and I needed an oil burner given my daily running! Wish you many more happy and safe miles!
Old 2nd April 2014, 09:59   #37
BHPian

I've completed close to 350 kms now and few updates from my side:

- In city (Bangalore traffic) , I'm getting a FE for 9.5 currently. I'm still tuning myself to CVT engine so expecting it to go up. I still haven't been able to do much of highway driving so FE numbers for that are pending.

- I believe the CVT engine is tuning itself as well. Now even in 'D + Econ' mode, I'm able to drive comfortably in the city. I've almost stopped pressing the pedal hard as my Unicorn hates when I do so specially in this mode. I just press it gradually and it responds pretty well now

- The car is super smooth and silent. Folks around can hardly make out the arrival of the Unicorn

- I see minor scratches on the Piano Black dash and also on the 3.5" display in spite of taking care of it while cleaning. I'm planning to attach a screen protector from Gadget Shieldz today in the 3.5" display (I had one lying around for my phablet which I'll cut and attach). Will post the experience soon. I really need to do something about the entire piano black dashboard however

- Mid-Lower back support on driver seat is amazing. I do have good quality art leather seats which is adding to padding as well when I sit. I hardly experience pain while driving now unlike the constant pain while driving my i20

- Speakers are totally average on SV variant. I've somehow managed to live with it for now by playing with the Bass/Treble levels.

- I find the Horn a bit hard. I normally have to move my hand/fingers to press it.

- The 3M Nomad mats are amazing and its been so easy to keep the car clean now. My wife would always remove her chappals as she would get carpet like feeling

- One thing I've noticed in CVT is some vibration when moving from D to N at very low speeds. So let's say you are waiting at a signal. The car in front of you moves a little ahead. My car is in 'N' gear. I move it to 'D' gear by pushing it down (D <-> N can be moved without pressing the switch on gear handle). My car moves forward very slowly and then I move it to 'N' gear again and let car slow on its own. Here, when I make that shift from D -> N, I notice some vibration in CVT engine. I'm not sure if this is how it works. I would want other CVT owners to post their experience.

- When rolling the Driver's window up, When it goes all the way up, I notice some pull in the window panel and vibration. Do not notice this on front passenger's side window. I'll be showing this during my 1K service.

- Bluetooth Phone system is not great. Folks at the other end cannot hear me clearly unless I speak at high pitch and they also complain of hearing some echo. I believe the MIC is on the 3.5" console which is a bit far from the driver's face so may be expected. I have moved back to my Jabra Bluetooth Hands Free system for my phone calls

- I've had people sitting on the rear middle seat and have so far heard no complaints with respect to comfort/hump there.

- The AC is very powerful. However, when it's really hot, I turn off the ECO mode and I find the cooling faster.

- The USB seems to detect only FAT file system. I was having problems with NTFS format.

- Visibility was an issue on front and rear but with sensors on rear and a little bit of experience with Unicorn, I can successfully maneuver it through traffic.

- Brakes are powerful. One thing what I have been noticing since few days is (again I'm not sure if its because I'm consciously trying to pay extra attention to small things) that when the road is not leveled (either included towards right or left) , I see the steering moving in the direction of inclination and this effect is much more pronounced when I brake. I somehow do not remember experiencing this on my i10

Overall the car is giving a very premium feeling and my family is loving every bit of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpshah68 View Post
Congratulations on the purchase of your new car. The tyres and alloys look excellent.
I too intend to go in for a CVT version. What i would like to know is how does the car feel and perform on the highway. Do you feel the rubber band effect when accelerating?.
Have you calculated the mileage within and out of the city?.
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
The car looks beautiful with the Neo alloys, simple design that uplifts the image it projects.

Doesn't harm the design of the car and blends well and feels like OEM alloys. Nice pick buddy!

Anurag.
Thanks for the compliments. I'm glad I went for these Neo Alloys. Maintenance wise also it is very easy as it has only 5 spokes and it does give a classy feel. I've driven very limited on highway and I hardly felt the rubber band effect as I had put the car in 'S' mode. It takes 3-4 days to understand how the engine behaves and you would in most cases avoid the rubber band effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yash1229 View Post
The car looks great after the treatment!
Is there any such service available in Bombay? Would love to go in for this!
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
@Neel- Read the complete details. Does looks great. How much did it cost you for the full treatment.

The last time when I checked with Mohsin of Ultimate Detailerz, he wasn't aware of any such service outside Bangalore. People do however come to him for training so just call him and he would be able to give pointers if there are any.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigH View Post
You can visit Steam and Shine or Retro Raps or 3M. I'm given to understand that 3M in Gurgaon is fairly good. Please refer this thread for reference. Happy motoring!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/delhi-...e-gurgaon.html

@ Neel: Many congratulations on your new ride. The only factor which dissuaded me from not going for the City CVT was that the AT wasn't available in diesel and I needed an oil burner given my daily running! Wish you many more happy and safe miles!
The 3M paint protection is different than the CQuartz one. The 3M will probably last maybe 4-5 months (6 at max) and the CQuartz will go for about a year if you maintain certain cleaning techniques. Even the after treatment maintenance, I believe is easier once the çquartz treatment is done.
neel911 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2014, 11:05   #38
BHPian

Thanks Neel. Very informative thread on the CVT!!

One question: You said in your opening post that in S mode, rpm touches 3000rpm before going to next gear ratio. I think in the official review, it was said that in S mode the engine redlines before going to the next gear ratio. Can you confirm when shifts happen in S mode? Does the SV variant behave differently than the VX variant??
Old 2nd April 2014, 12:01   #39
Senior - BHPian

Congrats!!

Excellent choice and upgrades! Drive safe!!
Old 2nd April 2014, 12:13   #40
BHPian

Quote:
The 3M paint protection is different than the CQuartz one. The 3M will probably last maybe 4-5 months (6 at max) and the CQuartz will go for about a year if you maintain certain cleaning techniques. Even the after treatment maintenance, I believe is easier once the çquartz treatment is done.
Would you please share more details on the differentiating factors and the maintenance techniques? Will be helpful to newbies like me.
Old 2nd April 2014, 14:24   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamishra View Post
Thanks Neel. Very informative thread on the CVT!!

One question: You said in your opening post that in S mode, rpm touches 3000rpm before going to next gear ratio. I think in the official review, it was said that in S mode the engine redlines before going to the next gear ratio. Can you confirm when shifts happen in S mode? Does the SV variant behave differently than the VX variant??
What I meant was that in S mode, the rpm easily touches 3000 before moving to next gear ratio.

However, I believe it works a little bit different in VX which has paddle shifters. Once you engage in S mode and start using paddle shifters, it maintains that gear ratio till you change manually using paddle shifter or till it probably touches red line. I'll let VX CVT owners confirm this though. On SV however, they are no paddle shifters so you cannot have control over the gear ratio shifts. The only thing is that if you push your pedal really hard, it might stay in that ratio for a longer time but it may not be till like red line which is at 7000rpm

EDIT: Check this link which points out to the way VX CVT probably works: http://asia.vtec.net/Reviews/3GCity1Drive/
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigH View Post
Would you please share more details on the differentiating factors and the maintenance techniques? Will be helpful to newbies like me.
Once coating is applied, the surface does not let anything stick to it easily including water. So now I just remove dust everyday using Jopasu duster and on weekend use Ultima Waterless Wash to clean car. I plan to shampoo (proper bucket water wash) only when it gets really dirty (mainly during rainy season).

Last edited by neel911 : 2nd April 2014 at 14:35.
neel911 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2014, 10:34   #42
BHPian

Yesterday I managed to add protection to the 3.5" Audio Screen. It was part of DIY.

I had an extra screen protector from Gadget Shieldz (http://www.gadgetshieldz.in/) lying around for my Galaxy Note 2. If folks are aware of the Galaxy Note 2 size, it's much bigger than the 3.5" screen that Honda gives

So my mission to protect the 3.5" screen starts (This is the entire glass like screen for console, area around the actual display as well which includes Bluetooth sign/logo)
2014 Honda City SV CVT Automatic - My White Unicorn-pic3-copy.jpeg

DIY tools in picture. The area to protect is about 5.5cm by 11.5 cm. The Note2 screen is cut and all ready to be applied. I used the graph paper after such a long time, mainly to align the edges
2014 Honda City SV CVT Automatic - My White Unicorn-pic1.jpeg

Glass cleaner and MF cloth to clean the screen first. The soap solution is ready in tumbler (2-3 drops of baby shampoo mixed with water)
2014 Honda City SV CVT Automatic - My White Unicorn-pic2.jpeg

I first gently remove dust particles from the 3.5" screen using Jopasu duster. Then I remove all fingerprints and other marks on screen using MF cloth and glass cleaner. I soak the screen protector in soap solution and apply on screen.

Because of this application process, you hardly end up with any air bubbles. Then I just leave it overnight and in morning, its all in place and very difficult to notice it as well. Feel is very smooth as well.

Some pictures of 3.5" console post application:
2014 Honda City SV CVT Automatic - My White Unicorn-pic3.jpeg
2014 Honda City SV CVT Automatic - My White Unicorn-pic4.jpeg
2014 Honda City SV CVT Automatic - My White Unicorn-pic5.jpeg

My next mission is to protect the AC panel. I ordered similar screen protector for a tablet which I'll cut and attach to AC panel. I'll post pictured of that once that mission is accomplished. I'll also have enough left post the cut out to take care of the right most part of piano black console (area above the ORVM control)

The main piano black console is something I need to figure out how to protect.

Last edited by neel911 : 3rd April 2014 at 10:41.
neel911 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2014, 10:39   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yesterday I managed to add protection to the 3.5" Audio Screen. It was part of DIY.
The main piano black console is something I need to figure out how to protect.
Looks good - but I guess this is the easier part. Adding some kind of screen guard to the piano black would be tough due to the curves etc.

The AC Panel would also be tougher than the Audio Panel since the edges are not straight. I wish someone decides to make these accessories which we can buy and apply ready to use
Old 3rd April 2014, 10:45   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
Looks good - but I guess this is the easier part. Adding some kind of screen guard to the piano black would be tough due to the curves etc.

The AC Panel would also be tougher than the Audio Panel since the edges are not straight. I wish someone decides to make these accessories which we can buy and apply ready to use
That's the good part about these gadget shield protectors. It can easily be applied on curved areas. I have one on my iPad back body which has curves and it fits perfectly fine on curves. The AC unit should not be difficult I guess but the main piano black finish is going to be an effort (even the small area on right side above ORVM).

Honda should have had it as part of accessory list
Old 3rd April 2014, 12:37   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I've completed close to 350 kms now and few updates from my side:

- One thing I've noticed in CVT is some vibration when moving from D to N at very low speeds. So let's say you are waiting at a signal. The car in front of you moves a little ahead. My car is in 'N' gear. I move it to 'D' gear by pushing it down (D <-> N can be moved without pressing the switch on gear handle). My car moves forward very slowly and then I move it to 'N' gear again and let car slow on its own. Here, when I make that shift from D -> N, I notice some vibration in CVT engine. I'm not sure if this is how it works. I would want other CVT owners to post their experience.
Slightly OT.
I would suggest not to move the gear lever between 'N' and 'D' for short stops like B2B traffic, signals etc. There is no harm in doing that, but there is no specific advantage as well.

Enjoy the convenience of AT, by completely forgetting about gear changes as much as possible

Most Viewed