Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2014, 12:52   #16
BHPian

Re: A Skoda makes way for another Skoda - My Rapid 1.6L TDI

Congratulations, mate on the rapid elegance.

Very nicely written, crisp and elaborate presentation of the possession.

Why did you not go in for the ultima?

I think the package is good. In fact, I find the lining lends a sporty look to the car.

Plus the accessories, the seat covers and the rear camera, coupled with teh sat nav system infact complement the already good audio in the car.

What was the final on road price for the car?
deepfusion is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2014, 14:50   #17
BHPian

Very well written review, Narsi.

Superb choice of the Skoda Rapid, that engine is a Gem! You have exactly nailed down the smallest of observations in the Rapid. Continuing with the Skoda badge after the Fabia would have been a nice experience.

Many Congrats on the possession! Wish you happy cruising miles ahead!
Satshan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2014, 14:04   #18
BHPian

Yesterday marked the completion of 1st month with my ride. The ODO read 1917km when I parked the vehicle yesterday at 11pm. After the end of first month of ownership, I can say that I am very happy with my ride. The only niggle till now is the broken plastic cover in the arm rest which I have explained few posts below. I hope I don't face any more niggles.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitta Pradhan View Post
Hi Narsi,

Let me be the first to congratulate you for your brand new Rapid. Loved reading your excellently written review. Upgrading to a Skoda from another Skoda makes me to believe that the horror stories we very often hear about Skoda service & the cost of maintenance are not much of a bother now.
Thanks for your wishes Chitta Pradhan. As I have already mentioned it all depends on how you get the job done from the A$$. If we are firm, we can get the job done and be happy.

Regarding your TD of Rapid, I am sure that you will fall in love with the beast. It will impress you a lot, especially in high speeds and the way it gobbles uneven roads at that speed. I have given my comments in bold below.

Quote:
it seems that I will miss:-
- the dead pedal
This is a serious omission on part of Skoda but the foot well is spacious and you will get used to it.

- electrically folding mirrors (both are extremely useful features, can not be retro fitted either)
You will miss it

- silent cabin to an extent
I agree Verna has a well refined engine, but Rapid is also not very bad. The noise vanishes as soon as the speed builds and the engine reaches optimum operating temperature. The cabin is well insulated

-6th gear (does 100 kmph @ 1800 rpm)
Even Rapid does 100kmph @ 1800 - 2000 rpm

- company fitted rear sensors & camera
The rear view camera that I have got fixed from dealer works well and the job is neatly done. The camera is fixed in the bumper while the display is separate which you might not like. The sensors also work well it does not occupy much space either

- cooled glove box
Even I miss this.

- peace of mind of having a Hyundai
Cannot comment as I have no first hand experience of owning cars other than Skoda and HM Amby

- probably cheaper maintenance cost.
Annual maintenance for Rapid is around 9k. I am talking about service alone

- Indian style of wiper/ lighting controls
You will get used to it in no time

Quote:
I will gain-
-lesser turbo lag
True

- better dynamics at high speeds
True

-better steering feel
True

- better suspension set up
True. The difference will be huge at high speeds

- projector head lamps
True if you opt for Elegance variant

-rear AC vents
True

- air release botton of fuel tank
True

- steering rake adjustments.
True

Quote:
Am I wrong or missing any thing important??

Few queries-
1. Verna's driver seat hight adjustment is a waste. It just adjusts the angle of the base rather than height. I am forced to keep it at the lowest position always. How it is for Rapid?

The adjustment range offered in Rapid's driver seat is phenomenal. The range is large for both height and reach. You will be very comfortable.

2. If I go for the top end version ( not Ultima ), then I have to install rear sensors & camera as I am so used to it in my Verna. How much extra I have to pay for those add ons and is the quality equivalent to that of Verna.

I would suggest you to go for any one, either camera or sensor. My preference will be camera alone. When you have a visual aide, I don't think there is need of sensor. The cost is 9k and it is advisable to fit it from dealer to avoid any warranty issues.

3. Are the spare parts of Rapid readily available? I presume those should be costly than Verna. If so, by what % ? If the variation is around 10-15 % it's ok for me. If higher, then I have to think hard.

Not very sure about % difference is costs, but the parts except rare ones are readily available.

4. How reliable is Skoda. Since you have used one for long, you know the best. I am asking this because Germans are surely less reliable than Japs.

My experience with Skoda - Reliable

5. You felt that Vento with same engine was nosier. Is the difference significant?

Yes it is significant. Moreover, the suspension is again soft in Vento like that of Verna.

6. Verna has an illumination control for the dash & speedo console. Very
useful for night driving. Has Rapid got this feature.

There is no control as such, but the dash and speedometer dims when you switch on the parking lights.

Finally what's your opinion on my thoughts of changing from Verna to Rapid.

My question to you is, why would you sell a car which has done only 44k kms even if you get good resale? It has lot of life left in it. I would not have sold my 77k (4.5 years) run Fabia if there was no need for more space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
Good Write up and congrats on your new ride
Thanks mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque18 View Post
Congrats! awesome machine with loads of driving pleasure awaits you

A query - Can you describe the functionality of the projector headlight setup?
I am considering swapping my halogen units with these projector units. A fellow bhp-ian informs me that when you switch to the high beam, the low beam(projectors) dims. I don't have any reason not to believe him but it does sound a bit strange to me. I would appreciate if you could confirm this behavior for me.

Regards
Thanks mate for the wishes. As for the projectors, yes they dim when high beam is on but the difference is not noticeable from driver seat. The lighting set up is really good and it is awesome for our highways. Believe me or not, I forgot to switch on the headlights more than 4 times in last one month. The fogs were switched on and it was inside city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pferdestarke View Post
Congratulations on your Rapid mate. Looks stunning in cappuccino beige. What an exhaustive thread! Nicely written. Happy mile munching

Now, that definitely seems like a cost-cutting measure. Be a bit heedful with the key fob, losing it would warrant the replacement of whole central locking module which costs a whooping ₹16000.
Thanks mate for the wishes and the caution .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanksta View Post
Congrats! on your new Skoda, It is a handsome looking car and it wears the Cappuccino beige beautifully, though still in my mind red/black are the best colors on the Rapid. That 1.6L TDi is a cracker and wish you many miles of happy motoring.
Thanks Shanksta

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfusion View Post
Congratulations, mate on the rapid elegance.

Very nicely written, crisp and elaborate presentation of the possession.

Why did you not go in for the ultima?

I think the package is good. In fact, I find the lining lends a sporty look to the car.

Plus the accessories, the seat covers and the rear camera, coupled with teh sat nav system infact complement the already good audio in the car.

What was the final on road price for the car?
Thanks deepfusion for the wishes. I have documented the reason for not buying the Ultima variant here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3384667 and here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3396258

I felt it was just a marketing gimmick.

Regarding the price and discounts, here you go

On Road Price: 11,26,978 (After discount)
Freebies: Extended Warranty
Reverse Camera: 9,000
Seat Covers: 10,500
Price including accessories: 11,46,478

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satshan View Post
Very well written review, Narsi.

Superb choice of the Skoda Rapid, that engine is a Gem! You have exactly nailed down the smallest of observations in the Rapid. Continuing with the Skoda badge after the Fabia would have been a nice experience.

Many Congrats on the possession! Wish you happy cruising miles ahead!
Thanks Satshan for the wishes. Yes, it is a nice experience to continue with Skoda. In fact, I am addicted to the European cars.

Last edited by narsi_6989 : 28th April 2014 at 14:07.
Old 28th April 2014, 15:10   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narsi_6989 View Post
Finally what's your opinion on my thoughts of changing from Verna to Rapid.

My question to you is, why would you sell a car which has done only 44k kms even if you get good resale? It has lot of life left in it. I would not have sold my 77k (4.5 years) run Fabia if there was no need for more space.
Thanks Narsi for your point-wise & detailed reply.

Getting good resale is one of the considerations. Four tyres & battery will be due for change soon, costing me approx 40 k, thus effectively getting a price of 8.9 L for my car.

Other reasons

- too low seating both for driver & passengers- hope Rapid should be better.

- lower GC is a concern.

- very bad ride quality particularly when loaded in wavy & broken roads.

Ex-show room price of Rapid- TDI-Ambition with alloys- 9.48 L
Road tax, registration , handling etc- 0.60 L ( approx )
Insurance- 0.20 L ( as I will carry forward 50% of NCB from my current car)
Seat coverrs & mats etc- 0.15 L
Sensor/Camera- 0.10 L

Total on road- 10.53 lacs
Expected discount- 0.30 L

Net cost to me- 10.23 L

Except ex-show room price others are my estimation & I am sure will not vary significantly.

Thus I have to pay 1.33 L ( 10.23 L- 8.9 L ) in effect for a brand new car of same segment in exchange of my old car . Now I have to evaluate if the net gain for me in Rapid in terms of value ( like better ride, steering feel etc. as discussed earlier & of course getting a brand new car- I love the cabin smell of new cars ) worth more than 1.33 L or not.

This week end, taking TD of Rapid. Will update my experience & final decision. Thank you again for your valuable feedback.

Cheers
Old 28th April 2014, 17:15   #20
Senior - BHPian

Many congratulations Narsi for the Rapid Elegance.
Wish you many happy miles with the car and an niggle free performance.
Enjoy your ride and drive safe.

A few opinion from my side, though you may not agree to them :

a. I always loved the looks of the Rapid from the front than the Vento.
b. I felt that the NHV levels of the Rapid was better than Vento, but people told me that the NHV levels of the Vento have been bettered in the subsequent facelifts. Now I'm hearing the same comment from you.
c. The interiors of the Vento are much better and looks more upmarket than the Rapid.
d. As far as ride and handling goes the rapid felt slightly better than the Vento.
Sommos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2014, 17:58   #21
BHPian

Nicely written narsi. Welcome to Club Rapid, wish you many many fun trips on this beast of a mile cruncher.
santoshr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2014, 18:12   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
Many congratulations Narsi for the Rapid Elegance.
Wish you many happy miles with the car and an niggle free performance.
Enjoy your ride and drive safe.

A few opinion from my side, though you may not agree to them :

a. I always loved the looks of the Rapid from the front than the Vento.
b. I felt that the NHV levels of the Rapid was better than Vento, but people told me that the NHV levels of the Vento have been bettered in the subsequent facelifts. Now I'm hearing the same comment from you.
c. The interiors of the Vento are much better and looks more upmarket than the Rapid.
d. As far as ride and handling goes the rapid felt slightly better than the Vento.
Thanks Sommos. Regarding point (b) you have mentioned, I did not say Vento has better NVH levels. I said Rapid has quieter cabin than Vento. Apart from that we are on the same page on other 3 points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by santoshr View Post
Nicely written narsi. Welcome to Club Rapid, wish you many many fun trips on this beast of a mile cruncher.
Thanks Santosh bhai
Old 28th April 2014, 18:44   #23
BHPian

Congrats on the car! She looks good.
Loved the team Bhp sticker at the back. It reads-
" Live to Drive- Rapid"
bigben is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2014, 20:19   #24
BANNED

Re: Let the Pictures Do the Talking - Interiors

Quote:
Check out the lever inside the fuel tank opening. This is what I was talking about in my previous posts. Once you fill to the brim, push and hold it. The air is released and you can fill 3-4 liters more:
Attachment 1234169
Do not do this at any cost.

It is acts such as this that will lead to fires and explosions. It is specifically advised to avoid doing this in your manual. The space that is left after the fuel cut-off is expansion space that is required. You are not supposed to fill in any fuel after this cut off.

Please read your manual completely to avoid any harmful practices.
VeyronSuperSprt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2014, 21:18   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
Congrats on the car! She looks good.
Loved the team Bhp sticker at the back. It reads-
" Live to Drive- Rapid"
Thanks bigben for the wishes. I specifically wanted the sticker to read so

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeyronSuperSprt View Post
Do not do this at any cost.

It is acts such as this that will lead to fires and explosions. It is specifically advised to avoid doing this in your manual. The space that is left after the fuel cut-off is expansion space that is required. You are not supposed to fill in any fuel after this cut off.

Please read your manual completely to avoid any harmful practices.
Thanks for pointing this out to us. I will go through the manual and proceed.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another sad day with the car today. My dad took the car to Palamner in AP today. It was our driver driving the car. While passing a narrow road en route, the tyre came in contact with sharp edges of the road causing side wall damage. The tyre is useless and my heart is broken. . The car is still young, just 2300 kms and 1 month old.

I just spoke to the SA and even at this hour he was ready to help. He assured me that he will do all in his powers to get the tyre replaced under warranty. Will be visiting the service centre tomorrow. Hoping for the best. Will keep you guys posted.

Last edited by narsi_6989 : 28th April 2014 at 21:19.
Old 30th April 2014, 14:58   #26
BHPian

Congrats Narsi on your new buy. Loved the review and the ownership experience .

For a lot of us who have been hearing and reading about the Skoda horror stories, your experience with both your old and new rides comes like a welcome relief. Hope Skoda keeps on improving on these aspects.

The Rapid is sure a looker and I just love the simple yet beautiful and elegant design, both external and internal. The quality, fit and finish of this Czech beauty needs no introduction as it is leagues ahead in its segment with an exception of Hyundai perhaps.
Me too am a fan of clean lines and design and don't find the fluidic design language on the Hyundai and to an extent the new Honda City impressive. I'm of the opinion that the previous gen City looked better.

Once again congrats and wishing you many miles of blissful and safe journey with your Rapid!!
Mahesh Prasad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2014, 16:18   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahesh Prasad View Post
Congrats Narsi on your new buy. Loved the review and the ownership experience .
Thanks Mahesh for your kind words and wishes

Quote:
tyre came in contact with sharp edges of the road causing side wall damage. The tyre is useless and my heart is broken. . The car is still young, just 2300 kms and 1 month old.
Here is a quick update on the turn of events since yesterday.

Went to the Skoda Service yesterday where I was redirected to meet the Service Engineer from Apollo Tyres. It is Apollo Tyres who is responsible for the Warranty related issues with tyres. After a meeting and tyre inspection with Mr. Mohamadi Hazefa from Apollo Tyres, my claim was rejected siting external damage as the reason. However, they were ready to consider warranty replacement on goodwill basis since the car was just a month and ~2300 km old. For this Apollo Tyres require a request mail from Skoda Service/Showroom. This was arranged and the mail sent this morning. Now waiting for reply from Apollo Tyres. Fingers crossed.

This morning noticed one more feature missing from Rapid which was present in my Fabia. Whenever I drive Fabia with any of the doors not properly closed, there is a constant audible 'Ding' which cautions me that something is wrong. The same 'Ding' is heard if I take the keys out with either the indicator or parking lights on. In Rapid though, I hear the 'Ding' if the parking light is on and not on any of the other instances stated above. Was driving with doors not closed properly for nearly 100 meters this morning before noticing the same in instrument console. Need to check whether this is programmable at dealer level. Long time Rapid owners can throw some light on this.

In the mean time a quick review on behalf of my dad and our driver. I would like to present their views as well.

Both of them felt that the car is vibrating more than Fabia. They are able to feel it inside the cabin. After listening to them for a long time and then taking a drive I too felt the same. Illusion? I am asking this because I was driving with all the thoughts of my discussion with dad in mind. In addition to this, our driver felt that the brakes are not as effective as Fabia. May be it was because he was driving this car for the first time and is not used to it.
Old 30th April 2014, 17:19   #28
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Narsi, I was quite surprised to see that you chose a sedan. I remember the discussions last year were for a SUV. But in the end the Rapid matched all your requirements. And quite a nicely written log even if it was your first time. Have fun clocking miles on this car.

By the way the selection criteria seemed skewed towards the Rapid
motomaverick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2014, 21:28   #29
BHPian

A very well written post. One can sense the pride of the owner and the love you have for your car.

I too wanted to buy a petrol Skoda Rapid, but everyone talked me out of it and now I am planning to go for a Honda City.

With regards to looks, I really feel that no car sold in India can come close to the Skoda Rapid. In fact, a black Rapid can very well be mistaken to be some Diplomat's car which has lost it's way from Europe !!!!

Happy and safe driving ..hope to hear more stories of your Rapid.
nda992 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2014, 11:04   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Narsi for your point-wise & detailed reply.

Getting good resale is one of the considerations. Four tyres & battery will be due for change soon, costing me approx 40 k, thus effectively getting a price of 8.9 L for my car.

Other reasons

- too low seating both for driver & passengers- hope Rapid should be better.

- lower GC is a concern.

- very bad ride quality particularly when loaded in wavy & broken roads.

Ex-show room price of Rapid- TDI-Ambition with alloys- 9.48 L
Road tax, registration , handling etc- 0.60 L ( approx )
Insurance- 0.20 L ( as I will carry forward 50% of NCB from my current car)
Seat coverrs & mats etc- 0.15 L
Sensor/Camera- 0.10 L

Total on road- 10.53 lacs
Expected discount- 0.30 L

Net cost to me- 10.23 L

Except ex-show room price others are my estimation & I am sure will not vary significantly.

Thus I have to pay 1.33 L ( 10.23 L- 8.9 L ) in effect for a brand new car of same segment in exchange of my old car . Now I have to evaluate if the net gain for me in Rapid in terms of value ( like better ride, steering feel etc. as discussed earlier & of course getting a brand new car- I love the cabin smell of new cars ) worth more than 1.33 L or not.

This week end, taking TD of Rapid. Will update my experience & final decision. Thank you again for your valuable feedback.

Cheers
Pls bargain hard.

I got rapid ultima elegance at a very mouth watering on road price, on 18th of April. So, Rapid ambition should be much less.

Most Viewed