Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2014, 09:30   #106
BHPian

Re: 2014 Honda City SV CVT Automatic - My White Unicorn

Sorry folks. I’ve been a bit busy on lot of other things so haven’t been able to add to this thread much.

My White Unicorn completed around 2.8KM and here is update from my side :

What I like
- Car is a gem. With each day going, I’m just loving my Unicorn more and more
- Looks, Looks and Looks. The front grill looks has grown on me and now I just love the elegance of my Unicorn.
- The engine is very powerful. It seems to have smoothened over time and just love driving in ’S’ mode
- No major issues faced till now (details below). Very reliable so far
- Ergonomics inside cabin is really good and I find my back well supported (more details below)
- Ground clearance in amazing. So far it has not scraped the bottom in the worst ever potholes in Bangalore. (Tyres are 195/60 P3ST)
- Though there is no Hill Hold function on CVT, there will still be a normal push in D/S mode so it works like Hill Hold to a certain extent on roads with normal slopes (Bangalore is full of them). This is a real boon. My wife finds it much easier to drive over the manual i10 I had
- The sheer pleasure of driving an Automatic car

What I do not like:
- Variance in FE seems drastic
- On a fully loaded car, I see myself driving in S mode more during roads full of slopes
- Engine is a bit noisier in initial gear ratios and is more prominent on a fully loaded car
- ECON mode leads to a very sluggish performance specially at lower gear ratios
- Frequent gas station visits
- Finding it difficult to maintain white car (I only clean my car)
- The Audio Unit at times gives a feeling of semi after market installation. There is lot of open space and somehow they could have better utilised the same.

Other details:

Fuel Efficiency:
Here I would want to put the same into 3 buckets (Always driven in D mode and NO ECON):
- Pure city driving (0-40kmph max) in thick traffic: 7-8kmpl
- City driving in moderate conditions (traffic and some open patches): 10-11kmpl
- Highway driving (with cruise control): 18-19kmpl

I was expecting the FE to be minimum at 9-10kmpl but the sheer pleasure of driving an Automatic in Bangalore traffic makes you forget that.

Service:
I gave my car for service (3 months service) this time to Magnum in Yeshwantpur. They charge about 400 bucks for pickup and drop. Car was delivered back in time and came with free car wash. One thing I however noticed is that, the bonnet and roof developed some uneven surface when you move your fingers. As you are aware, I had got the premium CQuartz treatment done on my ca so this was not expectedr. I took it to Mohsin from Ultimate Detailerz and I was shocked to know paint particles on my car. It seems that some other car might have been getting painted next to my car which lead to this. This is something I plan to bring to their notice soon. This is just not acceptable. The same was removed with light claying.

Issues/Accidents:
- One of the scooter banged on rear and broke the left rear lights(not part of boot). Luckily there was no other damage. I directly took to Magnum Honda and too my surprise, they didn’t have the part for left side. They assured me that the same would be available next day. A visit again the next day and the same was replaced and I was charged some 1700 bucks including labour.
- While using the tyre pressure gauge, somehow it fused the car charger port. I had to again visit Magnum Honda to get same replaced. I was charged somewhere around 100+ for the same. I asked for an extra one and they denied. Has someone sourced the same from outside market? It’ll be good to keep 1-2 during emergency.
- Some light hissing sound was coming from one of the windows when rolling up. This was taken care during service and was due to some dust particle getting inside.

I got a chance to spend some time at Service Centre and some thoughts below. Overall not much satisfied and not even close to the way Hyundai service centre operates (at least the one I used to go)
- Long waiting times before they attend to you. Both times I had to wait about 10-15 minutes before SA came. At Hyundai it used to be 2-3 minutes. Maybe they want us to relax in lounge and enjoy the TV entertainment
- Long waiting time to generate bill. I somehow found them understaffed and they were multitasking the jobs and adding to unnecessary delay
- The section where they paint cars did not seem that isolated with the section where cars are serviced
- Didn’t get feeling of being in Honda workshop (maybe had high expectations). Hyundais are much better

D/S Mode
- These days, whenever I see an open stretch, I put my car in ’S’ mode and love the power my Unicorn can unleash
- On a fully loaded car (had 6 at a time), D mode at times feel a bit underpowered, more on uphill kind roads which Bangalore is famous for
- I’m not missing the paddle shifters and the engine does a really good work in shifting at the right time in S mode

Ergonomics:
- People sitting on the back love the oodles of space that Honda has given (Even squeezing 4 wasn’t difficult)
- On driver’s seat, once I sit, I push myself from lower back and it gives me pretty good support on my mid/lower back. I do have Art Leather seat cover which adds to the padding. Also, having Automatic also reduces the left foot movement to Nil which helps in keeping back ache away.

Update on the Honda Genuine/After market accessories :

Tyres:
The Michelin P3ST are just superb. It holds the road so well even at high speeds. Even in rains, I feel much more comfortable handing the unicorn. One thing I wanted to point out though is that as the tyres are wider than OEM, they stick out marginally from body. Due to this, inspite of having mud guards, it easily spoils the lower part of your door during rainy days with the dirty water getting splashed from tyres. I got puncture twice right in middle but no damage to car. Where I work, lot of construction goes and this is somehow normal

Alloys:
The Neo Alloys I’ve put are just superb. I’ve got a lot of good comments on the way the car looks with these alloys. Even cleaning the same is very easy.

Illuminated Scuff Plates (Honda Genuine):
They work as expected and add to the beauty of my unicorn. However, I noticed that they get scratches easily (specially the aluminium part). As part of DIY, I’ve covered all the 4 scuff plates with Gadget Shieldz protector.

Sports Pedal(Honda Genuine):
It has been working really well. Apart form aesthetics, it adds a good grip when your feet are on them.

3M Nomad Mats:
After spending a bomb here, I’m glad I went for them over the 3D mats. I’ve got the beige ones and they look really good on Honda (pictures do not do justice). It has been raining quite a lot these days and when you enter the car, the sole of your shoes would be wet and the mat takes all of it (including dirt) inside. It’s been 4 months and they are as it is and gives a nice carpet like feeling. Once in every 2 weeks, I just remove them and lightly shake to remove the dust particles.

Art Leather Seat Cover:
Covered briefly in Ergonomics section and they are as it is and very easy to clean.

CQuartz Paint Protection:
Again, I'm glad I went for this. It's still holding pretty well. More details here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3480134

New Accessory bought:
On weekdays, the car is driven by my wife primarily. There was an instance where there was a puncture but she couldn’t notice it until pressure dropped to 10psi. Luckily it did not damage the tyre. She wasn’t able to make out easily due to tubeless tyres. To avoid damage in future, I got the following: http://www.ebay.in/itm/4x-Brass-Car-...f3b893a&_uhb=1 (this one is for 34 but got 32 one)

For price I paid (around 500 bucks for set of 4), they are super value for money and give a quick indication on pressure levels.

Some pictures here:
2014 Honda City SV CVT Automatic - My White Unicorn-20140710-11.15.11.jpg

2014 Honda City SV CVT Automatic - My White Unicorn-20140611-19.29.07.jpg

Last edited by neel911 : 18th July 2014 at 09:31.
neel911 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 12th August 2014, 21:56   #107
BANNED

Hi BHPians,

Hope all of you guys are having a blast..

I have been running from pillar to post in Thiruvananthapuram trying to get 3M Nomad mats for my new City. No one has them... can anyone help me out.

One more thing.. I bought a Sony Touchscreen DVD player with 7 inch display but the same is yet to be fitted after more than two months from purchase as no one seems to have the spacer panel. I would be grateful if other City owners can throw some light on where I can buy one.
Old 13th August 2014, 09:25   #108
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel911 View Post
So after protecting the 3.5" screen, I just completed my next project of protecting the AC panel.

I somehow thought that AC panel was scratch resistant but when I looked closely under light, I noticed fine scratches.

I ordered a scratch guard from Gadget Shieldz for Samsung Note 10.1" Tablet. The front will be used to protect the AC panel. The rear protector will be used for DIY of the piano black panel around the ORVM button. I still have to find a large screen protector similar to this material for main piano black panel in center.

Attachment 1227718
Fantastic idea. While i was planning something similarfor my Verna auto gear box panel to avoid scratches, i just remembered that these scratch guards usually comes out when the temperature gets hot. Did you run through something like that? If this one doesn't really come out, can you help me order a similar product?
Name:  gearbiox.png
Views: 5008
Size:  514.0 KB

Last edited by santhosh_lv : 13th August 2014 at 09:26.
Old 13th August 2014, 09:31   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santhosh_lv View Post
Fantastic idea. While i was planning something similarfor my Verna auto gear box panel to avoid scratches, i just remembered that these scratch guards usually comes out when the temperature gets hot. Did you run through something like that? If this one doesn't really come out, can you help me order a similar product?
Attachment 1273756
This is a very different material and believe me it'll stay as it is till you want it to be out. I was using this on my cell phones and they would last forever.

you can visit http://www.gadgetshieldz.in/ to order the same. Select on of the Samsung 10.1 tablets to get a big screen guard and then cut the same based on your requirements.

Search online for coupons. They usually have 20-25% off coupon.

I swear by their quality and ease of application (due to soap solution).
neel911 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2014, 10:43   #110
BHPian

Quote:
This is a very different material and believe me it'll stay as it is till you want it to be out. I was using this on my cell phones and they would last forever.

you can visit http://www.gadgetshieldz.in/ to order the same. Select on of the Samsung 10.1 tablets to get a big screen guard and then cut the same based on your requirements.

Search online for coupons. They usually have 20-25% off coupon.

I swear by their quality and ease of application (due to soap solution).
One thing I wanted to add though is that over 2-3 years, it might develop a mild yellow tint but the same would not be noticeable on the areas you plan to apply

Also, you may want to check with 3M on PPF:
http://solutions.3mindia.co.in/wps/p...offerings/ppf/
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...rd-Pro-Series/

Someone in this forum got the same applied on the Honda City console and the results were really good.

MODS: Please merge with earlier post if possible as I could not edit due to 30 minute timeout window

Last edited by neel911 : 13th August 2014 at 10:49.
Old 13th August 2014, 10:56   #111
BANNED

Quote:
One thing I wanted to add though is that over 2-3 years, it might develop a mild yellow tint but the same would not be noticeable on the areas you plan to apply

Also, you may want to check with 3M on PPF:
http://solutions.3mindia.co.in/wps/p...offerings/ppf/
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...rd-Pro-Series/

Someone in this forum got the same applied on the Honda City console and the results were really good.

MODS: Please merge with earlier post if possible as I could not edit due to 30 minute timeout window
Thanks Neel. This information helps. I ordered the scratch protector from gadget shields. I will keep you posted on how the installation goes Cutting it to the precision might be a slightly challenging, i will get there.
Old 13th August 2014, 11:00   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santhosh_lv View Post
Thanks Neel. This information helps. I ordered the scratch protector from gadget shields. I will keep you posted on how the installation goes Cutting it to the precision might be a slightly challenging, i will get there.
Awesome . I'm sure you'll love it. One trick for cutting it precisely, is to get a butter/tracing paper and create a cut out based on requirements. Once that is precise, just place it on screen guard and cut along those lines. I've actually safely stored all those templates I created for my Honda City just incase there is a need to use them again
Old 16th August 2014, 22:19   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Engine Performance
=============
The iVTEC engine from Honda is very smooth. I believe they are one of the pioneers for Petrol Engines in this segment.

'D' mode
----------

'D' mode with ECON
-----------------------

'S' mode
-----------

'S' mode with ECON
----------------------

Thank you for the nice review.
A quick question on the CVT automatic performance in city traffic. You did explain the modes pretty well, but how is your experience putting these modes in operation? Low rpm turbo lag, etc.?

By any chance did you have had the chance to test drive any other CVT vehicle on Indian road?
Old 27th August 2014, 12:40   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Neel,
Glad to know that your car is doing well and unicorn should be thanking you for the good care you are taking. I have a query on the passenger side airbag. My neighbour recently got a honda city (SV diesel). How can we disable the passenger airbag? In the manual it days about a slot on the passenger side where we need to slot in the key and turn. I can't locate this slot on the passenger side. Can you please have a look on your car and let me know if it have any openings?
Thanks

Last edited by 999 : 27th August 2014 at 13:02.
Old 10th September 2014, 13:02   #115
BHPian

Hey Neel. First of all let me appreciate your timely updates about your Unicorn! I have booked the same version since June in Golden brown metallic. Just wanted to know about the sound quality of the audio system, does it have folder navigation for pen drive.

I am in the tedious process of creating my play list of songs in my 32gb pen drive.

How would you suggest to arrange different types of genres and artists. How are your settings for the bass and treble how's the range. I won't be able to upgrade my system so need this valuable info.

How often do you stop at a signal and change to neutral? Or due just keep it in D and use brakes?
Old 10th September 2014, 14:30   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight.rider View Post
Hey Neel. First of all let me appreciate your timely updates about your Unicorn! I have booked the same version since June in Golden brown metallic. Just wanted to know about the sound quality of the audio system,
The sound quality on SV is very average. Speaker upgrade highly recommended.
Quote:
does it have folder navigation for pen drive. I am in the tedious process of creating my play list of songs in my 32gb pen drive. How would you suggest to arrange different types of genres and artists.
All folders/sub folders are put at same top level folder. So if you have nested folders, it would still show all of them at same level.
Quote:

How are your settings for the bass and treble how's the range. I won't be able to upgrade my system so need this valuable info.
I keep treble at max and bass somewhere in middle. Again, nothing satisfactory but this is the best I could get from the mediocre speakers given in SV variant. One thing I noticed however is that few songs play really well (related to the quality/bits rate that song was recorded/created in)

Quote:
How often do you stop at a signal and change to neutral? Or due just keep it in D and use brakes?
If it's a signal and wait is more than 15 seconds, I push it to neutral and pull the hand brake (if my car starts sliding due to slope roads which is common in Bangalore). This gives some rest to my feet as well.
neel911 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2014, 22:36   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Just wanted to know about the sound quality of the audio system, does it have folder navigation for pen drive.

I am in the tedious process of creating my play list of songs in my 32gb pen drive.

How would you suggest to arrange different types of genres and artists. How are your settings for the bass and treble how's the range. I won't be able to upgrade my system so need this valuable info.
Hey , i found the sound quality in the SV variant to be below par and it seriously needs a upgrade even if you appreciate quality sound a little bit, i've got upgrades in my car and the result is very satisfactory.

As far as arranging songs is concerned , i usually download singles and create folders and name them after the month , i don't follow a routine but create a new folder when i've added about 30 songs.

I used my ipod touch and made playlists on monthly basis and used to arrange music in the order i wanted it to play , but all of a sudden after two years all my playlists vanished and i decided to go the standard folder way.

Now i just add number suffix before the song name (01,02,03) and the City H.U plays the songs in that order , whenever i want to add a song in between say 02 and 03 , i name it 2a , 2b and so on .

The only catch here is that you have to delete and copy the entire folder from your PC everytime you add a new song in this sequence , else it'll play that song in the end.
Old 10th September 2014, 23:02   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketscience View Post
Hey , i found the sound quality in the SV variant to be below par and it seriously needs a upgrade even if you appreciate quality sound a little bit, i've got upgrades in my car and the result is very satisfactory.
Which speaker did you upgrade to and how much did it cost?

RavenAvi,
I'm not able to find the post where you recommended the speakers. Can you share the details?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketscience View Post

The only catch here is that you have to delete and copy the entire folder from your PC everytime you add a new song in this sequence , else it'll play that song in the end.
Thanks for pointing this. This is a bit painful. Each new folder added post initial dump, appear all the way bottom of the list of folders. The only work around as mentioned, is to re-add all folders(old+new) every time you want to add a new folder
neel911 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2014, 23:41   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Which speaker did you upgrade to and how much did it cost?
I have the following installed in my car :-

Front Speakers - JBL P660C
Rear Speakers - Hertz DSK 365.3
Subwoofer - Lightning Audio L1 - S412
Amplifier - Lightning Audio LA 4100

1-I retained the front speakers from my previous car.
2-Rear speakers were just meant to be fillers since i never sit there , but they perform better than expected , above average for sure.
3-Front speakers and Sub are connected to the 4 channel amplifier.
4-I got the boot and front doors damped.
5-The prices for the front speakers are not relivant today , but you'll get similarly performing speakers for 7-10k.
6-The rear speakers costed about 5k.
7-Paid 19k for everything else - Sub , amp ,wiring & damping and i don't know individual costs for each of them.

P.S - Although individual tastes vary , but if you want a little bright sound with decent mid bass (this is the kind of sound i like , i listen to Hip-Hop , R&B and bollywood music) in speakers which are reasonably priced, and don't want to get amp or sub installed , i think Infinity Kappa series components all over and damping , in front doors atleast should do the trick.

Last edited by Rocketscience : 10th September 2014 at 23:47.
Rocketscience is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2014, 15:00   #120
BHPian

As said by everyone in the forum the sound quality of SV variant is below average, i too agree on the same.

Couple of weeks back, Did change the Fabric insert in door trim with leather trim. During the process the door panels were removed and took a snap of the speaker.

You cannot make out anything from the looks of the speaker

Picture for your reference, planning to upgrade with infinity kappa components later
Attached Thumbnails
2014 Honda City SV CVT Automatic - My White Unicorn-img_3473.jpg  

Most Viewed